back to article Neil Armstrong dies aged 82

Neil Armstrong, who famously took a giant leap for mankind when he descended the ladder of Apollo 11's Eagle lander and set boot on the moon, has died. He was 82. Armstrong was a humble man. He was bemused by the fame that came with his achievement, proclaimed himself no more than a "nerdy engineer" and shunned the spotlight …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: To the people saying he was nothing special

Quite so - a statement from his family concludes:

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.

1. Kharkov

RIP Neil Armstrong.

Modest, but he did what we all dream of.

2. virhunter
    Pint

Not gonna say I miss him

because I never met him. My own feelings about this (even now) are mostly a mix of admiration and envy. He lived longer than most humans on this planet can expect to and in that life he did things none of us will ever do. And he did some of those things riding a several-ton bomb, while many people are still afraid of flying.

If you never met him personally, please don't tell the world about how you miss him. The more honest thing to do would be to drink to him.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP Neil

He was a great mean, and will be remembered for the amazing achievement of being the first man on the moon, it may have been the luck of the draw that put him in the pilot seat, but his is the name we all remember when we think of the moon landings.

I think its also the right occasion to say RIP to all the unmentioned heroes who made Apollo a success, the engineers and the scientists that built the thing!

I will be having a few pints later in honour of Neil & all those involved in Apollo who have passed away unmentioned.

5. Spoonsinger
    Pint

Sad,

but definitely inspirational.

(Ok for the bit for the neg's. When I first heard the the chatter, (back in the day), between mission control and the 'team', I envisioned tech people who spoke English with just slightly different accents. Listening to the re-broadcasts during this sad event, they all sound like mid west farmers chatting over the mechanics of a combine harvester. Weird.)

Beer anyway.

6. Predator

Greatest engineering feat and scientific achievement of the last century. RIP

7. Graham Wilson
    Unhappy

For us baby boomers, this sad event makes us feel old.

As with the assassination of Kennedy, anyone old enough to remember Armstrong and buddies on the moon knows exactly where they were at the time.

As with most students, I took the afternoon off from university and went home to my grandmother's place where I was living at the time and I watched the landing transfixed on an old HMV B&W 21" TV set.

Events like this are never forgotten.

For us baby boomers, this sad event makes us feel very old.

8. AncientBriton

No title grand enough for this man

I have this mental picture of a classroom several thousand years from now with the teacher asking the kids for three famous names from the second millennium. I suspect the answers will be something like Columbus, Einstein and Armstrong.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about

Tesla?

Tesla did more for science than anyone else in recent history, despite his habit for "going off at the deep end" much of his earlier work was absolutely crucial for power distribution and generation.

##AC

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.