back to article Dead baby taunting troll feels wrath of law

Do not piss off the moderator – or a jail sentence could await you. In fact, do not generally piss people off on the net, or the same may apply, as unemployed Colm Coss of Ardwick, Manchester is likely very soon to be finding out. Mr Coss is a troll, with the particularly unpleasant habit of seeking out online tribute sites – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Scorchio!!

Indeed

That is quite so. This was of course dashed off during the heat of other battles on this side of the screen, some 27 years after graduating in philosophy, but thank you for your pickiness.

Now for a finisher I'll point out to you that the Jimmy Edwards icon is not appropriate since it's for grammar. :-)

Do HAND.

1. Colin Millar
    WTF?

Fettering freedom of speech

Bad idea.

The courts have no framework for responsible use of freedom of speech because there is no legislation covering it.

The current legal restrictions are to do with inciting racial hatred or criminal acts. Some piece of rushed through legislation covering a narrow area should not be used to introduce major new directions in such a fundamental area of life.

The EU would like to introduce restrictions on criticism of government institutions on the grounds that they undermine confidence in public institutions. Various religious groups would like to shut you up with new blasphemy laws to stop all discussion of the rights and wrongs of their various agendas.

And the standard they all plan to use is "causing offence". If you can get enough of a constituency to say they are offended you can shut up all your critics.

And all this is apparently OK to some because at least it shuts up some mindless troll.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it matter who can access it?

There are plenty of things that I might email a lover about that I wouldn't email a friend's grandmother about. One would hope that the law includes a defence for people who email photos of medical procedures to people in the medical profession who have a legitimate reason to receive them and actively want them.

A proctologist may actually want to see a goatse-esque image. I do not but wouldn't want to ban emailing it to someone who does.

3. David 66
    Thumb Down

bad law

You can't punish people for saying things, and stay fashionable.

4. Edison
    Thumb Down

Bad Taste, Yes

I really think it's wrong to jail someone for trolling the Net. No one was hurt, no property stolen; people need to grow some thicker skin.

Jeez, what a bunch of pansies.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.