back to article Rebekah Brooks quits - Murdoch accepts this time

News International boss Rebekah Brooks, who has been at the centre of the phone-hacking scandal, has resigned from her post and apologised for the "hurt" her company had caused to crime victims and others. She confirmed in an internal memo to staff this morning that she was leaving the sister company of Rupert Murdoch's News …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to Private Eye.....

she was about to go on maternity leave shortly anyway, so the effect to the business is more or less the same.

Watch for her in another Murdoch empire job soon as the fuss dies down.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Alert

Re: According to Private Eye.....

Maternity leave? But that would mean that someone..........OMFG, it's too horrible to think about!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

AI

doesn't just stand for artificial intelligence, y'know

2. Arctic fox
        Happy

@TeeCee Re Maternity Leave

"Maternity leave? But that would mean that someone..........OMFG, it's too horrible to think about!"

The gentleman concerned may simply have followed the advice allegedly given to Victorian ladies -

"Close your eyes and think of England"

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

@TeeCee

Hate to break it to you but she *is* married.

No pix of the hubby.

2. BillyIdol
      Paris Hilton

@Private Eye

They said she has been embarking on a serious course of Ugandan Discussions in order to bring a junior hacker into the world. Whether or not she does might be a different story...

I'm sure we can read all about it in the News of the Screws... oh wait....

Paris, because I mentioned discussing Uganda and there isn't an Idi Amin icon.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

The Ugandan...

...Wont turn out to be Australian, do you suppose?

I'll get me dri-az-a-bone

2. Burbage
    IT Angle

Hm

Mrs Brooks' value as a human shield to the Murdochs seems to have plummeted since they got their parliamentary summonses. She'll be worth much more as a scapegoat.

There's a lesson in that for most of us, I suspect.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Jim 59

Murdoch

Murdoch merely owns the company that owns the company that owned the NoTW. In my view that puts him far enough from the action so as to be unaware of it, or at least to introduce enough doubt about his knowledge and guilt.

RB on the other hand was NoTW editor. It does not seem possible that she could be unaware of what, it has emerged, was a common practice at the paper and the source of many front page stories. How could she edit the paper and not be aware of it ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

This whole situation

makes me feel so insignificant. As far as I know my mobile phone hasn't been hacked.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That hair is fake right?

Her hair is a dye job isn't it?

We can do without the racist comments about "Gingers".

1. DuncanL

FFS....

Ginger is not a race.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Ginger is not a race.

No, it's a disabilty <duck for cover>

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Happy

ACV@16:21

How soon they forget the lash of the moderatrix.

6. Morteus
    Megaphone

Gee, we're all so dumb...

... or it pleases some people to think so. I personaly don't consider myself to be particularly niave, but hey - it's all depending on how much you know (or at least, think you do).

My Uncle gave me one of the most useful (and profound) pieces of advice I ever had when I was young. "The worsth crime in the world, is getting caught". Sadly, it took me a long time to really understand how true that is, and what it really signified about human nature.

I'm not going to waste your time stating the obvious - I'm not even going to bother to vote a certain post down. I'm sure there are many here as 'clueless' as me who know what I mean.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

The worst crime in the world.

As I recall, the Spartans had that as their one and only crime. It carried the death penalty....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Morteus

To be fair though, it is not often someone gets punished for a crime without getting caught first.

3. M. Poolman

Erm

"... or it pleases some people to think so. I personaly don't consider myself to be particularly niave, but hey - it's all depending on how much you know (or at least, think you do)."

??

"My Uncle gave me one of the most useful (and profound) pieces of advice I ever had when I was young. "The worsth crime in the world, is getting caught". Sadly, it took me a long time to really understand how true that is, and what it really signified about human nature."

How profound that is. I got caught for riding my push-bike with out lights (at night would you believe). I hear about the massacres at (e.g. srebenica, rwanda, etc.) committed by loads of people who never got caught. I 'd look up to them if I wasn't hanging my head in shame.

"I'm not going to waste your time stating the obvious - I'm not even going to bother to vote a certain post down. I"

Good

"I'm sure there are many here as 'clueless' as me who know what I mean."

I doubt it.

7. Spoonsinger
    Terminator

Pictures tell a thousand words, (probably)

Every picture taken of her recently kind of reminds me of the female executive at the end of RoboCop 2.

8. DF118
    Trollface

I wonder

How would we go about getting Murdoch senior to cry live on BBC News?

Long may this car crash continue.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we get a quote

from Ross Kemp on this business?

1. Secret geek

aka Ross Kemp

I saw it was about to kick off...

....so I closed NOTW.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Thumb Up

AC@14:01

Forgot he was ms Brooks hubby.

Went totally over my head.

10. John Armstrong-Millar

Isn't is ironic

When Rebekah was editor of NOTW the favourite sport for the "silly season" was to pick a government minister as see if you could get him to resign. Now it's the other way around.. amusing don't you think?

11. Cthonus

Inhuman shield

re:Burbage

Actually I'd like to see Brooks go down for offences on her watch if only to remind the rest of the newspaper industry of the adage that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Not 60p and pair of tits on page 3.

(edited for bungling quote...)

12. laird cummings
    Black Helicopters

Elliot Carver rides again!

The plot of "Tomorrow Never Dies" is looking a bit less fictional...

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@lair of cummings

"Elliot Carver rides again! → #"

Now that's simply not fair. You *know* that the character of meglomaniacal media tycoon Carver was not based on Rupert Murdoch.

They said so at the time.

1. laird cummings
        Devil

Ah, Right.

Disclaimer *was* issued. So silly of me!

13. Baked Beans
    Facepalm

Causing harm for lulz

Nope, if I had an honest cretin on one side who caused harm with some particular goal in mind (I wonder if you can point to any evidence that the big bad Murdoch was planning to blackmail anybody) versus a person who causes harm and discomfort because he gets pleasure from it then give me the thug any day of the week.

And I'm not making any moral judgment on whether people who murder their fellow citizens are "freedom fighters" but the people who are being murdered sure are. that is why they are "collaborating" with Teh Big Bad Imperialists. And Assange has openly and honestly admitted that they should be killed. Real collateral murder in Iraq much?

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/05/assange-collaborators-deserve-to-die/239511/

1. Steve Gill

collaborators

has this quote been verified?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Causing harm for lulz

"I wonder if you can point to any evidence that the big bad Murdoch was planning to blackmail anybody"

Astroturfing strategy #4: there's no proof of wrongdoing and the angry mob must stand down at once. Or maybe it's strategy #3 and the mob must be turned on the accusers.

3. Daniel 1

verified?

Who knows? I'm not even sure which thug, Baked Beans whats us to "give" him, now, to be honest. Can you work it out, from reading all that crap? I think it's the one with a goal, in mind (or maybe he meant 'gaol' - in which case it could be any of them).

Anyway, he's posting about Julian Assange in a comments section about Rebecca Brookes resigning. All I can gather, is that he's asserting that the people who think News International did illegal things and should be investigated (preferably by some policemen who _didn't_ accept bribes), are the same people who think Anonymous are "heroes" and Assange should go free. Why he thinks this, is beyond me, unless he finds it easier to hate an enemy, with as one-dimensional a set of views, as his own.

(At least he's not passing judgement on "people who murder their fellow citizens"... Which was nice of him, I thought. That's the trouble with people, these days, you see? Too judgmental.)

4. M. Poolman

WTF

Has Assange got do to with whether or not it's OK to access the voice-mails of murdered children, for the entertainment of the Great Britisish Public ?

Back in your hole, troll.

14. yossarianuk
    Windows

Murdoch: a Microsoft's Partner!

Just a reminder:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/23/murdoch_microsoft_google/

Anyone who has given Microsoft any money has helped the dead child bothering bastard .

15. Baked Beans

Nope, but

I'm guessing that a highly regarded Guardian journalist wouldn't lie solely for the purpose of discrediting Assange, especially since the same journalist wrote a fawning tribute to him (WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange's War on Secrecy) . Besides it sounds like something many people of his political persuasion would say.

It's also worth noting the term that the One uses in place of redacting: damage reduction. So how much damage were you intending to cause in the first place Mr. Assange?

1. Daniel 1

Ah - astroturfing strategy #5

"Nick Davies is an unreliable journalist."

What's up, baked Beans? Suddenly found yourself with a lot more time on your hands? It's tough, when an employer goes to the wall, but times are hard, and arses have to be covered, you know?

Anyway, I'm sure the paper-bag-faced old bastard had your best interests at heart, really.

16. J 3
    Coffee/keyboard

No comments, except...

The doll in the icon you used in the front page for this story is hilarious. Maybe it's just me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No

not just you

17. Baked Beans

Astroturfing?

Astroturfing strategy #4: there's no proof of wrongdoing and the angry mob must stand down at once. Or maybe it's strategy #3 and the mob must be turned on the accusers.

Soooo I'm being paid by News Corporation now? Kay.

1. Daniel 1

Well, you must admit

It does look better if we could believe someone was actually paying you to write this shit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Astroturfing?

"Soooo I'm being paid by News Corporation now? Kay."

Well, you could be. Or you could be working for someone else who would rather we didn't look into this business too deeply. I believe some of the people involved have public relations businesses.

Or you could be a stupid template "Britard" whose life revolves around gossip and voting for the suited-and-tied idiot who claims to serve your best interests, conveniently endorsed by the toilet paper masquerading as a source of news which satisfies your cravings for easily-consumed trivia and opinions on things that you can't be bothered to understand. As a result, you might just be bitter that your favourite publication isn't being printed any more and are throwing a tantrum.

But so far you've only discredited yourself over and over again. So if this is your job, I hope someone isn't paying you for it. If this is your hobby, I suggest finding something you can hope to be good at, because this isn't it.

18. BillyIdol
    Pint

@Elliot Carver

It was based on Ruert Maxwell, but it looks like a load of fat cheques have been handed out anyway...

Beer, because this forum has turned into Private eye

19. Baked Beans
    Facepalm

I was wrong, it can get more pathetic

"At least he's not passing judgment on "people who murder their fellow citizens"... Which was nice of him, I thought. That's the trouble with people, these days, you see? Too judgmental."

Well since somebody here thinks they are "freedom fighters" I don't want to get into a political row. If you want me to get judgmental then no, no I don't believe people that blow up children using IEDs are freedom fighters. I guess your smartarse comment inadvertently puts you on the side of the big bad imperialists now. Sorry about that.

And if you're too god damned thick to understand what I'm saying I'll say it as simply as possibly:

People not criticize Assange/Anon when steal data. People criticize News of World when do. Me not know why. You do know why?

Do you understand that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Yes, me understand

It's very simple: when you steal from the rich to help protect the poor that is a Good Thing. When you steal from the poor to help make the rich richer, that is a Bad Thing.

You understand now?

Didn't think so.

2. M. Poolman

I don't want to get into a political row.

Then STFU

3. me n u
      WTF?

@Bakedbeans

People not criticize Assange/Anon when steal data. People criticize News of World when do. Me "not know why. You do know why?

Do you understand that?"

Huh? u say sumthin

1. Daniel 1

Stop feeding him

His brain-farts come in 57 different varieties... but he follows through on every single one.

So they all end up smelling of the same thing.

20. Alan Firminger

Something very big is hidden, and it might stay there.

All performers to date, that is News International and the Metropolitain Police have made a dogs dinner of their communications. Why ?

All parties have access to skilled PR people. Before they open a mouth all the options are thrashed through until the right positive message is identified. So why are all these people behaving like four year olds caught in the larder.

They could all have put out far better apologies.

So something is hidden. They will get done for the petty crimes of bunging a few grand to coppers, RIPA and a host of other laws that they consider appropriate for the little people.

21. Lord Lien

Ding Dong!

The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.