back to article Samsung mocks Apple lawsuit in SuperBowl teaser ad

Samsung has released a star-studded teaser video for its ad that will run during this Sunday's SuperBowl "El Plato Supremé", a clip that mocks patent and copyright litigation – and, by extension, its long-running adversary, Apple. In the video, funnymen Bob Odenkirk, Seth Rogen, and Paul Rudd are seen discussing ad ideas for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. PrivateCitizen
          WTF?

Re: Brand loyalty

Re AC @ 2030

Good for you - not good for Samsung is it?

It depends.

It forces Samsung to keep trying to produce something worth getting, which is certainly good for the customer.

If Samsung drops the ball, the miracle of the market economy will punish it and give another supplier the opportunity.

The annoying thing about Apple is that it tries to avoid this and looks to lock people in. Once you are in the iOS ecosystem, when it comes to time for new hardware, if you dont like the Apple version, you dont have the same choice.

If it wasnt for the likes of Samsung putting pressure on Apple, and HTC etc putting pressure on Samsung, we would all be worse off, so your apparent campaign against Samsung is a bit strange.

1. Mark .

Quite. I'm thoroughly confused how, in a debate about Samsung vs Apple phones, people argue for the latter by saying "But Samsung users have more freedom to move to other makes of phones".

(I've noticed this generally with Apple debates. It doesn't matter what products one personally like, it just seems odd when one group of people aren't even arguing the debate by the same rules - it's like one set of people saying they prefer chocolate ice cream because it tastes better, and another saying they don't like chocolate because it costs less, there are lots of varieties to choose from, you can eat it from any make of bowl, and the chocolate factory doesn't make as much money as apple farms. It's like, yes but how on earth is any of that a relevant argument?)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Quite. I'm thoroughly confused how, in a debate about Samsung vs Apple phones, people argue for the latter by saying "But Samsung users have more freedom to move to other makes of phones".

Part - but not all - is driven by a certain AC who is trying to rubbish samsung and android simultaneously.

Remember the majority of the abuse heaped on Samsung is that android has the most malware and apparently most android users say they will consider any handset when they upgrade.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Brand loyalty: Samsung now #1 in the US!

Fanbois better update their anecdotes about being the most loyal customers. They now need to say 3rd most loyal after Samsung and Amazon.

So it seems that people are a bit shyer about proclaiming their lover for Apple.....

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/05/ouch-samsung-beats-out-apple-in-customer-loyalty-for-the-first-time-and-so-does-amazon/#mQE7zes48vWs4Kc0.99

Who mentioned about Apple having 82% loyalty?? Ancient History !!!

1. PrivateCitizen
      Stop

@Original AC

Well, limited sample size it may be, but 100% of the S3 users I know (13 people at work, 3 in my immediate family) intend to consider Samsung droid devices when their existing contracts run out (in around 16 - 22 months).

I went from an iPhone 4 to an S3 and have been fully satisfied. I know of three other people who have done that and only one person who went from an S2 to an iPhone 5.

Let's assume Motorola make the next best phone - Q: would you buy chips, flash and screens from Samsung (a competitor) or someone else? A: Someone else.

Are you saying apple users stick with apple when the phone is not the best, simply because it is apple?

Surprisingly honest if you are. (And, as I have said elsewhere, I have both sets of devices at home).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Original AC

Apple users stick with Apple because either the phones are the best or close enough - plenty of people still buy the older models so it's not just about having the newest shiny. They also value the service and support - I've owned Samsung and found it almost non-existent. They value the better security and usability of the devices (most do not need to re-ROM) and the fact Apple still support old handsets like the 3GS after getting on for 4 years so the lifetime cost is probably lower.

Contrary to the belief that all Apple users are frenzied upgraders I know plenty of people still using a 3GS day-in-day-out and apart from a few features it doesn't support and a few scratches it's still a perfectly good phone. I've seen Android handsets unsupported within a year of purchase and having to get into arguments with carriers about who is responsible etc. Joke.

So - yes - I can perfectly see why 80% of people would almost certainly buy another iPhone.

1. PrivateCitizen

Dear multiposting AC @ 2013 (1 Feb)

Contrary to the belief that all Apple users are frenzied upgraders I know plenty of people still using a 3GS day-in-day-out

Kind of implies that

So - yes - I can perfectly see why 80% of people would almost certainly buy another iPhone.

Means they will buy a new iPhone but not for decades.

Not really the point you wanted to make, was it? Its a shame you are so busy trying to say different arguments, in a dozen different posts, that you are starting to argue with yourself....

Samsung can be successful without Apple being rubbish, people can like Android or Samsung without it making your love affair with iOS "wrong" and vice versa. Get over yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Samsung can be successful without Apple being rubbish, people can like Android or Samsung without it making your love affair with iOS "wrong" and vice versa"

Thumbs up for that!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's exactly the point - their phones last a long time, they are happy to buy a new one so the phones being sold today are to lots of NEW customers not just the frenzied upgraders many people try to claim of Apple users.

I know plenty of people with iPhone 3GS and original iPads, plenty with 4's and iPad 2's - even though they could upgrade some have but many just carry on using the phone.

Apple are building a huge and loyal user base and getting loads of new people - not selling as many raw handsets as Android but I'd imagine the vast majority of 3GS handsets are still in use - either by their original owner or been resold / passed on to a family member.

1. PrivateCitizen
              Stop

@ AC 1430

I know plenty of people with iPhone 3GS and original iPads,

Doesnt bode well for Apple's sales does it? There is a finite market of newcomers which was the thrust of the big rant about Android users supposedly not sticking with Samsung.

Not buying a new release is the same as not sticking with the brand.

I have an iPad and went to an iPad 2 - that was (for me) the end of the line there as nothing else was an improvement, so when new models came out, I migrated to Android.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If Apple wanted to sell more handsets they could stop supporting their handsets for as long - oh no that's Samsungs trick ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah that's representative - a survey done by a single person who has a S3 themselves of 16 people all composed of people at the same company (Samsung PR perhaps) or in the same family.

Confirmation bias?

1. PrivateCitizen

Yeah that's representative - a survey done by a single person who has a S3 themselves of 16 people all composed of people at the same company (Samsung PR perhaps) or in the same family.

That was my point and clearly stated at the time.

The fact you missed the underling point is probably due to the frothing rage you have against Samsung and Android. Its a shame you need to validate your like of Apple products by attacking everything else.

And no, no one I know works at, or for, Samsung. Most dont work in IT related spheres but about half the S3 users I know do. In my IT-related office, there are more android users than iOS users by about 3:1.

Three years ago this was obviously not the case and it was almost entirely iOS with a smattering of Nokia and Blackberry devices.

However, corporate issued devices are still predominately iOS / Blackberry - it is only people who have to pay out of their own pockets that have gone for Androids.

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

This repeated drivel with unsourced assessments about how many Samsung phone owner would or would not buy another phone is:

a) drivel, and unsupportable by actual facts

b) obscures (deliberately) the real question, which is "would you buy another Android phone" (to which the answer is obviously usually "yup") AND "would you buy a Samsung phone _if it turned out that it suited your needs at the time your bought the new phone_", to which, again, the answer is yes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The facts are in the links. Not arguing iOS vs Android - arguing Samsung vs Apple.

Samsung's position is precarious as someone buying next time has to choose Android first then Samsung - so if that Guardian article is correct and 60% would consider Android and even if half went on to buy Samsung it's only retaining 30% whereas Apple retain over 80%.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

Re: Forced to Innovate? Good!

> "Samsung's position is precarious as someone buying next time has to choose Android first then Samsung."

Good! Make Samsung innovate to keep customers! No wonder Apple is so far behind with their mobile tech. By the way - did your phone get an SD card slot yet? You know - for upgrading the storage without having to buy a whole new phone and get on a whole new 2-year contract?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wow yes that really makes all the difference a SD card slot. I've had plenty of phones that had one and never got used. I tend to put on the stuff I want - 16-64Gb is not even my whole music library let alone anything else but it's all streamable via iTunes Match. Instead I just sync over what I actually listen to (incase I have no net connection) and certainly do not consider carrying a phone and a load of SD cards as a solution.

My media library is over 3Tb - how many Sd cards is that and how do you organise it / keep it up to date.

Apple do actually do the camera connection kit BTW - it's not internal but you can copy files onto the device.

1. PrivateCitizen

AC @ 0632

Wow yes that really makes all the difference a SD card slot.

Yes it does, for lots of people - it is not just about being able to just download your MP3 collection (but that is a significant factor for some people and its cheaper to buy a 64gb card than go for that option of phone) - its about being able to share file and access resources in more ways.

My media library is over 3Tb - how many Sd cards is that and how do you organise it / keep it up to date.

How long would it take to stream over your data tariff? (assuming it is a totally unmetered one)

Apple do actually do the camera connection kit BTW - it's not internal but you can copy files onto the device.

So, what you mean is, the iPhone is so good that people should pay extra to allow it to do something most Samsungs do out of the box?

Yeah, that makes sense for me - its always good to pay more for things.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Yes SD slot is SO important many non-Apple tablets don't have them either - Nexus 7 perhaps?

The reality is most peoples media libraries are far larger than their phone / tablet memory and even carrying an extra SD card is not going to change that. I have a pretty large library - what I should carry perhaps 20 SD cards - impractical.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. heyrick Silver badge

"The reality is most peoples media libraries are far larger than their phone / tablet memory and even carrying an extra SD card is not going to change that. I have a pretty large library - what I should carry perhaps 20 SD cards - impractical."

No - you should realise the impracticalities of trying to put everything you possibly can on your phone. My media library, as for many people, spans entire harddiscs. How do I cope? It is simple - my favourite songs go on the phone, plus the new stuff I'm getting into. As for video, is it really practical to believe you might want to watch the extended revised director's cut of Blade Runner on a phone? Or how about the four hour miniseries Bag of Bones that was on C5 recently? Far better to use a phone for transient things that don't require a lot of concentration and can be stopped/resumed at will without destroying the following of the story.

At any rate, there is a core selection that will go on the phone, and the rest does not. Of course, if you have access (SFTP etc) to an on-line server with your content on it, you can always hunt around for <obscure song> if you really really want it, however please consider the amount of fail it would be to use swipey-scrolly to pick one song out of thousands. The API itself isn't designed for entire media libraries.

Learn restraint! You do not need everything you have with you at any given time!

3. PrivateCitizen
                  Stop

Dear AC @ 1549

Are you deliberately missing the point?

Yes SD slot is SO important many non-Apple tablets don't have them either - Nexus 7 perhaps?

The SD card slot is indeed important for many other people who buy tablets that have them, or end up spending extra on ways to get round the missing bit.

My Asus eeepad is still going strong even though it is years old because it has the ability to do the things I need to do.

There is nothing worse than facing a client and realising you cant get files off him or her, or that you cant show your presentation on their screen cos your device doesnt have a suitable monitor output.

The whole point of having different types of devices is that people have different needs. For me a lack of a USB port and SD card renders a portable device useless for anything other than home browsing. Obviously you think differently and thankfully there is a big enough market for manufactures of devices to cater for both our needs. Its a shame you think this is a bad thing.

The reality is most peoples media libraries are far larger than their phone / tablet memory and even carrying an extra SD card is not going to change that. I have a pretty large library - what I should carry perhaps 20 SD cards - impractical.

This is still completely missing the point.

When I buy device X, I might think that 16GB is great and more than I will ever need. However, a while later, I realise I need to load 18GB worth of "sfuff" (apps, maps, documents, photos, music, videos etc) onto it.

With a device that has an SD card slot, I spend a fiver and get a 32gb card to expand it.

With a device that doesnt have a card slot, I spend £400 to replace it.

Yeah, sure you can upload it all to the cloud and access it that way but mobile bandwidth is nowhere near fast enough to compete with the speed of an SD card and if you travel, roaming fees make this impossible.

You may be pleased that you are locked into one set way of using your device, but not everone else is.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

When I go to clients I would take my 15" Macbook Retina - it has Thunderbolt / Displayport out which can pretty much go to anything and HDMI. I can also take an Apple TV and setup wirelessly with little fuss if I needed to.

Oh and of course it has USB and SD slots - my iPad still has decent output options but I would typically use it for different things. Don't think anyone is suggesting an iPad (or Android Pad) could do everything for everyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Oh and the Macbook runs OSX but can also run Windows via bootcamp or as a VM - so I have lots of options. Apart from which I wanted a retina screen and frankly there are were no other alternatives from other makers at the time.

It's not cheap but I use it day in day out and expect to have it for about 3+ years - the last one was in good condition and I got not far off half what I paid for it so I'm happy with that - you may not be - that's why we have choice. Unfortunately many of the commentators on here would refuse to consider an Apple product even if it were better for them... but that's their choice as well.

2. PrivateCitizen
                      Stop

When I go to clients I would take my 15" Macbook Retina - it has Thunderbolt / Displayport out which can pretty much go to anything and HDMI. I can also take an Apple TV and setup wirelessly with little fuss if I needed to.

Good for you. I am sure you dont mind spending that additional outlay and having multiple devices in your car and your bag.

On the other hand, I am looking for a single device that allows me to do all the things I need there and then and ideally remains cost effective.

Spending £500 for something which does the job makes (to me) an awful lot more sense than spending £2000 for three things which, together, deliver the goods.

YMMV.

Don't think anyone is suggesting an iPad (or Android Pad) could do everything for everyone?

Which is the point - and the reason why knee jerk criticism of Android / Samsung / Whoever is pretty pointless.

2. imaginarynumber

"Apple do actually do the camera connection kit BTW - it's not internal but you can copy files onto the device."

Yeah, iWhatevers are so perfect that you HAVE to use the kit. I had the misfortune of trying to get 3 gigs onto an ipad using iTunes. After 6 hours I had managed to transfer two thirds of the images.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

" I had the misfortune of trying to get 3 gigs onto an ipad using iTunes. After 6 hours I had managed to transfer two thirds of the images."

Well family member got a new 64gb iPad (nearly full) - the old one was backed up - restored the new one - took less than an hour to restore the lot. I routinely copy large photo directories and videos to my iPad and certainly takes no-where near that time - transfer rates seem perfectly normal.

1. PrivateCitizen

Well family member got a new 64gb iPad (nearly full) - the old one was backed up - restored the new one - took less than an hour to restore the lot.

Over what type of connection?

64 gigabytes in under 60 minutes means weren't far off Gigabit Ethernet speeds. Normally you would expect 802.11n to take about 6.5 hours to do this without any other issues on the network and by being able to treat it all as a single chunk.

Did you get this over 3g or Wifi? What time of day did you do this?

Was it really under an hour? Unless I have borked the maths (which is always possible) it seems to me that 64gigabytes in an hour is over the maximum theoretical transfer rates for anything other than wired connections and I didnt realise the iPad had an RJ45 port.

Or did you mean over USB?

2. P. Lee

> Samsung's position is precarious as someone buying next time has to choose Android first then Samsung

I doubt that. Samsung got where they are by making decent android phones and there is no particular reason why that shouldn't continue. If "non-precarious" means being able to make vast profits out of rubbish phones, then I'm all for precarious. I was rather struck by the fact that the iphone 5 ads didn't appear to have anything to say.

Sorry, I'm still angry at apple for removing working software from their app store so that my ipod touch can no longer obtain software it used to run on it just fine. I didn't upgrade, so features have been removed.

So while I might get a Nexus over an S3 or an iphone next time, its because I want the best deal. These corporates do not have a relationship with me, I see no reason to pretend I have obligations or loyalty to them. "Fanboi" is a derogatory term for a good reason. Build the best phone (for me definition of "best") and I'll buy it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Wier

Why do you think that people buy (a) an iPhone or (b) an Android phone??? One is the trade name of a device, the other is an operating system. It is a logically ridiculous way of looking at it.

Would you buy an iOS phone or a Samsung next time, sir? An equally bizarre question.

PersonallyI think the Samsung kit is fine, so is the Apple kit. I don't think the OS has too much influence amongst the non-nerd, non-geek fraternity (read: 99% of the customers), this idea is just a method of creating endless crap copy for second rate journalists and analysts.

3. YorksinOaks
      Black Helicopters

</Unoriginal>

I think that the first person to post this should sue you for $1.05 B , unless you're actually the same sad guy trolling this around every forum on the Register.

The fact that Samsung is in global top 3 in Semiconductor, screens, memory, printers, smartphones, tablets, TVs, Blu-Ray players, ships, buildings (Burj Dubai / Khalifa AKA World's tallest building in case you did not know) might tell you that they're no-one's 'kin pawn.

Can you list the original improvements made in 2 years from iP4 through iP4S to iP5? Same look (well, moved to Android Form-Factor) Same connector######### (oops, my bad) Own Maps (Oh, I did say improvement, didn't I) and Siri (is that still in Beta and therefore technically not a feature?).

Other than that, it's all kind of incremental, and a galaxy away from innovation. That's why companies resort to the courts, and since the Judge basically said that in the light of all the prior art, she cannot agree with the juries argument that there was wilful copying. The whole thing will get tossed at appeal, if the USPTO does not review and reject all the patents first (2 down, 4 to go).

Let's see if iP6 has some clever multipic camera application or 360 panorama, or phones the contact on screen when you lift the handset to your ear, a screen as long as your thumb-reach, multiple user profiles, expandable memory and USB OTG or some other innovation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: </Unoriginal>

This incremental evolution is the same with any phone. Samsung play around with different screen sizes and stick a style on (how retro). I ask - what do people expect? The iPhone has a 20% bigger screen while being 20% thinner, it's got a 'retina' screen so is there really that much point having even more pixels - guess it's like making speakers able to reproduce sounds so high frequency no human can actually hear them.

It's got the fast 3.75G or whatever and LTE - it's got one of the best cameras on a smartphone, it's fast / responsive, you get good support from Apple and the handsets seem to last at least 4 years (3GS still going strong with updates thank you very much). Add in iTunes Match, streaming TV and films you buy from them to your device, great selection of apps, nice add-ons (like Apple TV) - just 'works' very well.

You see you may really want a stylus - some people might like it but for my use a finger does just fine and doesn't get lost.

4. heyrick Silver badge

"<i>Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time</i>"

I'd like to try a Samsung, but out of my price range. I looked for the cheapest Android phone that could handle 720p video. I found on. A Sony Xperia U. I didn't want to buy another Sony as I was not thrilled at how in-your-face Facebook was on the Xperia Mini Pro, plus I didn't like some of the firmware stupidity (alarm won't ring if sound disabled) and that "you consent to blah blah" message every time you turn on GPS, not to mention an email client that was easy to confuse (would flag all messages as unread) and didn't have a select-all to make tidying the trash mailbox a flippin' nightmare.

Well... Lovely display, does HD, boots dead quick. Still on Android 2.3.something but is this the fault of Sony or Orange? It's an all-round nice phone. There is still Facebook integration but it doesn't go out of its way to get in the way. Stupid GPS message still there (maybe this is Android?) but the alarm now sounds iwhen the sound is disabled. Nicely too, soft and relaxing to help you wake. Email seems better, and you can select all now. The camera isn't bad given it's an imager stuck in a phone. It is surprisingly good at low-light/night photos where it will give a bright (but noisy) image. Which is better than the two other phones which will barely give any image at all. Minus points for the damn weird shutter button that almost enforces phone shake. The only downside is the hardwired 4Gb memory which seems a little cheap when I can get a 16Gb SD card for €12. But never mind, that and the strange glowing bar aside, I am quite impressed by this phone given the price of it. Especially the really nice display - did I mention that yet? ;-) It's a pleasure to lie in bed watching animé on those nights when I can't seem to get to sleep...

In case you hadn't guessed, I don't really have a brand loyalty so much as a platform loyalty. My next phone (in two years) may or may not be a Sony. It depends on what is available. It will be Android. I have a set of core apps, including the important apks on my computer so I can transfer them over and install them right away. Plus there is the familiarity aspect - I know Android.

So your headline might be better if it read "Ask Android owners if they would definitely buy an Android device next time".

Yes - I would.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "<i>Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time</i>"

But you and most people on here are the exception - proven by "I know Android". Most people don't know / care if it's Android - it's just a full screen phone to them.

1. PrivateCitizen
          Stop

Re: "<i>Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time</i>"

RE AC @ 2231

But you and most people on here are the exception - proven by "I know Android". Most people don't know / care if it's Android - it's just a full screen phone to them.

I disagree.

All the android device owners I know, know it is android. They know they have a google account and they know that they can use it on any other android device (some even know they can use it on Chromebooks as well).

5. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Ask Galaxy owners...

Except that Samsung is a major global component supplier. The LGs, the Asuses, the ZTEs, the Oppos, the HTCs, use Samsung's components. Losing Apple as a component customer is not that big a deal. Apple will just go to another component supplier and that supplier is probably using Samsung's components.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

better comparison, ask an Android owner if they would buy Android again...

Unlike Apple, Android is not a locked down ecosystem, I can choose from many phones for my next phone and not worry about loosing apps Ive purchased etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ask an android user if they would buy android again - the answer from the survey was about 60% would (or 40% would not). Now of those that would they then have to make the second decision of will it be a Samsung - would anyone really say today their next phone will definitely be a Samsung when who knows what Sony, Motorola, some as of now unknown to us Chinese company comes up with??

1. PrivateCitizen
          FAIL

Old news

Ask an android user if they would buy android again - the answer from the survey was about 60% would (or 40% would not).

You keep trotting this out, even though it is older than most Android models.

Now of those that would they then have to make the second decision of will it be a Samsung - would anyone really say today their next phone will definitely be a Samsung when who knows what Sony, Motorola, some as of now unknown to us Chinese company comes up with??

Which is still a good thing as it will keep companies pushing hard to produce good stuff.

Are you actually saying that Apple can bring out a shite phone, worse than any other manufacturer, and you would still buy it?

If you think that can never happen, then it is just as reasonable to assume Samsung wont do it.

1. albaleo

disappointing

The sounds like the voice of an ad agency. Clever, funny, cool, and so on. But I don't get the feeling this is a message from Samsung. It's disappointing. Say what you like about Apple, they're not slow to give an opinion or take action to support their 'beliefs'. (sorry, can't think of a better word right now) Apple says it's right to protect their designs and other IP. They persuade media companies to drop the drm on their products that are sold through the iTunes store because they say it helps everybody. Apple has an opinion. I haven't a clue about Samsung.

Some guys from Samsung in Korea saying what they think of Apple would have been much more powerful.

Yeah, I know. It's TV. It's the USA. But still...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: disappointing

Samsung's opinion seems to be whatever Apple are doing. Their hardware is ok but nothing others could not do better - they have no USP and are effectively just passing customers to Google. They make no ongoing revenue and their position could change rapidly. Apple are building the whole lot - they sell you the hardware, the OS and the media and add-ons like Apple TV etc. I'd say Apple's position is a bit more secure than Samsungs?

1. PrivateCitizen
        Stop

RE AC @ 1940

Samsung's opinion seems to be whatever Apple are doing. Their hardware is ok but nothing others could not do better

Nothing about the iPhone 5 is something others couldnt do better, but Apple fans will claim others havent and the same can be said about the S3. Other can produce better, but they havent.

Most other manufacturers would end up using Samsung components when they tried to do better anyway...

I can win the lottery, but I havent.

they have no USP and are effectively just passing customers to Google.

Possibly, but I doubt this is entirely for free and even if it is, it is a risk for the company not the customer.

For customers it is actually a bonus cos if a miracle happens and Samsung goes titsup, all the user has to do is move to HTC (or whoever).

If a miracle happens and Apple goes titsup, iPhone users are stranded.

They make no ongoing revenue and their position could change rapidly. Apple are building the whole lot - they sell you the hardware, the OS and the media and add-ons like Apple TV etc. I'd say Apple's position is a bit more secure than Samsungs?

Only because they trap people into an ecosystem. Its like saying AOL's position is a bit more secure than the Internets.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Except Apple are the ones that moved to remove DRM on music, they let you 'Match' your music in the cloud (whereever you got it from!!) - Kindles are far more locked in than Apple. I can import my own media into iTunes and it's on my iPad.

If being locked in is having access to the largest and safer app store - maybe it's not iUsers being locked in but everyone else being kept out <LOL>.

1. PrivateCitizen
            Stop

Dear AC @ 1553

Except Apple are the ones that moved to remove DRM on music,

After being the ones to use it in the most oppressive manner imaginable first. If it wasnt for the early incarnation of iTunes forcing a DRM'd format on everything I got, I would have had much more access to my OWN music six years ago.

they let you 'Match' your music in the cloud (whereever you got it from!!)

Great if you dont have much music or a magically faster internet connection than most people on the planet. I store all my MP3s on my NAS which streams to any device in the house and allows me to tunnel in when I am on the move.

Much easier than using an iCloud.

Kindles are far more locked in than Apple

I dont get the point here.

If being locked in is having access to the largest and safer app store

It isnt.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"

If being locked in is having access to the largest and safer app store

It isnt.

"

You need to open your eyes to some facts:

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-malware-to-reach-1-million-cases-in-2013

Can you genuinely and accurately claim Android is safer than iOS? Nope.

1. PrivateCitizen
                Stop

Can you genuinely and accurately claim Android is safer than iOS? Nope.

Nope. Where did I claim that?

I said being locked in wasnt the same as having access to the largest and safer app store.

Being locked in is being tied to an ecosystem which means should you become dissatisfied with either the direction the OS is going in, or the quality of the devices manufactured, you find it very hard to migrate to another platform. Pretty much every app you have purchased is lost and depending on how you have stored your data it becomes a pain in the arse to move it over to your new ecosystem.

So, given this, it is understandable that for people looking to take their first footsteps in the new world order, that the open environment of Android is more appealing.

Yes, there is more malware hiding in the android space, but the number of compromises of android devices is not scaling up in line with the doom and gloom predictions.

Maybe it is because 99% of apps in either iOS or Android repositories wont see the light of day so it doesnt matter if they have malware on them or not.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Well, limited sample size it may be, but 100% of the S3 users I know (13 people at work, 3 in my immediate family) intend to consider Samsung droid devices when their existing contracts run out (in around 16 - 22 months)."

Exactly - INTEND TO CONSIDER means squat. 60% would select Android and of those some would buy Samsung but why not Sony but why not HTC but why not Motorola but why not [insert almost anyone].

Android is a race to the bottom for profits as more and more manufacturers enter the already crowded market - it's all good for Google but for the manufacturers??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As more and more Android handset makers are out there the market will get even more fragmented and force prices and margins down and down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Still desperately flogging you long dead and never coherent "fragmentation" hobby-horse, eh RICHTO? This "fragmentation" of which you speak with such foreboding is a wonderful thing. It's choice! Freedom! Competition!... all good and healthy stuff for the consumer. I'm personally enjoying it immensely. I can see why it'd be a bit of a bummer for Microsoft PR you though. Must feel like you're the kiddyfiddler in the prison shower, being told to crush the soap with your bare hands!.. oops! It's slipped out between your fingers... again!... gonna have to pick it up... again!

2. PrivateCitizen
      WTF?

Woosh

RE AC @ 2024

Exactly - INTEND TO CONSIDER means squat. 60% would select Android and of those some would buy Samsung but why not Sony but why not HTC but why not Motorola but why not [insert almost anyone].

You are missing the point in your crusade to use numbers here.

If Samsung drop the ball and produce a bag of shite handset, then no one will buy it. They are not zombies obsessed with making sure the things they buy all are from the same brand, they are people who want the best device that fits their needs.

This means they will look at the latest Samsung device first. If it sucks, they will go elsewhere. It is the miracle of choice and it is what creates the market forces that drive development.

If people would just buy the next Samsung handset, whatever it was, then the devices would end up being total shite. (Hi Nokia....)

Android isnt a race to the bottom - devices are not getting worse, or less featured - it does, however, keep pressure on the costs which is one of the reasons why Android devices tend to be significantly cheaper than iOS ones (one, not the only).

If you like Apple and think iOS devices are the greatest thing ever, then good for you - there are lots like you - but why do you need to bolster your use of iOS by denigrating Samsung / Android? Are you that insecure about your brand choice?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like