back to article iOS 6.1 KNACKERED our mobile phone networks, claim Vodafone, Three

Vodafone has urged iPhone 4S owners to not upgrade to iOS 6.1, the latest available, because it believes the software jams 3G and phone connections. Vodafone claimed that the bug is Apple's fault and that it affects Voda's rivals as well as its own UK network, although it only named Three Austria* as another impacted telco. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
FAIL

Better dig up Jobs: trying out test firmware from Apple as it investigates the issue

Before his DoD, Jobs used to wander forth and do his "Apple defective" spiel and most of his suckers would swallow the platitudes.

By an Austrian cellco saying: "trying out test firmware from Apple as it investigates the issue" it is obvious Apple is trying a new tactic - plausible deniability".

Doesn't work, guys, you aren't like the emperor with his suit of invisible clothes.

Bronze badge

What I'd like to know is -

How much extra bandwidth per handset has been used due to this syncing bug?

Have any users on capped tariffs - either at home or on the mobile network ran into overage charges or is the extra bandwidth consumed just not that large?

And yes I am aware that Android is not immune and it's not that long ago that there were articles about various networks demanding Google remove certain offending apps from the Play store due to network performance issues (read: opening far too many connections in quick succession in a loop)

Anonymous Coward

Copyright grab?

Apple are just making an attempt to take on the hackers and other malcontents who try to disable services by claiming a copyright infringement on the concept.

Silver badge

Do they have an interop for phones?

I remember the real interops. With geeks in heated discussions as to whose fault it was that brand x wouldn't talk to brand Y. Despite them both absolutely maintaining they had adhered strictly to the RFC..

Or the dreadful bug I uncovered in JavaScript. When is a string a number? when you do an arithmetic operation on it. When is a number a string? when you do a string operation on it.

What about a conditional expressions? ah well. That depends if you are Firefox or Internet Exploder, you see. The JavaScript specification didn't extend to that..

Bet you vodaphones kit replies with a legal, but non standard code, and apples IOS says 'what'? discards it, and tries again...and again..

Megaphone

are the SLAVES holding it wrong again?

Satan worshiper Steve Jobs joins us from the dead to argue YES.

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft are planting these stories in the media

Apple phones work. They always work. They are cool. I am cool. You should copy cool people. Buy an Apple phone. It works. It always works. Its cool. You can be cool.

Bronze badge

Re: Microsoft are planting these stories in the media

I would love to upvote you, just fear someone might miss the irony. Next time please use "Joke Alert!"

Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft are planting these stories in the media

"Apple phones work. They always work. They are cool. I am cool. You should copy cool people. Buy an Apple phone. It works. It always works. Its cool. You can be cool"

Copying peolpe isn't cool. "Cool" WTF? isn't attained by purchasing something deemed as "cool" WTF?

xyz
Happy

Damn....

I hate Apple products,

I also hate Vodafone products

I'm beginning to feel a lot like Aldi

Anonymous Coward

Re: Damn....

What an angry person you are. Did they both run over your cat?

WTF?

I'll be amazed if anybody in Central London has noticed...

..because vodafones's data connections very rarely work at all around the EC2, EC3 or EC4 areas during the working day.

I very much doubt that there is any extra bandwidth involved. If I had to take a wild guess someone has disabled a channel in the modem firmware called CELL FACH, and due to the high amount of data to-ing and fro-ing from the AUTD MS Exchange Server the devices are using a more resource intensive CELL DCH channel. CELL FACH can be spread fairly well over hundreds of devices at a slower channel rate (perfect for email) but there are only a finite number of CELL DCH channels and they are dedicated to each specific user in a data/voice context. If a cell has 64 DCH's and all of them are in use for AUTD email, there is no further room for other iPhone 4S's, and no abilty to make/receive voice calls!

A colleague of mine has not been able to receive calls on Orange for most of the morning on his 6.1/4S, I suspect it's because his phone is too busy trying to hog a DCH for data! This certainly doesn't seem to be limited to vodafone though - their CN isn't *that* different to everyone elses, but they tend to have a shedload more corporate users.

FAIL

Actually I should correct myself - If a cell has 64 DCH's and all of them are in use for AUTD email, there is no further room for ANY phones to make/receive voice calls or perform DCH related activity! On reflection some of the HS channels might be still usable but it is definitely going to be a poorly cell.

Anonymous Coward

"and all phone users are affected by the fruity overload:"

So its the fruity owners who are causing my phone to drop off the network? Wankers!

Anonymous Coward

The real reason

Simple. Apple releases updates for their phones when they want. No operator approves the release.

With other phones it can often be the networks themselves releasing the update. This is because they want to scrutinise the update and ensure it causes no issues on their network.

This is not because of any problem with the iOS software. It is just a symptom of the very complex nature of mobile comms, lots of different vendors, differing versions of firmware. All deviating slightly from specs or having buggy implementations.

I imagine many Android phones running community firmware could have similar issues, it's just such problems don't attract the news media like Apple does.

Silver badge

Re: The real reason

But if the problem is that IOS updates are rushed out ASAP to get a "Everyone runs the latest version of IOS, but Android users are left waiting" headline, then that's still a reasonable criticism of Apple's method. Android updates could have bugs, sure, but the point is they go through the networks.

What with this and the IOS maps fiasco, can people stop complaining about slow updates on Android - there's a benefit to testing, and going through the network operators.

Anonymous Coward

"This is not because of any problem with the iOS software. It is just a symptom of the very complex nature of mobile comms, lots of different vendors, differing versions of firmware"

Of course its iOS at fault. Otherwise an update would not fix the problem iOS has caused.

Apple should be fined. My network connection is often intermittant (where it used to work perfectly), now I know why. Thanks Apple.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums