back to article Humans becoming steadily STUPIDER, says brainiac boffin

A US biologist is of the opinion that human brainpower peaked thousands of years ago, and that our smarts have been declining ever since. "I would be willing to wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Thorne

Re: It's simple...

Yes you can but the side effects are fatal

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Dominance

Genetics is a fascinating subject, as is the related ability of species to adapt to new environments.

Who could have guessed that the internet, for example, would so quickly become overrun with cats?

2. Eddy Ito
    Facepalm

"One could argue that anything that occurs in Nature must be good for us," he says, "but this line of reasoning is quite incorrect."

Of course one could equally argue that anything that occurs in Nature must be bad for us. Just look at the earthquakes, tidal waves, tropical mega-storms, wild fires and tornadoes then add in other fun things like grizzly bears, lions, etc. and let's not forget other increasingly stupid people. Would prof. Crabby find this line of reasoning to be equally incorrect?

I'm even willing to concede that "an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC" would be far smarter than the average person of today without any proof. Mostly it's because he's selected such a small sample of the population of Athens as citizens only made up something like 15% of the general population. The general population, being slaves and other folks without access to education, wasn't likely dominated dominated by great thinkers. But hey, drop that average Athenian citizen in down town New York and see how long he survives. 10 to 1 says he couldn't make ten blocks by himself.

I propose an equally asinine theory. The amount of intelligence in the world is fixed and all the people are forced to live with the little piece they were born with. That means that the only intelligence for newborns is what is simultaneously given up by someone dying and as long as the birth rate exceeds the death rate people will get stupider. The only questions remaining are, was prof. Crabtree born in the morning and was it this morning?

3. Cartman
    Boffin

Does Mrs Crabtree teach in South Park? This theory is a parody, right?

4. Esskay
    Happy

"[a] citizen from Athens... would be among the...most intellectually alive of our colleagues..."

...until a moment or two later, when he or she would presumably walk out in front of a moving bus.

How we measure "intellect" changes over the years - we're probably less intelligent in some areas, but have adapted to value skills that are more suited to the environment in which we live. Like bus avoidance.

I've often wondered how it would be to try the reverse hypothetical - to be plonked back in the ancient greeks time. And tell them about atoms, molecules, penicillin, internal combustion, etc... much of our knowledge has built on what the best and brightest have discovered over 1000's of years - whilst as individuals we may not have the same capacity as ancient greeks, we instead have the communication ability to work together with our neighbors and share advancements without instantly trying to kill each other (most of the time).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But would they be able to fill in a tax return?

As creatively as a modern Greek?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But would they be able to fill in a tax return?

Naughty!

2. Vic

Re: "[a] citizen from Athens... would be among the...most intellectually alive of our colleagues..."

> And tell them about atoms, molecules, penicillin, internal combustion, etc...

...And be branded a nutjob who needs locking up for his own good?

Vic.

5. Coen Dijkgraaf
    IT Angle

The Marching Morons by Cyril M. Kornbluth

"The Marching Morons" is a science fiction story written by Cyril M. Kornbluth, originally published in Galaxy in April 1951

It describes a world where intelligent people having less children than dumb ones and hence just getting out-bred, and without natural selection eliminating enough of the dumb people before they can procreate (e.g. earning a Darwin Award) the same genetic concept applies.

So this theory is hardly a new one.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      IT Angle

Re: The Marching Morons by Cyril M. Kornbluth

Did he also do a short story called "The Little Black Bag" about a doctors bad from this world that gets sent back in time and is very useful, until its owners activate a remote kill switch?

1. Coen Dijkgraaf

Re: The Marching Morons by Cyril M. Kornbluth

Yes, Cyril M. Kornbluth did write a short story called "Little Black Bag", I haven't read it though.

The story is available as part of the Gutenberg project.

http://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/kornbluth-littleblack/kornbluth-littleblack-00-h.html

6. Scott 1
    Stop

Me fail IQ test? That's un-possible!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He seems to assume that intelligence is the only trait that helps reproduction

Being clever didn't help early man all that much individually, but it did help collectively. i.e., if your environment changed and you risked starvation, the clever guy might have an idea for the group to go somewhere else or do something different that got them out of their jam.

But the strongest guy(s) in that group still got most of the women and had most of the offspring, so his intelligence was not always passed along.

8. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

hes a proper idiot if he think he can look at number of genes and extrapolate out brainpower

its like trying to extrapolate penis length from number of penis hairs. nice idea, but misses the point entirely.

9. Peter Murphy
    FAIL

The argument fails even by its own standard.

If I understand it, Professor Crabtree is trying to point out that the Athenians of 1000BC are brighter than people today. But his problem is that the ancient Athenians that got themselves in the history books for being "smart" - blokes like Sophocles, Herodotus, Hippocrates, Socrates and Pericles - actually lived in the 400s BC. So if there's been a decline in intelligence since 1000BC, why did all the big names occur 600 years later?

The argument sounds suss to me.

10. Steve Brooks

Test, go through and list the number of ancient greeks you know by name, Plato, Archimedes, Aristotle etc, not exactly plebs right? Yes compared to the average 20th centrian these guys would still come out pretty smart. Now it's 2000 years in the future, name the pre-spacesettled humans you know the names of, ooh Einstien, Heisenburg, Hawkins. Gee they were brainy back then! Looking back from our point in the future the only ancient people we know anything about personally were the outstanding's of that era, does this really need explaining?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Counter argument?

This is just a theory - what are the counter arguments against it?

I thought that genetic mutations could lead down countless evolutionary roads, some a dead-end, some disastrous and others advantageous?

Surely it would be more accurate to theorise that our intelligence is adapting to conditions, rather than deteriorating?

Whilst hunter gathering activities potentially further intellectual ability, surely mathematics, reading, writing and art would be just as beneficial?

Short of inbreeding, there's every chance two adults with low IQ could produce a child with high IQ - in fact, it happens all the time.

It all goes back to that age old question: "Nature or Nurture"

If a brain is left to stagnate, with very little stimulus from an early age, does that result in a stupid individual?

Conversely, if the brain is stimulated from an early age with problem solving tasks, would that result in an intelligent individual?

Gaaah, this is worse than discussing politics or religion!

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

visions of the world's population...

docilely watching reruns on televisions that they can no longer understand or build

How many could already? I could design and *construct* one, given the parts - though it would have to be a CRT type and it assumes that there's an industry base to create all the components. If I had to start from scratch, even knowing the principles, there would have to be a lot of experimentation in the glass-blowing, metallurgy, and phosphorescent chemistry areas at the very least.

There's no great intelligence required to understand complex technical systems, but to build and maintain those systems there's an awful lot of thinking going on up front...

And of course it could be argued that intelligence is less of a requirement for survival when one has everything organised, available, safe... nice for the Eloi but watch out for the Morlocks!

13. bobbles31

I wonder if by "average citizen" he means, the subset of all Athenians that are not slaves and not the sum of all people that live and work in Athens. I believe this to be an important distinction because it is essentially like saying the average person at Cambridge University is genetically disposed to high intelligence (not counting all those people who clean the floors, cook food etc etc)

14. Aron
    Devil

Idiocracy arrives

If cities are making people less intelligent then imagine what political propaganda, fake stories and hysterical information on Facebook is doing to young minds. We'll be having a good laugh on the 13th December 2012.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Idiocracy arrives

Yes, but wait till 21st!

15. ewozza
    Trollface

Previous Research

Here is some previous research into this pressing problem.

http://ia700402.us.archive.org/2/items/decadeofprogress00inte/decadeofprogress00inte.pdf

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If Greeks were so clever, how come we waited 2000 years for the Internet?!

Answer me that - Ha, you can't can you.

Descartes, Plato, Socrates, Pythagoras, Hippocrates.... lick my hairy balls - I have the interwebs!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If Greeks were so clever, how come we waited 2000 years for the Internet?!

Probably for the same reason we waited that long for the microwave.

17. Robert Grant
    FAIL

Natural selection faux pas

He reckons we started selecting against different characteristics when we moved into cities? We STOPPED selecting a long time ago, as selecting only works if people die before they can procreate. Nowadays almost anyone can find someone and live long enough to do that. Selection has pretty much stopped, at least in the places I've lived, and been replaced by ideas of equality and grace.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so this guy is all for forced selection ? Eugenics again.

1. Thorne

You could always make the illegal drugs legal with a built in contraceptive. No more crack babies and less stupid people breeding

19. FunkyEric

Just another point...

We used to have lots of wars to kill off the stupid people younger. Now they just sit in their council estates / trailer parks / etc getting paid to do nothing except breed more stupid people. No wonder it's getting increasingly hard for the working classes to support them. Admittedly there are some stupid people in the working classes, because someone has to do the dull mudane, smelly jobs, but clearly we have too many of them at the moment. Losing a few million of them here and there wouldn't be a great loss to humanity. However our society frowns on this kind of thinking because then there wouldn't be enough people left to buy all the shit that it produces making "money" to keep the clever people happy. All rather counter-productive really.

1. robin48gx

Re: Just another point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Haig,_1st_Earl_Haig

Your eugenics implementation hero then I presume.

20. annodomini2
    FAIL

Assumption

If the article correctly presents the researcher's hypothesis, then he has ultimately failed before he has begun, simply because he has assumed that all genetic mutation is to the negative!

If all genetic mutation was negative, life (as we know it) wouldn't exist on this planet!

The only postulate that would verify his claim is that 'stupid' people have more children, with 'intelligent' people having fewer or none. Resulting in an increasing proportion of 'stupid' genes in the pool.

Given we have no accurate measure of intelligence, as far as I am concerned it's all speculative bulls**t!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Assumption

"If the article correctly presents the researcher's hypothesis, then he has ultimately failed before he has begun, simply because he has assumed that all genetic mutation is to the negative!"

No he hasn't. He's saying that bad mutations have a bad effect. Not going on about good mutations is taking a what-caused-it approach rather than a what-didn't approach. Before anyone tries to argue he's glossing over things that don't agree with him, I think that's untrue too.

21. John Savard

In Like Flynn

How does he account for the Flynn effect, then, where they've had to keep adjusting IQ scores downward to keep the average at 100?

22. Some Beggar
    WTF?

Has he bothered to test this hypothesis?

There are still a reasonable number of hunter-gatherer groups dotted around the world who would not have been subject to this proposed decline. Compare their intellect to that of people in the industrialised world ... there's your proof one way or the other.

Am I missing something?

1. Thorne

Re: Has he bothered to test this hypothesis?

Not really

The more primitive societies are still evolving. Modern society is de evolving.

A stupid tribesman who kicks a lion in the balls gets eaten. A stupid bogan who kicks a lion in the balls get rescued by the keeper and posts the video on youtube.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thats why shakespeare is so difficult

Back then they were cleverer and had bigger vocabs...

24. robin48gx
    Trollface

Cavemen

Thos new generation, poncing about, painting on the cave walls, we had to fight the giants, thirty of us in coordinated attacks with our newly developed spear throwers.... this new lot are getting weaker and stupider by the generation......

25. Sirius Lee

Another apocalyptic warning

Are research grant agencies only handing out funds to researchers that predict an apocalyptic future? Is it really the case that mutations only have a deleterious effect? Is it not at all possible that some will have a positive impact?

And isn't nature vs nurture rammed down our throats at every opportunity? I'd guess that my teenage sons have more exposure to mind expanding ideas than any Athenian ever did and that their experience of the world is richer than said Athenian as a consequence. I'm sure that on the whole they were closer to the earth than people alive today except those whose livelihood depends upon it in which case their comprehension and appreciation of the earth will be off the charts by comparison. Wanna rely on farmer Plato or farmer Giles? I'll go with Giles, thanks.

And finally, there are billions of humans alive today - many times the number alive in 1000BC. As a consequence there is greater scope for diverse mutations and for good ones to spread rather than keeping it in the family (though maybe some inbreeding also made a positive contribution to intellectual capacity if only by weeding out defects).

26. Identity
    Facepalm

I've been saying this for years!

But I ascribe it to pollution — though that's an untested hypothesis...

27. James Gosling
    Facepalm

OMG!

I see stupid people!

28. Alistair
    Coat

I find it odd that

a) it took to the middle of page two to find a reference to my favourite tagline:

The sum total of intelligence on the planet is a constant.

and

b) that it took to the middle of page three to find a notation that mutations can be both negative and beneficial.

But perhaps that is just proving the the hypothesis.

/runs and hides under a rock from the downvotes.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would we do without stupid people?

Without 'em we couldn't yell "LOOK AT THAT" and then grab their popcorn when they did.

30. Vic Sub
    Happy

Obviously some XKCD is in order

http://xkcd.com/603/

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.