back to article Use of Weapons declared best sci-fi film never made

Our poll to name the best sci-fi film never made has returned Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks as the book Reg readers would most like to see projected on the silver screen. useofweaponsnovelcover The 50 candidates attracted a whopping 27,088 votes, with the winner securing 10,032. Runner-up was Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise winner, to say the least

I was sort of expecting an odd-ball winner, but I'm pretty shocked that the winner is a book I've never even heard of.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Btw...

If you have read all the novels and are still looking for a Culture-esque fix of reading, you could do worse then try "Alastair Reynolds" stuff - with the added advantage that he has a strong science background and it shows in the novels.

3. Sander van der Wal
    Gates Halo

Better rethink this...

Americans making a movie about a Communist state that actually works?

Nows, if Cuba had a proper movie industry. Or North Korea...

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Stop

Not so fast

Americans also made Star Trek.

4. Pahhh
    Joke

uhm..... really....

Use of Weapons is certainly one if not my favourite of Bank's culture books and probably one of my favourite SF books but like other posters mentioned I cannot see how it could be made into a film.

I do think the amount of votes is a bit odd too. Given this is an IT site I have to wonder if there wasnt a bit of uhm... cheating going on. Obviously the guy with the Use of Weapons script was better than the guy with the Mote script lol.... Maybe Anonymous were invoved in this!

5. Andrew Garrard
    Thumb Down

Unconvinced

Having seen UoW in first place early on, I borrowed it from a friend and started reading. I'm about half way through.

Is it enjoyable? Yes.

Would it work as a film? Less convinced. Too many threads, too much internal monologue.

I stand by Ender's Game as a better choice, partly because it's short, but you'd have to find a way to get a young cast to kill people convincingly (and possibly grow with it). It wouldn't work with everyone aged up, like the TV version of Game of Thrones.

I like Foundation, but I can't see that being anything other than tedious as a film. I'll look up TMIGE once I've finished UoW. The poll has, at least, been a good recommendation (even if the majority of the top two suggests some organised voting).

Apologies for duplicates - I can't read the other comments without risking spoilers...

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Andrew Garrard re: Enders Game

is one of the few books that I had to read cover-to-cover in a single session. But the tactics that made Ender so different would be almost impossible to relate on the screen, it would be just too confusing for most people, especially in the zero-gravity encounters when there is no 'up'.

If I remember correctly, there was only a single child death in Battle School (and a documented history of a few more that are mentioned, but not detailed), and this was not in one of the set battles, but a bullying incident that would not be too difficult to portray. In the battle room, participants are 'frozen' by immobilization suits and guns not that different from laser-zone guns instead of killed.

All of the 'real' battle scenes except the flashbacks to the first war were deliberately stylised so that they appeared like tactical exercises to the children. That would be easypeasy to film.

6. Doug Glass
    Go

Laughable

As interesting as I found UoW, Jack L. Chalker's "Soulrider" saga was far better and will never get made into a movie because of a variety of reasons.

But as with ant colonies, organization is everything and UoW's fans are to be commended.

7. envmod

feersum

i also really love Feersum Endjinn but i might be in the minority on that one. would make a good film though...

1. OrsonX

Against A Dark Background

It's a shame AADB isn't a Culture novel as it's awesome!!

Feersum is also brilliant, but perhaps not on your first read (when it can be a struggle), really worth a re-read and appreciating what actually happens at the end.... a fearsome engine indeed!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use of Weapons

is without doubt one of the finest SF novels ever written, no matter how you look at it. Who else but Banks could tell half of the story forwards and the other half backwards, with the chapters alternating between the forwards half and backwards half?

If you don't agree, you can go and sit in the chair over in the corner.

Yes, that one with the leather cushion.

9. Nigel 11

Odd...

Odd, that no-one is keen on "Look to Windward" or "Against a Dark Background".

"Look to Windward" has a relatively straightforward plot to film, and a Mind that mere humans can easily empathize with. Perhaps a bit gloomy, but some great movies are. I thought this might be the last Culture novel when I first read it - had the feel of an author closing the door on his creation.

"Against a Dark Background" isn't part of the Culture series, so carries less baggage. Again, could make a great film.

1. Rattus Rattus

Yes,

I thought Look to Windward would be far more easily filmed than most of Banks's books. Since the Mind in question is motivated by it's historical part in the Idiran war, and the war forms an important historical event in the background to the story, it would also make a good followup to a film of Consider Phlebas.

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Oh well

Time to hand in my SciFi geek card I guess - never even heard of this.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Recinded!

If you haven't heard if Ian M Banks or Use of Weapons, you shouldn't have been issued with a Sci-Fi geek card in the first place.

11. Peter Fairbrother 1
    Grenade

Wasp factory

Not really SF, no "M", and eeeewwwww!

But it'd be filmable.

12. Paul Fiera
    Headmaster

Use of Weapons or...

...any Iain M. Banks Culture novel. Excession, to name one.

13. disgruntled yank

conversely

Perhaps El Reg should start a poll for "Sci Fi movies better never made." I have a few for the list.

14. OrsonX
    Alien

Surface Detail

1/3 of way through.... well written, propper Culture to chew on.... but just can't decide as yet whether I'm convinced about the "Virtual Hells" as a viable story line? I guess you have to have some kind of story..... and it's pretty interesting.... I just can't help but think that advanced civs would have dumped their religious baggage a very long time before reaching the tech capability to even contemplate a VR hell. I'm surprised that Iain didn't think like wise?

There is also mention of "sending a text message", is Iain getting sloppy? In the past it would have been a glyph or some such.......

1. BorkedAgain
      Pint

Our civ is pretty advanced...

...and there's still no sign of loosing the grip of the Sky Fairy, or his scary cousin. I thought the VR Hells were a nice metaphor for cloud, too (*ahem*)

And the text message? How would you describe a message that is formed of text? As your namesake said (quoting Blish, I believe) "If it looks like a rabbit and acts like a rabbit, calling it a shmeerp doesn't make it alien."

Anyway. Banks is one of those very rare beasts: a writer producing works that span genres and universes, every single one of which I'd be happy to recommend as quality literature. Not above reproach, mind, but he's a far better writer than I am. I'd give your left arm to be as talented as him...

Cheers.

1. OrsonX
        Happy

body parts

Agreed, Iain's the best. I'll let him off the txt message. So long as we don't have Minds tweeting each other....

15. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Thank you very much!

Looking for something new to read, never read anything by Mr Banks so this should be interesting. £3 second-hand from Amazon, a bargain.

16. DF118
    Thumb Up

Nobody has mentioned that...

...IIRC, IMB has a stated lack of desire to see his work adapted for the big screen.

While we're dreaming though, I would LOVE to see Excession done well and it's the one I voted for but - as others have said - it would be almost impossible to do it justice. Use of Weapons would turn out the better movie for that reason alone.

PS: Dear Reg - I fucking LOVE that you do stuff like this from time to time!

1. ponder

IMB reluctant ro have his books madeinto films?

Not really - he has stated a reluctance for it to be made by Hollywood though.

17. DF118
    WTF?

And while we're on it...

I'm surprised to see Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy scored higher than Pandora's Star. The latter would make a MUCH better movie for the simple reason that the baddies and their shenanigans are every bit as thought-provoking as the Borg, as well as being nastier in many ways.

18. trydk
    Unhappy

Drat and Bother, I Missed the Poll

Since I lost interest in BOFH, I seem visit El Reg so rarely as to miss a poll like this. Bother and piffle!

But after reading Peter F Hamilton's books Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, I think *they* would make a good epic or two to film. Is Mr Hamilton on the list at all?

Ah, well, I will just have my thoughts linger here, near the end of the comments.

19. Al 14

No

Look to windward would be better.

20. Bananimal

Love it

Use of Weapons was my introduction to the Culture and I think its a great starting point and could make a great film, Excession also has great film potential. I didn't really like Consider Phlebas, can't remember why.

1. Rattus Rattus

re: "I didn't really like Consider Phlebas, can't remember why"

Maybe because Horza was a bit of a whiny emo?

21. Morteus

I'm not convinced...

... that Use of Weapons would make a good movie. The uninitiated could be confused by the constant flash-backs and those having read it are unlikely to be impressed with the interpretation of someone else perspective.

Consider Phlebas would probably make a better movie as it is more linear and a less complex story line. Also the action is better paced, and Horza would make an excellent anti-hero if he is well cast.

22. zenkaon
    Thumb Down

Not Use of Weapons

I've read most Culture books and find that "Use of Weapons" is one of the worse, or more accurately the least best.

It seems unfocused, the wars Zakalwai fights in seem vague and are never explained and once you realise the twist......It was a big disappointment after reading "consider phelbos" and "The player of games", which are much better books. Consider Phelbos would make a much better film.

IMHO the film industry should leave this well alone, they will ruin it

23. HeWhoDoesntLikeFUD

Peter F. Hamilton's

...Night's Dawn should be first, hands down...

24. A.A.Hamilton

The movie has already been made...

... I watch it my mind over and over gain, along with all the Iain M and Iain Banks books. Nobody is going to make a better set of graphics than those in my mind.

Remember the old Infocom slogan - that so true: "we put our graphics where the Sun don't shine", while others ended up with an effect that could be described with identical words but a totally different meaning.

Banks' books are not all equal - some are more equal than others, but I'm thankful to have read them all.

25. Anton Geijsendorpher
    Thumb Up

Do you not know what an OCP is?

Then you better read Excession!

Problem with making a movie of this book is that it would only be a few minutes long.

50% of the dialogue is between ship minds which all took place is a few microseconds ;-)

(Even the battle scenes are measured in seconds)

Have to agree that "Consider Phlebas" or even "Player of Games" would be better movie options as both would appeal to a wider audience + would hopefully generate enough interrest/revenue to make UoW / Excession which would make me *very* happy!

If you are not the SciFi type - try reading "The Bridge", this is one of Iain Banks (note the missing "M.") non-culture books - you will be reading it more than once....

26. gronkle

Something, anything Culture, just do it.

Not sure if Use of Weapons could be done justice as a movie, huge fan though I am of most of Banks' Scifi.

I'd echo the comments further up regarding almost any of the culture books being better suited to work as a series and based on past and current form I'd say HBO seem to have the teeth and clout to carry it off, or at least make a fair stab at it.

Algebraist, Against a Dark Background etc. (the better one-offs), would make excellent movies though, I think.

27. DaiKiwi

Strike out the first two places

There was some serious vote rigging going on.

The next five places look much more interesting and realistic.

My vote went to Enders Game. Done CGI-anime style - like Appleseed & Vexille - it would look great, you don't have to age up the characters (or not much), and can use decent voice talent to get better performances than any child will deliver.

Foundation might work as a mini series, since it pretty episodic, but I don't think would work as a film.

28. corestore

May the best bot win

Apparently, it did.

Mike

29. Furbian
    WTF?

What poll? Useless Weapons more like...

I have a friend who I trusted to give me interesting books that he'd read. After going through about 6 Bank's novels, I read 'Use of Weapons' and told my friend that I didn't like it? Apparently he thought I liked Banks, no he didn't like it either.

My vote would be for the Algebraist, loved it. Actually almost ANY culture novel, apart from Inversions (which isn't quite a culture novel), would be better than Use of Weapons.

Yes I am a stereotypical IT chap , I love Dune.

BUT... what about William Gibson's Neuromancer?! Just 2%?!

Slight Spoiler alert for Use of Weapons, don't the ultra advanced Culture do reference checks?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Reference checks?

I'm sure they do, that's kind of the point. Means to an end, and all that. I'd have to agree with you about the Algebraist though, although the twist in that one does have a massive great big, "I'm a completely unrelated plot point" clue to the twist right near the beginning of the book.

30. Sarah Davis
    FAIL

too suspicious

thats a huge jump between 2nd and 3rd place, too huge, was the vote rigged from the start as part of a publicity stunt, or was it a genuine vote where organised voting was arranged? (di you check the ip's and vote times?)

either way it renders the whole thing pointless, clearly there has been tampering in some way

if it had been by a few hundred even, at least it would have been believable, but a jump of over 1000% !! LOL - right, in your dreams, you'd have to be immensly gullable to believe this is an honest poll.

Shame on you El Reg, you've turned into a science fiction site.

31. Eponymous Cowherd

Sort of culture films.....

A couple of things on YouTube:

Someone's idea of a Culture orbital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrMN8_yfzsw

Bored Human and Drone. The person who posted it thinks its based on The Culture. While it has a Culture feel to it, there are a number of things that don't seem quite right (No "aura" field on the drone, for one, and the names, for another)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET8IFxPo61w

32. Thomas Swann
    Thumb Up

Zakalwe Enfranchised

That twist would be a real 'Fight Club' moment.

33. James 32

State of the art

Would make the best movie introduction to the culture. It's not a massive story, so would be ideally placed to introduce the culture and set the scene for follow on movies. I think the story would appeal to a lot of people which would enhance the popularity of the larger stories.

Use of weapons could be the sequel as Diziet Sma is in both stories...

34. ganymede io device
    Grenade

abnormal distribution

Applying Fitt's Law (not a novel), would the close proximity of the choice 'Use of Weapons – Iain M Banks and the button 'Yes, please bring that soon to a cinema near me' have any relation to the skewed distibribution?

Not only is Use of Weapons hard to film, but I think Iain M said that he's been asked about the Player of Games rules by computer games coders and screenwriters but the rules are unfortunately and perhaps deliberately incomplete.

Me, I'm planning to listen to China Miéville talk about Embassytown. His last novel Kraken would make a very watchable movie.

'

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I recently read Kraken too

One of those few books, like those by Iain Banks, that kept me reading well past my bed time.

2. BorkedAgain

...As would Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes...

...but I suspect I may be a little late to suggest that...

35. raving angry loony

say never made

Given the treatment that Hollywood gave to Dune (the Lynch fuckup, not the well done one by John Harrison), Starship Troopers , I Robot and a host of other novels, I can only hope that these were books that should STAY never made by Hollywood (or Bollywood, or any other wood).

36. Nick Pettefar

Film Fun

Stainless Steel Rat! That would make a great series of films.

Forget Banks, far too intellectual. I've read everything he's written though, even The Bridge!

1. Gollum_HKT

Yeah but what about "Bill The Galactic Hero'

And what about any of the Pern novels or even Piers Anthony's Xanth or Incarnations series - who said it had to be "PURE" Sci-Fi?

37. Lan ser
    FAIL

bulls**t

Sorry but this poll is so obviously skewed its not worth the silicon its saved on.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.