Feeds

back to article Raspberry Pi Linux micro machine enters mass production

CES 2012 Week The Rapberry Pi Foundation has begun manufacturing its pocket-sized Linux-based micro in volume, with the first batch set to roll off the line by the end of the month. The charity revealed the news this week after finalising payment details, stating its Dyson-esque regret that Raspberry Pi production had to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

I would quite like to buy one of these, but the only thing stopping me is it's inability to playback Hi10P video.

And what with h.265 being developed...

Anonymous Coward

And a second-hand server off eBay isn't going to run Amazon.

So?

MAME console??

So I have a PC behind my TV running MAME and a couple of home made joystick boards. Baesd on the number of low powered old games that I play (Invaders, Asteroids), it will be interesting to see this board fired up to play Mame.

Then I could build the entire system into the underside of a joystick board.

Anonymous Coward

Damn you Nick Woodruffe..

I'm going to have to order another two now!

FAIL

HDMI???

I can only see component video on the picture accompanying this piece. Same goes for the 'this is what it really looks like' pics posted later

HDMI1.3a incuded as standard on both Model-A & -B

Standard HDMI connector, onboard video decodes at 1080p 60Hz no problem. Will play back video at that rate while consuming less than 1 watt and generating next to no heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TgR74Kp6Ws4

There's also a video showing it playing Quake 3 Arena at about 20fps too. Apparently it can perform faster but there was a problem with a specific library holding it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e_mDuJuvZjI

I expect MAME would be a walk in the park for the Pi, looking forward to that too.

FAIL

@Rogueelement eyesight fail..

See the board at the top of the article?

See that silver rectangle on the bottom centre of the card?

Yup!! THAT'S the HDMI socket (hint you're looking down at the top of it rather than into the port as you usually see one.)

Should have gone to Specsavers ^_~

Offer UK manufactured versions?

Just an idea... After the initial manufacturing run, why not offer the A+B versions for sale as UKA+UKB also? Manufactured in the UK, would cost more (~£5?) but you would have the choice to buy British if you wanted and have your Pi with 'Designed and Built in the UK" on the PCB. Shirley any purchases for UK schools etc would go for one of these and would also serve to highlight the cost differences which could then be discussed and brought to the attention of the Govt. Would be interesting to see what difference the price would make to the demand of the UK and non-UK versions. Waiting for my RasPi model UKB

Anonymous Coward

Yeah great use of tax money

Schools paying more to have 'built in the UK' on their PCB - yeah great use of tax payers money.

Yeah, it is actually...

You see, the whopping extra £5 or so the tax payer could choose to pay for a UK built version goes towards:-

a) UK taxes on imported components.

b) Paying for it to built by a UK company which pays UK taxes.

c) Built by UK workers who pay UK taxes.

d) Being proud to be British.

Also, I'm sure most people in the here would buy a UK version. You never know, you may get a fair few overseas sales too. Its a win all-round IMHO. Lets just have the choice.

You sir are a buffoon.

Silver badge

a)->c) Very True

But given the choice of two identical boards, one $35 and one $45, which one would you buy?

Most people when given the choice, buy the cheapest. It's human nature.

FAIL

Buffoon indeed.

Look, if some of you people took the time to read about the device and the ethos behind it, it would perhaps eventually dawn on you that these things are aimed fairly and squarely at school children. Not for hobbyists or engineers or any other adequately paid contributor to these pages but school children. I take it you've heard about them before, people that have little income of their own to splash out on patriotic gestures be it to British industry or UK tax. The idea is, and always was, to produce the device at the lowest price possible thereby enabling education establishments to provide children with a programming/development platform. So cheap in fact that it could be viable to give it free of charge, depending on the schools budget.

If you want to contribute to to the treasury, gift them a fiver when you buy your own.

Anonymous Coward

Education is their goal, yes

But they are definitely going for enthusiasts for the first couple of batches. There will be an education launch later in the year.

Boffin

Based on the link

to the Python-based Squirrel Defence System, it seems that the Russians may want to buy up a shed-load of these to help with their space programme.

Anonymous Coward

I hope they make the case see-through

A see-through case might not be quite as drop-proof, but who cares -- seeing the bits inside makes it much more appealing to youngsters.

(I have a limited-edition Psion Organiser II with see-through casing, and just looking at it makes me want to write OPL.)

Silver badge

The problem with the case

First of all you can most likely fit it into any standard plastic case which you can get for free from companies making plastic cases. (If they believe you might buy a couple of dozends eventually)

Second, that board gets much of its value from not having a pre-made case. It means you can put it into just about any case. It can be anything, from a simple embedded module, to a palmtop. Just put it into whatever case you want.

I'm sure within months people will come up with all sorts of cases for it. For me, I'd prefer a little palmtop case where I could put in a small LCD and keyboard.

Silver badge
Linux

For those of you

who find i hard to see a board as a computer have a look at

www.linuxfordevices.com

you will find more information about the raspberry too.

Pint

Can't wait to order one

As other posters have said, so many things this could be used for. The fact it comes without a case only makes it more useful - think about plugging in sensors to record temperature, pressure, light, movement.

Then you can start building programmable heated coffee mugs, toasters, remote control toys, lamps, blinds... basically think of any piece of furniture or dumb gadget you have and how it could be improved if you were able to add a computer, or program it with some complex instructions - without having to buy an expensive off-the-shelf solution.

This could spur a whole new generation of inventors... the only danger is becoming a generation of bankrupts who got sued for some kind of patent infringement for doing something obvious *with a computer*.

Alien

Toasters

Reminds me of Red Dwarf...

Anonymous Coward

Are you sure you don't want any toast?

How about a muffin?

No case?

Seriously, people are worried about no case?

I'm using a spare hole in the pcb and nailing it to a shelf.

Silver badge
Happy

Someone worried about not having a case, is clearly defining themselves as someone this delightful project is NOT intended for.

Trollface

I bet it can't handle...

...full bitrate 60FPS x264 high@L4.1

But I would be happy if it handled up to 30FPS.

Also will it play 24Hz and 50Hz? Otherwise it's no good to me as a media decoder.

anyone remember that bloke who was making that homemade pulse jet cruise missile?

im sure he would love this

Silver badge

Funny fact

I work at a company that produces electronics in Germany. We don't shift our production to China because it would be more expensive and the turnaround times are so much higher.

Meh

Funny fact 2

in my company, which has major hubs in the UK, NY and Singapore, we get the majority of our product from China, because it is cheaper and suppliers seems to react faster. On the flipside, i have a contract in SG atm because there has been a growing number of counterfeit products coming through.... they are getting better and better too.

Anonymous Coward

"We don't shift our production to China because it would be more expensive and the turnaround times are so much higher."

Germany does a great many things better than UK plc of late.

The Raspberry Pi folks report that the UK manufacturers could offer fast turnround but there was a very significant price penalty to pay. That's the way UK management sees "markets" - scalp for revenue, forget fair and reasonable leading to loyalty.

Anonymous Coward

Not that it's the entire reason and not to disagree with you entirely but there's those damn yooman rights, scads of environmental legislation and elfin safety laws in the UK that the far eastern manufacturers seem to play fast and loose with to add to the cost as well, not to mention the ludicrous tax laws.

A nasty, cynical person might also suggest that some 'UK' assemblers would ship the stuff off to the far east to be stuck together too and just make a profit on the handling for little actual effort.

An EU wide manufacturing problem not a UK problem

The import problem is across the whole EU and it has been there for decades! Clive Sinclair used to moan about it!

Unhappy

Sad state of the UK whten to see statments like this.

"Raspberry Pi production had to be moved overseas due to the high cost of building the wee device in the UK. "

No wonder we import everything and manufacture nothing! :(

and I want mine with Wifi god-dam-it! :)

Anonymous Coward

I think there is a market for these things

I think there is a market for about five of these things world wide.

And then another five.

And then another.

Arduino's got something, but for most people in most places, this has got more.

Anonymous Coward

"Most people when given the choice, buy the cheapest. It's human nature."

Most people aren't given the chance to make a fully informed choice. It's the inhuman nature of the advertising/marketing business.

E.g. suppose Tesco sells their own brand Widget X for £20, made in China.

Aldi/Lidl sells something comparable with Widget X, made in EU. Suppose it's £22.

Which do you think sensible fully informed people might buy?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.