Ye Bug List

Shaun's tried to post this on the Boot's thread: Philosophy is not dead, it just smells funny. I see an "Approve" and "Reject" buttons - not sure why - but Approve doesn't work. Did it trip a spam checker?

This topic was created by Andrew Orlowski .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Gotcha or policy re. deleted comments?

I deleted a post, and that was my only post to a topic. To me, that topic shouldn't show up in the "my topics" list, but that's maybe a matter of interpretation. Maybe one for the "things we fix when we get bored" list?

(there is a slight delta here - I tried to edit that post first, but then got the edit rejected as the time window has expired, not sure if that is of any consequence).

FF

1. Vic

Re: Gotcha or policy re. deleted comments?

> To me, that topic shouldn't show up in the "my topics" list

I actually prefer that it does.

I might have deleted my only contribution - usually because it's attracting downvotes from people who emote rather than think - but it's still a topic that has attracted my attention enough to want ot post to it, so I still like to see what's going on.

Vic.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Thoughts about ignoring "anonymous"

Even anon users are logged in as someone, so maybe you could work with that when someone clicks the "ignore" button? You can still keep the representation of that specific UID away from anyone else to preserve the anonymity, yet have an "ignore" that does what it says on the tin (so to speak).

Having said that, I haven't found a real reason to ignore someone. I rather know what they're trying to say behind my back, and the site's culture and structure tends to eventually chuck out the truly objectionable characters anyway (part of the reason it has become the popular hangout it is), so for me the ignore thing is a less relevant function.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thoughts about ignoring "anonymous"

We have thought about ignoring anonymous posters - and we're still thinking.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Thoughts about ignoring "anonymous"

Drew,

There is a way that you could use this to identify who the anon is - assuming they ever use their real handle on posts. You'd have to be pretty determined to do it, and not have too much of a life...

One pooter logged on as you, with your anon post on ignore. Another pooter not logged in, then you compare forums until you find a post from a user that's missing from the other PC. Aha, we've found the handle of our anon friend.

Of course you could stop this by handling the anon posts and handle posts separately for ignoring purposes. Or just decide that it's too much effort for too little risk.

But there might be a risk to regular posters who go anon to dish the dirt on their own employers, as happens occasionally. And the big ones with online reputation management bods might even be determined enough to go digging.

Am I being paranoid here? Or am I not being paranoid enough...

3. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

A 404 that isn't, found in Cafè Vulture

Cafè Vulture / Chew the Fat.

I have a feeling this was an unclean and probably a tad hasty removal of a topic that I would have considered objectionable (as most decent people, I would imagine). The problem is that it seems to have left some residue, and a cache refresh doesn't help - this stuff is still served.

Page URL: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/11/24/MyBackDoor_The_male_psyche_and_rape/

What is produced:

Gone

The requested resource

/forum/1/2012/11/24/MyBackDoor_The_male_psyche_and_rape/

is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A 404 that isn't, found in Cafè Vulture

Thanks for the tip.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

New Editing Bug

I've just spotted a bug in editing. When I edit a post, and hit submit, it takes me to the post's own page, rather than back to the thread in context.

However, what it takes you to is the page of the old, un-edited post. When I checked I'd got the change right, it wasn't showing. Until I checked it again via my posts list.

5. Vimes

Not sure if this is a bug or whether I'm missing something, but I seem to have lost the ability to post any HTML as the tags just get displayed when previewing the post

(I only tend to use tags like b and i - not the sort of thing that should cause any issues I think - and I would prefer to avoid posting messages that I can't edit if it's going to be poorly laid out because of HTML tags being displayed instead of actually formatting the text).

I also seem to have lost the ability to start new topics.

If this is just a boneheaded mistake on my part and I have missed something then please could somebody point me in the right direction? If its not and it's also not a bug then what did I do to be limited in this way?

Clicking on your username, that's because you joined today, and only have 5 posts. Which is odd, given I'm certain I've seen your posts before. Can you see more than 5 of your previous posts? As they've disappeared for me.

The Reg has made you an un-person...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

privileges removed

recently we changed account privileges, awarding by commentard handle, rather than by account. There is a discussion of this contained within this thread.

It looks like you changed your public handle recently.

The good news is that you can start topics after having five comments accepted under your current handle.

The bad news is that you need to have 100 comments accepted before we allow live html.

I will check what changes if any have been any recent changes about html - I thought that sprung into live after five public comments accepted too.

Also our house rules / FAQ may give you some more pointers.

6. Swizzer
    Facepalm

Android app won't start

Hi,

Since a few weeks now, I can't use the register app for android on any of my devices.

WiFi, 3g same issue.

Each time I try to run it, I get "page not found, please try again later", then the app closes.

I am based in Switzerland if that makes any difference.

Works fine from a browser pc or android.

7. Steve Knox

New comments box on hardware pages seems buggy in Opera and IE

When there are no comments, the box code looks like this (spaces added to stop site from actually parsing HTML):

< div class="comment_block">< /div>

and indeed there is no link to post a comment. At first I thought comments were disabled, but upon returning to a page later, I saw the quote box with the number and link, and indeed the source for an article where comments have been posted looks like:

< div class="comment_block">< div class="comments">< a class="count " title="View comments on this article" href="..../">22< /a>< div>< /div>

Next I thought this was a script incompatibilty with Opera (12.13), but it also happens in IE 9 (only other browser I currently have on this machine, sorry.)

1. Steve Knox

Re: New comments box on hardware pages seems buggy in Opera and IE

Oh yeah, just remembered I now have an iPhone (again, sorry). This is also how it looks in Safari: no initial comments link.

8. BlueGreen

New site layout slightly knackered w/o jscript

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/08/game_column_feb/> auto-borks with images not resizing so spreading out over right margin. You surely don't need js to resize images...

On win2k8, browser is FX 10.0.12 ESR.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: New site layout slightly knackered w/o jscript

Different parts of the site will have different widths; our web team opted to use JS to resize pics as required.

The print version of the page doesn't require JS TTBOMK

eg: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/08/game_column_feb/print.html

C.

9. StanBumps
    Black Helicopters

No way to create a new thread?!

I can find no button or link when signed in to create a new forum thread. This might be something on my side as I see others creating threads, but I've tried across IE 10, Firefox 19 and Opera 12 all to no avail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No way to create a new thread?!

So, StanBumps, you currently have 4 comments accepted for publication.

Check our house rules

<snip>

Create a new topic

You can start a new topic if you have at least five posts accepted and published. (Withdrawing your fifth post will remove the permission.) After your fifth post is accepted it takes up to one hour for the new permission to take effect. Click on Forums home page log-in. The Create a new topic link lives in the Forums Box on the right hand side of the page.

</snip>

The five comments threshold is there to catch out spammers.

1. StanBumps
        Thumb Up

Re: No way to create a new thread?!

Ah, I see, my apologies.

Thanks Drewc for your response.

10. BenM 29 Silver badge

expand/minimise comment behavior

Hi,

The behaviour of expand/minimise comment behaviour appears to have changed in the last day or so.

On desktop/Ubuntu/chrome 23.0.1271.17 it works as expected - hit the expand/minimise link and comment expands/contracts with no fuss.

On galaxy sIII with T-Mobile jelly bean and chrome 25.0.1364.169 expand increases the space properly but shrinks the font size from small to miniscule. Minimise reduces the expanded space a bit but the font remains shrunken.

On Windows 7 chrome 24.0.132.57 the link behaves properly.

This could be a chrome bug rather than El Reg... but you are better placed to report that than me.

As an old-ish git I would like the font size to remain fixed or i will have to start carrying a magnifying glass as well as the phone!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: expand/minimise comment behavior

We'll check it out,

thanks,

Drew

11. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Small edit tweak - feature or bug?

I noticed that the anon status of a post cannot be changed when you haul it back into edit mode. If the author forgets to tick the "post anon" box (or has done the opposite), the only option at present is to pull the post completely because the changed status of the tick box is not recognised.

Feature? :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Small edit tweak - feature or bug?

Fred, this is not an intended feature. We'll fix.

12. jake Silver badge

Dunno how far back in the thread ElReg looks ...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1777093

13. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Badge-y bug

Dear El Reg,

It looks like your badge-making script is sadly not working properly. I noticed this post complaining about lack of bronze badge, and then three more people in another thread: here, here and here.

Remember what happened to Microsoft when they forgot to keep running their browser choice script. Just think how much the EU might fine you for failing to badge-ify your commentards as promised!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Badge-y bug

We'll get on the case.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Thumb Up

Thanks Drew, received the confirm last night.

Now to find something else to rant about.

/me searches for global warming thread.

Happy

Ah, you've been enobled. Admitted to the order of the bronze vulture.

By the way, turkey vultures cool themselves by urinating on their own legs. I believe that this is obligatory, once you've joined the Register's secret club. You might smell a bit, but you'll be the coolest cat in the computer room...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Badge-y bug - fixed

As of April 8.

Thanks for the catch.

14. Dave 62

I can't log in. (Trying to report a post which is obviously spam from a crank/vapour ware pedlar, I'll let you guess who) and I'm told I have to be logged in. I also, on the right side little log-in box get "Welcome, since when?. (Not you? Log in here.)" I've always had the Welcome, (with no name).

Anyway I try to log in and it don't work. No wrong password message, just keeps refreshing the same screen.

ur website is broked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is a new one

Forwarding to our tech team, who might contact you by email for more details.

15. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Trollface

HTML posting problem

When I try to post comments with the <blink>tag</blink>, it doesn't seem to work. Please could El Reg look into this.

I noticed your article on how Firefox were phasing it out, and thought it needed a last hurrah.

Pwetty pllllleeeeeeeeaaassse.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: HTML posting problem

No. Please do NOT enable blink. Like disco, it still sucks.

On the other hand, it's a useful "nothing to see here, move on" wetware filter ;-)

Happy

Re: HTML posting problem

Spoilsport!

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Dave 62

Click "withdraw"

Click "return to forum"

page keeps reloading.

same if you click the second "withdraw" (and by the way the withdraw confirmation screen is not very.. ergonomic (or a similar word to that))

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the spot?

Browser /OS?

1. Dave 62

Re: Thanks for the spot?

sorry, I keep forgetting when I post here.

Win 7 and FF 22.0

19. thosrtanner

Continually being asked to approve cookies

Started today. Pretty much every time I open a page from my RSS feed, I get a little box saying do I want cookies (it would be more honest to say "this site uses cookies whether you like it nor not. if you don't, go away)

1. Matt@ElReg

Re: Continually being asked to approve cookies

Hi thosrtanner,

Do you mean the little bar at the foot of the page?

The text reads "The Register uses cookies. Some may have been set already. Read about managing our cookies. Please click the button to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept the cookies anyway."

The bar should stick around until you dismiss it by clicking "I'm fine with this", and then shouldn't bother you again. It does in itself require a cookie though (to remember that you're ok with cookies!). If this cookie is deleted, the bar will reappear.

1. thosrtanner

Yes, that bar. It keeps coming up. I thought I'd clicked "I'm OK with this" several times today, unless my glasses need fixing

1. Matt@ElReg

Thanks thosrtanner,

We did roll out some site changes the other day, so it's possible we've broken something. I can't replicate the problem at the moment though. What OS & Browser were you using?

1. thosrtanner

firefox 22 on windows 7.

2. thosrtanner

Still getting this problem (firefox 23 now and windows 7)

1. thosrtanner

appears to have magically fixed itself today

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Continually being asked to approve cookies

I am not sure that we did anything!

1. thosrtanner
                  Unhappy

And it's unfixed itself today :-(

2. thosrtanner

I can reproduce this consistently by clicking on the red title bar. It (re)loads the front page and immediately pops up with a request for cookie confirmation

2. thosrtanner

Still happening (firefox 22, windows 7) so it's not my fingers.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.