back to article Chief rabbi: Steve Jobs' Apple lust spreads misery, despair

Steve Jobs has created a consumer society that makes many of us sad because we don't have the latest iPhone, said the UK's Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. Speaking at an interfaith gathering attended by the Queen, Sacks compared the iPad to the tablets of the Ten Commandments that Moses brought down from the mountains. “The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Vic

> And it costs me £10/month for unlimited data and texts (and I even get 250 minutes

> to "talk" inot it like a phone!)

Which is *exactly* the same deal I am offered. I currently use an HTC Desire (not sure if that's staying or not - the ability to run SSH tunnels is rather handy, though).

Except that the minimum period for me is - one month. I can pick and choose what I want to spend. Currently, I'm spending quite a bit less by not trying to get any "unlimited" offers...

Vic.

1. Dan Paul
    Devil

I for one, am waiting for the "Confessional" app from the iPOPE! (Sarcasm)

Though it probably won't make it past the App Nazi's at Apple...

Just think of the benefits of being forgiven for your sins almost immediately after (or even before) committing them. (Though it really smacks of the electronic confessionals in the godaweful movie "Priest")

Isn't this exactly what the dual cameras were intended for? Just subscribe to the new Vatican iConfess service for only $19.95 per month, (airtime and roaming charges may apply) and reach salvation. Remember, to question the Church is to question God, confess now.

The only reason why the good Rabbi is ticked off is that he realizes that Judaeism screwed up when it did not take up the "Confessional" preferring to leave "The Inquisition" to the Jewish Grandmothers (who are second to none when instilling guilt). The Rabbi realizes they are missing a potential revenue stream here.

2. Calum 1
    Devil

unfortunate

it's unfortunate that the rabbi has chosen to make his point in this way. Religious leaders have rhetoric as their bread and butter, but unfortunately this time he's cast criticism on Saint Jobs at a time when he's still the people's princess of Silicon Valley, as it wre, to mix a few metaphors.

He's also wrongly identified Apple as the main (only?) cause of consumerism when in fact it is only a current facade representing consumerism.

If the rabbi wants people to be more spiritual, then rather than taking pot shots at the symptoms, such as iPads et al (and using tired old metaphors such as the "i" one) what he needs to do is foster the uptake of proper spiritual self-enquiry, and the leaving behind of dogmatic monarchical religious structures.

Of course he might find himself out of a job if he did that...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

woah there

All he is saying is that we shouldn't let consumerism get the better of us. He's not really personally attacking Steve Jobs, Apple products or even people that buy apple products. The Chief Rabbi doesn't have issue with people buying stuff it's about where our priorities lye.

The whole thing about Steve Jobs and tablets is an allegorical joke, not a jibe.

4. Thomas Allen
    Facepalm

Why buy a Rolls when a Mini will do?

Why buy a Rolls when a Mini will do? The attack on Apple for pitching a high-end product is misplaced, as many companies pitch their products to the high end, engendering fierce brand loyalty and apparently insane consumer behavior on otherwise normal people. Gotta have Sketchers and not some cheap shoe? Gotta wear chanel and not some cheap brand of perfume? and it goes on and on.

5. Evan Ravitz

Suicides etc at Apple's China factories are the real crime

I agree with the Rabbi, but this is much worse: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382396/Workers-Chinese-Apple-factories-forced-sign-pledges-commit-suicide.html As of May, 14 suicides at an Apple factory in 16 months. Serf labor is the main reason Apple is the highest-"valued" company after Exxon-Mobile.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What do the commenters of El Reg hate more?

Religion, or Apple?

(The two not being mutually exclusive, of course)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like