back to article Skype: Nearly half of adults don't install software updates

A new survey commissioned by Skype reveals that 40 per cent of adults do not always update their software when prompted to do so, and that 25 per cent skip software updates because they think they offer no real benefit. The survey was offered on Skype's behalf to some 350,000 individuals in the US, UK, and Germany by internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. EJ
    Facepalm

Ironic this is Skype pointing this out

Secunia's OSI and PSI products are items I preach to every home user I come in contact with. For friends and relatives, I'll show them how to use those simple, free products to make sure their software is updated. Skype is always a problem because inexplicably Skype requires you to log into your account before you download the software update. This is a hurdle when the Skype user of the house isn't present when you attempt to update the software. Why not just let a user download the patch/update without logging into their Skype account?

2. Mike Flugennock

used to look forward to updates, but...

...nowadays, I positively dread them.

I've been using a Mac for a little over 25 years, and I used to be fairly excited over OS and application updates; my first thought was "cool, let's see what the new features are!" and I could pretty much count on some features I was wishing for to be implemented, and nagging bugs stomped.

All that started to change around the time OS9 rolled out, and updates started doing things like wiping application and OS preferences; also, this was about the time I'd started using the 'Net heavily as part of my work, and OS updates would often wreak havoc on things like TCP/IP and browser settings.

Nowadays, when OS or application updates are announced, my first thought is "oh, Christ, what are they going to break this time?" Starting with OSX "Panther", the first thing I did was to turn off auto-update features in my apps and OS, and manually update my rule sets in LittleSnitch (god bless it) to forbid any Internet connections by Adobe Creative Suite applications and iTunes, and turning off auto-update in Firefox. These days, I update only after poring over The Reg to determine what's being b0rked by OS or applications updates and when, and deciding whether or not to go for it based on that.

One upside to using a Mac -- among others -- is that I haven't yet had to deal with the fake system update pop-ups; still, there's the issue of behind-the-back auto-updates breaking my OS and applicatiions, though I haven't had too many problems with that as I can get the heads-up by reading The Reg regularly .

What especially bugs me about this article is how all the software vendors seem to be collectively scratching their heads and asking "why don't people update when they're prompted?" as if they really, seriously don't know, even though the answers are pretty obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together. I'd long thought updates were often a needless pain in the ass, but I'd never heard them described as "an act of aggression against their users"; still, when I consider what's gone on the past eight or ten years with the behavior of auto-updates, it seems a perfectly reasonable way to describe it. It may not seem that way to software vendors or developers, but from the users' end it really does often look as if they're deliberately trying to fuck our shit up.

3. Piro Silver badge

It's mainly Skype..

It's been getting worse and worse in the UI department, so if you're in a voice call you stare at blackness no matter what.

I've been using Trillian instead for Skype voice calls. Wish it could do Video as well, then I'd never need to even look at the actual Skype client...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ive got your update right here

Bugger paying MS to get back the ability to share my desktop in Skype that they took away.

Also, encryption you can trust (ZRTP) not to have backdoors (Open Source).

Standard communication protocols (SIP, XMPP) to enable easier connections to more applications.

Available for Windows (32 and 64 bit versions), Mac OS X and Linux.

----

https://jitsi.org/

Meet as many people as you want in one single call.

Create conferences over any SIP or XMPP service and add to them anyone you want regardless of what application they are using.

Use all your networks from the same application.

Jitsi lets you connect to Facebook, GoogleTalk, XMPP, Windows Live, Yahoo!, AIM, and ICQ so that you can chat to all your friends in the simplest possible way.

Show your desktop to anyone with a video-capable XMPP or SIP client.

Allow other Jitsi users to interact with your applications regardless of your OS.

Oh ... and did we mention your session can be ZRTP encrypted?

You can download Jitsi and use it regardless of your OS.

Simply download our Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux packages.

With a little bit of extra bravery you can also easily build and run it on FreeBSD.

Secure video calls, conferencing, chat, desktop sharing, file transfer, support for your favorite OS, and IM network.

All this, and more, in Jitsi - the most complete and advanced open source communicator.

Really See your friends with Jitsi and its high quality SIP and XMPP video calls!

Jitsi can encrypt your calls using the innovative ZRTP.

Do you see the padlock? You can safely tell your secrets!

----

And the more people use it, the better it will get.

I’m going to give it a go, consider yourself invited.

https://jitsi.org/index.php/Main/Download

5. Greg D
    Thumb Up

Android & iPhone already manage this nicely

Windows needs to tack on developer/3rd party support on to the 'Programs and Features' control panel to allow a centralised place to update all installed applications. Just like you do with the Android Market, or Apple App Store.

Hell even the new Windows Mobile does this ok. Why not extend to the desktop market!?

1. Charles 9

They're trying.

Thing is, not all the software developers like or want to use the Microsoft Installer system. The end result is that Windows has a harder time tracking those applications. Furthermore, a huge chunk of applications are either pre-MSI or use old versions that only include installation information with no information on how to gracefully update stuff. End result is that updating is a crapshoot. Look at Java. Until very recently, the recommendation was that you manually uninstall your current version before you installed a new one since versions couldn't detect each other and as a result tended to contend.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like