back to article Ready for ANOTHER patent war? Apple 'invents' wireless charging

Apple is trying to patent wireless charging, claiming its magnetic resonance tech is new and that it can do it better than anyone else. This would be cool if its assertions were true. Apple's application, numbered 20120303980, makes much of its ability to charge a device over the air at a distance of up to a metre, rather than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. billium
    Coat

May be a way around using Apple's patent would be to throw your phone on an inductive cooker to charge.

Instead of 20 years for a patent, 5 years would be more fair.

2. The FunkeyGibbon
    Trollface

Could I patent 'Patent Trolling'?

Or do the actions of every major tech company in the world mean I can't have that due to prior art?

Troll face for my company logo...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: Could I patent 'Patent Trolling'?

No, you can't have that for this reason.

Unfortunately the professional trolls are much better trolls than you are.

1. Stoneshop
        Coat

Re: Could I patent 'Patent Trolling'?

Well, you could try "Having a Patent Awarded without Filing a Patent". That's certainly non-obvious and innovative; even Apple still files patents to have them awarded.

3. mrfill
    Happy

Next weeks news...

Apple patent the iWheel. Its round, it has a hole in the middle.

1. gkroog
      Trollface

Re: Next weeks news...

A hole in the middle for the iWheel 1, but when the iWheel 2 comes out, THEN they'll offer the option to have one without a hole in the middle, as if that's a new innovation: the iWheel Solid...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like NFC, the fannybois claimed wireless power was a useless fad.

Now behind-the-times Slackle are claiming that they invented it, and are obviously looking to introduce the tech into the next monstrosity that is iPhone.

Behind the times as usual.

5. FlingoBingo
    Thumb Down

My turn

I'm going to apply for a patent for a system to prevent people floating away. It'll be called 'gravity'. While I'm at it I'll register another one for a system to illuminate an open space. That one's called 'light'.

Someone stop the world please so I can get off.

6. waxy41
    Happy

I can imagine an Alliance For Wireless Power meeting in the future:

"Brothers! Brothers! We should be struggling together!"

"We are!"

"We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the common enemy!"

"The Consortium for Wireless Power!?"

"No, no! Apple!"

"Oh, yeah..."

1. Tom 38
      Thumb Up

Re: I can imagine an Alliance For Wireless Power meeting in the future:

Don't mention the Popular Wireless Power Front - fucking splitters.

7. James Coombs

Toothbrush

Does this mean I'm going to have to pay Apple royalties to carry on using my electric toothbrush?

8. Francis Vaughan

Total bollocks from el Reg

Seriously, we get two articles on this patent in one day on el Reg, and it appears that in neither case have the authors actually bothered to read the patent, or if they have, they lack the technical competence to understand it. What we do get is the now very tired Apple bashing fest that is fast making technical commentary from el Reg on anything to do with Apple essentially worthless. This is sad, there was a time where el Reg was actually worth reading for such commentary. It no longer is.

1. The patent does not attempt to patent near field charging. Got that? Really it doesn't. The title alone should be a give away: "Wireless power utilization in a local computing environment" Note the bit about "utilization." It is a patent on how to use wireless power in an innovative manner.

2. The innovative bit about the patent is the re-radiating of power from one device to another, and a protocol for controlling this. Go down to the claims section and have a look. The claims is where the actual meat of what is patented is. The stuff earlier is explanation, it isn't what is claimed for patent cover. Indeed the rules of patents require that you cover any earlier contributing technology. If you see something in a patent that you have heard before, it is there, not because of some nefarious attempt to re-patent existing technology, but due to a requirement to place the new work in the context of what has gone before. Not doing this can cause the patent application to fail. Note that you can't be expected to cite provisional applications from competitors - they are secret until the patent is approved.

Seriously, this article is so bad it should be deleted. It is an embarrassment to both el Reg and the author.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Coat

Re: Total bollocks, all right

"The innovative bit about the patent is the re-radiating of power from one device to another"

Let me get this straight: "re-radiating" is somehow better than just letting the end device pick up the power on its own? Recovery of radiated power by the re-radiator is necessarily inefficient, as is the process of "re-radiation" (whatever that may be). I guess it'll work as long as the battery in the "re-radiator" holds out.

Up to a meter, huh? I'll believe it when I see it work without something melting or the disc on my electric meter spinning faster than light.

//it's the one with "Secrets of Free Power" in the pocket, thanks

1. gkroog
        Go

Re: Total bollocks, all right

' "re-radiating" is somehow better than just letting the end device pick up the power on its own?'

Its better for Apple since it will let them make money off of someone else's patented technology. Someone else did all the hard work of developing it, and Apple just had to figure out a way for them to get in on it and make money off of it.

Other companies may have done the same, but Apple's the one most likely to sue over it.

And I'd like to know if WiPower's original patent includes something like this. As we've learned in a previous story (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/07/apple_loses_patent_case_facetime/), Apple's engineers pay no heed to the IP of other companies when developing products.

2. Steve I
      Coat

Re: Total bollocks from el Reg

Attempting to reason with a group of illogical people is like trying to teach a cat to scuba-dive by providing written instructions.

1. Francis Vaughan

Sadly true. Seven thumbs down and counting. One assumes that the down-voters also lack the technical ability to understand what I wrote. I have come to the conclusion that there is a core group that will down-vote any comment that does not actually slam Apple, and even comments that are neutral to Apple will attract their down-vote. The stream of comments to this article that suggest that many see it as simply a forum for Apple bashing, and nothing more rather reinforces this view. It is becoming no better than YouTube comments.

1. Steve I
          Paris Hilton

There is certainly a hard core of commentators who are genuinely incapable of understandting technical articles, guilty of just scanning headlines for keywords (and as the headline is wrong too, this is not a good strategy) and commenting on what they think it said, or just troll.

I actually hope it's the 3rd option, as surely there aren't enough stupid people around for either of the first 2 to be correct, are there?

2. Jop
          Holmes

Unfortunately the Apple fanboi in you was so bright there was no need to confirm that 90% of your posts in the last 3 months are related to Apple or iProducts. I did it anyway and got a stalker badge to sew on!

Just waiting for Nintendo to come along and claim WiPower is a Trademark infringement...

9. Stretch
    Flame

iFire

Its magically and revolutionary and you can use it for cooking.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Flame

Re: iFire

However you will also have to buy the official approved (and expensive) iLogs in order to light you iFire.

10. Jim Carter
    WTF?

If I remember right...

The CIA had technology that could do this from several miles away. Or so Will Smith said when he was on a press junket for Enemy of the State on the Big Breakfast back in 1998.

1. vis1/0n

Re: If I remember right...

Oh, please.

It was documented back in the 70's in one of the Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys books.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wireless induction goes back to the dawn of time

thought wireless induction went back to the dawn of time - wot with galvani, voltz hertz, maxwell, gauss, marconi, tesla, eddison - to name but a few - might have patents on this or their respective businesses long after their earthly passing.

btw - isn't apple something you eat - not choke on when you see attempts to dazzle patent officials?

still apple has to try something - otherwise likely will run out of dosh in 10-20 years time - after all, what is there that apple could invent that anyone would want, let alone buy?

12. Rolf Howarth

Successive refinement...

As the article points out, someone else already has a patent on the basic idea of wireless charging. In order to be able to do anything in that area without paying exhorbitant licensing fees Apple therefore has to try to refine and improve on what the other patents say and patent that improvement, however minor a detail it might address. They can then use their patent when negotiating cross-licensing deals with the other patent holders. Effectively it just gives them a bargaining chip to sit at the Consortium for Wireless Power table, it doesn't mean they're planning a patent war.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advice for the ignorant (thats me)

So what makes this one different to older 'Wireless Power Utilization In A Local Computing Environment' patent applications from Apple?

eg:

http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2011062827 (and others)

14. Gel

Wireless charging over distance.

I have done charging with solar panels from sun. (still radio waves, albiet higher frequency) (very long range)

I have done charging with crystal sets. (medium range but very low power.)

induction hobs?

microwave cookers?

It is obvious. But it may not be safe at higher charge rates.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP TouchPad Touchstone

Does the HP TouchPad Touchstone count as prior art?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Get ready for another 5 years of patent trolling news stories....

/sigh

17. Number6

Splashpower

Anyone remember Splashpower? They probably did it several years before Apple's patent application, although Amway ended up with their portfolio.

18. Wile E. Veteran
    Devil

Oh, my. What will they think of next?

The illustration from the patent app is a simple parallel resonant circuit. Tunable because of the variable capacitor. Uses an inductor with a core, presumably iron given the frequencies involved. Goes back to Marconi and before.

Magnetic coupling ain't new. That's how a transformer works. "At a distance?" -- depends on the distance. Air-gap transformers are pretty common in a lot of applications, particularly at RF. "Transfer of power?" Any audio or RF device does that. Only the power level varies.

Unless Apple has discovered a new law of physics there is nothing new here. At best it is a development of existing ideas and technology, not a non-obvious invention.

The USPTO is out of control and works only as a shill of the highest-paying entity. Time for major reform.

19. Alistair
    Facepalm

I'll admit that this patent might have a leg to stand on.

Mostly because I'm not that up on the patents that do exist and the finer points of the patent itself.

I just want that the next 26" 16x10 LCD monitor I buy can radiate a recharge to my cordless keyboard and trackball so that I don't get interrupted mid-incident call by having to change the damn batteries. I *like* cordless trackball and mouse that don't clutter desk with cords.

And -- I want the whole damn thing contained in the *batteries* themselves so I don't have to buy a proprietary keyboard and trackball......

On that note, off to the patent filing website.....

(D'oh for the obvious part)

1. david wilson

Re: I'll admit that this patent might have a leg to stand on.

>>"I just want that the next 26" 16x10 LCD monitor I buy can radiate a recharge to my cordless keyboard and trackball so that I don't get interrupted mid-incident call by having to change the damn batteries. I *like* cordless trackball and mouse that don't clutter desk with cords."

Wouldn't a cordless device which gave good early warning of low power (and/or had some motorbike-style 'reserve tank' approach) be a workable solution, at least to having 'surprise' running-out of power?

Surely it can't be hard for the device not simply to flash an LED, but to tell its driver wirelessly that it's getting low on power and only has N hours/days left, triggering some user-configurable warning to pop up on the screen?

If there's not enough demand for devices to do any of those things, one might wonder if there's enough to make wireless charging for other manufacturer's kit a feature monitor makers think worth adding to their monitors.

1. armster
        Alien

Re: I'll admit that this patent might have a leg to stand on.

Try using any actual Apple mouse. They give you a warning message 2 days, 2 hours and 5 minutes before they stop working. I would still prefer a mouse that 'just works' without me going for the battery charger whenever the 2 hours left message comes on.

20. Number6

Efficiency

So how much of the power radiated by the transmitter is actually received and used for charging, and how much is sent off into space? The point of the close-contact stuff is that it allows fairly tightly controlled fields to improve the efficiency. If something is a couple of metres away then much if the radiated power is going to be absorbed by everything else in the room. I guess it'll help keep you warm in the cold season.

21. David 45

Looks like old technology

Nice diagram of a tuned circuit there! Where's the EF86 valve? ("Tube" to our brethren across the pond!)

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: Looks like old technology

You need an EF80. The EF86 is an audio valve - then again maybe you want to 'hear' how well it's charging your gizmos.

No, wait. Go the whole hog and use an AC/VP1.

1. David 45

Re: Looks like old technology

Ha! Slip of the fingers/brain interface. Had to look that beast up. http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0320.htm

Yeah, that oughta do it! Variable moo as well. Wow!

22. All names Taken

You are all correct no?

I may be mistaken (apologies if so) but I'd guess that Apple has a device of sorts that uses a well known observable and historic fact that things can be charged wirelessly.

Trouble is interference, charging the wrong things by mistake, making things run hot or even interfering with other devices into carrying voltages they should not have might also be historic problems?

If so, maybe the Apple has patented a way or a technology to avoid some of those undesirable results?

I guess time will tell.

23. This post has been deleted by its author

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm still waiting for Apple to patent Pie.

25. tom dial Silver badge

Patents

Patents are, and always have been, evidence of successful rent seeking. There *may* be some social benefit from the fact that the patent documents must disclose the invention so that others may build upon it (the alternative being to keep the invention a trade secret). My admittedly untrained observation is that many or even most most of the software related patents I have read tend strongly to obscure the nature of the invention, which turns out after study to be pretty obvious to anyone even moderately skilled in the arts of programming. Indeed, it has for some years been my opinion that a programmer who fails to infringe at least a patent a day is not being very productive.

26. armster
    Unhappy

Did anyone look at the patent before commenting?

I think the patent talks about distance charging, not inductive mat charging which has indeed been around for years. If I read this correctly it will be used for the Apple mice and keyboards, and will be integrated in future macs (but I could be wrong). Certainly nobody builds anything like that currently, and I don't know enough about the Wireless Power Alliance patents to see if they have anything similar. The older patents are certainly very different.

1. Steve I
      Facepalm

Re: Did anyone look at the patent before commenting?

"Re: Did anyone look at the patent before commenting?" - if you mean the downvoters then bear in mind that that is The Register i.e. of course not. All those pages of technical information and all the mouth-breathers think that it simply say says:

<adopt caveman voice> "We Apple. We charge no wire. hur hur hur. We first."

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stategic

Apple are dirty in their methods to sell more units. Probably just doing this as a strategy to halt Samsung sales in the future via the courts, just like before. Claim a broken patent and bang, no more samsung sales in Germany for a month!

28. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Devil

You can't pay me enough money to install a wireless charging pad anywhere in my home which is an EMI and AC electrical field generator.

29. Sil

The inNOvation company

Didn't you know they invented rounded square?

It is said Apple is preparing to patent circles, squares and black colored turtlenecks too.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Actually... something smartera.

OK I am worldly and wise but what I do know about, and what I am proficient in, is merely a matter of practice...

Some I practice much and some I practice little.

While I am sort of probably getting the term wrong, with that Apple patent theft / of that little diagram of the transformer coil and the capacitor, the term, "a charge coupling" transformer?" seems to fit the bill?

I have seen shit loads of that circuit in transformer design circuits.... Inductive coupling...

That circuit is as elementary as basic wire wound transformers, light bulbs, resistors,

Like a half wave pulse rectifier.......

This Apple patent scam is fucking crap. "Oh we are taking out a patent infringement on something that has been around since Voltair took a shit one Sunday morning, or was it when Layden took a piss in a jar on Monday morning?"

Ooooo this such bullshit................

There must be some 400,000,000 circuit diagrams in the last 200 years before the meat heads at Apple ever fired up their brain cell over the issue.

31. scarshapedstar
    Thumb Down

Malum delenda est.

32. nowster
    Boffin

Prior art would not be Tesla but Heinrich Hertz using a portable tuned loop, looking for tiny sparks in a darkened room.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.