back to article Google unveils Nexus 7 tablet, Android 4.1 and Nexus Q

Google has used its annual developer conference, Google I/0 2012 in San Francisco, to announce its long-expected tablet, the Nexus 7, along with a new 4.1 build of Android (codenamed Jelly Bean) and a hackable home streaming Android computer called the Nexus Q that is shaped like a ball. Built by Asus, the Nexus 7 packs a quad …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. M Gale

Just FYI

Rather than relying on the BBC, it can be better to get your information direct.

That way you get to see that 4.x use is steadily increasing, though yes, developing your apps for 2.x is probably the way to go at present.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Just FYI

M Gale,

Thanks for the link.

As you say, use of 4.x is steadily increasing, but not very quickly. That graph seems to confirm what I've thought for a while. Android gets updates very very slowly, if at all. It's almost not worth developing for the new version for 6 months to a year after it comes out. Of course, that's probably not true, as I expect early adopters spend more on apps. But I think Google really need to do something about that.

1. Euchrid
    Headmaster

The hardware employs workers?

"The not-so-subtle dig at Apple's outsourcing went down well with developers, some of who are happy to spend more for hardware that employs American workers."

It's companies that employ workers, not hardware (unless we should be hailing our new robotic overlords), so that sentence really needs to be fixed.

2. Slabfondler
    FAIL

Still no fix for Audio? WTF!?!

For quite some time now, people have been complaining about the lack of decent audio latency in Android, people who might want to hack together some musical application for instance. According to this: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4971761 - they have still not addressed the audio latency issues. for shame Google for shame! When and if I buy a tablet (or my next smartphone) it won't be one with audio latency issues.

1. Anomynous Coward

Re: Still no fix for Audio? WTF!?!

You pick the username Slabfondler but you have not yet bought a tablet of any kind?

3. the-it-slayer
    Happy

Loves fandroids squabbling :)

Oh look at that, fandroids trying to justify an expensive under-powered/under-spec'd device and get naff all direct support for it. Keep squabbling guys, might keep you out of the Apple articles for a change. 7" tablets are still too useless for anything IMHO.

These sorts of devices will appear dusty in cupboards/draws abandoned across the country in a years time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Loves fandroids squabbling :)

Took long enough for an Apple troll to show up...

Under-powered/under-spec'd? You mean the processor and GPU that are faster and have more cores than your beloved iPad?

Expensive? 1/3 the cost of the iPad?

Sorry, trolling attempt fails. Score: 2 out of a possible 10 for trying.

1. the-it-slayer
        Facepalm

Re: Loves fandroids squabbling :)

"Under-powered/under-spec'd? You mean the processor and GPU that are faster and have more cores than your beloved iPad?" - It's not always the top numbers that get the best results. anyway, tegra 3 is based off the same iPad 3 CPU anyway. the only major difference is the GPU. again, better spec's dont always give you a better experience. jelly bean will be as a good as it's been developed. i'm sure to have a play with it somewhere and be disappointed again.

"Expensive? 1/3 the cost of the iPad?" - For what the Nexus 7 has, there's nothing on there to justify that price.

Sorry, but this is another sideway step for 7" tablets. And keep squabbling :).

4. ShadowCopy
    Paris Hilton

This may be total guff, but.....

.....is the lack of an SD card in "Google Controlled" hardware devices (i.e. Nexus range) due to the fact they don't want to supply a device that utilises FAT storage?

With the Apple/Samsung row it probably makes sense to be cautious when it comes to using other companies technology to avoid further patent battles.

5. Maxson

No Card slot?

Bit dissapointed about the lack of card slot, my phone has a £13 class 6 32GB Micro SDHC card in it, I'm not about to spend about £40 to bring the tablet to half of that so I'll probably give this a miss as I don't /need/ a tablet.

It's dangerously close to impulse purchase but a tablet doesn't do anything I really need and I'm a stickler for storage space.

6. ShadowCopy
    Thumb Up

Retail Stores

Looks like the 16GB will be sold in Currys, PC World, Tesco, Carphone Whorehouse etc

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-uk-availability/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Becoming a Gargoyle

In true Snow Crash fashion, one step at a time..

8. Al Jones

Pre-order on Google Play

If this tablet does get widespread takeup, it will also begin to change one other aspect of the Android "ecosystem". A lot of Android users don't buy apps, because they don't have any form of payment registered with their Google Play account. If you have to register a card with Google Play just to order the Nexus 7, and you get $25 worth of "credit" in your Google Play account, then a lot of Android users might get in the habit of buying apps, rather than using the free "ad supported" apps (and some of the ads are getting a lot more aggressive and annoying than they were at first).

In the long term, that might be a far more important aspect of the Nexus 7 release than anything else.

9. Jonathan White
    FAIL

'The not-so-subtle dig at Apple's outsourcing went down well with developers, some of who are happy to spend more for hardware that employs American workers.'

So the least useful most half arsed product Google have ever put their name on is made domestically but all the ones people are actually likely to hand money over for are, without exception, made in the far east and the people at Google I/O lapped the whole 'made in the US' shpiel up? I thought these guys were supposed to be the smart ones?

10. Super Fast Jellyfish

Missing components

I'm really missing an infra-red output: something like this would be brilliant as an all-in one remote and since it only has micro-usb output I can't even attach a dongle to it. Ho-hum, I'll keep looking.

I'd agree the inclusion of an SD slot would have been useful - even if only to download pictures off my camera.

I'm not missing the rear camera (or likely to use the front facing one) - but I suppose it might have been useful for QR codes?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like