back to article No Gingerbread snack for Desire owners, says HTC

HTC today told Desire smartphone users they won't be getting a Gingerbread update after all because it didn't put enough memory in its handsets. Oops. The company made the announcement on its Facecrack page, claiming the handset lacks memory for both Gingerbread and the Sense UI. Solution: give users the choice to upgrade to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RobinHunter

Wildfire s 512 MB ram and 2.3??

How does that work then?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Kubi

Simple maths

Contract Length: 18 months

Phone obsolete after: 12 months

Even Apple don't have that sort of cheek. Really, I see no reason to even consider buying HTC again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Since when...

....did HTC have any control over the length of contract you and your network operator negotiate?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"Simple" is right...

Yes, because it's HTC's fault that people sign long contracts with 3rd party carriers...

1. Kubi

Oh right, sorry, it's my fault!

So, wait... you two are saying that HTC have no idea that the majority of their customers are contracted through network operators? Or that they know, but don't care? Or that it is unreasonable to expect a £450 device to last more than 12 months? Do you seriously think that they did this on purpose, that they want people to find their handsets unusable after 12 months, that they believe that to be a sustainable business model? Either you are utterly deluded, or incorrigibly stupid.

It is HTC's fault that they made a substandard phone, which has insufficient memory to meet its advertised potential. Were I not under contract I would still consider this a total rip-off, and I would avoid the company in the future. HTC's ideal scenario is that their customers remain happy with their devices throughout their contract, and then are subsequently enticed into upgrading towards the end of their contract. With the first incarnation of the Desire, they have totally failed in this respect. If you don't agree, at least present some sort of counter argument, instead of claiming, in the face of all evidence, that the length of contract is the problem here.

4. Dyason
    Happy

Do It Yourself

As many have said, when the desire came out it was fantastic. They've already done one major update for it and it's been known about the hardware limitations for a while. You don't buy a PC and then 1 year later when a new OS comes out expect it to be perfectly up to scratch.

On the other hand Android has a fantastic community who have fixed all of the problems mentioned here. All of the latest and greatest releases of Android have been ported to the Desire, with and without SenseUI. Having space issues? Sort yourself out with Data2Ext and use your sd card as extra internal space.

The one thing HTC can do to help us even more is by making sure the source code is available in the future so that we can continue to do these things ourselves.

1. Saucerhead Tharpe
      FAIL

Umm Yes I do

"You don't buy a PC and then 1 year later when a new OS comes out expect it to be perfectly up to scratch."

Why wouldn't I?

1. Danny 14

huh?

"You don't buy a PC and then 1 year later when a new OS comes out expect it to be perfectly up to scratch."

Actually yes I do. I'd be pissed if my PC wouldnt *install* in 3 years time. HTC arent even letting you install it sans sense but they will sell you a new phone of course.

5. simm0

That's funny

My Desire runs better than ever since rooting and flashing with T-mod.orgs Gingerbread ROM.

A2SD+ makes the (lack of) memory problem go away, better battery life and no carrier junk mucking up the interface....

Methinks it's more a case of "We won't" than "We can't" on HTC's part.

6. Drefsab

lies

A quick hope over to the desire development section of XDA forums on the first page alone I foud

RCMix S v2.0 / Gingerbread sense2.1+3 Combo

LeeDrOiD V3.0.7 / Gingerbread + Sense

SuperNova GingerBread Sense

Cool Kingdom v6a / Gingerbread + Sense 3

At that point I stopped, so gingerbread and sense cant work funny how many roms there are doing just that with MANY happy users of them, personally im using MIUI but come on HTC, don't lie to your customers.

7. PartTimeLegend
    Mushroom

Sense 2.1 and Gingerbread

For those who are saying they are running Gingerbread with Sense 2.1 witch such ROMs as RCMix.

Remember you have to have an EXT3/4 partition on your memory card. Without this it would be unusable.

8. Killajoules

HTC desire upgrade

All I can say is they should have bought the Desire HD, my HD upgraded to Android 2.3.3 yesterday just before the article was published.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. AC Seven

Repaired

My phone just got replace by Vodafone and it running the following without being rooted

Andriod 2.3.3

Sense 2.1

Kernal 2.6.35.10

So I am wondering what is going on, as this was a brand new replacement from Vodafone

11. Wize

So...

...having just escaped a 2 year contract with a Nokia N97 and recently got a Desire Z (hey, I like buttons) I am not yet entirely familiar with the differences. What exactly am I missing out not getting Gingerbread?

1. Danny 14

the biggie

is exchange 2010 if you use that sort of thing. Without a fair chunk of server changes exchange 2010 is almost dead on < gingerbread.

1. Wize

So...

since most of us don't have an exchange server of our own (and I'm lucky enough to be stuck with Lotus fucking Notes at work) then its not really a biggie?

12. marksi
    Facepalm

u-turn ahoy...

https://www.facebook.com/htcuk

"Contrary to what we said earlier, we are going to bring Gingerbread to HTC Desire."

13. itmonkey
    WTF?

HTC Backtrack

They will be releasing 2.3 - on HTC UK facebook page.

Still will think twice, though before choosing HTC again

14. DaveBindy
    WTF?

bloody fast

Im quite impressed with the speed at which the software engineers managed to get gingerbread onto the desire. After saying that they spent months trying and failed to get GB to work, they managed forget it to work over the course of one night. Very suspicious indeed!

15. tonyoung
    Thumb Up

I'm glad I waited ....

..... and although I'm well and truly in the "It's a phone, stupid, just use it" camp; when I ran over my original Desire a while back (ouch)! I'm really glad I waited (and used a horrible Samsung) until Orange could supply me with a Desire S before I claimed a replacement.

Both versions are good and the S is only slightly better in terms of what it will do (and a leap ahead in appearance, but that's my personal view) so I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Anyway, I hear that HTC are doing a U Turn, so maybe Anonymous Coward has got his way without the battle.

16. Steve Evans

Memory or RAM?

Your tag line says "RAM" which != memory.

Hopefully they are talking about the storage space for the ROM, the Eeprom. If they really are talking about RAM, then there are going to be some very unhappy Desire Z owners (myself included). The Desire has 576meg of RAM, the Desire Z (which is promised gingerbread within the next month) only has 512meg.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like