back to article Virgin Media site goes titsup in Pirate Bay payback attack

Virgin Media's main website dropped off the interwebs on Tuesday with hackivist collective Anonymous claiming responsibility for the DDoS attacks in response to the company's recent cut-off of The Pirate Bay. The telco said it had to down its "customer-facing" website for about an hour last night, after it was hit by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. The Serpent

Ah, the return of my favourite generic article image

That girl ain't gonna hurt her nose if the falls over forwards. All is well.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Ah, the return of my favourite generic article image

Truly a man who can see a silver lining to every cloud! I applaud your male-chauvanist, leching optimism.

2. Zot

If there was a row of shops on your high street...

If there was a row of shops on your high street (yeah I know, unlikely these days). And one of them is selling or handing out stolen goods like clothes and TVs etc. I suppose you would only go in that shop and take what you want. And if the police shut the shop down you would say, 'well it took them a while to get around to doing that.' You wouldn't run about in a panic shouting 'they're going to shut ALL the shops - nooooo!' That's just a crazy over reaction, silly pirate thieves.

I'm not a big corporate I'm a one man company that sells my own software on the internet.

Pirates are not stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, they are just stealing from anybody they can. People come up with crazy excuses, but they are defending a theft, and they know it because they wear that stupid childish mask.

3. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Stop

Haven't you heard?

It said on the bbc the other day, that as people are circumventing this block with other methods, the government is considering greater control over those methods used, i.e. proxy web server and VPN.

First they came for my torrent site, etc. etc.

I do wish them luck. God knows they would if they only could.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Haven't you heard?

"First they came for my torrent site, etc. etc."

Yes, because stopping people having easy access to warez is comparable to the Holocaust.

Get a grip man.

4. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

hello uk population is being trolled

active military trolling in this sector is shutting down our internets, and you are just going to take it.

haha fucker now you know why they is been flying helicopters over your house daily. does it feel good in your brain to have that knowledge? no.

y u no do anything?

5. Enrico Vanni
    Pint

I'm a Virgin Media customer who was blissfully unaware of the DDoS attack. Can't remember how long ago I decided to quite VM as my homepage - it might have been around the same time that it became a DigitalSpy rivalling celeb-fest to co-incide with their sponsorship of Big Brother.

What did I choose to replace it with?! theregister.co.uk

6. LB45
    Happy

Am I the only one that..

is glad to see the boobies 'n cake picture back?

I'd gladly turn pie-rate to motorboat those.

Sorry. One track mind. Carry on with your censorship debate.

7. westlondoner
    Facepalm

you're missing the point here guys....

Multiple ISPs were told by the court to block the pirate bay. All of them stalled, except for Virgin Media. BT stalled the hardest, and even asked for more time to "consider their stance". Virgin Media carried out the block almost immediately, which I can tell you, as a Virgin Media customer, was a lot quicker than it takes to get repairs at my local exchange, or an engineer to come and visit when there's a problem at home!

8. horsham_sparky
    WTF?

who cares?

took me all of 20 seconds to bypass it.. proxy anyone? there's even people doing bypass it "the hard way" for a bit of fun

I don't condone "freetards" as el-reg likes to put it, neither do I condone the blatant profiteering that has marked the music/movie industry for so long. I think artists/programmers should get fair money for their efforts, and I'm happy to pay them for it. the problem is the labels and the megacorps that want money for nothing.

blocking pirate bay is like flicking peas into a black hole... pointless, laughable and a complete waste of time (and peas). Virgin media have it exactly right.. give consumers a viable alternative and they'll come flocking (myself included) :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay for Anonymous

Makes a change, they did something useful and stood up for the silent majority who hate filtering in any way, shape or form because it breaks the Internet while making the real "Bad Guys" use VPNs, ghostnets, and other more devious methods including the wireless pendrive hidden in convenient house brick installed in convenient building project without anyone noticing, which makes blocking them even harder.

What next, banning pendrives in the post "just in case" they contain CP/terror/etc or this week's must have movie?

Seem to recall an article suggesting that boxes of media such as blank DVDRs are being opened up and checked to see if they are really blank or just filled with pirated movies and then resealed.

AC/DC 6EQUJ5

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yay for Anonymous

Do you have any evidence you're in a silent majority? No? Thought not.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An American POV: I always liked Branson

I always liked Richard Branson, he seems a reasonable guy from what I see he just want's to push the limits. I stuck up for him in the "let virgin fly" campaign, and they now fly in America.

But when it comes to the label Virgin Media, it's like it's being ran by festering failure. Their video promotions seem to be locked down to corporate broadcasts, my attempts to contact them were all unresponded to. That's fine, there's thousands of other labels out there who will be more than happy to flood shows with their videos. So I didn't hold it against them.

I am hearing about their internet portion of their (what is it 400 companies?)

All of this festering failure can't have been made by Branson, I suspect the people running his stuff are the source of the failure. There has to be some truth in sites like Virgin Media Sucks . Com otherwise people wouldn't bother to register such a agitating domain name.

I am not telling anyone what to do, but I was Branson, I would dump virgin, and if I had them as an ISP I would not renew. If that means no communications, that's what it means. Blocking access at the ISP level is the same as not having communications anyway. If they can block TPB, they can block anything they want.

All of this spying and terrorism bs has gone to far. The banksters are the terrorists controlling our governments and pointing the fingers at us as the new terrorists. This won't end well.

1. Matt Hawkins
      FAIL

Re: An American POV: I always liked Branson

Richard Branson doesn't own Virgin Media. He has a 15% stake.

Unfortunately cable internet wipes the floor with ADSL so it would take a lot more than blocking 1 site for me to consider leaving. With cable internet I pay for 30Mbs and get 30Mbs. With ADSL I would pay for 20Mbs and get 1.5Mbs!

1. the-it-slayer
        Devil

Re: An American POV: I always liked Branson

Shame you haven't caught up with VDSL (cheaper for 40Mbps down / 6 Mbps up we've been rated as). We're jumping ship to it from VM as the individual throttling is just getting too agressive, even for most of the average users wanting to push more video through their internet connections.

In general, VM is extremely good for the connection itself (very rarely get any downtime), but I have heard of stories where USPs are getting hammered with subscriptions and slower speeds are getting to end consumers with dropped packets.

11. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

They should have expected us

They should have expected us.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

United Kingdom of Censorship

The Big Fat Virgin lost her virginity. Priceless!

13. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Facepalm

Just put TPB into Google and it doesn't take a genius to work out how to get around VM's block, it would be comical if all that effort in court wasn't so pathetic and ultimately impotent!

1. SJRulez

Just use google translate or if you use Opera switch the optimizer on it routes requests through their servers.

14. f1rest0rm

Dear Anonymous

Please fuck off and stop pretending you are doing anyone any favours ....

15. mfraz

Orange

Looks like Orange have now also blocked The Pirate Bay. Good job there are other Torrent sites out there!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Write to someone ?

I am not joining any side here, but i would like to point out that writing a letter to your MP is something people from 70s (and before) suggest as the 'right' way to influence our so called representatives.

I have done this on a couple of occasions, and i was even blessed to have an MP who had previously had a career in IT, however said MP for Slough has about as much influence in the running of the country and implementation of these laws as my dead cat.

We are shown over and over that the way to attract attention is through media stunts and catchy sound bites that can twittered around the globe. If Anon are mostly script kiddies then maybe they are just using ways they think will work in this media obsessed world, however ill advised these actions may be.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasted Effort

Seems a bit unfair. There wasn't much Virgin Media could do. I think they need to turn their attention to the people that supported the ban. The media companies, the politicians etc

TPB is still available on Virgin Media. You just need to spend 5 seconds on Google to work it out. If you can't do that then you shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

18. Neiljohnuk
    Holmes

Refunds for lies time!

Service Disruption

Reported on: Mon 07 May 2012, 07:27 PM

Estimated fix time: Tue 15 May 2012, 06:00 PM

Fault reference: F001989870

This fault first developed on Saturday 5th and by adding time everyday putting the fix time back ever further Virgin media are proving to be less than honest. I hope we will get a refund for the month of May, as the service provided does not even match the slowest dial-up I can buy!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like