back to article Classic game 'Elite' returns … on Kickstarter

Elite, the classic BBC Micro game immortalised as winner of Reg Hardware's Antique Code Show All-time Classic Award, has returned as a Kickstarter project. David Braben, one of the developers of the original game and founder of Frontier Developments, writes on the game's Kickstarter page that the next instalment of the game, “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Graham Marsden

Re: The POWER of The Reg

"Did anyone here genuinely make it all the way to Elite?"

Yes, but only because of the bug in the original BBC Micro version where you would get ranking for shooting up Police ships!

So I'd sit outside a space station, give it a zap with my military laser, then blast loads of Vipers as they came out :-)

1. Gordon Pryra
    Mushroom

To me Braben is pure childhood nostalger

Many people think of Sinclair when they think of the 80's, for me is Sid Meiers and David Braben

And David Braben is English !!

Only 5 grand to have some pie n mash with the icon?

Just got to work out how to divert 5k from the joint account without the wife divorcing me.

2. myarse
    Alien

Oolite

I'd actually like them to team up with the Ooite people who have done a fantastic job with just the time on their hands.

One of the big requests is to make it MMO like which they say they can't because of engine limitations. So let Braben work on the engine and use the Oolite assets.

Agree with the comments about the longer game, I loved Oolite until I got the ship I wanted then just lost interest. Not so much cudous in being deadly anymore - I never got to Elite in the specy version - and far to many other things it fill my time.

And docking computers are for Tribbles.

3. Youngdog

Two pages of posts...

...and no IOSers have mentioned GoF2? What is the world coming to!

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Two pages of posts...

I've commented on this article before but didn't mention GoF2 because it's not really the same game. It's a BIT like Elite 1 but with a smaller universe and a main story with lots of missions.

It's still a decent enough game to play on the train but it's not Elite.

4. Timly
    Happy

Nostalgia Attack!

Ah! Many a happy hour/weeks/months spent playing the 'Executive Elite' version on my much loved BBC Master with 65C102 Co-Pro.

Oh hell. I'll have to dig it out and fire it up again now!

5. Imsimil Berati-Lahn
    Go

Count me in!

I'm chucking in a tuppence if they keep random hyper-whoopsies into Thargoid witch-space... Bring it on!

6. James Hughes 1

Elite on the BBC, then played Freelancer to completion on the PC - here's hoping the new Elite is like a combination of the two.

I'd base it all on the 'Culture' universe, rather than 'Foundation' - or perhaps the 'Commonwealth' from Peter F Hamilton.

7. Robinson
    Thumb Up

Ah

It's crowd-sourced funding. I kicked in £20, so I can reserve my commander name in-game. No idea if it will be a success but I'm curious to see it. I see all of the £3000 + donation slots were filled (dinner with the Dev team).

So thumbs up to this now. Although I'll probably be in my mid-40's by the time it's released.

8. PlacidCasual
    Thumb Up

Jumpgate - The Reconstruction Initiative

If David is looking for a flight model for his new Elite I hope he got the chance to play Jumpgate. That had possibly the most satisfying skill based twitch flight mechanics I have ever come across. They were semi Newtonian, so not Elite and not Frontier but a happy marriage somewhere inbetween.

I bought my first PC just to play Jumpgate and never regretted the purchase, I just wish it had had the procedural mission process that Davis is planning for his new Elite. Mission repeition and grind in games is a real problem and only mega budget games like the Elder Scrolls with hundreds designers to produce content seem to avoid the issue.

9. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Windows

well this should be fun

lets hope they get the crowd sourcing cash they need and come out with a version of elite worthy of the name elite

PS time for the misty eyed memories....

Of doing contracts, but only in imperial space.... fly to space port.. wait for target to take off, blow him up then shoot down as many police as possible before making your escape... get out of imperial space and claim your winnings...

old geezer..... because thats what I am

10. b166er

wow, when I checked that Kickstarter page this morning, it was at £45,000

Now, because of this article and presumably the one on /. it's up at £250,000.

Not bad for a days work!

11. Astarte

Vivat Elite

I do hope the new version will be as much fun as the original and not be bloated to the extent that playability is sacrificed to just a demonstration of graphics programmers' skills. Sadly, a lot of modern games concentrate on excellent and jazzy graphics while managing to create a very impressive but ultimately boring game with little or no satisfaction.

I still have my ‘Beeb’ model B in storage complete with second processor and dual floppies (5¼ and 3½-inch) plus my library of discs – I’m going to open it up, dust it down and cross my fingers.

12. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    WTF?

Ummm.... Reserved..?

I see that if you donate a certain sum of money a 'digital copy is reserved for you'.

Does anyone know what this means? It might be interpreted to suggest that you get a copy of the game - but equally, it could just mean that a copy is 'reserved' for you to buy if you feel like it...

It would be nice to know...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like