back to article 'Attitudes to robot sex will change'

In Steven Spielberg’s AI (Artificial Intelligence), Jude Law plays smoking hot Gigolo Joe, a male prostitute “mecha” – a new class robot humanoids of the 22nd century. But according to New Zealand based academics, Ian Yeoman and Michelle Mars, a Gigolo Joe could be at our disposal in less than 30 years. In their paper Robots …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Sex tourism?

At present, sex tourism exists because these places are the only place you can do this stuff. Robots would change that. Moreover, if the first sexbots arrive in 30 years, they'll be cheap as chips in 50 and the majority of people will be able to afford one at home.

Sexbots will kill off the sex tourism industry, except for a few niches catering for those who get off on the exploitation rather than the physical act.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Sex tourism?

I want loads of gold

and fuck loads of diamonds

and I hope lots of men

die trying to find em

Abuse of others has sadly always been a symbol of wealth and power - it can't be faked.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

But...

What is the official line from the Church/Lawyers, Is it considered Adultry to give one to a Hoover?

1. Peter Murphy
      Devil

Fick mich, du miserabler hurensohn....

Don't worry about the church. The First Church of Appliantology is perfectly fine with people getting it on with XQJ-37 nuclear powered Pan-Sexual Roto-Plookers.

2. DJV Silver badge

Re: But...

http://www.gocomics.com/monty/2011/07/08

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welsh option

Mmmm - electric sheep!

1. Thorne

Re: Welsh option

Didn't Phillip K Dick write a book about that? "Do Welshmen dream of electric sheep" or somethink like that

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

androids vs. avatars

I'm guessing physical avatars before androids. Long distance gf/bf etc. Some may go for super-Siri but human element likely remains on top for a while.Perhaps rather than threatening, its a career extending opportunity for the red ladies of amsterdam. But what you have to ask is are you really sure your partner avatar controller is under 90.

5. Wupspups

Groinal attachments

I wonder if they would come with groinal attachments? Be handy for giving the old boudoir a quick vacum before the next punter arrives. Or perhaps rustling up a quick post coital omlette with the whisk. Of course not many go for that option.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally I would prefer a living human with their flaws over a sex droid...

So if I was paying, I'd pay extra for flesh.....

I'd like an android servant though, that would be handy!

1. Thorne

You pay for all sex. With an android at least it's an upfront cost and 50Km services. Most males are still paying for sex they had years ago (and will continue to do so).

7. Vanir
    Joke

Don't why blokes just use ...

a milking machine.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Don't why blokes just use ...

Why? Because they don't stop until they get several pints!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks you two! That sort of hard to forget mental image has just completely ruined my Friday night plans!

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

,,,because they don't stop until they've taken ten pints!

8. Steve Evans

Hmmm...

Robotic muscle powered legs wrapped round your back?

Sounds like a quick route to a wheelchair!

1. Thorne

Re: Hmmm...

Quick route or quick root?

9. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Wow

Bad sci-fi thinly disguised as academic research. Where can I get some of this funding?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Bad sci-fi

"Bad" is subjective (though I agree the quoted material is pretty dull stuff - I haven't read the whole paper, though), but certainly this is well-traveled ground. The idea of a "sex robot" arguably goes back at least as far as the myth of Pygmalion.

I'm partial to George Barker's version:

O sometimes, nevertheless,

The labourer at his instrument or tractor,

Bending into a state of merge with objects,

Finds the same love that, from a machine of sex,

Steps down as Venus to her invoker.[1]

The alert reader will note that Barker is drawing an equivalence between sex and working with machines, much as the Thompson Twins did in "You Take Me Up".

[1] In some collections where this poem appears, the last word of this line is "invocator". Apparently Barker changed it at some point; I believe "invoker" is the later version. The poem is from 1943.

10. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

To quote from Frank Zappa

"L. Ron Hoover:

A Latent Appliance Fetishist

Is a person who refuses to admit to his or herself

That sexual gratification can only be achieved

Through the use of MACHINES . . .

Get the picture?"

The most relevant bit's here

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: To quote from Frank Zappa

An acute observer of human sexuality, was Frank, RIP. Observations of Catholic Girls, Jewish Princesses, and, with all these goth girls filling up one's local boozer "Where's my waitress? You can take this pen and hang it on your ass! You ain't the devil!"

11. atomic jam

Pleasure bots in around 30 years ...

I want one now!

12. Lamont Cranston
    Terminator

If this is going to eliminate the trafficking of child sex-workers,

won't this require sex-droids that mimic human children? And if so, won't that fall foul of the law?

Or is it all an elaborate honeytrap?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: If this is going to eliminate the trafficking of child sex-workers,

"won't this require sex-droids that mimic human children? And if so, won't that fall foul of the law?"

Of course it will. I can't imagine a government that will voluntarily give up a stick with which they can beat us to surrender more and more freedoms, and the threat of "paedos" around every corner is just such a stick. Anything that will make the threat (real or perceived) go away will not be welcomed...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps that's where the "tourism" part comes in. Otherwise it would make more sense to ship the bots around the world and set up shop where the customers are. But if sex bots–or certain kinds–are outlawed in many countries, then customers would have have a reason to go to those where they aren't.

3. Thorne

They'll be out of warranty before their old enough

13. Fibbles

Mechanising the oldest profession...

At least it will lead to more interestingly dressed luddites.

14. mmm mmm

That's me fixed for my old age then.

15. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The saviour of the British car industry

So the Italian built ones would be sleek, fast and beautiful but unreliable and require lots of maintenance,

The German ones would be powerful and efficient but soulless

The American ones would have a pair 4.8 liter V8 hemi funbags on the front but weigh 4tons

While the British ones would just leak oil.

16. John A Blackley

Storage

How would an android brass stand up to being stored in a damp, drafty garden shed for most of the year?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you had an iChick then..

I suspect that male users would use it so much that the battery would need to be nuclear for enough uhm, endurance.

Guaranteeing that Apple fanbois never breed.. Win for evolution methinks.

AC/DC and if anyone suggests induction charging I will personally slap them!

1. Busby
      Happy

Re: If you had an iChick then..

Forget Nuclear what's wrong with collecting Kinetic energy?

Nuclear option for the lazy tubbies.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I guess you can think of a sexbot as a big marital aid/adult toy

So I suppose that I can see them becoming relatively popular.

Just as long as your sexbot is not programmed to ask you what you are thinking afterwards....

19. Jack's_Rage
    Trollface

Problem?

My only thing how to you get your money back after your done?

Can you still roll it up in a carpet and throw it in a burning dumpster?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Future-proofing

Before you get too excited, consider the fact that;

A: Each sex-robot will be wirelessly connected to GCHQ –just in case you're prone to incriminating pillow talk

B: You'll only be able to afford the ad-supported version –and an offer made in flagrante to find you a guaranteed lowest motor insurance policy, might spoil the moment a bit.

C: hardware oneupmanship will mean the shine will soon wear off your crappy old Diddy-O-Tron 4,5, with a measley four knocker presets –when your workmate upgrades to a Miff-O-Matic 6,1, with the infinitely adjustable nipple girth.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My sex droid

dumped me for the microwave

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but...

How many would buy a Betty Rubble?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bahahaha

@AC 23:24 One new keyboard please.

I can see these boinkbots (tm) being useful for other things.

Such as teleconferencing, why go 4000 miles for a meeting when you can just upload some basic AI to the thing and record + interact with the others at the meeting.

Although it would be hard to keep a straight face when talking to a clone of Betty Rubble complete with cartoon sized jugs.

-AC/DC and when will these be in stores already?

24. Andy Watt
    Stop

Never going to happen.

1. The software will never be reliable enough (no entendre intended)

2. Reality cliff - only people who have never, or rarely, had sex with a real person will consistently use the services of a sexbot - I've seen the latest "avengers assemble" trailers and the hulk still looks like a bluescreened add-on with unconvincing skin (ok, he's green, but see my point?). It'll take a lot longer for the reality cliff to get bridged (sorry about the metaphor) as the closer you get, the further away it seems (the more subtle the dissonance, the more unsettling it is).

Also, I reckon if it did ever happen (allowing this idea for a moment) it'd generate a whole new class of personality disorders and artificial psychoses resulting in a lot of very damaged individuals.

25. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Terminator

shirley shome mistake...

"Anther economic by product would be a whole new IT/robotics industry vertical based on the creation, servicing and upgrading on fleets of humanised, sexualised, android sex armies."

Surely it would be a horizontal market?

26. CaptSmegHead
    Happy

VoiceBox

Will they come with a voice saying "me sucky sucky you ten dolla " ?

1. Thorne

Re: VoiceBox

And for a bit more "Me love you long time"

27. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

2050 is in fact 38 years from now!

Relevant sci-fi story: "Manners of the Age", by H. B. Fyfe, 1952. Creepy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.