back to article So, that vast IT disaster you may have caused? Come in, sit down

I have a little sideline in interrogating IT professionals who are suspected of doing bad things. Sometimes it is quite hard to objectively tell the difference between incompetence and malice. In fact it is rare that either are the root cause of the worst screw-ups. The most dangerous techie in your firm is not the disaffected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. David Given
    Thumb Up

The MAIB

If you want to see this sort of thing done well, go read on of the Marine Accident Investigation Board's accident reports (http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm). The primary goal of these --- which is printed in large letters at the top of every report --- is to determine what happened and how to stop it happening again. Also --- and again, this is printed in large letters --- the reports are inadmissible as evidence in any judicial proceeding that's attempting to apportion blame.

The reports themselves are a miracle of brevity and clarity, stating clearly and simply what happened, what went wrong, and what needs fixing. They're also not shy about pointing out the mistakes people make, but the point is always that people always make mistakes, and the system needs to be designed to cope.

I recommend them to anybody who wants to see how an accident report should read. (I gather it's possible to subscribe to a tiny four-page flyer containing summaries of the accident reports; I've seen them, and they're fascinating reading, but have been unable to find this on their website.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The MAIB

ditto RAIB, AAIB

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. zeph(1ro)
    Devil

nice free advertising buddy

did they even paid u from TheReg? Or did u paid them? :)

next time I look for more consultancy hours, I know how to handle my marketing...

p.s. I usually get involved just a minute before the shit hits the fan... to try to save the situation

...before the company gets to the point to call in a blame/fingerpointing guy like you (thing that usually doesn't happen)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nice free advertising buddy

"I usually get involved just a minute before the shit hits the fan... to try to save the situation"

...your name Clark Kent by any chance?

3. HisNibbs

If you're good at lying you're FANTASTIC at everything else.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Normally the actual cause is not the person in the room.

Please Can We Have (PCWH) a test & QA system? - No Too Expensive (NTE),JFDI

PCWH Version control - Why waste time with that JFDI

PCWH have some training - NTE, JFDI

PCWH some budget for resilience - NTE, JFDI

PCWH a process to manage changes - NTE, no way you want us to specify what we want before you implement it? what do we pay you for?, JFDI

etc.

Oh yes we allowed them to interfere with your systems without telling you, after all they are corporate - why is it broken what did YOU do?

Oh we changed our minds, can you guess what we want and do it for tomorrow?

Oh that's not what we wanted, I know you wrote loads of specifications but we didn't read them we want something different - that one really gets me.

Now the times when I have convinced them that we need to do it properly all goes well. today for instance our SAN had a module replaced but the users never knew. four years of five 9's and counting!

1. Vic

Re: Normally the actual cause is not the person in the room.

> PCWH Version control - Why waste time with that JFDI

That one, at least, is easy to fix. You do JFDI. Installing Git or similar takes no time flat.

Some time later, the need for VCS becomes apparent, and much fretting occurs. That's the time to mention in passing that you might be able to ressurect some data from some random copies you made earlier. It'll take a few hours :-)

Vic.

5. Blitheringeejit

City headhunter ..?

Yo Dominic, my man! Any generously-bonussed shit-will-never-be-my-fault-if-it-goes-wrong too-well-paid-to-fail jobs going?

Or does "headhunter" on this occasion mean you have the contract to hunt down the RBS wrongdoers and display their heads on spikes on the roof of Canary Wharf, pour encourager les autres?

I can dream ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: City headhunter ..?

Barclays were looking for someone for that kind of position but the job description just changed, things will still never be your fault but if they go really really bad and you're found out you'll be asked to leave, nicely mind you, and you'll still get a generous leaving package.

6. perlcat
    Facepalm

Seems like they used to only come out at night

Now, all's it takes is a discussion of politics to make the terminal fuckwits come out and illuminate us with their wisdom, all comfortable behind the pseudo-anonymity of their Fawkes masks.

Nothing draws them as well as something they have no way of understanding, and politics is definitely one of those things.

Nice article, Dominic.

My advice is to find an intelligent manager that understands politics, and be direct and honest with them, and stick with them wherever they go. They know how to handle the inevitable screw-ups, as long as you don't EVER leave them hanging by being dishonest. In this case, the company almost never needs Dominic's help. I know enough about tech to know I am out of my depth and need to assemble more knowledgeable resources -- and it is no different when it comes to politics.

1. Volvic
      Thumb Down

comfortable behind the pseudo-anonymity of their Fawkes masks...

...as opposed to the lack of pseudo-anonymity that comes from using a name like "perlcat"?

What difference does it make if people are using AC, there's valid points being made here.

If a company uses this interrogation approach then all it will result in is

a) more and more lying after incidents because everybody's terrified they'll get fired for trying to do the right thing but cocking it up;

b) a culture of constant blame shift in a desperate attempt not to have a consultant finger one of your team, and

c) Dominic's pockets getting fatter and fatter.

I'm a major incident & problem manager and in our root cause reviews I don't give a shit which individual caused the incident, I just want to know what is being done by the relevant supplier/operational team/etc to ensure that a similar incident doesn't occur again. Whether that's tightening access rights, training, documentation, or whatever else. Blaming one person and shitting up the entire IT staff while you're working out who to blame doesn't help anybody. Except Dom obviously.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: comfortable behind the pseudo-anonymity of their Fawkes masks...

"I'm a major incident & problem manager and in our root cause reviews I don't give a shit which individual caused the incident"

*You* will not give a shit. Nobody should give a shit whose "fault" is was.

Unfortunately, and in spite of all your best intentions and any big red disclaimers you may put on your reports, somebody (often someone with a nagging sense of inadequacy) will end up using your finding to blame somebody.

7. Paul Smith
    Happy

re: nice free advertising buddy

"I usually get involved just a minute before the shit hits the fan..."

Oddly enough, I try not to get involved until after a problem has been found.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. sugerbear

Cockups happen

I have made plenty of cockups in my career, luckily none of them happened in an operating environement. Doing stupid stuff like DELETE * FROM CUSTOMER_DB ; WHERE CUSTOMER_ID = 5 ; (see the misplaced semi-quote, you just deleted the whole database) are much less likely to happen when you have two people, one to check the work and one to signoff. Errors get picked up BEFORE they impact the live environement, that is why you have senior developers and change management. They are there to gate keep the idiots under them.

Problems can occur for any number of reasons, but not checking what people do (ie slashing resources ) and given them root access to your o/s or god privilages on your database seems like the perfect way to end up in sticky position. Often the root cause isn't disaffection, malicious behaviour, its just fat fingers and the right (or wrong) user privilages.

I have only ever once come across one deliberate attempt at sabotage when a developer tried to add a timebomb into some code. No idea why he did it (I think his contract was coming to an end and no renewal possibly) because it was picked up when someone QA'd his code. I have also heard of code being altered to adding malicious code to extract card numbers, again picked up in QA. If you dont have checks and controls you will eventually come unstuck.

If you get to the stage where you have to call someone to interview you have already failed as a manager and deserve to be put out to pasture to find your next "opportunity".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cockups happen

>Errors get picked up BEFORE they impact the live environement, that is why you have senior developers and change management.

Half bollocks. Senior developers can reduce but not eliminate the risk of errors, that's where you're half right. They may well pick up syntax errors like the example you gave but at teh time of execution that won't stop someone with fat fingers entering the command as you wrote it and not double checking before they hit return.

Change management do not understand technicalities, their job is mainly to schedule changes to make sure all those involved will have someone available or on call when a change is made and to tick off boxes. They don't have a cat in hells chance of understaning your rollback procedure, all they see is that you've filled in the required section and they tick off the box.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>> Change management do not understand technicalities, their job is mainly to schedule changes to make sure all those involved will have someone available or on call when a change is made and to tick off boxes. They don't have a cat in hells chance of understaning your rollback procedure, all they see is that you've filled in the required section and they tick off the box.

Change management are not there to tick off the boxes. They are there to ensure (to the best of the abilities) that everyone who need to know about a change is aware of it and that everyone who needs to approve a change (tick a box) has ticked the box.

Change Managers won't understand your roll back procedure, but they should understand that Business Continuity need to sign off your roll back procedure - Business Continuity sure as hell should understand your roll back procedure. Likewise, Operations, who will likely be doing the back out, should fully aware of the back out procedure and understand it before accepting the change. Testing should be satisfied with the testing before accepting the change.

If RBS had followed a proper change management procedure, then there would have needed to be multiple failures/points of blame involved. Is suspect that there was no Change Management involvement in the RBS issue. My best guess is that someone who doesn't understand or value change management (probably outsourced/offshored) thought that seeing as they could do it all within Operations, there was no need to follow the change management process. After all why waste a week or more following the change management process when you can just do it now?

* NB: worked as a Change Coordinator (many moons ago), interfacing between Change Management and off-shore developers and DBA's who never seemed to understand why they couldn't just make changes on live productions systems willy-nilly - thank God our Operations, BC and Testing staff were still in-house.

2. Tom 38

@Chris_W

Sounds like you've never done proper change management. A change like running "DELETE * FROM CUSTOMER_TABLE WHERE CUSTOMER_ID = 5;" under a proper change management procedure isn't tapped in by some developer on the DB console.

Instead, it is a change - a data migration. Someone writes a small module to effect that change, the module is tested against sample data, verified to be correct by both tests and code inspection, verified on a replica of the production system and then finally performed on the real data.

This doesn't necessarily stop all errors; the automated tests could be inadequate, this could be missed by code inspection, and a bad change is deployed. However, it does eliminate "fat finger syndrome".

Obviously, all of this is a lot more work than just tapping away at a console. Depending upon your project and requirements, you may want changes to happen more easily than that (your bosses would call this being "agile", I know, the irony), but then you have to accept that more syntax and semantic errors will reach your production code base.

2. Jabber 44
      Pint

I love buddy checking - but it all breaks down when you and your buddy trust one another and are too loaded to really check, but think - Hey thats Joe's change, that will be fine !

10. skipper

Techys can't tell you the whole story...

In a previous role I used to have to conduct "Post Mortem's" after significant outages and major incidents. Normally I'd spend a hour or so asking everybody what they did when in order to build up a basic timeline, then I'd line up the teas and go trawling through logs to find out what really went on.

The two would never match up.

Even if an engineer's actions were good and correct, they're recollection would be imperfect and there's always a tenancy to want to put yourself in the best light, and when filling in the gaps of memory the tale becomes skewed.

Most problems were caused by honest mistakes made with the best intentions, it was rare for problems to be caused by recklessness or full-on malice. Disgruntled employees who could do such things, can rarely be bothered to put the effort in to either try do things wrong or right.

1. umacf24
      Big Brother

Re: Techys can't tell you the whole story...

+1 for the value of the logs. I would do +10 if I could.

There is nothing like a log. Nothing in the world. Of course you have to really understand them -- it's easy to make accusations on the basis of a superficial understanding of the event meanings. I did that once, and the culprit apparently confessed to what he was suspected of -- even though, as I later came to understand, the evidence was worthless. I told my boss when I realised and she laughed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ skipper

Who is Mortem and which of his belongings would you like me to send in the mail?

11. Pat Volk
    Windows

Behavoral analysis

You can learn a lot in an operational environment, just by observing. Especially in an informal environment, you can get people talking, and gently steering the conversation you get the information you need. Programmers have favored methodologies, and bad ones will use that for everything. You have the managers who work with their staff, and those who consider it a good day where they don't make a decision, or make a decision which is outside their realm (mgmt - strategy, staff - tactics).

You find gaps between people. You find out the users are doing unexpected things. You find a platform stretched enough to where race conditions happen. Woe become you if you tick off a test procedure, and someone else can demonstrate it.

You find out enough about the what happened, and why, blame matters less. A nice valid chain of events leading to failure is very tough to refute, and generally spreads the blame out. As an engineer you want to know those so you don't repeat it. A good saying is there's a name for people too smart to learn anything.... dumb.

12. Jess--

Honesty Best Policy

I have lost count of the amount of times I have written emails along the lines of...

X was my fault, this is what the mistake was, this is what was affected by the problem and this is what I have done to correct the problem. ongoing issues from this may be Y

I have never lost a client due to an error and believe me in 18 years in IT there have been some huge ones (errors and clients)

13. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

Union reps and other points

@Oninoshiko, if you ask for a recording then that is fine, I am against covert or enforced recording.

I have no problem with a union rep, indeed although I don't like UK unions I regard access to one as a basic human right. But that's irrelevant, if you ask for a union rep and you don't get one then the employer's legal position is undermined, and so you should get one.

Whether it is in your interests in a tricky question that depends on what sort of rep and the situaiton.

The moment you ask for a rep or a lawyer then in some managers eyes you have admitted that you did bad. That's not fair, sadly almost none of my work is in the land of "fair" though I hear the weather is better there.

If you're going for a defence of bullying or discrimination then it might help, but that is a serious escalation.

Getting a lawyer would be really very hard for the average ITPro. Firstly they ain't cheap and unless you regularly get involved in screwups you probably won't know a good one, or even be able to accurately judge their competence. Recently I helped someone get a lawyer for a big issue in their life that I knew to be good for the specific task, quote came in at £ 1-3K

As for the anonymous coward who compared me to a faded film actor, that hurt, however when I dined in the Savoy last week I had no problem getting a table and if you will take my recommendation the pork was excellent. I guess that promotes me from faded 80s actor to faded 90s ?

1. Radbruch1929
      Big Brother

Re: Union reps and other points

Dominic,

> The moment you ask for a rep or a lawyer then in some managers eyes you have admitted that you

> did bad. That's not fair, sadly almost none of my work is in the land of "fair" though I hear the weather

> is better there.

... which for me would be exactly the reason to "lawyer up". If there is no "fair", it can not be a major escalation from IT's side, especially since the firm itself already uses outside help. So I am potentially going to lose a job with a lawyer or more without one.

And for getting a "good lawyer" for the IT pro: Assessing the lawyer may go along the same lines as your job. If I tell him what happened, he understands what is going on and finds a strategy that is not purely based on lies and denial, then he is certainly better than me at avoiding mistakes (also because he is less stressed out than I am certainly going to be). And the company carries additional risk, namely that the lawyer is good and finds fault in the process.

So sorry, no compelling arguments to not get someone to help myself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So sorry, no compelling arguments to not get someone to help myself."

Would I be correct in surmising that you have not found yourself at the pointy end of a corporate sword yet?

Two thoughts:

1. Unions play politics too, and they may decide to sacrifice you "for the larger good".

2. If you get a lawyer, the company will get a better one.

Not saying you shouldn't do any of the above, but you'll have to weight your risks and benefits carefully. Very rarely it is a good idea to get confrontational from the very start, especially against a larger opponent.

1. Radbruch1929

I agree with your assessment that it is not a good idea to get confrontational from the very start. We differ on assumptions though: I understand the situation Dominic describes not as the start (when hopefully correcting the error is first priority) but rather as the "end" where blame is assigned.

So yes, I agree with your points but the way I understand Dominic, this is a preparatory stage for an eventual confrontation. He is going to trap you in lies. This is disguised by an outside location, lack of managers, tea and biscuits and his politeness. But you have already been singled out and Dominic described several reasons why this may be wrong as in the lack of a CVS etc. Hopefully outside help does realize eventual flaws in this selection process. I am not sure I would.

And yes, I have not seen the pointy end myself (yet) but I have seen this situation. It put enormous stress on people. I do not think that I am going to make very good decisions in that situation and outside help should (again: hopefully) prevent me at least from making the worse mistakes (as in telling lies, not spotting obvious defences etc.).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Taking legal advice about an issue as serious as your continued employment is a matter of competence. If you are not earning then mortgages, school fees etc don't get paid. If you resign under a cloud you will struggle to be re-employed and for an added kick in the teeth forfeit any income protectection insurance that you have in place.

Dominic's examples are unusual in that he is talking one on one. More often there will be a technology group manager, business manager and an HR rep trying to browbeat you into accepting a decision which was made before the meeting. You will be made to feel in the wrong, that you are holding back your colleagues and that it would be best for everyone if you quit without making a fuss. Having an external ally in any such meeting will massively reduce this peer pressure.

Finding an employment lawyer is not diffcult (Yellow Pages if nowhere else!) and you might have legal cover bundled with your household insurance.

All this will not guarantee your continued employment but at minimum you will walk away knowing that you didn't just roll over.

14. Christian Berger

What kind of job is that?

Forensic IT Interviews can only give you facts and evidence. In a modern business environment that's something very unpopular. Lack of facts gives you freedom to do whatever you think is right, unconstrained by empiricism. If a manager would have to act by facts and logic he could be replaced by a computer, or the next best person. He'd simply have to choose the best solution. The more facts a manager has, the less important he is.

The only reason I can imagine a company paying for that is to create the appearance of something being done. In that case the result is utterly unimportant.

15. MissingSecurity

I prefer...

..being the guy that comes in after the cock up. My politics are better when I can describe, solve, and lessen the wrath on the poor soul who made the screw up.

16. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

You techies

have it easy

Oh dear I've just deleted the entire customer database, the boss is going apeshit, the headhunter has been called in to take heads... oops conduct in depth interviews to get to the bottom of the missing semi colon and fire the person responsible.

In my line of metal bashing, oops we've missed a crack in a hydraulic coupling casting and there's 1000PSI oil going everywhere and the aircraft's rudder is stuck pointing 5 degrees to the left, not a good thing at 24 000 feet, or in setting up a new robot cell, we miss out verifying the door interlock switch in the PLC, some poor fool opens it while the cell is running and gets grabbed by the robot and stuffed into a machine tool.

Then the brown smelly stuff really hits the fan.

Along with the guilt of "did I f*** up and kill someone"

1. Petrea Mitchell
      Thumb Down

Re: (Some of) You techies

Not to worry, some of us work with systems that can produce similar results. Admittedly, the one I'm paid to work on can't kill anyone directly, but the right kind of bug in it could be a major contributing factor to a fatal incident.

Picturing myself on the receiving end of a fact-finding interview from someone like Mr. Connor, having to explain my actions in detail, makes an excellent counterbalance to the temptation to give in to the JFDI mentality and take shortcuts.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Not to worry, some of us work with systems that can produce similar results"

Not to start a pissing contest or anything like that, but one major difference, assuming that the guy above is a licensed aircraft engineer, is that if a developer fucks up badly enough, he will lose his job and will have to find another one elsewhere, whereas if an aircraft engineer fucks up badly enough, he will lose his license and therefore, his livelihood.

Likewise, both are liable to get people killed, but the engineer is much more likely to end up in prison for it.

For the reasons above I have immense respect for these guys.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

The flip-side of this is that the management in the aircraft case realise their staff are dealing with serious stuff whereas I'm not sure IT management are. From the article:

"One thing that non-IT types find hard to grasp is that the scale of the consequences and the cause don’t correlate at all - although RBS management probably gets that idea now."

I very much doubt it. Facts are scarce but from the outside it does look like a slightly larger screw-up by RBS's IT could have tanked the bank. Bankers probably realise (though Lehmans, and Barings before them, failed to protect themselves, even so) that traders can destroy the whole company in an afternoon. Trader working conditions (supervision, pay packets, etc) reflect that. I see no evidence that IT staff are treated the same way.

And if a bank goes tits-up, taking a hundred billion of your favourite currency unit with it, who's to say that there aren't deaths and similar consequences down the line. We just don't know for certain which deaths to attribute to the loss. Society is awfully exposed to the banking system.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another great article

I wonder if I'd enjoy these pieces as much if I wasn't retired.

Mind you, I wish I'd had Dominic around when my "retirement" was taking place...

18. Beelzeebub
    Flame

As I have said many times...

Tata to your English jobs...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tata

Yes, I'm sure the Indian car manufacturer will be of great use here.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lies can be unfounded assumptions

I find the greatest hinderance to getting the truth is often an inability to involve the correct indiviuals in a proper evaluation. In some ways the article reassures in that it states that "binary" answers are not provided. However, I have concerns that an individual is engaged in this activity. When things get to the point described in this article then checks and balances are absolutely required. On a number of occasions in the past I have been asked to explains actions that I have not taken. Why ? Well because an individual with an inflated opinion of his own knowledge and interlect has made a critical assumption early in the analysis and then proceeded to complete the story on that basis. In all cases I have told the involved management that I would not accept any mopre instances when that individual was involved in any review without my participation.

20. Cameron Colley

Am I missing something?

My impression from the article was this is about determining whether it is likely to be accident or malice?

I realise the two are hard to separate but, as others have alluded to, things like having somebody else check your work mean you're less likely to the the guy who accidentally removed a disk from the RAID5, went to fix it and hot-swapped the wrong drive, rebuilt it, then tried to restore from a tape you accidentally kept appending to for ten years and have been storing next to a speaker.*

If Dominic Connor's job is merely to "find who is to blame" then it is, indeed, a very sad reflection of corporate culture and a chilling reminder that IT staff are not the ones who get golden parachutes. However, if he's called in to give some indication as to whether an individual responsible for a chain of cock-ups is unlucky, an incompetent liar or bent on destruction I'd say there's less to fear and more articles like this are needed.

*yes, I know, data centres aren't like that.

21. sabba
    Big Brother

Interesting article but...

...I question the validity of the approach.

1. If the person in question is incompetent to that extent then it's his management's fault for having left him in place to do the damage in the first place

2. If he's malicious then, again, I'd question what was going on in the workplace; there should always be checks and controls in place in any organisation (including monitoring motivation levels in your staff)

3. If it's a mistake then initiating a blame-game process won't help as the only winner will be he who covers his tracks best. Better to find out what happened, why and how it can be prevented in future.

If I did want to perform a forensic analysis to dig up some real malicious / incompetent behaviour then I am not sure that a HR consultant / recruitment agent (sorry, head-hunter) would be my first port of call regardless of their apparent self-believe / abilities. I'd probably start with an investigation's agency along with a forensic examination of any machines / logs. By the time Mr HR has had his chat there's time for all the evidence to have been removed.

Nice piece of self-promotion here though. Hope it works out well for you.

Just my two pence worth.

22. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

Yet more replies from Dominic

@Adamwill: Unions *were* a good thing, where we part company is that they are all that useful today given their tendency to follow agendas that workers either don't support or dislike.

As for the point about outsiders coming in to mess with staff being stopped by unions, the reverse is observed to be true. If you look at the public sector, much of which in unionised consultants crawl all over that assessing staff and "improving" their work practices.

Also they do play politics, one guy I used to work for was terminated because a union rep became his manager and they'd fallen out because of a strike.

The word "blame" is tossed around in this discussion a lot and references made to the more formal processes found in engineering. This part of my work exists because most IT groups have no such process, they get me instead. It follows that sometimes I have to work out whether the thing that happened was bad at all, one report I wrote basically said "I can see why this scared you shitless but actually nothing much really happened and it is gone now".

Backup tapes do fail, I recall reading various stats about how often backups can't be restored, and numbers vary from 10 to 50%. The vast majority of s/w bugs are stupid, not just mine either.

One issue in some code written by IBM was where someone had taken an error code, coerced it to a memory address and copied data into it. I will admit here and in public that I've called the wrong function by mistake. That's the nature of IT.

A big difference between safety-critical systems and corporate IT is navigation around black boxes.

Our daily work consists of dealing with large lumps that every so often fail to do what we expect and give diagnostics of the form "Operation failed". Which is less than useful and isn't predictable and where the vendor will flatly refuse to tell you why.

I have read the RBS is suing CA, someone like me is going to make some money out of just this sort of situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet more replies from Dominic

>I have read the RBS is suing CA, someone like me is going to make some money out of just this sort of situation.

That should be good. Surely the CA end user agreement will have the usual this software is crap clause. If it doesn't do what we say it does or you lose money by using it then tough shit, you can alway pay us more to correct the errors and introduce some new ones so we can repeat this process at a later date.

And as to who is going to make some money out of it, you shouldn't need to ask, as always the lawyers.

23. jon 72
    Devil

Out of curiosity...

have there been incidents where the techies being grilled were not to blame?

1. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

Re: Out of curiosity...have there been incidents where the techies being grilled were not to blame?

@Jon72 : Yes, of course, I hope you will forgive the blatant absence of specifics in my replies but for instance:

In one system, it was claimed that specific person had made a change that caused a major issue. I was able to demonstrate that the change itself had never been made. In this case I was able to demonstrate that a change had been made to the s/w that talked to it, causing the failure. This change itself was rational, being something the vendor itself recommended. No one was to blame, just random IT shit and when run on a system without the patch the problem simple disappeared.

In another, it was said that the developer had done something bad. Code reviews are tricky in this context, however I realised after staring at it for a while that the code wasn't big enough to be what they said it was, it would require more lines of code to do that particular bad thing.

A third was a guy was deemed to have hacked into the system, normally that would be forensic IT not me, however I realised that the stuff he was supposed to have accessed wasn't on the hacked system.

Even with all technical detail expunged you can see that these were unarguable proof and I'd stick my name out that in general I'd expect to more easily find clear proof that the behaviour was reasonable than proof it was bad. That also goes to the sort of work that bounces my way, because if someone has very clearly done something bad then the firm don't need me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Out of curiosity...

Frequently.

Just a few weeks ago, I had to remedy the initial effects of a spam relay attack, then coordinate efforts to prevent it happening again. I also had to prepare the incident report of what happened, how it was resolved, how it was handled and what could have prevented it.

I also got a major grilling on that report from my bosses and our liaison at the customer. It was pointed out that we'd raised this very issue as a weakness for the latest a few months before.

It may not sound much, or as important as RBS, but when it involves a global firm with a market cap of $3bn, & 20K+ users worldwide, potentially having all outbound mail blocked by their external perimeter mail host, it can be very bad for that customer and us.

AC to prevent identification of the client and my employers.

24. Joeman
    Holmes

So, the Secret is...

When being pressured by the boss to get something done quickly, ensure you are on CCTV when you hand him the keyboard, and tell him to have a go.

Then leave the room, make a telephone call, under another CCTV camera, and when you get back your boss will be responsible for EVERYTHING!!!

All's fair in Code and War...

1. Wensleydale Cheese
      Stop

Re: So, the Secret is...

@Joeman

"When being pressured by the boss to get something done quickly, ensure you are on CCTV when you hand him the keyboard, and tell him to have a go."

Aaargh no!

You've brought back bad memories of a company secretary who would wander in while I was running weekly payroll and do something out of sequence.

He always disappeared sharpish once he realised what he'd done, leaving me to clear up the mess.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@joeman, if alls fair in love in war

then your manager (who has access to his manager and whom you don't have access to) is quite within his rights to say that he does not have confidence in your ability the next time a prime assignment comes up. He has not lied, he has just inferred there is a short-coming in your skillset (personal or professional). 2 or 3 of these inferrnces and you get a bad reputation without even knowing its happening.

Access is power, unless yours is better than his, you will nearly always come off second best.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.