back to article GNOME 3: Shocking changes for Linux lovers

At five years in the making, and with code contributions from more than 3,500 developers, the just released GNOME 3 is not a small upgrade: it's a radical departure with an entirely new approach. GNOME 3 will no doubt prove polarizing for the GNOME community, at least initially. But, the reality is, love it or hate it, GNOME 3 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Five Nines

I find that something like 99.999% of users take a long time to settle into a new GUI. I'm sure the GNOME 2 faithful will find GNOME 3 hard to live with at first, but if they stick with it they would find it hard to switch back after a year's use.

Most people have used the same system for years and don't use any other system. Those who switch from one system to another regularly find it much easier to adapt to a new system. I do find, however, that those that do use multiple systems don't use as many features as those who stick to the same system all the time.

If, like me, you switch GUIs regularly you probably don't think one system is "better" than another. It's just different. I'm certainly puzzled by those who steadfastly defend their particular favourite window manager as "the best". When I hear OSX users rowing with Windows users or GNOME users with KDE users over who has the better GUI I just don't get it. I've never heard people arguing over who's PVR has the best UI.

2. Cam 2
    Go

Lots of uninformed rants...

It's easy to kick off when you see something different but spend a little time trying it instead and see how it actually works for you.

I've been using the Gnome shell preview for a while and my personal niggles have mainly been addressed in the proper version.

True Unix / Linux users will see it as a return to fast and efficient ways of working (think keyboard short cuts). Has anyone noticed that instead of the dragging the bar nonsense you can hit F11 for a fullscreen interface? It's much better than a maximised but still decorated window on Gnome 2...

I don't think it's perfect, I would still like to see some things like a CPU usage applet but maybe that will be covered in future releases...

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      Alert

@Cam 2: At the risk of re-starting the Editor wars...

...there speaks a real emacs user!

3. spegru
    Thumb Up

Smell the Coffee

Mobile devices, Phones, Tablets and The Cloud are in. Desktops are out.

It's the desktop idiom that is going to look veerry dated before long

You can bet that OSX and iOS will converge before long too

KDE had its problems of course but it's increasingly looking that it was just too early

People should REALLY get away from the idea that XP defined a desktop interface that could/should not change. Moving the pedals or steering wheel of a car is something entirely different to do with erganomics and human anatomy, A GUI is just a blinkin' screen!

Does everyone say that all stereos or vacuum cleaners should look the same?

If you were in charge of OS evolution to gain more market share, which direction would You be going?

It's a little ironic really: Remember the standard GUI for the original eeePC 701 or Acer netbooks? They were slated as not being windows enough. No though they're starting to look prescient - All they needed was an 'App Store'!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Absolutely agree that...

"People should REALLY get away from the idea that XP defined a desktop interface that could/should not change."

Right. For me, it was W2K that defined it --- hence all those years on XP with "classic" windows settings!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'd rather use Windows ME than this.

Yay, let's blur the difference between apps that are and aren't running, make the replacement for the Start menu take up the whole screen, remove UI features that have been around for over 20 years, hide stuff under additional clicks, and 'search' for everything instead of knowing what I want and where to get it.

If I wanted an iPad or a Mac I'd buy an iPad or a Mac.

Getting my coat, because the last time I saw it, it still had two sleeves, pockets in the sides and buttons on the front.

5. x4zYYvb3
    FAIL

If I'd wanted a fondleslab UI.....

...I'd have bought a fondleslab.

Another vote for Xfce.

6. x4zYYvb3

You want your EeePC 701 with a Start menu?

"It's a little ironic really: Remember the standard GUI for the original eeePC 701 or Acer netbooks? They were slated as not being windows enough. No though they're starting to look prescient - All they needed was an 'App Store'!"

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/#full_desktop_advanced_mode - a very popular tweak at the time. It turned the crippled version of Xandros, that the EeePC shipped with, into a usable tool.

That is before Ubuntu based Eee-distros with the Gnome 2.x desktop became all the rage.

7. why-can-i-not-just-use-my-real-name

What is minimize for?

Nice to read a review of gnome-shell (the part of gnome 3 which was reviewed) which picks up on the positives.

Anyway, what was minimize for in the first place? What was ever the point of minimizing window A to get to window B? Why not just switch to / click on window B straight away? Can someone enlighten me?

1. x4zYYvb3

Hey man, you still using that Alt-Tab sh*t

"Anyway, what was minimize for in the first place? What was ever the point of minimizing window A to get to window B? Why not just switch to / click on window B straight away? Can someone enlighten me?"

Well, by clicking on B it gets focus, partially obscuring windows C and D, that you are also referring to and completely covering window E, in which you are actually doing something. So clicking on B and giving it focus disturbs the flow of work. Just minimising window A would have solved the problem in one click.

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@why...

Because sometimes, after a really hectic day, when I have 30+ windows open (today is a quiet day, I've only 24 windows open) with different terminal sessions (currently 12 different systems on the network), browsers (this one, and a separate window with two Nagios status pages, and two multiple tabbed HMC windows onto 16 different HMCs in the environment - it's a big environment) , document readers, configuration windows, notification windows, mail clients, it's nice (especially with a "Minimise All" button) to clear the desktop without having to worry about loosing your carefully arranged windows positions.

I appreciate alt-tab, sometimes it's takes too long to work out which xterm is which.

And yes, I use multiple desktops to reduce the clutter, and yes I have automatic setup of windows when I log in.

Also, in your case, sometimes window B is completely obscured, so how do you click on it?

8. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

There is some progress...

At least it is not all gray anymore.

I still use KDE simply because it works better for me. Will give GNOME a shot the next time I redo a test server.

Either theme is better than Windows in any event.

9. A J Stiles
    Coat

But .....

Will it be possible to launch applications by clicking on them once, and type in text boxes just by hovering the mouse cursor over them?

Cos that's how it always used to be in The Olden Days before KDE and GNOME, and how I still have my KDE set up; and that's also why I invariably end up sitting staring stupidly at a highlit icon wondering why the application hasn't opened anytime I am forced to have to use Windows (which, thankfully, isn't often).

I'll get my pipe and slippers as well .....

10. Marco van de Voort
    WTF?

Ubuntu useless, Fedora useless, what next?

Did I just leave Ubuntu for Fedora to escape experimentalism, if I understood this correctly, now Fedora starts with it.

Does Slackware still exist?

1. ponce_
      Thumb Up

Volk rulez!

yes, and the good people of gnomeslackbuild.org are providing nice gnome 3 packages for it :)

looks like Pat is taking Slackware in front of the crowd, still keeping it rock-solid :D

11. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Unhappy

I'm depressed

As a long term UNIX user and more recently (13 years seems recent to me) Linux user, and having been taken through Sun View, OpenLook, twm, vtwm, Motif, CDE, fvwm, and various releases of KDE and Gnome, as well as many different experiments with the less well known desktop managers like Afterstep and Elightenment, I'm finding The World moving further and further away from what I want to use.

All I want is multiple overlapping windows, with a focus policy that I can change to what I want, and a quick way of starting any of the applications I use in a constant and consistent manner that does not conflict with selecting already opened windows. Multiple desktops are nice, and starting up a walking menu, either from a fixed point on the screen, or from a button press over the desktop is all I need. I can cope without drag-and-drop between folders and onto applications, and I can live without using the 'desktop' as a drop area to hold files (all this does is make you messy and uncaring about where on the system your files actually are).

I'm thinking of giving up completely on computers, grabbing a broom, and applying for a street sweepers job.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

This icon depicts a pint of beer.

Beer has been around for a very long time with a similar basic recipe. I quite like beer. There are different types of beer, and sometimes a brewer will create a speciality beer with some extra flavour or ingredient.

However, I would be really f*cking annoyed if the brewer of my favourite real ale decided to turn it into a lager, under the same name and discontinuing the previous product, because a group of shandy-drinking lightweights started buying different-sized glasses.

13. Kubla Cant
    Thumb Down

What a drag

OK, I'm using the touchpad on a laptop. Moving the pointer and clicking are easy enough, but dragging doesn't work very well. Maybe it's me, or maybe it's my touchpad, but in order to drag I have to hold down a button and slide my finger on the pad. This is sufficiently awkward that I end up using two hands.

So a simple click to minimize/maximize/restore a window becomes a two-handed operation. I think I'll give it a miss.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Change at least

Does this mean they've finally ditched the lame 'poor man's Windows 95' interface with the ridiculous quantity of menu bars wasting all your precious screen real estate?

15. Martin Howe

"Mobile devices, Phones, Tablets and The Cloud are in. Desktops are out."

Not for me they're not - their screens are too small for the things I do and I'd trust the cloud to keep my data safe the same amount I would trust al-Qaeda. Oh and I'm a mostly NON-mobile power user, not a kid hooked on blingy games or a stockbroker updating their share options on the train :P

16. Ian 55
    Linux

Why am I the first

to mention Enlightenment as a viable alternative? Sensible (right click wherever you are) and pretty.

But yes, this is the huge advantage of *ix - if you don't like how one window manager looks, there are about a hundred alternatives.

17. HughNoble
    Unhappy

Not a fan

I'm not a fan of where Gnome is going. It seems they're trying to dumb it down too much. I can see how it would be good on tablets and netbooks but not on real computers. I also don't like the look of the new Unity thing for Ubuntu (though it looks nicer than Gnome3.

I think it's gunna have to be KDE for me from now on unless they sort it out. I just can't imagine using a desktop environment in which I can't minimize windows or have a proper menu system.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like