back to article LONDON iPHONE 5 MADNESS: 'You must be CRAZY to buy Apple'

Giggling Apple fanbois queuing for the new iPhone 5 in London gave Apple Store staff high-fives as a man bellowed at them: "Are you mad?!" The bewildering scene marked the start of another Apple iThing launch, and another day of eyebrow-raising antics on the streets of London and beyond. "Why are you shouting 'iPhone 5 iPhone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mike Judge
    Stop

Samaritans will be busy tonight..

one they discover that the iPhone5 is not all it's cracked up to be, and rather shit and overpriced compared to competing high end Android handsets..

Lets hope they can actually find the local Samaritan's with the shitty mapping solution provided.

1. VinceH
      Trollface

Re: Samaritans will be busy tonight..

"Lets hope they can actually find the local Samaritan's with the shitty mapping solution provided."

Well, on the bright side, they won't be able to find any bridges to jump off.

2. ukgnome

Just one question

The line of sad individuals queuing, where do they poop?

1. ukgnome

Re: Just one question

I wouldn't usually answer my own question, but I have just been told they poop in their hands and then clap?

Dumb fookers

1. Simon Harris

Pooping in their hands... ... and then high-fiving the Apple Store staff.

Now that would be worth watching.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Just one question

The line of sad individuals queuing, where do they poop?"

Out of their mouths.

3. Squarebob Spongepants
      Happy

Surely as Apple users they'd have their own iToilet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLrT9EQqcbk

3. Furbian
    Go

There's a 'queuing' paradox here.

I for one cannot understand why anyone would want to queue for anything, because I hate queuing, unless I have company. On occasions I have even left queues after running out of patience or buying something else with a shorter queue, when it comes to food that is, not phones. I buy on-line, so the only queues I face in my life are for food, or passport control, 'security' etc. at airports.

So these Apple fans are actually showing a great deal of patience, which I do consider admirable in an odd sort of way.

1. Jim Coleman
      Meh

Re: There's a 'queuing' paradox here.

But surely they're queueing because they're IMPATIENT - they won't wait for an online purchase to deliver and they have to have it RIGHT NOW

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

I, too, deny my British heritage and refuse to queue unless absolutely necessary.

I don't queue for products. I buy something else, elsewhere, which is readily available, or wait for the queue to disappear (and get on with my life in the meantime)

I don't queue for food. If you can't be bothered to serve me in X amount of time, or put enough staff on, there's a high chance the kitchen is understaffed, the food is undercooked, the floors are under-washed and the stock under-checked.

I don't "get" queuing. If your product is so fabulous, you'll have made it easy for me to get. If your restaurant is so great, you won't keep me waiting or let a queue build up without informing people of their waiting time. If your bank is so wonderful for my savings, why can't you afford another cashier on the front-line?

I generally leave others to queue if they want (even people I'm queuing with - I have walked away from friends in queues in the past, got something else and came back to stand with them while I eat it. Their willpower seldom holds out to the front of the queue so they can buy something for themselves to eat...). My patience is limited in that, despite being near-infinite in other regards. I have not only left queues, I have left them vocally. I have stood in the front of a queue of 2 for ten minutes before being served only to tell them, quite clearly and unnecessarily loudly, to stuff it (because they were messing about behind the bar with a makeshift paper-ball football rather than serve me, despite having seen me waiting), and have them chase me down the street to try and serve me (I pointed out that if you take ten minutes to say a word to me, how long are my food/drink going to take after I've paid you?). The guy behind me was silly enough to want to take advantage and I hope they served him quicker than me, I really do. I'd *hate* to think he was in there for 20 minutes still waiting for his order after managing to gain one place in the queue.

A queue is a useful, necessary concept in some things. Other times it's wasteful and insulting to your customers. I'd rather go back to a place that closed the queues off once they hit ten minutes so they can actually serve people without disappointing than one with an eleven-minute, unmanaged queue.

Not once have I personally felt hard-done-by by this principle either.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think that the real queuing paradox regarding the iPhone release is that if there was no queue, people wouldn't queue. People only queue because there is a queue. If that makes any sense at all.

In other words, it's a feedback loop - people only queue, because there is a queue and if there is a queue it (the product) must be worth queuing for. Or something.

4. nematoad
    Unhappy

Apple = cult

Proof positive that Apple IS a cult, look at all the sad deluded people worshipping at the altar of Jobs.

Pathetic

1. daiakuma

Re: Apple = cult

Agreed.

"Apple is crazy, you have to be crazy for Apple"

Substitute Jesus for Apple, and that's exactly what members of whacko evangelical cults say.

Steve Jobs appears to have studied the manipulative psychological techniques that cults use, and applied them systematically in Apple's marketing strategy.

5. bolccg
    Stop

Ugh

This is just weird. Regardless of the phone or product or company or whatever, people need to keep a sense of perspective.

More than anything though, it's just not British, is it?

1. Mike 102
      FAIL

Re: Ugh

I diasgree. Isn't queuing one of the things we are famous for?

1. bolccg
        Happy

Yeah, that's the travesty - they've ruined a perfect opportunity for a nice low key, well ordered queue! :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I disagree. Isn't queuing one of the things we are famous for?"

No this is not a queue, this is a bunch of retards squatting in the streets, then acting like zealots from a moron cult, who then having been fleeced go home to fondle there little black slabs.

A queue: is an orderly line used to ensure people are served and in the order they arrived. Its main object is to ensure fairness, and that is why the English hate queue jumpers, which is something we associate with uncouth johnny foreigners.

6. Ottman001
    Black Helicopters

These are people who, for whatever reason, have failed to develop a healthy cynicism of marketing. Maybe they are actually a bit dim, but that is just my hypothesising. Regardless, they have allowed themselves to fall completely pray to Apples marketing and have not only dispensed with their cash for the product but have allowed themselves to be recruited as agents by the Apple marketing team.

Apple have been successful in brainwashing some of these people for years now. At some point, one or two of them may have an independent thought and that scares Apple. Once that happens, it won't take long before there is descent amongst the ranks of the iCult. They need to reinforce in the minds of their minions, that the iPhone is the one true smartphone and false idols must not be worshipped. That's what the high-fiving is all about, feel good reinforcement to 'cure' any doubts.

As for me, I believe I am what marketing men refer to as "a lost cause". I have developed supremely advanced cynicism.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just London

Victoria Square they were queued up since 11pm last night

http://www.u.tv/News/Overnight-queues-in-Belfast-for-iPhone5/2f664fd6-e516-4417-892d-36fe371d89dc

The next Apple story...

http://www.u.tv/News/Apple-app-creates-airport-at-Dublin-farm/0e06ea34-0cb9-4938-95b3-e58889aac75f

8. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Trollface

Moonies, Scientologists and Apple Fanbois ...

what a bunch of cults. (Good job this isn't the Grauniad.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Moonies, Scientologists and Apple Fanbois ...

So Android users aren't like that either?

I would say many of them are, many of them will not look at a Windows Phone either. So they are just as obsessive about Android despite WP being better for those who are into gaming and Google being pretty evil too.

9. Valerion

Sensationalism

Sub-Headline: "I want it NOW!", fangirl shrieks

Actual article text: "I want it now!" the woman beamed.

1. daiakuma

Re: Sensationalism

Maybe she was beaming as she shrieked. Quite probable, actually.

10. Ben Rosenthal

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

11. Tom 38

One wonders why you don't get quite the same level of piss take at similar events for Xbox, PS3, even some games...

1. Mike 102
      Paris Hilton

or even why some people don't let facts get in the way of giving someone/something a good bashing.

These people are not harming anyone by queuing up. I dont understand why people need to be quite so mean.

Oh hold on, it's human nature..I guess like some state being guilible is human nature....

I too can make up a load of nonsense too.

2. mark 63 Silver badge

quite the same level of piss take

you do from me!

now that its being done more the level of derision will rise

especially games - that black ops queing was sad indeed.

Wasnt there a video of someone coming out the shop with their Xbox and smashing it to pieces in front of the horrified queue?

I used to think that was a waste but now i think its money well spent. maybe it'll make some of those morons think what they're doing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But we doo take the piss out of them!

The big difference is that the main stream media don't wet themselve over the "news" to the same degree.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*shrugs* Fan behavior (as in hardcore fan, not "I like this" fan), I've traveled to a good few countries and queued many an hour to see my top jpop idols and I can't even take those home with me!

1. Rukario
      Paris Hilton

But they're only holograms anyway!

(Paris, not quite Hatsune Miku.)

13. Alfie
    Happy

Black Books

Reminds me of the episode where Manny leaves Black Books to work at the new bookstore next door. Simon Pegg was excellent as the store manager full of management speak trying to get him to cut his hair and get him to wear the corporate uniform. So nice to see life imitating art.

14. DEAD4EVER
    WTF?

apple fanboys

this shows how sad and pathetic all apple freaks have become to sit and wait outside a store for a whole week is just beyond a joke they do realise that all the leaks they might of seen on-line were pretty much accurate so much for apples secrecy eh lol. as for apple well Steve jobs ant around personally I hope android kills apple

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: apple fanboys

> I hope android kills apple

That's hardly pro-choice is it? most of us want competition and choice to keep prices down and to stop monopoly abuse.

Your beloved Android would have been like a primitive Blackberry OS with a tiny screen, qwerty keypad and a stylus were it not for the iPhone 1.

Search for "Android prototype" and look at the images. It was never originally going to become a large touch screen phone until the success of the iPhone 1 (which everyone said would be a failure and it wasn't).

1. Mark .

Re: apple fanboys

Styluses were never required. Personally I like a stylus as an addition, and wish more phones came with them. You do realise the Android Galaxy Note has a stylus?

Plenty of phones did have QWERTY keyboards, and plenty didn't. Just as was the case before Apple. So I don't see how anything changed there (QWERTY keyboards have no become less common, but that's a lot more recently that they phased out - so more due to the popularity of Symbian or Android, than Apple way back in 2007).

Tiny screen? Let's see, Android has increased all the way up to 4.8" or even 5.5", whilst Apple stuck at 3.5" for years, and finally get an increase to 4", and you say we should thank Apple? Screen sizes have been increasing since the early 2000s.

And even if any of these points were true - that's nothing compared to all the things that came first in other phones. I'll thank Apple, the day that I see Iphone users thanking other companies. But I never do.

"iPhone 1 (which everyone said would be a failure and it wasn't)."

Nope, the complete opposite. The near entire media hyped it months before release and claimed it would change everything and be most successful (whilst other full screen touchscreen devices were ignored). The reality? It was outsold massively by Symbian, and even BlackBerry and WinMo. Even one single Nokia model sold comparable to original Iphone (the 5800), even though that was just one of countless Nokia phones. Sales grew slowly to finally become reasonable around 2010, but it was never the number one platform.

No it didn't *fail* as such, but hardly anyone claimed that, and most product releases from multinationals don't fail, even if they don't become number one. WinMo wasn't a failures either, for example, even though it never became number one.

15. RainForestGuppy

I think you should lay off these fanbois who have queue to buy a upgrade to an out of date product.

It's obvious that the don't get out much and probably have little social interaction apart from poking people on facebook and talking to SIRI.

It means that once a year they can emerge into the sunlight and meet there "Friends" in the blue shirts at the Apple store.

1. illiad

mega geeks...:)

they are very like this...ROFL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZwx1zDTsSI

16. Andy-Klockweiss
    Happy

Imported Americanisms

This brings back to mind doing one of those sales presentations in Florida, where they give you a free family theme park ticket for attending.

So we all had our free breakfast, and very nice it was too, a short 20min video, then a tour of the apartments c/w swimming pool, club and golf course, that were being touted. Then back to the breakfast room for the "hard sell". This was the laughable bit.

Every so often a guy would come on the mic to announce to the room full of people, "We would like to welcome Mr & Mrs Moronic Imbecile to our community," . . . at which point all the "hard sell" sales people would all burst into euphoric applause. Clearly implying these crappy apartments were selling like hot cakes and we were to be swept up in this hysteria and buy one - in yer dreams mate!

To finish, the 'junior' soon exhausted all her arm twisting techniques against our stone wall and passed us to the 'senior'. He soon recognised a lost cause much quicker than the junior did and handed over the voucher and off we zoomed to the intended theme park, had a fantastic day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Imported Americanisms

I was thinking along similar lines myself.

Whatever happened to the concept of the good old British "stiff upper lip"? —where, upon hearing that he had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and that his entire family had been killed in a train crash, a "chap" might permit himself a slight furrow of the brow and a "dashed bad luck!", uttered between clenched teeth.

OK. Maybe that kind of behaviour is a bit stultifying but surely there's a happy medium that folk could adopt? Somewhere between expressing all the emotion of a cardboard cut-out and the 'Merkin style cavorting round, whooping and hollering like Steve Ballmer on LSD, every time someone waves the appropriate flag or badge in your face.

17. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Whatever floats your boat!

I walked to work from Warren Street to Victoria this morning, there was about 30 people queueing outside the O2 shop on Oxford Street and only about 50 odd outside the Apple store on Regent Street this was around 7:15am. So you could happily join the queues at 7:30 on release day if you really were that desperate!

Still, live and let live, each to their own!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whatever floats your boat!

Most people just order them online. The online ordering this time had much more capacity so was quite quick and of course easy. Phone arrived today - job done.

1. Jim Coleman
        FAIL

Re: Whatever floats your boat!

I hope you know how to get to your office and don't have to rely on your shiny new maps app

18. Miek
    Linux

So, do you still have to wait in the queue if you want to buy a dongle or something other than an iPhone5?

1. Christopher Rogers
      Pirate

bloody good question. How miffed would you be if you had to stand behind those bound-to-be-stinking fanbois just to buy a new cover for your 4s??

1. Miek
        Linux

... and would I get a High Five for doing so ? I hope they will wash their hands first.

19. alanturingslefteyebrow
    Black Helicopters

Shopper plants?

Maybe some of those enthusiastic shoppers were Apple plants, intended to make other genuine shoppers not feel so bad about behaving like obsessives.

20. Peter Mount
    WTF?

Maidstone didn't have queues

Carphone warehouse was open early this morning & had a few inside as I walked past to get the train - but no one queueing.

The funny thing was getting stopped outside & being asked why they were open - so Apples PR machine hasn't brainwashed everyone ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maidstone didn't have queues

No just people are happy to order online - I queued once but after that just order online. My iPhone 5 arrived just after 9am - job done.

They pre-sold 2x more than the iPhone 4 which was already well up on the iPhone 3 so I suspect many more are doing the same.

1. Jim Coleman
        Joke

Looking forward to seeing lots of Audi A4s driving into rivers and colliding with tower blocks then.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I remember the original iPhone launch. I worked at CPW head office and we were all asked to help with the iPhone launch.

The launch was as 6:02 (o2 were the launch partner) on a Friday evening in november. Stores had shut at 4.00PM to allow time to put the Jesus phone on display and set up the marketing materials.

I was assigned to a large CPW store on a retail park to help with queue control. Unfortunetly the rest of the retail park had shut so there was nobody around. We had 3 people in the Queue, 1 was waiting until the store reopened to pick up a repair, and the other 2 wanted Blackberrys.

I was almost having to drag people off the street to have a look at the bloody iPhone, we gave it until 7.30pm then shut up and went home.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like