back to article Snap suggests Apple out to 'screw' hardware hackers

Apple is designing its own, entirely proprietary screw-head in a bid to prevent punters and repair shops getting inside its future iDevices. At least, it is if - and it's a very big 'if' - you take a piccy posted on the interweb at face value. Captioned "a friend took a photo a while ago at that fruit company, they are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Naughtyhorse

it's AMAZING!!!!11!!1!1!

.... too see that apple have abandoned the i-everything pattern with this revolutionary u-screwed device.

persnly i think

a> this aint news apple/compac - hell even amstrad indulge(/d) in this malarky all the time.

when apple want to keep people out.. .then they just glue the whole tihng together, works fine, just so long as it's not a screen they are gluing :D

2. Alan Denman

Screw the screw, its glue for you know who!

Obviously they simply went for the double whammy of glueing everything solid so even the battery explodes when prized off.

You always have to 'send it back to daddy' with a nice fat cheque to help the impoverished shareholders.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My only problem is ..

.. that any such screwdrivers (*) will come in those blister packs that seem to be designed to withstand a nuclear war.

When I bought a pair of scissors to open such packs, it too came in a blister pack (**)

(*) no, I'm not buying it - to me, that picture yells "fake" in a number of ways

(**) I'm kidding - you can actually easily open such a pack by using a regular can opener. It's also safer.

4. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

It aint a screw. It's clever. I think the rings need to retract into the body when the right tool's used.

Assuming it's not a fake....

I thought at first a couple of pairs of stout tweezers would shift it, but doubt it.

I'm guessing the head has to be removed by one tool, then a SECOND tool needs to be used to retract the rings.

I'll also bet the grey paint on the top isn't particulary scratch-resistant, so as to reveal attempted tampering.

Nasty. Any bomb-disposal experts in the commentard section?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

guilty as charged

This is obviously completely true and just ties in with what I heard about special shaped electrons being used in the batteries.

Non-Apple chargers can't produce the notched electrons required so if you do charge with third party device the battery could explode due to the seventeen million electrons required (obviously counted by the charger - depending on model) not fitting.

Let me tell you an electron explosion is not something you want in your living room.

6. FrankAlphaXII
    Joke

I have a solution to apple's "special" tools.

Its an alternative called a Brick, or a cinder block. You smash it into your iDevice as hard as you can. Repeatedly.

Voila, problem solved.

7. markusgarvey
    FAIL

one more reason...

...that i will NEVER buy an apple product...this is why we cant have nice things!...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: one more reason...

How many reasons are required... or does the list constantly change. I find it funny how everyone always says ONE MORE REASON not to own something... Apparently they don't necessarily kill cows and pigs in a humane way... doesn't mean I won't pick up beef or pork if its on sale. If you won some iProduct in a contest and you really don't want it I'll take it off your hands... if I don't like it then I can sell it.

8. John Savard

Clearly...

Whether or not this is true, it tells us they must have had companies like Apple on Gallifrey.

After all, something must have driven them to invent the sonic screwdriver!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Few people have the know how to repair a phone. What's the big deal? this is about keeping the casual tinkers out.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like