back to article What should a sci-fi spaceship REALLY look like?

People making sci-fi movies have it easy. If you’re designing alien technology, not even the most determined pedant could claim with any authority to know how a real Imperial TIE fighter might look. tie_fighter The TIE fighter (as imagined by George Lucas). If you’re making a film about war, or journalism, or (especially …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All this reminds me...

...of a fantastic joke from Futurama, when the ship is being dragged underwater by a giant fish and starts to creak under the pressure.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!

Fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Well, it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one.

2. TheOtherHobbbes

The idea

that spaceships are big objects made of metal - or its unobtanium meta-equivalent - has held film SF in a retro-conservative loop for the past few decades.

Real spaceships, if they exist, are probably invisible and/or made of something so strange it has no familiar properties.

Once you crack light speed, all bets are off with supporting technologies.

Big metal boxes - or spheres, or blocky shapes with pointy aerials or glowing nacelles to indicate how technological they are - won't be on the menu.

Alien technology probably won't even look like technology at all. You're more likely to experience it in totally unexpected ways than as something you can pick apart with a spanner.

(And it won't have hexagonal corridors, either.)

1. Asiren
      Paris Hilton

Isn't there that saying...

that magic is just technology you don't understand?

<-- Because everything is magic.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

50% of the object you can see right now

are tardises.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oooops one more

The stunningly beautiful Cygnus from 'The Black Hole' - it's like the Crystal Palace has been fitted with a warp drive.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/cygnus%20black%20hole/redrockerjr5150/cygnus_1.jpg

And if I'm allowed just one more? The Orion Spaceplane from 2001 - so beautiful, so very nearly possible.

http://www.scifiairshow.com/ships-orion.html

4. Zmodem

need something like the stealth bomber, which is what most aurora vids look like, ships need stream lining for a electro magnet force field, if you are picking up speed, the force field will just be a pocket of plasma from sun and all other gravitational fields and aero dynamics are needed if you want to fly through atmospheres

5. Nextweek
    Mushroom

Safety first

I've always thought that the Star trek design was a very safe design, the radiation risk means you want your engines away from the propulsion and living quarters.

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

General Products

A #3 sounds like the best bet as a #4 hull could be a little difficult to park (but you wouldn't have to worry about dings and dents)

1. Munchausen By Taxi

Never buy dodgy hulls from a Puppeteer.

If I remember rightly, they're not much use near neutron stars or anti-matter planets.

1. Poor Coco

The hull was indeed NFG around antimatter; but it was perfectly functional when it impacted the neutron star. Then same, however, could not be said for the contents, which crushed into neutronium at the nose. Also, the reason that craft crashed was the tidal effect from passing too close to the neutron star.

7. Matthew 3

Red Dwarf

Surely the most accurate representation of all?

No poncy aerodynamics and a plausible way of powering itself indefinitely. Plus it accurately portrays what we could expect from both feline evolution and human interaction.

8. Sampler

Red Dwarf or Battlestar Galatica - both unmentioned and I'd go for fairly realistic depictions of starcraft, though if you want balls to the wall crazy design you also have the cyclon base stars..

9. Alastair Dodd 1

hmm facts a bit wrong but entertaining read

‘engine on a stick’ approach was an influence on other TV sci-fi shows such as Blake’s 7 and (later) Firefly.

In Firefly the main engine is the rear bulbous abdomen, the engines on a stick are maneuvering thrusters and rotatable so make perfect sense

10. Plonkybear
    FAIL

Have I overlooked the Red Dwarf......

.....or have you?

11. Chronos
    Joke

No mention...

...of the small rouge one? Fie! For shame! ;o)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No mention of the C57-D from Forbidden Planet?

Not just a flying saucer, but *gasp* one of ours.

Also in the vein of that big bugger in Avatar is the Athena in Soderbergh's Solaris, which looks suspiciously like the offspring of the British Interplanetary Foundation's Daedalus probe and an Orion capsule, with the addition of an entire Maplins' catalogue of LEDs in the cockpit.

1. E Haines

Er, yes. The ship in Forbidden Planet was in fact mentioned.

13. mark 63 Silver badge
    Meh

Firefly

I'm upset to to see "serenity" lumped in with a load of unrealistic looking ships, including the enterprise , because:

a) that ship, like some of the others , lands on planets with atmospheres, therefore may be due a little aerodynamics

b) those engines arnt on sticks for the sake if it , its so they can be rotated to change direction

c) It's the only TV series , and probly one of the only films to acknowledge the "no sound in space" law.

14. Martin Howe
    Go

Spherical space ships

The Death Star. Just THE DEATH STAR. (OK it was an oblate spheroid, but close enough)

The Borg cube is very efficient in terms of volume usage, but if the DS were that shape, the audience would likely not accept it as a spaceship. (Though given how weird most stuff in SW is, who knows?)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

STARGATE!

What about the vast variety of ships in the SG franchise?

16. Ian Yates

Starfuries

How have you not mentioned a design that (allegedly) NASA have expressed actual interest in producing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfury#Real_world_interest

Can't find the relevant quote, but it was something to do with the design actually taking in to account the difference in how a spaceship would handle in and out of atmosphere.

17. Jedit Silver badge
    Megaphone

Not enough love for Babylon 5

Mentioning that the station itself was realistic because it revolved to generate gravity is not enough. The Starfury space fighter was also complimented by NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab for being an absolutely spot on design for a small, manoeuvrable craft for use in zero gravity.

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

About the Star Furies...

I heard, back in the 90s, that JPL had actually asked JMS if they could use the Star Fury design as the basis of an actual orbital maneuvering unit prototype, and he told them, yes they could, but only on the proviso that they officially called it a Star Fury. I don't know if they ever went ahead with it or not, or even if it was just an urban myth, but I found it interesting at the time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also from Babylon 5 - the Shadows had nicely mad looking ships:

https://commerce35.pair.com/mrwong/wiki/index.php/File:Shadowship1.jpg

Volrons has some interesting organic/sentient ships too.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Boffin

Mad, yes ...

... but not exactly realistic.

Interesting factoid: Foundation Imaging took the texture for the Shadow vessels from a dog's nose.

3. Robert E A Harvey
      Happy

I had a lot of time for B5.

It was written like a novel, with a start, a whole bunch of middles, and an end.

The spaceships were variously feasible or deeply cool, and sometimes both.

I just think they must have regretted the silly hairdos & cloak clad oddities by the end.

18. Sgt_Oddball

The oversized elephant in the room

Has anyone thought of Red Dwarf yet? A behemoth of a ship, designed to never touch atmosphere, collect hydrogen from a frontal scoop and took so long to build in space that the exterior hull is a mass of different design styles and new ideas thought up while the ship was being built.

It was also designed to consume astroids whole by attaching them to the exterior of the hull and have it be processed there.

As for up or down, that all depends on what angle on the six sided ship you approach it from and is mearly a matter of perspective.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well if we're gonna mention RD

Then I HAVE to put forward Starbug - because it's cool, and silly, bllody indesctructable (how many times does it crash land?!) and gets improbably larger as the series' progress!

19. TRT Silver badge
    Angel

Of course the greatest & best ship...

would be able to alter its appearance in order to fit the mission profile. For example it could land in, ooh, let's say 1950s/60s London where it would assume the shape of, maybe, a Police Call Box. Problem is, the circuit that achieves this might well get stuck.

1. Xenobyte

Adapt its shape... Something like "Max" from Disney's "Flight of The Navigator"? - Whenever it had to go really fast it altered its shape to become much more streamlined.

20. ph0b0s

What should a sci-fi spaceship REALLY look like? Still waiting...

So after reading 4 pages of sci-fi ship design history, the actual question that was asked in the headline hardly gets answered, except to say the ship for Avatar and 2001. Thanks for the time waste.

1. LaeMing

Just for those of us who can't handle open-ended questions without a temper tantrum:

The answer to the article's title question is "Yes"

or

"42"

2. Robert E A Harvey
      Thumb Up

I'll give you an answer.

Only one answer really. Anastasia, Dan Dare's private spaceyacht

http://www.dan-dare.org.uk/anastasia.htm

http://spaceshipaway.org.uk/centre-spreads/centrespreads-4.htm

21. CD001

Why limit yourself to film/tv?

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/screenshots/x_rebirth_screen_014.jpg

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/screenshots/x_rebirth_screen_001.jpg

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/screenshots/x_rebirth_screen_004.jpg

22. Qwelak

Babylon 5

As I recall the StarFurys from Babylon 5 were quoted by a NASA boffin as being pretty well as they may design a future starfighte. Having thrusters on the wing tips for maneuveriing and proper newtonian fligth machanics.

23. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

title

I would have thought the fighters and cruisers of Babylon five would have been more realistic for what Earth will come up with, or the Stargate earth destroyer etc. Or those ships from space above and beyond. Lets be honest when we get round to making them, we will go for form over function and like ship design for the passed hundred years we will get large ugly looking rectangles that serve a purpose.

Though for me the Avatar ship and the explorer vessel from B5 look the most realisic option for long range deep space missions, far more realistic that star trek etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

B5

Omega class destroyer, FTW!

24. gjwolfswinkel
    Go

Games..

There's some pretty wacky designs out there in, for example, Eve Online. Would be interesting to compare some of those to these movie ships too.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course, all these designs are incredibly primitive ...

A real "starship" should be a small blue wooden box. With a couple of clapperboard doors. That is also absolutely indestructible. Cast into existence by block transfer mathematics.

That would be true sophistication.

26. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Stop

@Ru & Roke re Nostromo, + JMC Red Dwarf

The Reg have pictured the Nostromo correctly. Roke has linked an image to what the Nostromo was towing- i.e some sort of planet / refinery thing.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/324661/alien_the_history_of_the_nostromo_by_ron_cobb.html

and link at bottom of page for Chris Foss' version of the same events.

And speaking of mining ships, JMC Mining Ship Red Dwarf, apparently some kind 'Hydrogen Funnel' design, hence its shape. No need for streamlining. Not sure why Lister has to paint it.

-'STOP' icon, because there's no 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers'

1. Sooty

apparently some kind 'Hydrogen Funnel' design

A bussard ramjet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet.

2. Vic

> Not sure why Lister has to paint it.

Because he put hallucinogenic mushrooms in Rimmer's breakfast.

Vic.

3. LaeMing
      Happy

Lister has to paint it because

he is being punished for infracting rule 5674.7b - no crewmember shall enter a zero-gravity area wearing a tennis skirt.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No need for aerodynamics?

No need for aerodynamics in space? OK.

But if solar sails work, and we're led to believe that they do, aren't aerodynamics to be replaced with solardynamics?

Just a thought.

28. TonkaToys
    Terminator

No mention of Farscape then?

Intelligent organisms as spacecraft.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guns

Whoever designed Nero's ship for JJ Abrams "Star Trek" clearly took Douglas Adams maxim about the design of weapons to heart; It should have a right end, and a wrong end, and if it was pointed at you, you should be in no doubt as to which was which.

30. Captain TickTock
    FAIL

Silicon Graphics Workstation?

Now there's a budget production

Can't afford anything remotely new!

31. Sean Baggaley 1

Space may not *require* notions of "up" and "down"...

... but Homo Sapiens certainly does.

This is basic cognitive science and psychology: humans evolved to walk on the crust of a planet. We haven't been brachiating for a very, very long time. This is bound to have an effect on how we design vehicles for any medium.

Aliens would likely have followed a different evolutionary path, so that will have a huge bearing on how they design their own travelling machines.

The TARDIS is a good example of the kind of lateral thinking you might see: why send the entire ship hurtling about the multiverse when you could achieve exactly the same results by keeping the ship tucked into a hidden dimension or 14, and move its cosmic user interface around the usual time-space frame of reference we're all familiar with instead?

Why SF has become so fixated on unfeasibly large boxes farting about through "hyperspace" (or some effectively synonymous equivalent) is beyond me. Doctor Who is actually quite refreshing in that sense. An alien is as likely to appear in a child's bedroom cupboard as in a giant spaceship with gigawatts of flashing, blinking, lights.

1. TRT Silver badge

Indeed.

Children of the Dammed anyone?

2. LaeMing

I spent considerable time trying to work out a user-interface for a fictional spaceship for a space-born species that had no sense of up/down (or preference for left/right). With only the fore/aft reference frame left it was beyond me. I eventually had to reinstate up/down (in preference to reinstating a right/left bias) to get anything usable.

Possibly a failure of immagination on my part. Suggestions welcome :-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.