back to article What is the Nokia Secret Plan if Windows 8 isn't Windows gr8?

Nokia’s new chairman says the company has an alternative strategy prepared, in case Microsoft’s new version of Windows Phone doesn’t live up to expectations. Except he won’t say what it is. Risto Siilasmaa made the comments last week to Finnish broadcaster YLE. Analysts have been getting nervous for some time, and Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sue Google?

Isn't that their plan? Claim that Google/ASUS haven't licensed some of their patented technology and then sue them for it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Plans

A: Upgrade to an 808 Pureview when my contract runs out in a few months; or

B: stick with my N8 until it dies on me, or can no longer connect to the services I currently access with it.

I am really not looking forward to finding the ultimate replacement for either of these. Maybe it'll be a featurephone and a decent compact camera.

Elop should join the ignominious ranks of the likes of Osborne and Ratner. It's the least he deserves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My Plans

Unfortunately Symbian phones are the ONLY ones that are capable of proper 2-way call recording (with 3rd party apps even automatically). This is an absolute necessity for me since more and more countries ban cellphone and driving.

There used to be some featurephones like e.g. SE K750i, which could also (manually) record calls but Sony only makes those crappy android phones. Sure, they have bravia this and that but that one feature that they used to have on their normal phones for ages is simply gone. I hate this! All those new phones are only good for surfing the web and that stupid facebook-twitter crap. But as a phone; they sound lousy and lack this one important feature.

So I'll either stick with my current Nokia 701 or "upgrade" to Nokia's last Flagship.

I have no choice :-(

3. Wang N Staines

Plan B

Can't Nokia skin the w7.5 to look like w8?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plan B

1) No. Only MSFT can do that. Remeber WP7/8 is a MSFT OS not a Nokia OS.

2) cosmetic upgrades have been promised by MSFT themselves as WP7.8. So there's no need for "Nokia" to do that. Unfortunatly it's not because it LOOKS like WP8 that it can RUN WP8-apps.

Nokia could however 'skin' Symbian or Meego/harmattan to look like WP7.x (with the legal problems associated) but why would you do that? You go for either Symbian or Harmattan because of their unique look and feel. Besides It's not because you LOOK like WP8 that you can run WP8-apps.

And that's the sore point here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plan B

They're doing that... it's called WP 7.8.

But why would you want 4 columns of Metro tiles on your phone, or even the Metro UI at all?

It's disgusting.

4. Mike Brown
    WTF?

what i dont understand....

....is that if we can all see the issues and problems, why cant the nokia board? They must realise that by burning all thier platforms, and relaying on MS to save there skins is a huge gamble, that looks more and more unlikely to work. Everyone also warned at the time this wouldnt work. SO why are they pressing ahead with this? What do they know that we dont? Have the board got a secret arrangemtn with MS; when MS buy nokia they all get a big fat bonus and kushy MS job? Does Elop have some sort of jedi hold over these people? DO they all have shares in apple/google?

Nokia seem to be trying to fail. And they are doing it spectacularly.

Whats going on?

1. Manu T

Re: what i dont understand....

"Whats going on?"

Ask Scully and Mulder ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

Re: what i dont understand....

*whistles X-Files theme*

5. gurmit
    Alien

do you think it would have been different if he choose Android instead of MS, and kept maemo / meego going. YES i think, i for one would have bought a nokia (like N9) with android. I think elop failed to factor in that a lot of people detest MS, since we've had to put up with their desktop software for too many years. Any chance a consumer can choose something other than Windows, then they will, human nature to like something different. He did the right thing with Symbian, but should not have not made that public (very BAD). Seems to me somone at the helm should know basic common sense like that. He did the right thing with aquiring smarterphone, since s40 was a mess. seems to me that elop is somone who wants success but makes mistakes, he's good and bad if that makes sense. maybe the MS deal was too good to turn down, don't forget MS paid nokia to adopt it. i fear the worst for nokia since people won't move from android or ios, since they've already has their MS experince for past 20 or so years, your flogging a dead horse with that. people are not too fussed by a super dooper camera that makes the phone thicker. its hard to see what a good plan b is now.

6. gaz 7

Relaunch Maemo

Wont happen of course, as Nokia have dumped most of the Devs.

Just switched from Maemo to Android, and Maemo is the better OS in so many ways. yes it has rough edges, but better than Android even ICS.

Other than that Nokia's first step would be to fire the Oaf that is Elop - in any other world he'd be a banker!

7. Guillermo Lo Coco
    Happy

Nokia will have a chance in me only if they make it with Android.

Nokia will have a chance in me only if they make it with Android.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Devil

Re: Nokia will have a chance in me only if they make it with Android.

So would I - I'd buy a Nokia Android handset in a shot, and no doubt enthusiastically praise it to anyone I could. Whereas in reality, the NoWin partnership is what created me.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their alternative strategy...

A bottle of Whiskey and a shotgun.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Meego + ACL is the way to

I have always said (well for a year or two at least) that MeeGo + support for Android apps (whether officially or inofficially supported by Nokia) is the best option for Nokia at this time. And I believe so more than ever. Leaving the Intel partnership was also a mistake at the hardware side, with every indication that Intel's Atom processors will overturn ARM competitors in performance/watt either as soon as at 22nm (2013) or at 14nm (2014). That could have provided Nokia with differentiation at the SoC level.

I do not count among those who think that Android would be a good option for Nokia. But Windows Phone is clearly a disaster.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah nit whats the hardware spec

i find it most telling that all the reply's here have all stressed the look and feel of the OS on all these noka devices NOT One has mentioned that all these devices from a hardware POV are not fit for use in 2012/13 ,

sure you can try and make the case that end users do not care about the hardware inside, only its style and options to get on the net, but that ignores the simple fact that without a reasonable base hardware in these devices there's not much hope to provide modern software updates etc, and today people even if they don't realize it are looking to buy fastest dual and quad ARM cortex devices.

the lesson being you can always try and fudge some kind of software update to provide new options for the users, but if the hardware crap running single core and slow dual cores then your screwed, there's a very basic reason MS have been hammering up the mantra about the original cortex A8/9 ARM devices need to get better hardware for 2 years now since they announced the W8,

the implications being MS meant the current line of Nokia devices now and in the near future coming down the line at the time that will be on sale, ask yourself the question if Nokia provided a range lets say 5 devices for argument of nothing but Cortex "quad core" 1,2 to 1,7 Ghz 1gig to 2gig ram with dual/multi boot MS ARM windows and linux/Android/other Nokia OS then would you look at it and really consider them, can/will the Nokia board and investors see the value of pay now in a better minimum base Quad hardware and base QHD screens etc and make it happen by late 2012/early 2013 at a good price and

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: yeah nit whats the hardware spec

With Symbian and to some extent MeeGo they don't need the latest quad core phones that burn holes in your pocket, they can get the same performance out of slower and cheaper hardware. Of course, if you buy your phone looking at the spec sheet then yes, Nokia's hardware always comes out looking worse, unless it's the camera.

With WP multiple cores are simply unsupported, however needed they may be.

11. sisk

What is the Nokia Secret Plan if Windows 8 isn't Windows gr8?

Easy. Bankruptcy or selling the company. If Windows 8 flops they're going to be out of all other options.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is the Nokia Secret Plan if Windows 8 isn't Windows gr8?

Do a Lenovo, of course! Sell themselves to ZTE or Huawei but under a non-destructive partnership.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: What is the Nokia Secret Plan if Windows 8 isn't Windows gr8?

If You think like an exec, instead of a tech, then obviously plan B is:

Quietly find a buyer.

Once deal is set, announce a "merger".

Board members get pensions/positions in new "merged" company.

Stockholders get stock in new company for Nokia stock and gain a few cents.

After a year, announce retirement of entire Nokia line of products/services/lable.

Redundant execs get golden parachutes, grunts get the door.

Stock in "merged" company (which had been slipping since the merger) gets a boost at the news.

See? A perfectly viable plan that keeps the stockholders happy, and enrichs the current board members!

What about the products you ask? Don't be naivé! This is business, not a factory line!

12. GKLR

Plan B: Firefox?

If Windows 8 is a lemon, or since it is from bloatware central an orchid of lemon trees, maybe Nokia should beg Mozilla to let them run Firefox OS. It would probably run better on more reasonable hardware; it has a developer community (something Nokia has never gotten right) and would probably come at the right price - free.

On the other hand Nokia could go back to selling timber and gum boots.....

13. Tinker Tailor Soldier
    FAIL

SMP and the WinCE kernel

"Plan B is for an interim, Windows Phone Classic (aka 7.99999) to take advantage of multicore processors and (perhaps) higher resolution screens."

Oh Joy, yet another author that doesn't understand that the WinCE kernel can't do SMP and that was the whole point of moving to a shared kernel.

14. Magnus_Pym

Symbian dead?

In case no-one has noticed Nokia is actually Launching a new symbian phone. It looks quite good too.

1. RegReaderInLancs
      Pint

Re: Symbian dead?

The 808 PureView is being released on the Symbian platform simply because WP 7.5 cannot support the imaging technology. WP 8 will, in theory, which means that there should be some WP PureView phones in the future.

I wish Nokia hadn't got rid of the MeeGo dev team as it's a great O/S. A MeeGo/PureView device would be a success, I'm sure.

I've always had a soft spot for Symbian as well. One of my all-time faves is the E7.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real secret Plan B of Nokia, revealed

Sacking Stephen Elop.

Of course, nobody tell this to Mr Elop!

16. Jay 2
    Facepalm

Re-inventing the wheel. Again.

The only way Microsoft and Nokia is going to get out of this is to stick with Windows 8 and whatever hardware platform it comes on, and then try expanding on it. This is opposed to pressing the reset button and almost starting from scratch every other model/year.

Generally (I know there are exceptions) if you buy a newish smartphone nowadays be it iOS or Android then it should run the next OS revision (any if you're lucky maybe the one after that too).

Or to put it another way. Changing the wheels every so often doesn't help the momentum...

1. N13L5

Re: Re-inventing the wheel. Again.

Microsoft has enough cash to keep pressing the reset button, but that will either kill Nokia, or result in Microsoft owning Nokia soonish.

Maybe the latter was the plan anyways.

17. N13L5

Nokia should let us install the OS of our choice without voiding warranty

I can install any OS I want on my PC.

Why do I have to have retards like Elop tell me what OS I must run on my phone?

So Nokia gave up making their own OS.. fine.

Just put all your engineers to making the needed hardware drivers for Meego, Android and Symbian. Put a small MicroSD card with a polished installer in the box, that lets you choose the one you want when you turn it on for the first time.

I think Nokia couldn't create a stronger sales argument than that for themselves. OS agnostic, freedom to run what each user feels comfortable with. Make source code available, the whole world will improve your phones at no cost to you, Nokia. Be the anti control freak company, just solve people's problems and sell phones. You'll have a following of people who love you, that will grow until you too can go into content selling.

18. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Think I might have spotted the Plan B..

Went past Nokia's office in Peltola (district of Oulu) a week or so ago. It used to be a home to both Nokia and NSN.

Noticed the NSN sign had gone from the side of the building (they've relocated into one site in Oulu - well, two adjacent, actually)

Stagger me, huge poster replacing it, featuring the N9....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like