back to article Oh, Sony, you big tease: Mystery PlayStation reveal date set

Sony has called on hacks and analysts to come to New York next month for an event focused on the PlayStation - an invite that's left pundits and fans predicting the unveiling of the long-awaited PlayStation 4. Naturally, Sony isn’t saying, confirming only that the electronics giant will be discussing its PlayStation business. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

They plan to unveil...

... my credit card details.

If you're into gaming, they're not a terrible investment

Our first gen model finally died on us a couple of weeks ago (fan issue - we'll probably get it repaired) so five years isn't bad for a bit of modern tech, and it isn't even obsolete at the moment. So, I just bought the new slimline model and hopefully that'll last a further few years (the PS4 or whatever they call it will be optional).

Devil

Timing...

IF they have certain insider knowledge, and IF Microsoft are considering presenting the next XBox come E3, then Sony would be smart to present the PS4 now, if it's ready.

Since the PS3 came out quite a bit after the XBox 360 came out, everyone would expect the same thing to happen, ie that Microsoft present the XBox then there's a waiting period for the PS....so a lot of people who don't want to wait/can't wait will go pick up an XBox since it's available, and by the time the PS has come out the XBox will have dropped in price.

It'd be a good timing move by Sony. I just know I won't be interested until they a) stop using proprietary Sony everything, and b) make it a networked media center. The same way that I'll be in two very distinct minds about the XBox if it doesn't improve it's array of media codecs and capabilities. If they stick with apps like XBox Music on Windows 8 - they can screw themselves. It's horrible.

That, and the entire gaming side needs to be beyond awesome. I'd like a modular box, allowing me to upgrade to better hardware as time goes on, like a PC - but with only approved parts that are guaranteed to work.

I am loving our PS3 and it is mainly being used to stream movies from my PC and to watch DVDs and blue ray. My boy who is 6 loves racing games so her gets to use it as it is intended. I like the media side so much I bought a second PS3 for the wife's office\lounge. I will probably buy the next version of the Playstation but mainly for it's media capabilities.

Silver badge

is mainly being used to stream movies from my PC and to watch DVDs and blue ray

By far most of the people I see with playstations nowadays use it only as a media machine. Even if they *used* to be heavy into gaming, today, it's media consumption.

Backwards Compatability ?

I'm suprised nobody has raised this yet but what does everything think the odds are that the PS4 will play PS3 games ?

If it does I'm a dead cert on a release model since my 60gig 1st gen PS3 is running fine but I'm getting nervous about how much longer it will last.

It is doesn't then I may buy a PS3 cheapo slim and stick with the perfectly acceptable PS3 for a while longer. Possibly putting the money into a 3D TV instead :)

Re: Backwards Compatability ?

Backwards compatibility? Zero, especially if the rumoured AMD specs are true. It's possible software emulators for PS1 and PS2 might be included to enable disk loading of those games but I bet that the only PS1 and PS2 compatibility available will be via PSN Store purchases. As for PS3 - that's what they've bought Gaikai for, no?

Trollface

Re: Backwards Compatability ?

I can almost see it now on Playstation Store:

New! Bring your old PS3 games into the future with our PS3 Compatibility Pack! This one-time purchase will allow you to play your PS3 games in glorious 4k resolution*, better than the original!

Pre-purchase now, and get an EXCLUSIVE $ Avatar!**

You can pre-order at the Store now, for just £79.99!

* On selected games. Subject to exclusivity deals.

** One time use only. Non transferable to other consoles. USe of this Avatar is subject to terms and conditions.

Biggest question

Has to be 'what will Sony do to shoot itself in its foot this time round?'

jai
Silver badge

GTA5?

Is this the reason why the GTA5 release date slipped from Spring 2013 to September 17th 2013??

(i doubt it, i guess GTA5 just isn't as near finished as they'd hoped it to be, or they've their sights set on Xmas sales, or trying to avoid the media fallout from all the shootings in the US)

Resistance to online only gaming?

I'm a bit surprised the majority appear to be in favour of hanging on with gritted teeth to optical media, and crying that online distribution is beyong the technical capabilities of the human race. Personally, I like to look forward. Devices without any moving components brings some really great benfits in terms of power consumption, reliability and longevity. Digital distribution destroying jobs in bricks & mortar stores? Sure, but this is just a Luddite's argument and if you can be honest with yourself you know it. Thumb me down if you think technological progess should be halted - I double dare you!

Stop

Re: Resistance to online only gaming?

I've got no problem with progress, but if you can find a way to get the entire UK broadband infrastructure (ignoring the rest of the world for now....) to a point where online-only distribution of 25Gb+ games is a practical proposition for everyone, and do it in time for next Xmas when we might see new consoles, then you really should be offering your services to gov't.

San Andreas just got released as a PS2 classic on PS3, and I'm seeing a fair bit of moaning about how long it's taking people to download it - and that's "only" a few gig. Physical media remains necessary for a lot of people at the moment, and will do for a few years yet...

@Andy - Thanks for the condescension, but the reason I don't want a download-only console is because the publishers will use it as a method to screw me over. EA and the like have not and will not drop their prices to compensate for the reduced costs and content of digital distribution. Hell, they moved off Steam because Valve don't treat their customers badly enough for EA's tastes. At launch, the latest FIFA game was 20 quid more expensive online than in a high street store. That is disgusting, and that's why I don't want an online-only console; it'll be too expensive to play on.

I buy lots and lots and lots of games online, but from Steam, Desura, GoG, etc. Having multiple marketplaces on the PC means competition between them, and as a flag-bearer for the industry Valve were pretty bloody exemplary. The result is a convenient, customer-focused system that benefits me. On a console, you have one marketplace, and you're constantly bombarded with loyalty tests to prove you're not some scum-sucking pre-owned game purchaser (which I am).

OK Greg & Greg, apologies. Reading back my post does sound somewhat confrontational. I do, however, firmly believe this is the direction the industry is going in.

Silver badge

Why download games at all?

Anyone who has the colossal bandwidth needed to download a full retail game in a timely fashion probably has the bandwidth to just stream the thing. For most games any latency is largely irrelevant. Why even bother installing it on a console when the video and sound can be sent over the wire?

Anyway I think most probably they will support disc based games. It would be madness not to. Broadband is not ubiquitous by a long shot and people still want to watch things like blu rays and DVDs.

What's funny...

...is that I've seen complaints about the possibility of lock-outs to prevent re-sale of games, and lots of people banging on about how having a disc-based system would be luddite.

How exactly would a dl-only environment enable a second hand market?

Re: What's funny...

I've been download only for a while now thanks to the PS+ subscription. But then I'm on VM so I only have to avoid peek times to get usable internet speeds.

As for a second hand market. It'd die. I'm sure players who bought second hand would either what for the inevitable price drops, the game to be released as a 'PS4 Classic' or "PS4 Essential' title. or (as I do) what and see what is given away in the PS+ subscription.

For me a combination of PS+ subscription, PS1, PS2, Mini's and PSN titles keep me suitably entertained without having to pay £60 for the latest and greatest releases.

While I don't discount the possibility of them locking out re-sale of games, this particular rumour was started when the PS3 was announced as well. So I would take it with a pinch of salt at the moment. Bad publicity move if they do though.

Anonymous Coward

It's not just a rumour, it's something Sony are actively pursuing- using embedded RFID in the disks. See recent patents for details. Whether it actually hits anyone stupid enough to greenlight it for production is another matter.

As to reselling of downloaded software - Germany is leading the charge on this, very kindly:

http://www.zdnet.com/oracle-cannot-block-the-resale-of-its-software-in-europe-7000000189/

Following which, they're currently suing Valve (take on the big boys first!) for not allowing reselling:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/02/02/valve_sued_in_germany_over_used_game_sales

FAIL

"to come next month"

You guys know it's February already right?

It's all good

The PS4 will feature AMD's APU power.

Bronze badge
Meh

Download, upload, sideload...

And who still cares about consoles? The people that like dedicated titles. And who's fault is it that they can't play those on PC? But people just keep supporting this paradigm due to an ever shrinking sense of "ease to play experience".

It isn't my opinion that the game console is dying, it is the opinion of the ones making them. How much do the "Dashboards" of current consoles look like what you ONCE considered a console? How much do they look like CURRENT PC's? Which way is the trend heading?

These console companies should just sell a gaming PC in an mATX for factor. Fully upgradable and all that a PC is. That would bring the inevitable quicker. However, then they might loose the chance to force marketing through their "Dashboards"...which is the trend.

Re: Download, upload, sideload...

The biggest useful thing about consoles is that they're *not* possible to upgrade. This gives the software developers a clear and solid target to aim for, even over a three-year development cycle, so they can squeeze every last drop of performance from it (which is what we're seeing now with the latest Xbox360 and PS3 titles). It also means all users have the same basic kit, removing possibilities of driver issues, out-of-resource issues, and cutting QA down massively. Also enables console-wide services like the Friends system, Xbox Live Chat and so on - although Steam has brought much of that across to the PC too, hurrah!

(On the downside, it also means that otherwise interesting addons (Move, Kinect, erm...) tend to die because without 100% deployment no devs want to really commit to them. Which is why the PSN chat facility is never used - no headset in the box)

Van

Re: Download, upload, sideload...

Before accusing consoles of becoming too much like PCs. AFAIR PCs actually moved towards being like consoles when they were able to slot in a custom graphics and sound cards and have Steering Wheel pedals etc. Custom chips that were being designed for games consoles, Arcade gaming machines and the 'home computers'.

These cards were only affordable in the late 1990s. Even so, it was a long time before PCs were able to do the super slick Arcade beat' em ups, exhilarating Arcades racers and the platformers that the lower powered consoles were doing.

Bronze badge

build you very own for £300, with hybrid sli and 16gb of 1800mhz ram of ebay and put it all in

Antec ISK310-150 Micro-ATX Case

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b6oR0sb2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anonymous Coward

and

in 2 years time have to replace your hdd, cpu, gnu, and ram (plus m/b) to play the latest games. Used to do it years ago, I must have spent an absolute fortune on hardware.

Also as each iteration of WinOS comes out your kit will be left behind driver wise, etc.

Or you could buy one device that is easy to play out of the box?

Bronze badge

Re: and

playstation and xbox have hundreds of versions each to update gfx cards, hdds, etc etc etc, and they still bottleneck on 90% of 1st generation games

put a basic pc in the antec box and plug it in your tv, with the posh little box on your tv stand, and then you can just buy a wireless keyboard, the gt610 plays most pc games on low detail and only cost £30, without a full atx box, you have to get a gt630 with gddr 5 ram on and not all have and most shops lie so you have to check the model numbers on google, or gt640 if the board has pci-3.0

Van

micro case

complete with dated and bulky optical media drive :)

Anonymous Coward

Fallacy.

My PC was bought 3.5 years ago, hardware produced before Win7 released. Upgraded to Win 7, no issues.

I haven't spent a single penny on it since then. Graphics way better than any console and can still play all the latest games.

Not to mention all the benefits of mods, customisation, etc...

You're misinformed and spreading FUD - you need to wise up.

Anonymous Coward

Cost ~£400, so it wasn't some uber-hi-spec jobbie either.

Anonymous Coward

"I haven't spent a single penny on it since then"

Thats because you overpaid at the time for hardware that PC games couldn't utilise.

PCs have always been notorious for it.

Traditionally, upgrading a PC for games meant going up a notch in resolution and perhaps an increase in 20fps. Gamers were enjoying the tech side of things more than the actual gameplay on offer. It was a hobby in its self. Sure, many people will still be enjoying building their first PCs and upgrading in the future. Others however, got fed up, bored, or just don't have the time and money to tinker anymore.

There is still a massive back catalogue of great gameply to be had on all the old platforms, once the tech snobbery gets out of a gamer's system.

Anonymous Coward

Let's take bets on how long it'll be before they remove PS3 backwards compatability!

WTF?

why?

Why am i reading the PS4, from which we know next to nothing and am i not reading about what most likely will be the killer feature on the new Xbox, the illumiroom?

It's one of the most amazing things i've ever seen. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

If this is going to be on the Xbox 720, or whatever they're going to call the thing, i'm going to have to start saving money, as this is the best thing ever.

Mushroom

Sony Specs will it be 2005 all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_f_ahmAESI&feature=player_embedded

will sony do another repeat of this... Seems like more than possible...

Anonymous Coward

honesty

Hope they're honest about their console's performance this time. The PS2 and PS3 were disappointments when compared with what we were told to expect.

Nintendo have been kicked into the gutter over the Wii U's low processing power whilst the hardcore are still expecting 'The' top line CPU and GPU to be fitted to the PS4 and 720.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums