back to article iPhones, iPads to be FULL OF FACEBOOK and NOT GOOGLE

If you're harboring any doubts about bad blood bubbling between Apple and Google, Cupertino's iOS headman Scott Forstall dispelled them on Monday when introducing the next version of Apple's mobile operating system, iOS 6. "They released a dairy product, 4.0, about the same time that we released iOS 5," Macworld quotes* …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Nev
    FAIL

Phone app "improvements"...

...Stuff that standard voicemail/handsets has been offering for the past 15 years. Sheesh.

My operator even lets me listen in to people leaving messages on my voicemail and pick up, whilst they are leaving a message, after screening who it is/what they want.

C'mon Apple. INNOVATE!

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: Phone app "improvements"...

Maybe I missed something, but which mobile operators/handsets allow you to listen to a voicemail message while it's being left and then decide to take the call anyway?

There's an awkward problem here; your landline phone handles the voicemail itself, whereas the mobiles have to do it in the network because the phone is more likely to be off the network.

Technically there's no reason why the phone (any phone) couldn't do this, but you would then need some good integration at the network end to avoid ending up with both "online" and "offline" messages to listen to - ok, that's not the end of the world, but it's something I would find a massive pain in a fairly short amount of time.

Ultimately, you have three problems:

1) Persuading network operators to spend money on their end.

2) Making the whole thing standard so you don't have to match handsets to systems.

3) Persuading a reasonable number of handset/OS manufacturers to support the standard & make it work.

Seems like a huge amount of work for minimal gain, but if you're drowning in cash feel free to create all of this; I can't see anyone else bothering.

2. Watashi

iTards

I don't think I've ever seen a more meaningless set of statistics than the "Installed base" figures supplied by Apple. My Galaxy Ace, which I got in Feb and is currently available for free on Vodafone for £15 a month, runs fine on Android 2.3. As it's a bottom of mid range phone I wouldn't expect it to run v4 of Android. The cheapest new iPhone I could have got is the iPhone 4, available at £36 a month on Vodafone, and I'd be pretty p*ssed off if it didn't support the latest version of iOS.

Look at the market and these figures tell you only one thing:- companies offer cheap mobiles that run older versions of Android and expensive mobiles that run the new version of Android. You might as well say that the average Jaguar owner has a bigger engine in their car than the average Ford owner.

1. Henry Blackman

Re: iTards

Why not let 'cheap' phones run the latest and greatest. The 3GS will run IOS6 according to Apple. How on earth can you justify cheap Android phones are better because they run older software is beyond anyone with any common sense. The 3GS is free remember.

1. M Gale

3GS, free?

Tell me where. I want 10.

Oh, "free" on contract. Ho hum.

So about 500 quid then.

3. Robert Caldecott

iOS6 map compared to a Google Map...

...of Kings Cross, London. The Google one is in a different league IMHO.

https://twitter.com/corxo/status/212314131590692864/photo/1/large

(thanks to @corxo)

4. LawLessLessLaw
    Boffin

I thought the future was Twatter ?

Ideas running short

5. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Hmmm...

It would be great if they redid Siri's voice so she actually sounds like a woman instead of a neutered hermaphrodite. I will not be using any of that Facebook sharing nonsense and have no need of adding anyone's Facebook info to my Address book. I do not need any more Facebook integration than I have no. All FB notifications are turned off and shall remain that way indefinitely.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

One word.

BBBBB---OOOO---RRRR----IIIIIIIIIII----N-----N----GGGGG

B----B------O-----O---R----R-------II--------N-N--N---G

BBBBB---O-----O---RRR---------II--------N--N-N---G-----GG

B----B------O-----O---R---R--------II--------N-----N---G-------G

BBBBB---OOOO---R------R---IIIIIIIIII----N------N---GGGGG

K THX BYE

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fragmentation

Apple is only managing to avoid fragmentation by making its users believe they must have the latest hardware. Once Apple has released a ew more device updates it will be pretty fragmented too and will probably stop supporting older devices to force upgrades of hardware so that it can continue claim to have the least fragmentation.

1. Henry Blackman

Re: Fragmentation

Or actually supporting old devices.

2. chr0m4t1c

Re: Fragmentation

In case you haven't noticed, they stopped supporting older devices quite a while ago, but as they're supporting devices up to three years old, I'm not sure how far back you would expect them to go anyway.

I have no idea how many pre-3GS devices are still out there being used, but how many HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1 phones are still being used today? (They would be around the same age as the next oldest iPhone, the 3G.)

Any news on ICS availability for the original Droid (about the same age as the 3GS)?

Don't forget, these announcements are from a DEVELOPER conference, fragmentation is likely to be a significant headache for quite a few of them and Apple's ability to move 80% of their user base onto the latest OS in such a short space of time is not to be scoffed at; most other vendors dream of being able to do that (esp. Microsoft).

But of course you are correct, the iOS space is already getting quite fragmented with it's one release of OS and four screen resolutions you need to target to hit 80% of the users.

It's barely any better than the Android space where you have a choice of 12 screen resolutions from the current HTC range alone. Not.

For some developers this will be no problem, but for others it will be a nightmare.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like