back to article Humanity facing GLOBAL BACON SHORTAGE

Doomwatchers are painting an apocalyptic picture of a world where weeping humanity is reduced to scraping meagre nourishment from mash without bangers, hole without toad, scratchings without pork and, chillingly, sarnies without bacon. According to the BBC, a drought-hit US maize harvest has forced up cereal prices worldwide, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. localzuk Silver badge
    Trollface

Engage smug mode...

...vegetarian. ;)

1. Joe User
      Trollface

Re: Engage smug mode...

Vegetarians: the other white meat.

2. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Trollface

Re: Engage smug mode...

veg·e·tar·i·an [vej-i-tair-ee-uhn]

noun

A bad hunter. Someone who survives by consuming not food, but the stuff that food eats.

"The vegetarian was forced to subsist on slower prey, such as the broccoli and carrot."

2. Bill Fresher

I was planning on buying an iPhone 5 but now I'll save my money for a pack of bacon, two chops and a sausage.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's because of GLOBAL WARMING (tm)

the BBC didn't mention the main reason for high corn prices:

"While the drought may have triggered the price spike in corn, an underlying cause is the federal policy mandating ever-increasing amounts corn for fuel. Because of this policy, ethanol production now consumes approximately 40 percent of the U.S. corn crop, and the cost of corn for use in food production has increased by 193 percent since 2005 [the year before the RFS took effect]. Put simply, ethanol policies have created significantly higher corn prices, tighter supplies, and increased volatility."

source: http://www.globalwarming.org/2012/09/10/ethanol-mandate-waiver-decks-stacked-against-petitioners/

so no bacon for you and me, and no supper at all if you're one of the world's real poor folk :-(

4. Dave 15

Seriously worried

'er in doors keeps calling me a fat pig (when she is being nice - worse when she is not), if she sees profit in slaughter I don't stand a chance....

5. Scott Broukell
    Flame

Petri dish ahoy!

I am actually looking forward to victim less, lab-meat. In-vitro bio-tech is fast approaching the stage when commercial production can begin to be considered. Imagine ordering your own customized prime cut of Saddleback and Old Spot bacon. Charolais rump at possibly as little as half of today's market price mmmm ..... and no animals died in the process (yeah!). I'm drooling at the very thought. It's the future you know and I can't stay silent (or do I mean soylent?), about it any longer.

Flames cos it's frying right now and I'm anticipating some down votes, just saying.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Petri dish ahoy!

One word: "Ambrosia"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The alternative Reg expert viewpoint

This is clearly nothing more than scaremongering by an organised lobby seeking to destroy our economies. Everyone knows that bacon availability has fluctuated throughout human history and in fact bacon today is almost certainly less crispy than when the Vikings settled in Greenland. Making projections like this on little more than computer models doesn't take account of Thames frost fairs or the Maunder Minimum and just because the majority of bacon experts are adamant we are heading into a crisis doesn't mean we should continue to change our behaviour. We will always be able to find more bacon so long as we ignore the Green lobby and start fracking for shale bacon.

7. earl grey
    Paris Hilton

sausage appreciation society

'nuff said

8. Bob Merkin
    Black Helicopters

British SAS

For some reason, I was operating under the delusion that this organization was something completely different.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worth paying more...

... for quality pork goodness.

The difference in quality between my local butchers bacon and a certain large supermarket chain that starts with T is more than a little noticable.

Even their 'finest' range is no comparison.

Yup, you pay a premium for it already - and why not?

Once you've tried proper, high welfare, free to roam and snuffle up truffles pork based products you'll wonder why you ever settled for less.

The cheap stuff - notice how when you fry it, you get water with horrible specs of white fat - ending up with half the product you purchased = bad economic sense.

Pork eaters of Britain, show solidarity!

Buy the good stuff regardless of how pricey it gets - just eat less of it, or make every scrap count!

Your waistline will thank you.

1. Michael Dunn
      Joke

Re: Worth paying more...

"....large supermarket chain that starts with T>>>>" Oh, you've got a Tainsbury's in your town too, have you?

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Worth paying more...

I think he's talking about Torrisons or Taitrose.

10. mrmond
    Pint

Beef ?

Ok, panic over Bacon but doesn't anyone like a nice Beef Sausage? , especially the Beer sausage variety with a good Mash.

1. Moosey
      Pint

Re: Beef ?

Pork > Beef!

Nuff said

11. SirDigalot

speaking of octopig...

didn't she just move into a new house?

12. johnwerneken
    Mushroom

Enviro-Nazis have Gone Too Far!

The conspiracy that diverted the world's food corn to ethanol is not only environmentally useless - and worse, as the ethanol binge is poisoning the Great Plains soils, the Mississippi River, and the Gulf of Mexico - it is not only pricing food out of the reach of poorer folks world-wide, but now: NO BACON!

13. ElPoto
    Thumb Up

Pigs are friends not food.

14. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Linda McCartney...

...meat free bacon.

Quorn bacon.

Mines the one with the puke in the pocket (I didn't mess up the floor in here)

So, anyway, why is a shortage of corn/maize in the USA going to affect UK pigs, or even Danish pigs for that matter? Surely the UK and Europe don't import feed all the way across the Atlantic just for pigs. Don't they still have the pigswill bucket in the school canteens any more?

Where are British Oil and Cake Mills during this crisis?

15. Local G
    Black Helicopters

Dial down your taste buds, Bunkos

Spam is the new bacon.

16. Long John Brass
    Mushroom

Toffuacon anyone?

First there was the abomination that is toffurkey, never was a big turkey fan; so I said nothing

But if Toffu-Bacon is the only thing left to me than the world is definitely coming to its end times

Where will I get my Bacon & Egg Pies from now?

We're doomed I tells ya, DOOOMED

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i'm pig sick of this type of article. sort it out reg!

18. James 36

brick top

And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

19. Andrew Moore

I don't think I'm affected...

...Spke to a mate today who supplies me my pork products- and threre's no difference in the herd size this year than last year and he doesn't see any difference next year. I told him about the corn shortage and he said yeah, that will affect the large producers but not the small. So my bacon is saved.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.