Feeds

back to article Tennessee bloke quits job over satanic wage slip

A Tennessee born-again Christian has quit his job after receiving a wage slip marked "666" despite previously warning his employers of a serious aversion to the Number of the Beast. Walter Slonopas, 52, toiled as a maintenance worker at Contech Casting in Clarksville until bosses issued him a Form W-2 bearing the satanic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: wrong number?

"however when translated from Latin to Hebrew it enumerates as 616"

Reminds me of a guide in Israel explaining that his name "David" looks like TIT in Hebrew letters. In Hebrew spelling you have mostly to guess at the vowel sounds - unless it is a dictionary which then includes lots of scattered dots to indicate what the vowel sound should be.

Holmes

Re: wrong number?

The MAFIAA and chums would disagree.

All true God-fearing Americans who love capitalism and the persuit of $$$ would suggest that Nero (Burning ROM) would be directly opposed to their ideals, allowing heathens to make EVIL ILLEGAL CURSED COMMIE COPIES of their intellectual property.

Ergo, Nero is still a huge threat to Christianity!

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Ooh, it makes you want to shake your fist at the wall and grimace.

Shirley if he believes in such things he should think that its a test of his faith........

Anyhow AC dont be banging on my wall, I might hear you and take a fence then ther would be Hell to pay.......and it wouldnt be just two obols either.

Devil

Idiot

LDS
Silver badge
Devil

My religion forbids me to pay taxes!!!

So the government must accept it and let me respect my deep belief that paying taxes will send me to the worst hell you could imagine and I do not want to damn my soul!

Silver badge
Devil

He should move to New Zealand

His number could be: Sex Sex Sex.

But no, the xstain fundies don't like that word either!

Anonymous Coward

Re: He should move to New Zealand

In Swedish six is spelled "sex". My girlfriend used it as a reminder to take her P-Pill at a regular time of day - 6pm.

Bronze badge

Re: He should move to New Zealand

There are no sex in heaven, right?

Anonymous Coward

It's Tennessee

He could be the CEO of the company.

Joke

I believe some compensation is in order

$666 ought to cover it.

Gold badge
Facepalm

How to improve the world.

1) Build a very large asylum.

2) Ask Christians; "Do you really believe any of the rabid, ficticious waffle in the Book of Revelations?"

3) Anyone who answers "yes" gets a rubber room all to themselves.

There are probably quite a few other bits that should be taken with a pinch of salt, but anyone who actually believes that bollocks really is away with the fairies and should be forced to have others do their thinking for them.

Anonymous Coward

Re: How to improve the world.

It's called the Christian "Heaven" - as no-one else will be allowed there. I seem to remember Terry Pratchett made a neat word sketch of the nature of all the variants of Heaven.

Bronze badge
Pint

My personal opinion of the Book of Revelations is that it supports the hypothesis that recreational chemicals were in common use in those times...

//beer, because no LSD icon

Silver badge

Cheaper solution

1, Build very small health spa

2, ask: Do you really believe any of the rabid, ficticious waffle in the Book of Revelations?

3, anyone who answers no is allowed in.

(With apologies to wonko the sane)

DJO
Bronze badge

My personal opinion of the Book of Revelations is that it supports the hypothesis that recreational chemicals were in common use in those times...

Let's see, 40 days and nights wandering a desert with nothing to eat except the occasional cactus or mushroom. Draw your own conclusions.

Silver badge

@Peter Simpson 1 (was: Re: How to improve the world.)

Both might be the results of "recreation", but Syphilis, not drugs, is what was destroying the mind of the poor bastard who laid down the roots of what we now call "The Book of Revelation".

Silver badge

@DJO (was: Re: How to improve the world.)

If the wandering around in the desert actually happened, it was many centuries before Revelations was first transcribed. If you're going to pooh-pooh this (probably historical) shit, at least try get to within a thousand years or so. Ta.

Bronze badge

Playing Devils advocate...

Lets say his rampant belief in fairy tales is rational and assume that these deities are at work.

Rather than assuming that this is the devils work him being given the magic number for the Australian fuzz, perhaps it is Satan's opposite number trying to either send a message or prank the poor sod.

After all, we know his holiest has a great sense of humour (e.g. earthquakes, tsunamis, promoting religious fundamentalism, the X Factor etc...)

Silver badge

numbers game

But how comfortable is he using numerals that were brought to us by Moslems who called it the 'Indian Numbers'.

He ought to be using Roman numerals.

(spell checker queries 'moslems' and returns with 'mosley') -- I'll leave it as it is)

Just start the numbering from 1000 or 10000 for Payroll

I have seen this issue a few times in the UK with Christians (666,333) and religious and non religious people with number 13 and people from Asia (basically any number with a 4, 12, 6).

So anything that tracks an employee I generally start from 1000 or 10000 - I know some of the phobia's to certain numbers seem silly and illogical to some of us - but some of these people are genuinely scared as though the system or someone is hexing them - it is easier and cheaper to just adapt deployment settings in the long run.

I can remember installing a phone system where the owner wanted the internal phone system starting with a 6 - and yes you guessed it he wanted 666 (because people would think twice about the need to call him with a trivial matter before they could solve it themselves - I have to say it did work.)

Devil

But he got this number supposedly randomly, twice?

Maybe there's more to this... Needs more exorcism.

Devil

Re: But he got this number supposedly randomly, twice?

If he got the number twice, I suspect it would be because if you were to list all the employees, he'd be 666th on the list. Basically, even if he does get a different employee number, he's still the 666th.

The same applies to anyone who has an irrational fear of the number 13. If you've ever stayed on the 14th floor of a hotel, you're really on the 13th floor.

Facepalm

"God is worth more than money,"

Specious argument based on fiat deity versus fiat currency.

Murica.

Silver badge

Funny thing is....

Biblically, 666 is also the number of man.

Bronze badge
Go

Re: Funny thing is....

Man is 5, according to the Pixies, an authoritative source.

if man is 5

then the devil is 6

then god is 7

this monkey's gone to heaven

Bronze badge

useful idiocy

One of my cousins used to live at an address where the number '36' was quite prominent. It was also just down the street from the local Watchtowerite (or Mormon, or possibly some other brain-dead collection of misfits, it's been a while and I forget exactly which group) infestation. He'd get lots and lots and lots of them attempting to peddle their nonsense, right up until the day when he pointed to the address number and asked 'Does three sixes have any significance for you?' That sonic boom you may have heard was the idiots departing, never to return. Ah, bliss.

FAIL

Good riddance?

In most countries in the civilized world discriminating against religion would incur law suits and recompense. Fuck that! I work for a medium sized software company. What we do requires a certain level of intelligence. A person showing up at a job interview and stating that he believes that a book written quite some time ago is the words of God, simply does not qualify as intelligent. Therefor he is unhireable. He should seek happiness and fulfillment elswhere.

Am I right or am I right?

Silver badge

Re: Good riddance?

You'd be in breach of the Equality Act of 2006.

Don't downvote me. I don't make the rules.

Silver badge

> A person showing up at a job interview and stating that he believes that a book written quite some time ago is the words of God, simply does not qualify as intelligent.

Surely the Holy book of K&R should still be revered? - even if you do use C++

Yes all people of religious faith are complete mornons. None of us ever struggles to think beyond the myopic strawmen that you create to define us. Obviously, discrimination on the grounds of a personal belief system is utterly reasonable and you aren't a halfwit without the ability to empathise with people of slightly differeing viewpoints.

Whether anyone who would want to work with someone who is so obviously inflexible and unable to empathise with other people is another matter...

Gimp

> Surely the Holy book of K&R should still be revered? - even if you do use C++

Indeed. That is the old testament though. When I first joined the order of the Jedi, Bjarne Stroustrup made me place my hand in The C++ Language, by himself, and swear that I would delete everything created with new, as free releases the mallocs of old.

Silver badge

> a halfwit without the ability to empathise with people of slightly differeing viewpoints.

Indeed there is no right and wrong answer and always two sides to every arguement.

My point of view was that Li-ion batteries were too unreliable to fit to a 787 but my colleagues assured me that they had prayed and truly had faith that they would be safe - so in a spirit of ecumenical tolerance I went along with their plans.

Now I hope to battle those people in health and safety who believe in this dis-proven "theory" of gravity and insist on safety railing.

Didn't the QI elves dig out evidence that the actual number of the beast was 665 or 667 but never 666? I probably shouldn't have typed that....

The most hilarious thing about this is the number is completely made up by the author of Omen. There is no reference to '666' whatsoever in the Bible.

FAIL

Re: 666

Revelation 13:18 - "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

The wording differs slightly in different versions of the Bible (King James, New International, etc), but it's there.

Or have I missed some very subtle trolling here? ;-)

Silver badge

Re: 666

>Or have I missed some very subtle trolling here? ;-)

It's not in the original - only the "cash-in" sequel (The one with the upbeat happy ending and all the violence removed)

FAIL

If an integer can make you crap your pants and quit your job then I question your mental stability.

Silver badge
Coat

Jesus promised to rid us of evil.

Odin promised to rid us of Ice Giants.

Now I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many Ice Giants around these days.

Bronze badge

ice giants

here's one: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Andrei_Kirilenko_in_2011.jpg>

looks as though Odin needs to get back to work.

Silver badge

Re: ice giants

You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. ...

he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't fuck around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

George Carlin

Devil

1010011010 ...

666 that's 29A in hex or 1010011010 in binary ...

Meh

Welcome to why I, and most sane people live as for north as possible. The red state people are quite mad.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Thumb Down

sigh

The merkin bashing has been pretty harsh this week on the site. Almost all the stories can be explained because the US made the mistake of not letting the south leave and become another 3rd world state to the south of us.

Silver badge

Simple solution...

Put a '$' in front of it. When the guy says something like "I can't accept a payment like that", then you will know if he is REAL stupid.

So, quitting was the best solution for everyone. Let's hope he doesn't sue the company for some reason. Given that lawyers exist, I won't hold my breath.

Anonymous Coward

What a dumbarse

Some people are clueless.

Thumb Up

Well, that's one way...

How to get rid of an idiot that you can't fire without paying through the nose in unemployment benefits - just get them to quit! Brilliant!

Devil

The devil made him pull an extended sickie, the devious swine.

Is he getting stress leave sickpay for washing his car?

Terminator

07xxx xxx666

I claim to have the Mobile of the Beast

I am monitoring this thread ...

... and taking names.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.