back to article 'UK DNA database by stealth' proposed in £100m NHS project

Prime Minister David Cameron is to announce plans for the NHS to create a massive database of patients' DNA, which experts have advised could lead to massive health benefits and advances in medical technology. However the creation of such a database has obvious and far reaching privacy implications. In an attempt to address …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MondoMan
        Unhappy

Re: Is it just a Monday thing...

Grikath, your confidence in there being only a small number of "causative" genetic defects would be more convincing if you provided some actual evidence in support. The course of the 40-year-plus "war on cancer" would suggest otherwise.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      WTF?

Re: Is it just a Monday thing...

"You have to trust someone, sometime."

I trust at least 2 people.

1 is me.

The other is not you.

As for this bunch....

Are you f***ing kidding me?

1. frank ly

Nice little earner, for some.

"...the market is ripe to be exploited by private companies hoping to cash in by using these rich datasets .."

Datasets provided by me, and other NHS patients , via an organisation funded by me and most other adult citizens of the UK. That's my data. You want to make money from it - you pay me an agreed percentage.

However, I suspect that senior figures in the medical establishment, the Civil service and politicians have already got themselves lined up for 'advisory' positions on several boards, so it'll all go through without objection.

2. The Alpha Klutz

if you wanna see what hardcore censorship looks like, check out this shocking example:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/12/07/tvshack_fine/

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: if you wanna see what hardcore censorship looks like, check out this shocking example:

Wow, I saw that comments section before it was annexed - I don't recall there being too much worth deleting (the odd - 'he's guilty of a crime therefore should so the time wank') but nothing particularly libelous - just opinions.

3. Stephen Channell
    Thumb Up

Better than the current process

Currently the bulk of medical research goes into the “treating” (as in not “curing”) ailments suffered by Rich Americans & insurance companies already profile you by where you live, gender, claim history together with fuzzy info from marketing sources.

As more and more information is digitised and more and more of us give away data to social media sites, the profiles will get more precise, and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

The biggest threat from a DNA database is that the government will underestimate the value and flog access cheaply. Mapping DNA sequence to medical conditions through large-scale data analysis is much much much more valuable than the few quid you’d get from Insurance companies.

Whilst the police would love to trawl a DNA database for criminals, the huge value of the database should ensure that it cant be used in that way

4. rurwin
    Black Helicopters

It's a trifle expensive

At current prices it would cost 60 trillion pounds to put the whole population on the database, and about a trillion pounds every year to keep it up-to-date. I imagine even Cameron has better things to do with our money.

Of course ten years ago it cost 500,000 times as much, so in 2022 it should cost less than a penny to get your DNA sequenced. That's when we need to worry... and the database will be in place and waiting, and the activists will have forgotten about it. The government will be able to privatise it and/or widen its scope without any uproar.

1. R 11

Re: It's a trifle expensive

I don't think 60 million X 1,000 is 60 trillion.

I'd expect there would also be truly massive economies of scale to be achieved if you were sequencing millions of patients.

1. rurwin
        Facepalm

Re: It's a trifle expensive

I'll just go and bang my head on a wall. Anyone want to sequence my DNA, it says "bonehead" all the way through.

;-)

5. R 11

Counselling?

I wonder if they're really prepared for all the consequences of this.

If a patient's individual DNA is available during personalized treatment, how do they deal with things when they're treating some physical congenital problem, check the DNA report and see that the person is carrying a BRCA gene and is at a higher disposition for breast cancer?

Of course some people can deal with this easily. But others will not. The psychological impact of telling a new mother that not only is there a significant risk of her developing cancer, but that she might also have passed the gene on to her baby could be severe.

Do you tell the patient without allowing them to decide if they want to know? How do you tell a patient they might want to think about being tested without it being obvious that you already know? How do you ethically withhold the information once you know?

What about when we discover a new gene linked to another cancer? Is there an obligation to tell every carrier of that gene? How do you prepare people for that? Is the NHS equipped to deal with 30,000 requests for a hysterectomy in the space of a couple of weeks? Can you ethically leave these people to develop cancer, knowing they're at a significantly heightened risk? Will folk sue because the information was withheld?

1. OrsonX

Re: Counselling?

+1

My optician has a test that tells me if I have disease X by looking at my eye. I asked him "is there a cure for disease X?"

Answer: no

Then I don't want to know!

Ignorance is bliss. Knowing I am pre-diposed to Parkinson's, etc. would drive me insane with worry.

6. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Yes, but...

"apart from when it is used for an individuals own care" means it won't be anonymised at all.

And will this massive database fit on a flash memory thingy to be lost somewhere on the tube?

7. Martin 47

Of course the data wont be available to just anyone, it will be stored securely in the cloud and managed by a subsidiary of an American company no doubt, so no worries there then.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2+2=29472958385

I'm worried Tesco is going to run out of tinfoil.

Firstly let me say that this is a topic close to my professional occupation, so I have a fair idea what would be involved.

This announcement relates to the use of whole-genome sequence data (as opposed to single gene data, already in widespread use) in supporting clinical decisions about which treatment a patient should receive. This pretty much eliminates any insurance concerns, since we are talking about patients who have already been diagnosed with a disease having a genetic component - like cancer. Even if it weren't, there is a moratorium on the use of genetic information in insurance, in place since 2001 and continually renewed - currently lasting upto 2017.

The current methods of determining treatment are in many ways archaic, and this is simply the next and frankly necessary step in improving patient care. It is true that a person's genome is very sensitive data, but we already have these issues relating to research subject data, for which there is an existing and well thought out data storage strategy (I won't go into details). Applying the technology to clinical care in the NHS is effectively a scale-up problem (from the data side of things at least - there are actually huge clinical challenges still).

I think it's fairly safe to assume that there is unlikely to be "a database" - that's why "data infrastructure" is used. The raw data for a complete human genome is reasonably large (~200GB), with much additional data required. It is not necessary to keep all this in order to be useful clinically; rather, a derived summary of the differences between your genome and a reference genome is more likely to be the source material for a clinical decision. But to get there, you need an infrastructure - where is the sequencing performed - at a private facility? What about the analysis, in a regional or national centre? And the clinical decision - back in the hospital? It is even by no means a given that the data will even be kept at all for any length of time. It could be destroyed after a course of treatment, for example.

Put simply, a secure infrastructure for storing and analysing the data still needs to be built, this would be a closed system and is a far cry from your doctor having your genome on a USB stick. There is simply no need for the data to ever leave the walled garden, and no real need in particular for it to be "a database" in the sense of it all being in the same place.

1. DragonLord

Re: 2+2=29472958385

When I was a Uni a database was considered any easily searchable, structured store of data, hence in my comment above I mentioned tongue in cheek that patient data could be kept on card files.

As such I suspect that you can only reasonably say is it probably won't be running on oracle, sybase, sql server or similar.

I also suspect that they will want to keep the data well after the patient no longer needs the treatment as the only way to find long term patterns is to build up a history of data as well as having lots of current sources.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, I mean database in the sense that it's all in the same place, can be searched etc. i.e. your definition. It does not need to be a database, hence why it has not been called a database in the announcement.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

urrently lasting upto 2017.

As someone already suffering institutional discrimination at the hands of the cowards in the insurance industry, let me just say that they will never get my DNA. Not after 2017, nor in the coldest depths of frozen hell. never.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Thumb Down

"Firstly let me say that this is a topic close to my professional occupation, so I have a fair idea what would be involved."

"Trust me, I'm a professional."

"It could be destroyed after a course of treatment, for example."

Trouble is the UK govt has a history of not destroying data when it's no longer relevant.

Like when it's the DNA of suspects who were never charged with a crime.

"There is simply no need for the data to ever leave the walled garden, "

Need, no. Sell onward certainly possible.

"and no real need in particular for it to be "a database" in the sense of it all being in the same place."

As indeed is the infrastructure for the other Governemt "flagship" programme "Communications Data Bill"

4. MondoMan
      Unhappy

Perhaps there's no *need* for genome sequence to be in one place, or to be kept indefinitely, but certainly the tradition and expectation in the medical community is that everything be included as part of an individual's medical records. Genome sequence would surely become a part of that.

5. Bilious

And where is the guarantee that the dataset is correct? A full-genome sequence isn't 100 percent correct; besides it isn't complete: it's still a selection. So it is more suitable for research than for individualised treatment.

Individualised at what level? Drugs designed for that specific genotype, different from all the 280 other relevant genotypes - or just simple pre-emptive surgical removal of breasts and ovaries based on a family history and a few specific genetic tests?

How about spending a few hundred million on an effective campaign against tuberculosis - with real and effective treatment available today. Or a political decision to curb the wildest marketing of unhealthy foods.

Ah no - there's no Big Money to be made from such efforts. On the contrary.

6. Vic

> It is even by no means a given that the data will even be kept at all for any length of time

Yeah, it is. Look at who's proposing it...

Vic.

9. Red Bren
    Big Brother

2 tinfoil hats required today.

Step 1) The government builds a big database of everyone's DNA to cure CANCER!!! You do want us to cure CANCER, don't you?

Step 2) The government builds a big database of everyone's internet use to catch TERROR-PAEDOS!!! You do want us to catch TERROR-PAEDOS, don't you?

Step 3) The government cross references the two databases to find the gene for TERROR-PAEDOISM!!!

It's for the good of the children. Won't someone think of the children? STOP THINKING ABOUT THE CHILDREN YOU TERROR-PAEDOS!!!

10. Christoph

How do I change it?

If someone gets my password I can change it.

Will the government make it easy for me to change my DNA every time the database is penetrated or is handed over to the security services?

Surely they wouldn't put me in a position where once my extremely private data is compromised I can never ever repair the damage?

1. MondoMan
      Devil

Re: How do I change it?

It's very very easy to change your DNA sequence -- just stand in front of a nice high-intensity penetrating ionizing radiation source. Best of all, different cells will have different parts of their DNA sequence changed -- talk about obfuscation!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opt out?

Where is the opt out???? Or the only way to opt out is not to use NHS anymore?

Never trust anybody, especially the government with your personal data (and what's more personal than a DNA?)

How can you anonimise DNA data??? Replace it by random gene???

1. bogwoppit

Re: Opt out?

1. Opt out is easy, because it is opt-in only. It says this in the statement.

2. Anonymous in the sense that it is not attached to your name or other details when it is passed through the analysis ecosystem. So some software somewhere knows that there is a person associated with a huge pile of data, but not who they are. Just like I know that there is a person who just arranged all those characters in your comment, but I don't know who they are so it's not very useful.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Opt out?

1, it's opt-out for now. Just like computerised medical records, it's opt-out if you write to 6 different depts demanding that your records not be included.

2. anonymous in the sense that it only records your postcode, the procedure you went in for and the prescription details of any drugs you needed. The prescriptions are filled in at your local chemist with your name address, and clubcard number. Or at least that's what happened with a had-to-be-abandoned breast cancer trial here.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its already here...

A DNA sample is already taken from newborns [with parental consent] to test for some very rare genetic disorders. You will note there is no mention of destruction of the sample or deletion of the record on the following page...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/818.aspx

AC obviously

/tinfoil

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tabloids

Well this will make life easier for tabloid newspapers, who'll be able to uncover more "secret love children" of the stars, as and when they bribe their way into the database.

Oh, and due to the high levels of scientific and medical training of yer average tabloid hack, prepare for them to name and shame guilty sex offenders before the police have even have that person in the frame based on their own notion of what constitutes a DNA match.

The police will have access to this database, as will medical staff - both of which are primary sources of information for tabloids.

15. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

Are we really prepared to say

That what a scientist calls "damaged DNA" or "damaging variations" or, fuck it, lets just go out in the open and call them Bad Genes like the old school eugenicists did. Anyway, are we really prepared to believe that what a scientist may look at and call Bad Genes, are not actually the source of the human soul?

1. The Alpha Klutz
      Megaphone

IN 2026 I PREDICT

An army of DNA wardens will go around swabbing people and handing our petty fines for unauthorised variations in DNA. The government will have to make money somehow and nobody will drive in 2026 due to being in a police state at the time.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: IN 2026 I PREDICT

No Apple will have patented all the genes and anybody with rounded corners will be fined.

This will lead to a huge boost in fitness and replace beer guts with 6-pack abs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 6-pack patent

Yeah, but a 6-pack looks like the icon arrangement of an iPhone screen, so that's protected too.

I reckon we'll all end up in MK III travel machines yet...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Red Bren

I'm prepared to say

These "bad genes" are not the source of the human soul! But I am not a geneticist so I'm prepared to be corrected by hard evidence.

I also don't agree with the concept of good and bad genes. The gene that causes sickle cell anaemia also offers protection against malaria, so is it good or bad? http://malaria.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD023878.html

16. lipong
    FAIL

Again as with many articles ripped from the main media...

Again as with many articles ripped from the main media the register should have a their science correspondents investigate a bit further before copy-paste.

I have personally worked with patient data similar to the data what is being proposed to be collected, first this data will not have any personal details they are not relevant for biology, (biology does not care if you are called called Peter or John) biological relevant data such as: height, blood pressure, etc will be collected .

So the genetic data will be accompanied with a series of bio-relevant data , in some cases such as in Biomedical Demographic studies, social data might collected such as the place you live, income, etc.

In any case in the first instance (5-10 years likely) these databases are for R&D purposes and will be completely anonymous and then after many years of research and IF we find some conclusions then the doctor that will treat you will be the only person that has access to both sets of data (personal details+genetic data). There is a whole new field(Medical Informatics) that has been discussing this issues as well as the methods to implement secure and efficient data sanitation.

All this does not prevent insurance companies or any other company from using advances in biological research to screen persons either via genetic tests or any other methods, so its up to the law to protect people much in the same way that for example people from different ethical groups should not (I hope/believe that the law protects against this) be treated differently.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HAVE A GLASS OF WARM MILK AND GO TO SLEEP

Our scientists and technocrats will do the rest.

18. Tim Brown 1
    Pint

It's reading reports like this...

... that makes me quite glad the world ends on 21st December*

*NASA have claimed there's no foundation in the Mayan prediction, but what do they know!

19. AgeingBabyBoomer
    Flame

If big pharma is so keen and confident about developing gene-based

therapies, why aren't they stumping up the £100m to build the database?

After all, they will be the ones cashing up the profits.

20. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

Governement still not getting it. It's not *their* data to sell on

It's the patients data.

It's not your resource

Note that this comes from the Dept of Business not the dept of Health

Concerned.

You'd better be.

21. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

"Cancer." It's like paedos and terrorists for the Data Communcations Bill.

The thin end of a very long wedge.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Godwin

<Insert your own totalitarian reference here>

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cameron's DNA?

100% match with the DNA of a short rectangular piece of wood.

24. All names Taken
    Joke

repeat after me?

We are UK subjects.

We are subject to the whim of our political masters provided UK civil servants let them do so in the way they choose.

icon: joke alert

(oh the irony?)

25. Richard Cranium

Keep me alive as long as possible...

Most deaths are down to heart or cancer. Fix that and we can all look forward to years of undignified and costly dementia and incontinence. Thanks.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hello Mrs AGCATGCTGCAGTCATGCT.....

How is Mr ATGCTAGCATGCTGCAGTCATGCTGCAGTCATGCT... today?

27. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

Network guy?

Sorry but you have managed to COMPLETELY miss the point of this project.

The point is that treatments, particularly those related to cancer have different effects on different individuals and given the way targeted treatments are being developed determining genetic factors will help emormously.

As to Genewatch UK - that are against anything involving genetics.

Sequencinga genome for £1,000 - that is simply the first stage of the process and frankly I found the wole article to be driven by Genewatch's agenda by someone who appears to have no understanding of the medical issues.

28. contraryview
    Thumb Down

Need a matching organ donor

This could make it easy to find an matching organ doner .. or could allow some sick rich individual a quick fix at your expense!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like