back to article So, what's the best sci-fi film never made?

Note: Nominations are now closed. Thanks for the stampede of sugestions. We're now ploughing through the lot to make the final selection for the poll. Watch this space... We know a lot of you are sci-fi buffs, and have your own personal feelings on what would make the ultimate sci-fi movie. The recent news that Paramount will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Or was this limited to science-fiction ?

Silver badge
FAIL

No,

...but it was limited to FILMS THAT HAVEN'T ALREADY BEEN MADE.

Apologies for caps, but there doesn't appear to be an icon for banging your head against a desk.

Ridley Walker

Not so sure how well it would adapt, but there's no heroism that doesn't require a heroic effort.

Anonymous Coward

Ringworld

For the visual scope if nothing else

Alternatively "Rendevous with Rama"

It's a real shame...

...that they never made the three prequels to Star Wars. I'm sure I would have remembered.

Bronze badge

We need BIG SPACE operas

Like Arthur C Clarke's "Rendezvous with Rama".

+1 for Doc Smith's Lensman, also his "The Skylark of Space" series.

How about a live-action Dan Dare?

@Paul Dx & Ashton Black - The subject is "The Best Sci-Fi Film _Never_ Made.", not "My fave flick".

Silver badge

Dan Dare?

Oh, wow, yeah. Dan Dare would be cool, except you'd have to decide if you want modern space tech, or a believable form of early/mid-century "modern steampunk" space tech... perhaps some weird hybrid beast that's a cross between an old Lancaster and a Space Shuttle.

And, as long as we're talking about another goddamn' movie of a comic book, how about "Ministry Of Space"?

Missing movies

Foundation

Anything by Doc Smith especially featuring skintight jumpsuit highly developed redheads (cool your jets!)

EE Doc Smith

Yes your right. That author is a work of art, my fav has to be the expansion from the novella by Stephen Goldin who did the 'Family D'Alembert. agents from a heavy grav planet, everything would be in bullet time.

There's a book for that...

and a flippin' great read it is too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Sci-Fi-Movies-Never-Made/dp/1845767551/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302876578&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Terminator

Star Wars 7 8 and 9

But they must improve on 4, 5, and 6 and bury 1, 2 and 3 in an unmarked grave during the opening sequence.

Colin

Terminator will have to do as it looks a bit like c3po. Can we have an evil Lucas icon, please?

Silver badge
Coat

The Rat obviously

Of the Stainless Steel Type naturally.

Then there is the wondeful

Venus on the Half Shell by Kilgore Trout (aka K Vonnegut)

Mines the one with a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land in the pocket. (I'm reading it on the train at the moment)

dvd

You sure?

I thought that the concensus on who wrote Venus on the Half Shell was Philip José Farmer?

Anonymous Coward

Which of "email"

is everyone finding so difficult?

Thumb Down

Did the email first ....

.... thought it might be fun to throw some suggestions in the ring for others to think about,

You are assuming...

...we did not ALSO email. But we are SCIFi nerds, and therefore compelled to post IN ADDITION to sending said message.

Iain M Banks

Excession would make an amazing film. Go! Sleeper Service, Go!

Any Culuture if done well

Would be interesting to see how they'd do the Killing Time scene when it rips through the other ships in about a second

Thumb Up

Couldn't agree more - Iain M. Banks is THE missing piece in the genre

Almost any Iain M Banks Culture novel would make amazing movies, from full blown space operas like "Excession" to highly sophisticated sci-fi action thrillers like "Use of Weapons". The diversity of stories and entire series possible in the Culture would make Star Trek's Federation look like a single bard's song of a Medieval village.

The only other *single* work of comparable ambition and originality that sci-fi fans would demand would be something like Greg Bear's "Darwin's Radio". The amazing thing about this latter story is how plausible it would be TODAY. Also, unlike the Culture novels it wouldn't need fancy copious CGI, sets or be super expensive to make.

My favourite Culture novel

But a lot of dialogue between Minds (and there is a lot) would be hard to portray well on the big screen in my opinion.

Excession

Yeah, I've read this countless times, I agree with Willington on this.

Let there be no mistake about this, I'd like to see a lot of eye candy.

Also, consider rendering the epic space battles... how would you do it? The ships are sometimes stated to be very... very... very... far apart... I've often found capital ship battles rendered on films like star trek to be most incongruent... why are the ships so close together?

Nevertheless I'd like to see an attempt.

How about Look to Windward? That might be better... Those airspheres sound like a challenge to CGI.

Attempt? Do or do not. There is no attempt.

I just don't think I could stand someone ruining those books.

If it was only as bad as Lord of the Rings (decent films, hard to imagine a better attempt at an impossible task) then maybe.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

It's a Grey Area Matter

Which tells you more about my mental state than you want to know....

@Ashton Black & AC 14:04

Err guys, this is about the greatest sci-fi stories that have /NOT/ been made into films yet.

I would go for

Engineman by Eric Brown

The Stainless Steel Rat Stories by Harry Harrison

Or

The Culture Stories by Iain M Banks

@HP Cynic: I think that most people understand that this is an Email poll but what's the point having a forum if we can't have fun discussing it. I will still be Emailing my vote.

I would also like to see...

The Diamond Age

and

The last two parts of the Dark Materials Trilogy

Alien

Gotta love

all the people who can't read.

Best sci-fi film NEVER made, not ever made. I can understand posting in the comments, but if I comment I will also be emailing (as requested).

The Baroque Trilogy

by Neal Stephenson would be awesome (and rather long)... And you'd want to have Cryptonomicon as a prequel as well...

Prequel?

Prequels happen BEFORE the other story.

Too long, sadly!

There is no way you could make one film of the Baroque Trilogy, not even a trilogy of films. How about a series of 104 2-hour episodes?

This post has been deleted by its author

Possibly....

With the right directors/showrunner, I could see six seasons on HBO or Showtime doing justice to the source material.

Niven and Pournelle

Anything by these guys especially the motie series.

Although i have my suspicions if footfall and lucifers hammer are eligable as pretty much every sci fi film involving an asteroid draws pretty heavily on them

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Footfall.....

would get my vote.

Silver badge

But Footfall is also alien baby elephants

I'd expect hollywood to like that, plenty of cgi required (ditto for archangel launch). Unfortunately probably too late, too many shuttles in it and they'll be retired by the time they'd made it.

Unhappy

War of the Worlds...

...a version faithful to location, period and plot of the novel without being crap, banned, resulting in lawsuits for plagiarism or restricted to distribution in limited regions.

Iain M Banks

Some of his books certainly have the potential for great films..

I remember reading an interview where he said he had mixed feelings about filming his books, one of his his main reservations being Special effects won't be good enough, although he admitted advances in cgi mean this is not so much an issue now..

Plus I think he welcomed the idea of pocketing mega $$$

Coat

What is it with the " " blidess?

early half of the it wits respodig so far seem to be blid to the letter after m i the alphabet?

Mies the oe with othing i the pockets

Alien

It's has to be..

Fobidden Planet - and don't call me Shirley!

The Player Of Games

by Iain M Banks. I think that would translate into a good movie.

Thumb Up

Agree..

Player of Games is probably one of the easier Iain M Banks books to translate to the big screen..

But as a kid, the two books I always wanted to see turned into films were Futuretrack 5 by Robert Westall and the Chrysalids by Wyndham.

Go

Oh gosh yes!

Please, please, please!!!!

Ubik

A film adaptation that seems to be permanently in development.

Boffin

Probably not the best choice but...

"Journey to the far side of the sun" ?? also called doppelganger

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064519/ Was originally made by Gerry Anderson's team, and , even though it was filmed with real actors, every time i see it , i can't help looking for the wires.

Ps ... can we have a "Joe 90" icon? or... do we already have one?

FAIL

The fact it is on IMDB already...

Should give you a clue....

Happy

this isn't 4chan!

.... http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n21/n108366.jpg

Happy

I knew that...

.... so it is... anyone seen it then, or is it just me.

Anonymous Coward

Stainless Steel Rat anyone

Have the Stainless Steel Rat books ever been filmed? I reckon they'd be good if done properly.

Thumb Up

ACE TRUCKING !!!! Woo-Hoo!!

Ace Trucking from 2000AD if we're doing wishlists.

or Stainless steel rat series from Harry Harrison.

Both

Was going to suggest both of those and would add

Skizz

The Ballad of Halo Jones

Despite Alan Moore's loathing of his stuff in the cinema.

Alien

Game...

I'm going to take a different view and say System Shock 1 & 2 would be awesome if they made it into a film!

And yes I have emailed too...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums