back to article DNS hijack hits The Register: All well

On early Sunday evening, UK time, The DNS records of many websites, including those of The Register and The Telegraph, were hijacked and redirected to a third party webpage controlled by Turkish hackers. The Register's website was not breached. And as far as we can tell there was no attempt to penetrate our systems. But we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Andy E
    Facepalm

Virgin bloody Media

Still can't access El Reg from any PC or Mac connected to Virgin Media's cable network. The question is do I wan't to waste several hours trying to convince them they have a problem that will not be solved by me rebooting the router and/or the PC?

2. anarchic-teapot

+1

to all the welcomebacks.

I followed the sad tale on Twitter and watched the wave of replication worldwide as the thing spread and subsided. Fascinating to watch, not quite as gripping when you try to describe it to someone else those. Shame.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wear an extra condom

Been using Open DNS and Comodo DNS then changed to Norton DNS after seeing this review. Not quite apples and oranges I know but still a fruity topic and worth mentioning as an extra layer of protection for professionals and small businesses rather than some of you big and clever boys and girls out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OY6v90BfQg

4. Chris Evans
    FAIL

Fail by El Reg!

Like many I couldn't access El Reg all day Monday (Except via Googles cache) But www.reghardware.com had nothing informing us of the situation on their front page, Doh!

Access via 72.3.246.59 or 212.100.234.54 also failed

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fail by El Reg!

access via 72.3.246.59 will fail, but updating your DNS to 72.3.246.59 would work...

But yes, good point about Reg Hardware. Every little helps!

5. JonathanGael

turkish hackers

Nothing is impossible, especially if sloppy programming caused the vulnerability which enabled an SQL injection attack. If we look at the bigger picture, this type of hacking tool is just another form of malware. We offer that Ether2 will enable a path to ensemble computing, where according to Intel research, we will have a higher sensitivity to malware, stronger neighborhood trust models leading to self configuration, and the ability for servers to collaborate in order to defend the network. Secondarily, if it was a DoS attack designed to take the server down by overflowing the buffer, then the fact that nodes can share compute power (basically giving any LAN supercomputing cluster capabilities) would allow load balancing between servers at the edge of the network so the attack couldn’t take hold, and the offending IP addresses could be red flagged, ports blocked, etc. The question about how they got in must be answered. If they sneaked by the session border controller in an encrypted media packet for say a VoIP of video flow, we’ll be running a proprietary watermarking technique to render the executable code inoperable. Then there is the issue of deep packet inspection getting overloaded at the gateway, and Ether2 is 100% distributed so the DPI load would also be running in distributed network chips, as opposed to gateway flooding. In short, we take a more global view on the security issues in networks, and when the network architecture resembles cable TV, it will be a paradigm shift for security.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like