back to article Adobe releases lengthy list of Apple Lion woes

One day after Apple's Mac OS X Lion was released into the wild, Steve Jobs' bête noire, Adobe, has released an extensive list of wounds that the big cat has clawed into its products. The appropriately titled "Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion" is a 1,500-word litany of woe, listing Lion-caused problems in 19 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Hugh McIntyre

Re: Droplets

See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/907/cpsid_90706.html:

"The 12.0.1 update (of CS5?) creates droplets using native code for Intel processors, and can update previously created droplets to use native code for Intel processors.

Solution 1: Update Photoshop CS5 with the latest updates. Then drag your old droplets onto the Photoshop application icon. An updated version of the droplet is created in the same folder as the old one, with (CS5).app at the end of the name."

If you have CS4 or older, you're out of luck.

1. sleepy

Apple is quite good at compatibility

Classic, Rosetta and Carbon are all things Apple did that allowed old Adobe software to run. But Adobe did nothing for ten years to move to OSX's standard APIs. Adobe has hoped for 15 years that Mac would die, all the while getting half their revenue from Mac users. Cynical beancounter logic is what put them in this state, not Apple.

Look how comparatively ruthless Apple is being with Final Cut Pro in order to keep it at the cutting edge. Unlike Apple, Adobe hasn't been engineering-led for over a decade.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

I forsee some whipping.

Let the Adobe hating reignite.

On a side note, complain all you want, if you really hate them, then don't ever use Photoshop or Illustrator.

Not gonna happen is it (for the majority of you)? Doh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Name a decent alternative then...

Go on. You can't. Besides, isn't that tantamount to the "you're doing it wrong" mantra that you and your ilk so relentlessly mock? This isn't, as the title suggests, a "lengthy list of Apple Lion woes", rather an indicator that Adobe are just a bunch of lazy, money grabbing SOB's. They have had access to developer previews (or betas) since at least the very latest March, and it's not a stretch to imagine maybe even before then. Another large software house (I'm under NDA so unable to say who) have managed to get their software up to date, so why not Adobe? I'll tell you why; I'n early April, Adobe release a major update to their CS Suite. They are expecting everyone to upgrade to that. They did it when Microsoft released Vista, and I said exactly the same then. The same software company who I am unable to disclose managed to get their products working on Vista too, with CS3 coming out just after Vista. Adobe are a cluster fuck and someone else needs to take them over. Both Apple and Microsoft have a hole burning in their wallets, and Google would be a better option that the clown-shoes that are Adobe. In fact it could easily be reasoned that Adobe are an abusive monopoly and this is just one aspect of that abuse.

2. nrundy

lol

Adobe makes the crappiest software. Their woes are just proof of this.

Can't wait to be able to go on the web without needing Flash player.

1. Manu T

RE: lol

Flash and Flash player were originally created and invented by MacroMedia NOT Adobe.

It seems Apple fanboys have short memories.

As for alternatives for Adobe's products. There are various alternatives (like Xara's products) especially on Windows (where currently all Adobe development is done). The best known old timer on the DTP scene must be CorelDraw. The program that used to sell new Windows discs like hot cakes. But I seem to remember a similar love-hate relationship with M$ (particularly after M$ decided to undermine Coreldraw's market with their own vector drawing app, Expression Design).

What Apple don't understand is what Matthew Malthouse on his comment "Not quite #" wrote.

Adobe made Apple computers what they are today. if it wasn't for Adobe and Quark then Apple would have been vanished years ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Corrections...

"Flash and Flash player were originally created and invented by MacroMedia NOT Adobe."

It wasn't so much 'created' as bought. It was originally called FutureSplash.

"It seems Apple fanboys have short memories." It's seem that trolls will troll. Fanboys? What are you if not a Windows/Adobe fanboy? Tit.

Flannel, flannel, flannel. (CorelDRAW! has always been considered an amateur package outside it's native Canada.)

"Adobe made Apple computers what they are today. if it wasn't for Adobe and Quark then Apple would have been vanished years ago." Vanished or vanquished? So what you are saying is that Apple now owe Adobe a living? Taking on your logic, were it not for Apple's Macintosh platform, Adobe and Macromind/Macromedia wouldn't have had the platform to establish themselves in the manner that they did. Were it not for Apple going with PostScript (where Adobe really made it's money really came from) then Adobe wouldn't have become the financially abusive, unwieldy mass of lazy and incompetent developers that it has become.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like