back to article Sony 'fesses to Whitney Houston price hike 'error'

Sony Music has finally issued a statement on hiking the price of tragic pop songstress Whitney Houston's albums after her death, apologising for the "error" in the iTunes listing. On Monday, reporters fell over themselves to reveal that the price of Houston's Ultimate Collection had gone from £4.99 to £7.99 in the UK's Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple

Roses increase tenfold in price for valentines day due to people wanting them, why not profit from a new demand on dead singers works? The Jackson, Presley and Spencer families all made a profit from their loved ones deaths, and Sony, EMI and souvenir hunters put more money into promoting them than the families ever did, just getting a good return on their investments

2. Purlieu

re: Simple

There's a world of difference between a bunch of roses and the still-warm corpse of a pop star. But perhaps ethics are not you stong subject.

3. min

So the woman's dead...

and demand for her music has increased for some odd reason. do people feel some moral obligation to formalize their love for the dead artist by buying her music when, for the last few years, they've probably thought she is a sad and washed up fart teetering on the verge of a life-expunging event. maybe there are a few from a new generation who've truly just discovered her, but that is probably a small amount of the people who're buying her music now.

the rest of them, i reckon, are joining the boat-party of faux grief. which is pathetic.

i know i'll get down-voted, but i could not care less about a long term drug addict finally (and successfully) putting herself out of whatever misery causes her to trip out all day long.

as for the record company..they're just taking advantage of what they know is the inevitable deluge of attention that her death would have brought. callous, yes, but not the worst thing in the world. what they SHOULD have done, though, was reduced the price of the music in order to let these short terms 'fans' to celebrate the artistic life of the addict for a little while before the next wash up rolls along.

some similar hysteria took place when that horrid Amy Wine-river died and she's obscure as truffles now.

both the buyers and the record companies are dubious in my book and i'm not afraid to be hated for feeling that way.

4. Bernard M. Orwell
    Coat

Prepares coat....

Problem? We have a Houston...

5. The Original Cactus
    Holmes

Cynical, moi?

The one thing I took away from this story is that I could (if I wanted) buy Whitney Houston compilations on iTunes for four or five quid. You can't buy that kind of advertising.

6. Spider
    WTF?

My initial reaction to this was " mistakenly mis-priced"? My fat hairy arse it was, you lying thieving gits. Much as many of the comments I've read so far....

then, after the brief glow of righteous indignation had faded it does occur to me,

it's not an essential good. You do not require a Whitney album to survive. It is discretionary and a luxury item.

Companies exist to do business and make profit, and if the sheeple in their faux grief at the loss of an alleged lesbian drug addled singer are prepared to pay then why shouldn't a company take that market on? After all they are not a charity.

Should we also cap prices on fleabay of people clearing out whitney tat from their attics? where's the difference?

Ultimately they can put any price they like on a good or service. No-one is forced to buy it.

1. Mad Mike

:@Spider

To a point, I don't disagree, but there has to be a limit on what is acceptable and the question is, where's that line. Some will find almost anything acceptable, others have a very moral and righteous perspective. You could say funeral directors are making a profit out of a dead person.........

I guess it depends a bit on how obviously it's done. Because this was highly obvious and done by a company that's already hated, it's got a certain response. The equivalent would be a funeral director talking to you about your dead relative and then saying the price in the brochure has gone up by 20% because it's your mum etc.

Sony have a proven history of being morally bankrupt in just about every way, treating their customers like dirt and generally doing anything for money. This is just another potential example. To all of those saying this was automatic, I don't believe it. They knew what they were doing and their statement actually supports that. If it were an automated process, they would have said so in their statement as this is far more justifiable and defencible than what they actually said. They would have said, 'An automated process mistakenly adjusted the price. We've now corrected that and refunded the difference for anybody who purchased it at the wrong price'.

That would have been great PR for Sony and would have shown an entirely different face. Their failure to take the obvious and defencible position very strongly suggests automation wasn't involved.

There has to be some sort of morality brought back into business, as otherwise, things will just continue to get worse and worse in the rampant drive towards profit. Yes, make a profit, but a sensible and reasonable one within reasonable moral grounds. If energy companies are making huge profits (and they are!!) out of gas and electricity, are they not at least a little culpable for the poor pensioners freezing to death for lack of money to pay for it? There has to be a moral compass somewhere.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess that explains...

...why all of a sudden every radio was playing a twenty year old song the other day. It is possible the DJs explained she'd popped it, but as it was all in a foreign language I remained clueless until I came here to get my dose of IT news.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like