back to article Apple confirms 'surprise' September 12 event

Confirming what pomaceous-minded cognoscenti have been claiming for months, Apple has sent out press invites to a special event in San Francisco on September 12, which looks in all likelihood to be the announcement for the long-anticipated iPhone 5. The announcement begins with the words "It's almost here," followed by a large …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Robert Sneddon

Four and the Far East

The Japanese for four is "shi" which also means "death" (lots of operator overloading in Japanese, especially the single-syllable words...) so it's commonly replaced by "yon". Seven is "shichi", again with the death angle and it's often replaced by "nana". I don't know if the same sort of thing applies in modern Chinese.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet another iPhone

Can't Apple think of an original product anymore instead of rehashing what is now an old design.

They may change the size and the inner workings but it's still the same look.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Yet another iPhone

If they did that everyone would be in uproar about how they 'ruined it'. See Windows8 threads.

It's a small box with a screen, there's not a whole lot to change. If they add NFC and wireless charging that's a big deal though - we know Apple have the strength to make both things standard. Of course then everyone will think they invented both and that will make Reg posters very happy about having stuff to post about, but in the long term will improve stuff for the rest of us.

1. Dave Clarke 5

@JDX - And then Apple will conveniently forget that the S3 had NFC and wireless charging before they did and sue Samsung anyway.

2. Philip Lewis
      Paris Hilton

And you ask this question because you have seen it, right?

Paris: At least I have seen her, really truly.

2. Archibald Trumpetbeetle
    Happy

Fictional exchange which may occur

Pre iphone 5:

Droidman: Look at my big S3/Onex/etc ...ooh look at the big screen

Fanboi: Urgg it's too big, I don't need a phone that big

Post iphone 5 release (assuming it's going to be bigger):

Fanboi: Ooh wow the screen is so big, just what I needed !

1. the-it-slayer
      Happy

Re: Fictional exchange which may occur

Hint: the screen will be probably be taller, not wider. no need for a second hand or stylus. we need phones that don't expect you to stretch the palm of your hand just to hold the damn thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fictional exchange which may occur

Some of us (i.e. MEN) have larger hands, and while I think the SGS3 is big for girls, for me it is perfect...

I guess that means the iPhone is truly a Girl's phone and the Galaxy S a Man's phone... (physically)

Personally I think Samsung needed to release a pretty 3.5" phone along side their 4.8", maybe next year they can...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung's favourite day...

...as their design team purposely starts designing the S4.

"Let's get our corners even rwounder with a aluminium silver back and taller profile!" and scream with glee they've got the iPhone killer.

4. We're all in it together

With free engraving in the Apple store saying

An S3 is for life, not just pulled before xmas

5. Eddy Ito
    Black Helicopters

My ouija board says

In addition to "this changes everything, yet again" there will be a much more significant announcement that aims Cupertino's biggest boot squarely at Samsung's nuts. Apple will declare they have signed a deal with Qualcomm to jointly build / buy a chip fab. It will be in either Nevada to avoid California taxes while keeping it close or Malaysia to cut out the U.S. entirely and not worry about time zones. Expect to see Qualcomm stock rise on the news and Apple to remain fairly flat as the result of the impending cash outlay. Also watch for shares of Samsung & TSMC drop around 20%.

Please note that I am fairly certain of this news that many will call a rumor as it has been confirmed by my magic 8 ball. The only question that remains is, will this bovine excrement news gain any traction in the press?

Safe harbor, blah, blah forward looking statements, yadda, yadda, full disclosure, yadda, blah.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: My ouija board says

Feasible I suppose, except for the bit about TSMC, who make chips for everybody, not just Apple and really wouldn't suffer an Apple departure.

6. Haku

If it is a new fone

Will it come with a built in feature to stop people from recording footage in "tallscreen"?

7. Grikath
    Meh

alternatively...

It's Election Day in the Netherlands. Results will be more far-reaching than whatever Fapple Toy is paraded on that day.

Then again, one of the few brand-shops they have in this here country is just a few streets away, and amazingly not in the Hot Centre of town. Either they cannot pay the rent for prime property, or they have taken the place because it's one of the few places people can camp out without bothering innocent bystanders. ( and far away enough from the local MacDonalds to avoid the usual burger/wrapping barrage.)

Underwhelmage happens.

1. Tom 7

Re: alternatively...

Do you think Apple would sue MacD's if they left Apples queue for a burger queue?

8. Mint Sauce
    Joke

And now for something completely different.

For some reason I'm reminded of Monty Python's Papperbok...

"Coming soon, Page 71!"

"only 15 pages to Page 71"

etc.

And the end result will be as magical and revolutionary no doubt.

9. Silverburn
    Thumb Up

"pomaceous-minded cognoscenti"

Phrase of the week!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes me giggle

The Apple crowd here at work were going on about the 5 in the shadow up until I mentioned they were suffering from advertising and marketing.

I have never seen a bunch of people look so sheepish :)

And yes I am a fan droid and proud of it.

11. Matt_payne666
    Coat

The real meaning of the invite...

12 and 5? how does this relate to a phone? on all invites Ive recieved, this would usually indicate the date being the 12th May

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Benchops

Re: The real meaning of the invite...

I don't think Ive needs an invite. He probably designed the thing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real meaning of the invite...

Does it really have to be said... 12th day and iPhone 5 perhaps? <slaps head>

Or perhaps they want YOU to turn up on 12th May...

12. Andrew James

1. New iPhone

2. New iPod Touch / Nano

3. Apple TV / iTV

4. iMac update

5. iPad Mini

Five products. Rather than "iPhone 5" ... to me, this is not a completely unreasonable prospect, however obvious it seems that its just an iPhone launch. An iPad mini wouldnt need that much introduction, just "hey look, its an iPad, but smaller" ... same with the update to the iPod line. An iMac refresh likely wouldnt take much headline time either.

1. Simon Harris
      Coat

Re: 5

I thought it was '5 peripherals' ...

The average number of products with i-connectivity you'll have to replace because they're no longer compatible with the new iPhone.

13. Mark .

Save you the wait:

My prediction:

* 4" screen (as with Samsung phones around 2010).

* Their own mapping software, so users no longer have to pay for satnav (Android and Nokia years ago).

* Contrived useless statistic handpicked to make Apple's phone look best, with a fancy trademark (as with "PPI", "Retina").

* Updated specs to rival the cutting edge of phone technology 18 months ago.

* Apple logo will now light up, to make it an even more obvious Addidas-logos-everywhere-style advertisement for Apple.

14. davemcwish
    Thumb Down

Meh

So it's another iphone, slightly better than the last one with just a bit more functionality that Stephen Fry and all his little fanboi friends and the press can drool over saying isn't it wonderful. So what will the 'revolutionary design' , (c) S Jobs, be ? The consensus is that it will have NFC, be slightly longer, 16:9 aspect ratio, and have a slightly faster processor. <scarcasm> Wow! noone else has a phone like this </scarcasm>

What I'd like to know is when I can have one (Android or IOS) that's got a decent camera, maybe not quite as good as the Nokia 808 but hell it's my wish list so why not, a beefier and easily changable battery and a good GPS chip (SiRFstarV please) ?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like