back to article Cable vendor slapped for unproven claims

The Advertising Standards Authority has slapped hi-kit supplier Russ Andrews for claiming its super-duper mains cables could reduce radio interference on the power line. According to the the company, its PowerKords reduce noise in the mains supply because they are wrapped up in woven conductors, enabling the company to charge …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Error correction - good, but far from perfect

A number of people have, quite understandably, mentioned error correction.

Afaict, at the time I am writing this, no one has yet mentioned the fact that error correction is not infallible. If things are sufficiently bad, or you are sufficiently unlucky, errors can occur that will not be corrected. Mostly these errors will still be detected, but sometimes they will be undetected and the data that arrives will be plain simple wrong AND (at the digital level) NO ONE WILL KNOW. This is an inevitable characteristic of most error correcting codes.

In a pure-digital setup where the numbers are not representing an analogue quantity, you typically give up and do a retry at that point.

In a mixed A-D-A setup, it is theoretically possible for a design to attempt to guess the missing data e.g. by interpolation from the preceding and following samples (or some other digital or analogue filtering magick). I don't know if that happens in practice, but it's conceivable. Anybody know for sure?

Anyway, this real world digital kit that's so perfect, what does it actually do with an error that it has detected but not been able to correct? Just ignore it (see link below) and rely on filtering/interpolation, hoping that no one will notice?

Are there counters anywhere that keep track of corrected and uncorrected errors on the link?

Your $20 DSL modem/router has the relevant counters and plenty of geeks (sorry, people) know how to use them. It also has the ability to request a retransmit (via the IP protocol).

Setting to one side the ability to request a retransmit, are there no error counters in the hardware for these digital entertainment protocols?

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=275120&p=6271817

"If you think that the household mains looks anything like the nice sine wave we learned about in school, I suggest you go look."

Indeed. Been there done that. Some other interesting stuff in your post too (e.g. re current pulses/ringing from SMPS).

There is a whole load of junk talked on this subject to relieve gullible people of their money.But error correction is not a panacea, and having an error corrected digital link without commonly available tools to check whether it's working right or not is just stupid (or someone in the designer/manufacturers is hiding something).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

no

>> If things are sufficiently bad, or you are sufficiently

>> unlucky, errors can occur that will not be corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2%80%93Solomon_error_correction

>>NO ONE WILL KNOW.

>>In a mixed A-D-A setup, it is theoretically possible for a design

>> to attempt to guess the missing data

>>Your $20 DSL modem/router has the relevant counters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Error_detection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

>>are there no error counters in the hardware for

>> these digital entertainment protocols?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_detection_and_correction

>>"If you think that the household mains looks anything like the nice sine wave""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_filter

>>(or someone in the designer/manufacturers is hiding something).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=922&q=reed+solomon+decoder+datasheet&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdparanoia

2. Vic

Re: Error correction

> no one has yet mentioned the fact that error correction is not infallible.

Yes they have. That's why these digital links are described as "working" or "not working". The latter is when the signal contains uncorrected errors.

> the data that arrives will be plain simple wrong AND (at the digital level) NO ONE WILL KNOW.

No.

Whilst there is a mathematical probability of a random data corruption causing a valid packet hash, the chances are vanishingly small. You're never going to see that.

> I don't know if that happens in practice, but it's conceivable. Anybody know for sure?

In TV, for example, there are various "error covering" modes, but these usually involve just repeating a previous sample - this is why you get screen freeze when the signal goes very bad. This is generally unacceptable for audio because you get audio tics, which are very distracting.

What you do *not* do is to try to make up the data you have missed. There is insufficient information about it, so any guesses will be badly wrong.

> what does it actually do with an error that it has detected but not been able to correct?

Depends on the severity. If you're missing a couple of MBs, you typically display the picture anyway - it'll have a purple / green stripe in it, but most of the picture will be there. If you miss most of the picture, you start by freezing the display for a short while, and then blanking it if you don't get valid signal quite quickly.

For audio, you mute.

> Just ignore it (see link below) and rely on filtering/interpolation, hoping that no one will notice?

There is no such hope - if the data is missing, the user will notice. You make the best of a bad job, and hope the stream recovers.

> Are there counters anywhere that keep track of corrected and uncorrected errors on the link?

No. If the stream is degraded, it needs to be fixed. Carrying counts is fairly pointless.

> Your $20 DSL modem/router has the relevant counters

A DSL modem is carrying asynchronous data. An A/V link is carrying isochronous data. There is significantly less you can do about errors in the latter case. Additionally, a modem is dealing with WAN signals, where latency is expected. An A/V link is dealing with local signals, where latency is minimised. These situations add up to one system that can use retry protocols, and one that cannot.

> There is a whole load of junk talked on this subject

There certainly is.

> an error corrected digital link without commonly available tools to

> check whether it's working right or not is just stupid

Not so. It is appropriate for the medium.

> or someone in the designer/manufacturers is hiding something

Or, alternatively, yet another AC on an Internet forum doesn't actually know what he's talking about.

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Will all those who are absent please raise their hands

"Mostly these errors will still be detected, but sometimes they will be undetected and the data that arrives will be plain simple wrong AND (at the digital level) NO ONE WILL KNOW."

"Are there counters anywhere that keep track of corrected and uncorrected errors on the link"

You mean to count the errors that were undetected?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Michael Dunn
    Coat

@Steven Jones

"Higher quality cables may be capable of longer runs, but they won't improve picture quality."

Here's a mystery - I still do not believe that bog standard telephone cable can carry signals of up to 2/5/8 Mhz, so how does ADSL work?

Yes, I _do) have a copy of the Ladybird Book of Computing in the pocket - they can't explain it either.

1. Steven Jones

Hows does ADSL work

OK - back to my physics days. The reason why ordinary phone cable can carry ADSL signals is that (from the exchange) it's a balanced pair - at least until you hit the household wiring when ring-line separation (at least in the UK) can be a problem as can some nasty home wiring kits. Both are easily dealt with.

Note that the pairs from the exchange are fairly loosely twisted, as they were designed for noise rejection at a fairly narrow range of audio frequencies. Nevertheless, it's good enough for ADSL. What essentially happens with ADSL is that it uses a relatively low raido frequency band (about that of MW/LW) up to about 2Mhz. That bandwidth is separated into a number of sub-channels of, I think, about 20Khz each. Each sub-channel is assigned a number of bits depending on how good the SNR ratio is as the receiving end. The higher the frequency, the more the signal is attentuated (largely due to skin effects with I did the calculation - at higher frequencies less of the copper is used, and at the characteristic impedance of phone lines, then the resultant increase in resistance seems to be the main cause of degradation). Anyway, the upshot of this is that the higher frequencies get attenuated more and can carry fewer bits.

Each sub-channel is modulate using an encoding system called QAM (from memory) which uses both amplitude and phase modulation. Indeed it's what modems used in the dial-up days before broadband, but confined to audio frequencies (and the reason it was confined to audio frequencies was simply because the signal had to pass through a digital exchange system than itself could only encode 64Kbps, in Europe, or 56Kbps, in the US). As ADSL signals only go as far as the DSLAM in the exchange (or streetbox), it never hits the exchange.

Anyway, really clever stuff is how the signal is how the signal is modulated and de-modulated. Back in the old days it was done using inductors and capacitors and analogue circuits and an ordinary phone line would be lucky to hit 9600baud and the modems were physically huge. However, these the modulation is essentiall created as a digital signal in the first place which is then put onto the phone line using a digital-to-analogue converter (DAC). As the far end, the very much attenuated signal (perhaps reduced in power by a factor of a million or 60dB) is converted back into a digital one using an analoge to digital converter. Then a bit of magic happens - the string of numbers representing the, buy now, heavily distorted modulate signal is def into some very clever mathematical algorithms which essentially reconstruct the relevant bit streams.

This bit of magic is called Digital Signal Processing (DSP) and is at the heart of all modern high speed communication and digital broadcasting. DSP is truly one of the wonders of the modern age, and is only hard-core mathemeticians.

So those that say that there is no such thing as a digital signal are right - well, at least over cabling of any length.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

ADSL

> I still do not believe that bog standard telephone cable can carry signals of up to 2/5/8 Mhz, so how does ADSL work?

Hell, 5MHz signals can travel thousands of miles with no cable at all. The cable's only there to make sure that your 5MHz only goes to your house...

4. Andy Mc

I'm also an engineer.

If your kit's power supply isn't well enough designed to reject significant noise from the mains input then the chances are it's not going to have had much effort put into amp design either (or anything else for that matter) so buying a 1250 quid mains lead isn't going to make your day any better.

Similarly, if your 99p HDMI lead is causing dropouts (and any errors on audio or video will be hugely obvious), splash out on a 1.99 one with a little bit of copper between the connectors. That'll do. No, error correction is not a panacea. But if the 2b/10b, 4b/10b and 8b/10b coding on HDMI's not up to the job then you've either got a *really* badly made lead or some serious noise around. And lose the paranoia. No-one extracts error correction stats because the recovery is entirely automated and done at such a low level (i.e. not software) it would be annoying (not to mention pointless) to do. All anyone cares about is worky/no worky, not how hard the error correction's working.

5. John Diffenthal
    Unhappy

Yet another RFI claim

While the court has determined that Russ Andrews should abandon its RFI claims, their web team hasn't heard the news:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=0&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1541&customer_id=PAA1407017111957EBSUSEJFVDMYMVUB

6. Fogcat

That's nothing

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Power%20Cords.htm

but I especially like these

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Cable%20Spike.htm

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"one system that can use retry protocols, and one that cannot."

@Vic

"one system that can use retry protocols, and one that cannot."

Exactly my point.

In a DSL setup, if an error is detected but not corrected, the data "goes missing" at the DSL layer, and if you're lucky the IP layer retries. Errors which are detected are counted, separately for correctable and uncorrectable errors. Therefore you can tell the difference between an occasional burst of errors due to external factors, and a consistently degraded link due to marginal transmission quality.

It appears there is no such option in these entertainment connections, instead if an error is detected but not corrected they attempt to replace the missing data with a fake, and if the error is not detected the incorrect data must by definition get through and no one is any the wiser till it hits the audio or video.

"the chances are vanishingly small. You're never going to see that."

The chances of an error are indeed very small per frame/cell/packet, the number of frames/cell/packets/whatever is however outrageously high. Therefore errors will happen from time to time, and could in principle be counted (as per DSL modem). Whether any given error burst will be seen (or heard) by the end user is a slightly different question. The chances of an undetected error are even smaller, but that just means it'll take longer for one to occur.

@AndyMc

"No-one extracts error correction stats because the recovery is entirely automated and done at such a low level (i.e. not software) it would be annoying (not to mention pointless) to do."

I'm not paranoid. I'm just aware of what "industry best practice" might be (as exemplified by $20 DSL modems with error counters as an architectural requirement), and what makes a poor/cheapskate design (an error correcting link with no performance indication except when the user sees the result of errors).

@Daniel Palmer

Thank you Daniel, I'm one of the many readers who will know what Reed Solomon error correction is. I even know what turbo codes are, and a whole load of other stuff. So what? No error detection/correction is infallible, not Reed Solomon, not turbo codes, nor any other. Did you actually have a point to make?

1. Andy Mc

@AC

"I'm just aware of what "industry best practice" might be (as exemplified by $20 DSL modems with error counters as an architectural requirement)"

Erm, that'll be the wrong industry's best practice.

I suspect you'll find that the main reason for the quantity of low-level info presented by DSL modems relates to the amount of difficulty a very significant % of users have getting reliable high-speed connections. If you go out and ask your friends, assuming you have some, how many have link, latency, throughput or data loss problems with their broadband vs. their HDMI link from STB to TV, I think you'll understand why it would be a pointless exercise (and increase the cost to the end-user) to implement lots of low-level debug on every HDMI-equipped box.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

"your friends, assuming you have some"

Struggling to find something in the message to attack, are we, so reverting to the usual fallback?

Anyway, the DSL stuff is usually on an SoC; impementing counters basically comes for free, in a box costing $20 or so.

The common consumer kit (HDMI sinks?) in this HDMI picture costs what, twenty or fifty or maybe even a hundred times the typicall DSL box, but you and/or the vendor presumably say there's no money for half decent diagnostics so customers or installers can see how well things are working? Not even at nearly zero marginal silicon cost to the vendor?

Oh yeah, some poor soul would have to write some software for it, and since most consumer electronics software already struggles to do what the customer paid for it to do (how many PVRs have basically junk software?), where would be the RoI on that? After all we couldn't possibly let folk ssh/telnet in to the box and read from /dev/kmem could we (which is basically zero development cost)?

HDMI. Highly dubious media interconnect.

I don't actually mind if folks have taken an active decision to degrade the possible functionality of this kit (despite the fact that the diagnostic functionality would have an insignificant marginal cost).

What I do mind is this ridiculous "it's digital and it's got error correction therefore nothing significant can go wrong". It's just wrong.

Have a lovely weekend.

1. Andy Mc

@AC

No, you see I'd already made my point, which was that you're the only person who wants pages of pointless info to make crappy interfaces even less comprehensible :)

2. Vic

Retrying...

> "one system that can use retry protocols, and one that cannot."

>

> Exactly my point.

then you haven't thought through what point you're trying to make.

Isochronous data is real-time. If you retry transmission, it is late. This would show up as pauses or drops in the displayed data - and remember that you will have do duplicate the artefact on both audio and video streams if they are to remain synchronised. This is not feasible for consumer equipment - if you really have lost the data, by far the least noticeable way of dealing with it is just to give up on that chunk and start again. Attempting to get a retransmission would make the error very much worse.

> Therefore you can tell the difference between an occasional burst of

> errors due to external factors, and a consistently degraded link due

> to marginal transmission quality.

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to prove now. So what if we can detect trends in the error rate? We can't go back in time and make those errors not happen - which is what is needed to relay isochronous data on time.

> It appears there is no such option in these entertainment connections

Some equipment may hold historical data for debug purposes - but that is all. Kit generally doesn't offer up such debug info because it is of no use to a user.

>"the chances are vanishingly small. You're never going to see that."

>

> The chances of an error are indeed very small per frame/cell/packet

Have a look at *how* small.

> the number of frames/cell/packets/whatever is however outrageously high.

Not high enough.

> Therefore errors will happen from time to time

Random errors creating valid has checks are a mathematical possibility only. If I had a tenner for every time it had ever happened, I would have nothing.

> and could in principle be counted (as per DSL modem).

Now you're confusing two things: whether errors occur (they do), and whether that error creates a valid packet (they don't).

But counting errors serves no purpose: you can tell if the link isn't working because you can see or hear it. Attempting to do anything else means you are breaking the real-time nature of the signal - and that will cause far more problems than it solves (as well as being undesirable in the first place).

Vic.

8. Sam Therapy
    Thumb Down

This kind of garbage has been used to sell guitar cables for years

Monster Cable are one of the worst offenders. The "directional" angle is also used by Planet Waves.

9. Michael Dunn
    Coat

RFI?

As an amateur who has dabbled in electronics for some 60 odd years, I can't help thinking that a couple of capacitors across the mains input connections of a piece of equipment would do a decent job of filtering out RF, coupled, if necessary, with with a couple of RF chokes in series with the mains input wires. One is then able to spend the £1249.70 saved on a world cruise.

Ticket in the pocket.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

"make crappy interfaces even less comprehensible"

"the only person who wants pages of pointless info to make crappy interfaces even less comprehensible :)"

Suppose the "errors detected - corrected, uncorrected" information *was* there somewhere, even tucked away in a dark corner where it didn't interfere with the market's appreciation of the sylph-like beaty of the UI as shipped.

If it was there, how long would it take for someone to prove that folks like the cable manufacturers in this picture, and maybe even outfits like Belkin, were (in general) selling vastly overpriced snake oil? How many people would want that?

More to the point, how many people would *not* want that (other than your good self)? Would such information be sufficiently dangerous (to the hi-fi media and the likes of Belkin and Russ) that it would be impermissible to provide that functionality?

11. Paul
    Boffin

gullible hifi buyers

I studied elec/electrical eng at university (graduating about 20 years ago) and even back then I was amazed by the marketing efforts selling products claiming dubious levels of performance. I even considered whether I could concoct devices which would be functional but expensive which could offer genuine performance improvements specifically targeted at the rich, but I didn't think I'd be able to make a living at it. Boy, was I wrong :-(

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like