back to article Mozilla and Google blast IE-only Windows on ARM

Mozilla and Google are crying foul over Microsoft restrictions blocking rivals from Windows 8 on ARM, due later this year. Firefox-shop Mozilla has branded Microsoft's restrictions a return to the digital dark ages "where users and developers didn't have browser choices". Harvey Anderson, Mozilla general counsel, accused …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. h4rm0ny

Re: I feel sorry for the people not capable of running Linux

"Hah hah. I work for MS and have been hearing that for years"

Really? If that's actually true then I suspect you work at a very low-level in Microsoft. Maybe support or similar. I mean no offence to tech support (they have super-human levels of patience which is more than I do), but people who actually work on writing O/S in a serious capacity whether that is Windows 7 or Debian or whatever, tend to have too much awareness of how much work goes into something of that scale to casually mock other's efforts, even when it's a rival system. Most of the Linux fanboys who reflexively slag off MS wouldn't actually know where to start with coding the Linux kernel. Similarly, people who know what they're talking about when it comes to writing the Windows O/S, I would be very surprised to hear them "laugh themselves to sleep" at Linux. A modern O/S is HARD WORK.

For reference, I currently use Windows 7 as my primary because I like it, but I have been using Linux since, I'm not sure, but I recall installing SuSE 6.0. The new Gnome is ugly as fuck, but then I'm not convinced by Metro yet. But neither O/S is something to be laughed at.

I'm sorry to be all so mature about this, it's just that you're so... not.

1. Miek
    Linux

I see were back to Artificial Technical Limitations again Microsoft. You don't learn do you? I'm sure you will all be hearing from the EU again.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

I give Windows RT 12 months before its quietly dropped in favour of 'full' windows on X86 tablets, its already being shown to be a half arsed attempt to steal customers away from the iPad but without having any of the apps and probably costing more due to the Windows tax.

after playing the the Windows 8 beta for a few days, it may work ok on a tablets touch screen but the metro interface is not suited to laptop/desktop use, and i feel a lot of people will stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 could become the new Vista and ME.

1. Richard Plinston

> I give Windows RT 12 months before its quietly dropped in favour of 'full' windows on X86 tablets

MS would prefer that everyone bought x86 as they will make more for the OS, for Office, and for all the other software they can sell.

In fact it is likely that WOA/WinRT is not about selling products but is about stopping people buying products, in particular about OEMs making ARM based Linux/Android/etc tablets.

The OEM discounts are only available to 'loyal' OEMs, those that install MS products on all possible machines. This was shown with netbooks where MS brought XP back because Vista simply could not run on Atom powered netbooks and thus they could sell Linux machines without breaking the discount.

HP may have been the first victim of WOA. WebOS may have been a success eventually, but the loss of OEM discounts on _all_ HP products may have been too much of a price to pay.

3. Jon Green
    Facepalm

Lawyers, start your engines!

Amazing. Just when I was actually starting to like MS again (after decades agin), they fall back on their old bad ways.

The antitrust lawyers will have a field day with this, MS will be stomped on from on high in the US and European courts, and end up paying a fortune and opening out the OS again, just as happened with the Windows Browser Wars.

It is Profoundly Not Clever. MS's middle market (desktop and laptop PCs, particularly in business) is under a major squeeze from Android, iOS and Mac OS devices, and they are very late to the table, or rather the tablet. If Microsoft is to reinvigorate its market, and get back into a race that's in danger of leaving MS in its dust, it absolutely must operate as open and inclusive as possible, else developers will simply deploy their limited resources where they're more profitably employed - and buyers will buy devices that they have the widest scope for adapting to their own needs.

Time for a change at the top at MSFT, before they squander the rest of their share value. Their market capitalisation's been on a slow slide over the past ten years, in marked comparison to Apple and (since 2004) Google - and a huge new antitrust exposure won't help things at all.

4. Kevster
    Mushroom

Whilst I have time for Mozilla (mainly use FF) they are bleating on for no reason. They roll over and take one from Apple when they don't allow another browser on iOS but then bitch about a small portion of prospective Win 8 RT users. To be honest I think MS regret having to provide the classic desktop with Win8RT but have had to as there is just so much to Metroise.

We shall see...

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

MS could have made the WOA platform as open as Wintel and even thrown in x86 emulation since most Wintel programs just sit there in an event loop waiting for the user to click something. Instead they assume that on ARM == tablet, make Metro the only option as a UI, and lock it down to within an inch of its life and as a result locked themselves out of any fledgling ARM latop/desktop market.

Not content with that they also manage to pollute the Wintel version with Metro and bring confusion to the Wintel API.

MS have never known how to split things up, it's all a huge interconnected mess, just look in the C:\Windows directory...

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Stop

just look in the C:\Windows directory

I'd really rather not ...

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

If you want an x86 PC/tablet, buy one.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: How to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

@JDX: This is my point, however I got a little carried away and it was poorly expressed.

There should be a laptop/desktop Windows 8 that uses Aero as a UI and runs on x86 and ARM.

There should be a tablet Windows 8 that uses Metro as a UI and runs on x86 and ARM. This could probably be as locked down as much as Microsoft likes since it doesn't have a monopoly, although restricting the browser to IE is rather annoying.

There is no need to have any transmogrifying Aero/Metro UI 'feature' at all, however the same installer could contain up to four binaries to make life a little simpler for the user (unless Microsoft wants to lock down the tablet version to their own shop).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who know what non sequitur means?

Is this one?

"The reason for this was simple and came down to chipset and interface: ARM doesn't support native x86 apps while Windows 8 introduces the tiled and touch-based Metro UI."

ARM does indeed not support native x86 apps. And nor did Alpha, MIPS, or PowerPC, but when MS decided they wanted NT on them, MS got NT on them. And, obviously, vice versa. Alpha managed to do Win32/x86 via translation with FX!32, and probably QEMU would support x86 emulation on ARM, but whether that's relevant/significant is a different question.

MS could easily have their bits of Windows 8 Classic on ARM if they wanted. Obviously it would be some compatible subset of ARM kit, rather than every ARM that ever shipped. Much the same way as Windows Phone (tee hee) and its predecessors only ran on some subset of ARM kit. In fact the subset for Windows 8 Classic on ARM could probably be the same subset as is specificed today for WOA, maybe with some variations dependent on screen size.

But the Wintel world doesn't want that, far too much business at risk, so it doesn't happen.

Apologies if someone already said this, just passing briefly by.

7. itzman

seriously, what are they ON?

Frankly its just another reason to to install WinAnything in the first place.

8. Neil 38

European Competition Commission

I guess Windows RT won't be coming to Europe then.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: European Competition Commission

Absolutely incorrect.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Losing faith in The Register...

Damn, that's some SHIT editing el reg - comments prior to this point out the obvious errors.

If it wasn't for the Paris Hilton angle, I would've left ages ago and header on over to ... erm, damn, slashdot?

I take it all back El Reg, I'm not losing faith in you, but faith in my taste.

10. mrfill
    Thumb Up

Bang bang bang

Ahhh the sound of more nails being driven into the coffin of Windows 8

And if, as mentioned above, they are just copying Apple, we should expect the lawyers to be kept busy and wealthy for a few more years.

11. sisk

Huh?

"Anderson says senior Microsoft lawyer David Heiner told him other browsers would not be allowed on ARM. Whether this is a technical or political choice is unclear"

What? Are you kidding? What possible technical limitation could there possibly be behind this choice? Let me spell it out for you: if it's possible for any browser to run then it's technically possible for someone other than Microsoft to make a browser that will run. Clearly the decision to only allow IE is purely political.

My guess is that Microsoft is pining for the days when they basically had a monopoly in the browser market. In ARM, an area where they have no presence currently and thus can't be accused of monopolistic practices, they see an area where they can take a stab at regaining it. I could see the plan backfiring horribly. By only allowing IE they are instantly alienating a huge chunk of the geek market. When you alienate geeks, you also alienate the people who turn to them for advice. That's a lot of people who will never consider buying a WOA device. 10 years ago Microsoft could get away with that sort of thing, but I don't think Microsoft's position is strong enough to be pissing off geeks before they even enter a new market any more.

12. Camilla Smythe

Why Don't ARM

Tell them to all Feck Off and sort themselves out Proper Like?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exactly what do you expect with vendor lockdown. Look for more of the same.

14. Neil Alexander
    Thumb Down

If this were Apple...

... everyone would be strangely OK with it.

I still don't see Gecko-based browsers on iOS but, curiously, nobody is outraged by that.

15. James 32
    Mushroom

An operating system is what it's creators want it to be

Why do people think that it is a god given right to have equal access to platforms created by Microsoft and Apple. These are commercial entities and they have created operating systems to make money - for no other reason. We live in a free society - which means any person or collection of persons, are able to create a product and take it to market. Anyone who disagrees with this premise is arguing against one of the fundamentals of capitalism.

One can only assume those people are unemployed or work for the public sector because anyone who has a job for a business is really a hypocrite if they think that Microsoft or Apple are not entitled to leverage competitive advantage by using the products they themselves create. At a nuts and bolts level, this is all about senior individuals in a job making decisions about their own products to add best value to their company and make a profit - doing this is their commercial duty to their shareholders and it is their ethical duty to the staff that depend on their decisions to provide the foundations on which they can build their careers. Of course Microsoft and Apple would like to own the browser on their platform. Sony own the browser built into the Playstation - I don't see a choice of Chrome or Mozilla there - and why should there be: Playstation is owned by Sony.

I would argue that over time, the browser will disappear and merge into the operating system. The mainstream browsers should all be much of a muchness when we get to IE10. And in most people's mind they won't give 2 hoots what browser they are using to access the web. They'll only be concerned with which device they'll be using when they access it. I expect vendors of any operating system to follow suit. Apple have blurred the lines and a sharp legal mind will soon easily argue that the browser is now necessarily part of the operating system.

Apple will easily lock users in to Safari as they surround it with more cloud based services.

Microsoft will do the same with IE. And why shouldn't they - we pay them to write operating systems, and we expect their operating systems to continue to evolve with the Internet. The shift to the cloud is a natural part of this. Making the browser transparent is a huge part of providing intuitive and secure access to the web while acknowledging that for most people, accessing the web is why they buy a computer now.

So any vendor should be entitled to sell a computer with a built in operating system that provides great web access out of the box, and having invested a great deal of money developing that operating system they naturally want to protect their investment by giving their own browser a significant advantage.

Sorry but I've seen the future - and Mozilla and Firefox did not exist and everyone was using computers that looked like giant iPhones.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: An operating system is what it's creators want it to be

It's not a God-given right, it's a law-given right.

Monopolies are universally known to be bad for the consumer in the medium to long run, for exactly the same reasons that they are good for the monopoly holder.

Namely that you can sell rubbish at very high margin, refuse to improve the product and still the consumer is forced to buy it.

Thus there are laws to limit monopoly powers.

You may disagree with the extent of these laws, but they do exist and must be followed. At least until the lobbying arm gets them changed, anyway.

Microsoft are hoping that Apple and Android save them from charges of abuse of monopoly, whether that will work is yet to be seen, but the more they lock it down the more likely that is to get tested in court.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: An operating system is what it's creators want it to be

Exactly what monopoly is an OS with 0% market share supposed to have?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arm is the power play

You guys are missing the point. Arm is about security for microsoft. MS has enough money to market(hype) just about anything. Look at how many people by apple cause its cool. MS only have to win that game with the public ONCE, and they know it.

With MS, currently, you have to buy your software for every device. The software developers have to pay MS to get their development software, n pay MS to have their software digitally signed so as to avoid those pesky UAC warning notices.

With Arm however, developers would also have to pay a % of their turnover for the market place, plus have to pay to have access to different API's (potentially).

MS could afford to give the OS away! They won't of course, they'll just provide discounted licensing ($1) if you produce x% arm. That way they can optimize their revenue in the future.

The best thing that we can do it educate Simple John ("ooohh look, its shiny") cause we all know the power play that will be behind this.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like