back to article Linus Torvalds drops F-bomb on NVIDIA

Linus Torvalds has exhorted GPU-maker NVIDIA to indulge in sexual intercourse with itself, and angrily raised his middle finger to the company to re-enforce the suggestion. Torvalds' “remarks” were made last week during a live interview at Finland's Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship. After the interview, Torvalds took …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Generic pedantic reply...

Err... most of this devices don't require GPU support, or even a GPU. Not every Android device has an nVidia CPU or GPU and the ones that do are mobile class and the relevant support is provided (because mobiles have bigger userbase and are profitable).

nVidia shouldn't have to add support just because the minority asks for it. When and if Linux is dominant on the desktop, then nVidia will listen, until there is profit, why should it? It's up to Linux users to build market share on the merits of the user applciations available on Linux, which in turn can drive hardware development, just as it happened on Windows. On Windows, it is video gaming that pushes GPU support. Perhaps Linux developers should try and create Linux only games with the same production quality of DirectX games to grab share from the Windows (and Apple) consumer market. If you think about it, Android is doing that already, but it'll be small steps and at the same time Microsoft will continue to increase its lead.

1. Ben Tasker

I don't entirely disagree with you, but

It's up to Linux users to build market share on the merits of the user applciations available on Linux, which in turn can drive hardware development, just as it happened on Windows

I'm not sure you can count "everyone uses it because it comes pre-installed and no-one can be arsed to install over it" as "building market share on the merits of the....".

Perhaps Linux developers should try and create Linux only games with the same production quality of DirectX games to grab share from the Windows (and Apple) consumer market.

There are some bloody good games that have been written (obviously it depends on taste), but OSS developers don't really have the budget that the big studios have. Of course, there's also the 'issue' that a lot will be ported to Windows anyway at some point in time.

To be honest I'm quite happy with the likes of supertux etc, but then I've always preferred to while the hours away buried in code than gaming. I did get mildly addicted to BZFlag a while back though, and a number of the OSS FPS' are quite good.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So let's summarise the consequences. In my personal experience:

*Android phone - full of massive security issues

*Smartish TV - OK, though not exactly a glorious user experience

*TiVo / PVR / satellite STB - loads of them are prone to software faults (even one running VxWorks)

*WiFi printers - mine abjectly refused to WiFi

*ADSL routers, etc - never seen one yet that doesn't keep falling over

*3G modem - got one that works, but it took several purchases to find it.

So yes Linux is everywhere, but that's not resulting in terrific reliability for the end user. 'Linux Inside' really doesn't mean it's actually going to be any good. Practically speaking there's very little an ordinary end user can do about it anyway; Joe Blogs isn't going to get the source code, fix it, recompile and re-flash. So the 'openness' is just a cost saving for the manufacturer, not a benefit to the end user.

1. Latent

"So yes Linux is everywhere, but that's not resulting in terrific reliability for the end user. 'Linux Inside' really doesn't mean it's actually going to be any good. Practically speaking there's very little an ordinary end user can do about it anyway; Joe Blogs isn't going to get the source code, fix it, recompile and re-flash. So the 'openness' is just a cost saving for the manufacturer, not a benefit to the end user."

someone here points out that while Linux is in many of their electronic devices most of them are not reliable and crash often etc. Also pointing out that average users are not going to fix the open source software.

But this I think highlights a key point here. Most of these problems are not caused by Linux and its open source code. Most of the problems are caused by the hardware drivers themselves. Most of the main bugs in the core linux code will have been fixed already. But most of the devices end up using closed source parts for the hardware and when they or the integration of them goes wrong then its not great.

When people try to roll their own software for these devices to improve or fix issues they are left with an uphill battle to get the source and when they do get it all these hardware bits are missing and they have to beg, steal and borrow to get it to work which causes even more issues.

Also one of the big reasons for the issues around Android and non existent or late OS updates which keeps them insecure is the manufacturers need to differentiate and tinker. If the phone makers just did solid abstractions of their chosen hardware and gave us phones that had all of androids features then it would be much easier to support newer versions. Instead they spend most of their time trying to make their phone different at the expense of everything else. It would be great if the phone maker stopped at the hardware driver level and then users are free to pick which standard set of launcher/theme/apps they want and are free to upgrade it when needed.

So is it really the Open source model that is the problem or the lack of open source in open source?

3. tkioz
        FAIL

To all the numnuts talking about routers, smart phones, etc... I was talking about Linux as an OS on a desktop... You know the place where most video card drivers are needed and have the most issues...

4. anoncow
        Linux

* A GPS device

* A supercomputing cluster

* An electronic trading company

* A stock exchange

* An ISP

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you don't want to use Linux

You'll have to get rid of you broadband router. And that's just the start. Next will be any NAS and most media centre boxes and controllable webcams. Then you'll have to get rid of that smart TV and replace it with a second hand dumb one if you really want to be sure. Basically most things that come out of a box, which you can connect to a network and which run TCP/IP. There's a 50% chance your smartphone runs Linux if you have a smartphone.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
    Unhappy

Another offender.......

Tom Tom: Produce a device that runs Linux, but won't support its use (synch / update etc) with desktop Linux.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aw diddums

Some people don't want to play with his toy, well tough titties Torvalds.

Here's the thing, they don't have to and you can't make them, get over it Either that or go join Apple.

3. Bobthe2nd
    FAIL

Or..

He could just install Windows which would work out the box and then spend so time with friends and family... life is to short to be playing around with video drivers come 2012

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Or..

"He could just install Windows which would work out the box"

For small values of "work".

2. h4rm0ny

I love boasts from people about how they're not wasting their life and instead spend their time enjoying the rich social life of their friends and families. On a discussion forum about NVIDIA device drivers. They make me giggle so much. I mean, most of us here have friends and family we spend time with. We're posting because we actually care about Open Source. You seem to be posting because you want to tell people you don't care. Which is even less of a good reason to spend your time here than the reasons you criticise others for.

Mayhap you are trying to convince yourself, not us?

1. g e

If you have that many friends and family members to hang out with then WTF are you doing posting on a thread about Nvidia Chip Drivers? Go live the dream.

Bullet. Foot.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you care that much about open source, then go and build your own open source GPU. Problem solved. Oh wait, open source community can't because it would mean engaging with the real world of business.

1. Ben Tasker

An OS GPU has been attempted, but never took off (partly due to flaws in the design).

It's less an issue of engaging with the 'real world of business', and more 'Oh fuck, these things are really complex!'

The fact it appeared to be someones Uni project probably didn't help either. They had 10 orders, but needed a minimum of 100 to be able to manufacture the things.

3. yossarianuk

Are you telling me that just installing ANY version of Windows will give you the official Nvidia driver (complete with openGL drivers) ?

Because as far as i'm aware you never have done - unlike some Linux distros.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about as Linux has far far far more drivers that work out the box than ANY version of Windows....

And besides Linus was talking about the Android market.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classy, Linus

This clearly shows what's wrong with Linux these days, it turned into full blown punk ideology - but strangely fuelled by big business and some advertising companies riding the misleading "open" mantra.

I'm glad I jumped out of that subculture some years back. These days I just use it and don't get personally involved. If NVIDIA doesn't want to support it it's up to them, don't buy their hardware to run Linux on - simples.

1. Ilgaz

Linux is more than "cheap, free os"

Anything comes with GPL carries a very serious ideological background with it. No, it is not "communism" or USSR, red scare.

Apache, bsd licenses also carry an ideology, they just have a different take but very similar.

If you want serious suits, aix/ win or z/os are your options.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kudos

Now can you the same to the Raspberry Pi people?

Same problem there: on one hand they ride on the Linux name for their hardware, on the other their OpenGL GPU driver is closed and a pile of shit and X doesn't have 2D acceleration.

Plus I'd love to see what PR moves the Liz & Eben couple^Wgang Would pull if Linus told them to fuck themselves.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
      Thumb Down

Re: Kudos

This is down to Broadcom, not the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And Eben works where? Oh, Broadcom...

1. Ben Tasker

If you're not happy with your Raspberry Pi, you can always send it to me ;)

2. Eponymous Cowherd
          Facepalm

Yes, Eben works for Broadcom, designing ASICs.

This gives him, as an employee, exactly how much influence?

2. James Hughes 1

Re: Kudos @AC

Not sure why you think the GPU driver is a pile of shit. It isn't BTW. It's not OSS, but it certainly isn't shit. There isn't an X driver, that's true. So the only 'shittiness' is the *lack* of a X driver, not the quality of what IS provided. Are you bitter about something?

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Linux

"Plus I'd love to see what PR moves the Liz & Eben couple^Wgang Would pull if Linus told them to fuck themselves."

I'd settle for hearing how the Foundation views what Linus has said about closed video/GPU drivers. I know they accepted the situation of having to use a 'binary blob' but do they believe Broadcom or Linus is more right?

Linus does however have the luxury of his future not being tied to NVIDEO whereas the Foundation has to tread more carefully with Broadcom. Given the choice as the Foundation present things, a Raspberry Pi with closed drivers or nothing, it's hard to say they made the wrong choice.

6. DrXym

Linus is right

I think NVidia is shooting itself in the foot by not opening up at least the kernel portion of its drivers.

I can understand why they did it. For a long time keeping the code closed helped maintain a commercial advantage. It stops rivals lifting their optimizations or finding the weaknesses / bugs to embarrass NVidia. I expect there are also contractual reasons which would make opening the code non trivial.

But by NOT opening up it finds itself forced to maintain binary blobs against a multitude of Linux distributions (and guaranteed to break when the kernel / X11 updates). It makes it harder for them to find or fix bugs (since nobody else will do it) and increases the burden of testing and development. Additionally by driving people away it increases the amount of business that rivals like AMD and Intel enjoy.

Opening the code would save them a lot of money. Distributors would take over much of the maintenance and bug fixes would be forthcoming from all directions. If they CAN'T open the old source for whatever reason they should at least throw their weight and technical assistance behind the noveau open source drivers and allow them to reach a speed and maturity that the old code can simply be mothballed. Same result in the end but it should really happen.

I also think that the above will play out in tablet land too. Some SoCs are GPL'ing their kernel drivers and if Nvidia doesn't they may find themselves losing a lot of business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Opening the code would save them a lot of money"

Would it really since - open or not - people expect the same level of support, drivers for multiple distributions, etc.

They would also need to release full hardware documentation of their hardware to get the community working on the code, but that opens up the can of worms you mentioned re commercial advantage, embarrassing weaknesses and even clones popping up.

And you you what would save them even more money?

Not releasing drivers at all - which is what they've done here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Linus is right

I can understand why they did it. For a long time keeping the code closed helped maintain a commercial advantage.

Do you honestly believe that Nvidia's competitors aren't decompiling and documenting the drivers? This can be done legally, and given the cost of development of a good GPU is likely to be worth it.

7. nexsphil

>You must be a cave man because the market has been shifting away from desktops for quite some time now. The mobile and tablet market is where the game is

Yes I keep hearing this, yet seeing absolutely none of it. Sure there are a lot of phones around, but they hardly act as a replacement for desktops & laptops. And tablets? Ha. Ha. Ha.

These "TABLITS R D FOOTUR" raving journos are little Knuts that don't realise that reality doesn't care how often you repeat drivel - it won't become any truer.

8. yossarianuk
    Linux

Linus = no shareholder so can say how it is....

You can generally trust Linus is what he is saying and usually he is right.

Unlike Ballmer, Gates and the late Jobs Linus has never had to worry about upsetting shareholders and gaining revenue - unlike other 'visionary's' he doesn't have to partake in any corporate bullshit - that reason alone makes his words far more trustworthy that ANYONE from Microsoft or Apple.

Give me Linus any day, I trust him to do the right thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Linus = no shareholder so can say how it is....

Linus IS a shareholder of Red Hat, he was given stock at the IPO.

He's probably just pissed that NVIDIA is only a silver member ($20K/year) of his employer, the Linux Foundation.

Hopefully this gesture will encourage them them to move up to the $500,000/year Platinum level.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Linus = no shareholder so can say how it is....

He's probably just pissed that NVIDIA is only a silver member ($20K/year) of his employer, the Linux Foundation.

Given that his employment contract centres around the fact that he's employed by them, but cannot be told what to do by them I suspect this is a little bit unlikely.

I'm also not sure that RedHat are too concerned over NVidia drivers. They'll certainly be quite low on the list of priorities given that the main thing they're interested in is Servers. Not that you couldn't slot an NVidia card into a server, but how many businesses do that?

The greater proportion of business workstations may not need these drivers either, with the exception of laptops (where you can't change the card as easily).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I'm also not sure that RedHat are too concerned over NVidia drivers."

O RLY?

"Need a turbo-charged simulation and design environment with high-performance visualization and interactivity? Red Hat provides support for the latest graphics cards and true scalability on multicore systems."

http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux/desktop/

You'd be surprised by the number of RHEL desktops in the engineering industry. Wouldn't it be nice let folk run that same software on nicely powered notebooks they can take anywhere...

1. Ben Tasker

Re: "I'm also not sure that RedHat are too concerned over NVidia drivers."

@AC

Hey, you may be right about RedHat wanting support for NVidia after all.

Doesn't exactly provide a smoking gun for Torvalds wanting support for commercial reasons though does it? Still far more likely (especially if you look at his history) that he's fed up of Nvidia (and others) fucking around than it is that he's made these statements in order to try and gain some additional value on his shares.

Wouldn't it be nice let folk run that same software on nicely powered notebooks they can take anywhere...

Yes, yes it would. But then, historically speaking, graphics isn't the only area of contention for laptops (call me picky, but notebook means paper). It's definitely gotten better in most areas though.

What'd be really nice (<idealism>) is a world where it didn't have to reach this point, manufacturers would be keen to help others write drivers for their hardware (</idealism>) but it doesn't quite align with shareholder value in some areas.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Simulation and high end design servers are not as abig a market as general purpose servers. For everty special purpose server, there are probably tens of thousands of general purpose applciation servers. It's the general purpsoe server business that no doubt makes it possible for RHEL to cover the overheads of adding support for the special purpose needs.

1. JEDIDIAH
              Linux

Nobody needs Red Hat for "general purpose application servers".

It's the interesting stuff like GPU compute servers that require the kind of buy in that makes a company like Red Hat a more obvious choice. Otherwise, people just go with Debian. OTOH, if Red Hat is willing to leave money on the table companies like Microway will gladly take it from them. They have been providing higher performance Linux machines since the 90s. (It was Alpha then)

9. Robert Ramsay
    Thumb Up

Good on you, Linus.

I'm big and clever and I approve of this swearing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good on you, Linus.

Cherished El Reg commentard Big Dumg Guy 555 would also approve.

10. James 100

I was surprised by the focus of this too: I've always used nVidia rather than ATI in my machines because of their *better* driver support for Linux - and as others have pointed out, ATI manage to suck for drivers even on Windows. Laptop with an ATI chipset? No drivers for you! Talk to the manufacturer ... yes, they went bust months ago and never bothered providing support or drivers anyway, so you're stuffed. Thanks for buying ATI - won't be making that mistake again, will you?

The Optimus thing is interesting: it seems nVidia needed access to the DMA-BUF buffering stuff, but some developers were objecting because their driver is partly closed-source.

I can understand the desire for GPLed drivers from nVidia, but wearing an end-user hat this does look very much like "users screwed by ideology". ATI don't seem any better in this respect - at least, their Linux drivers are also proprietary and will hit exactly this issue too - it's just nVidia were actively involved in Linux kernel development and seem to have hit it first. Maybe if Intel manage to produce competitive graphics cards with open-source drivers, it'll force nVidia and ATI to re-think - but for now, taking users hostage and obstructing nVidia supporting them better is hardly helpful.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The closer GPUs resemble programmable logic

...the more secrets you reveal to the competition by publishing the documentation.

The the closer to the edge of the envelope the chips run, the less foolproof they become. Poking a wrong value into a register here or switching on this circuit here before that one could so easily result in a cooked chip, and support and warranties quickly become impossible. I can absolutely see why it's in Nvidia's and ATI's interest to obfuscate and safeguard their technology as much as they possibly can and take the flak. Just look at the extraordinary lengths Altera and Xilinx go to with their software to protect themselves from each other and their users.

It would be in everyone's interest to have a 3D API that is more pervasive and keeps up with DirectX. Perhaps provide a virtual machine sandbox specifically for the closed source drivers to run on. These things would make supporting a range of OSs less of a headache for the hardware vendors.

Can somebody explain why Linux support for Intel GMA is so lame?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To all those saying that Android runs Linux and hence NVIDIA should open source their drivers: your comments are irrelevant because there are no mobile GPU makers which fully open source their GPU drivers (although some will give you the source code if you sign a commercial agreement with them).

Graphics drivers are just too fundamental to the system to risk some open source hack-monkey fucking them up.

1. h4rm0ny
      Facepalm

"To all those saying that Android runs Linux and hence NVIDIA..."

Android doesn't "run" Linux. Android *is* Linux. Plus GNU tools and a GUI.

"your comments are irrelevant because there are no mobile GPU makers which fully open source their GPU drivers (although some will give you the source code if you sign a commercial agreement with them)."

How does whether anyone else does this change whether it would be better or worse for NVIDIA to do this from a Linux user's point of view? I also noticed that sneaky little word "fully" added in there. AMD, for example, have provided large chunks of open sourced code and documentation enough that it has been possible to write open source drivers for them. They've also said that the only reason they can't further open source for the time being is that they are under legal obligations not to disclose some third party parts, but that they're working on this. So "fully" ? No. Far more so than NVIDIA? Yes.

"Graphics drivers are just too fundamental to the system to risk some open source hack-monkey fucking them up."

And there you show your ignorance. "Open Source Hack-Monkey"? Aside from most Open Source programmers on big things like Kernel and graphics drivers being far ahead of the average level of programming ability (you have to be - these are very complicated beasts), how exactly does being able to compile the driver as a kernel module, enabling it to be *less* likely to become incompatible with the rest of the kernel, "fuck things up" more than sticking it in as an opaque binary blob that you never know if a kernel change might break it or not?

Basically, your pig-ignorance about how skilled Linux kernel developers are, combined with what appears to be your expectation that Open Source means anyone can come in, make some changes and commit them to the main branch, makes me conclude that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

13. A J Stiles
    Mushroom

There's a way out of this: Legislation!

One resolution to the situation (admittedly, this is the Nuclear Option) would be an EU-wide law obliging all hardware manufacturers to release full specifications for their hardware, to all users, on pain of their products being banned from sale within the EU. This information forms part of the instruction manual, for crying out loud.

It's not as if all the other manufacturers aren't buying each other's products to reverse-engineer anyway.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The votes here say a lot

Yeah right. If the nVidia CEO has seen this, I doubt the nVidia CEO was like "ooh boo hoo, Linus gave us the finger" - CEO was more likely thinking, "yeah whatever. get your OS to displace Windows from top spot nd we'll talk more about your GPU needs".

My only take away is the FOSS supporters are a passionate bunch, but a little naive. Someone provide a single good business case as to why nVidia should make such investments when it can make more money dedicating its finite resources to the products that are making good money? It's a business and their job is to make profits by producing to meet demand. It's that simple. nVidia DOES NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING it doesn't want to do or that does not make it or its shareholders richer. Return on investment people, that's all that matters. And not just nVidia, ATI, Intel, all of them - they don't have to do jack, nor do they have to explain why. The only people they have to explain to are the shareholders. If their decisions are making profits and the shareholders are happy, end of story.

The needs of the many versus the needs of the few. The simple, hard to accept for some, factt is Windows is still dominant in consumer and business land. As a business you go where you know you'll make the most money. There will always be the unhappy minority you can't satisfy, so what.

15. Sarah Davis
    Coat

who cares ?

.. so he swore, so what ? He has good reason.

My first experience with Linux was a complete fail due to the only Nvidia driver available offered 640x480 - so i replaced my Nvidia with an AMD and I've never bought or recommended Nvidia since. Yes I could have paid for a driver, but why? Drivers are free with the hardware. You don't buy hardware and then have to buy drivers to make it work. Regardless of what your argument is, Nvidia failed badly with Linux. They took a short-sighted and unprofessional stance - other than that it hardly warrants discussion

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nVidia has more important things to do

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/18033970

Sorry FOSS folks, but I doubt you can match the spending power of the US government.

1. Robin Bradshaw
      Thumb Up

Re: nVidia has more important things to do

Lucky Titan doesnt run linux or GPU support would be a pain :)

1. Lars Silver badge
        Linux

Re: nVidia has more important things to do

I suppose you know very well it will run Linux.

17. peyton?
    Devil

I think the comments can be summed up

To paraphrase a famous quote:

NVidia is the worst form of vendor, except for all the rest.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What!? No “Figure 1„ or “digitus impudicus" references? Opportunities like that are not to be wasted, you know.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like