back to article Android rebellion: How to tame your stupid smartphone

Many Android users are finding their shiny new handsets almost impossible to use due to a plethora of issues needing ridiculous workarounds, from creating and deleting multiple cloud accounts to repeatedly hard resetting. The problems aren't with Android itself, though the platform still suffers glaring omissions such as its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Old Tom
    Thumb Up

Same problem for me too

New HTC Wildfire, running through the setup process it made me set me up an @googlemail address. When I try to download an app, it *always* hangs at 'starting download'. App turns up some time later, sometimes just as I turn off 'airplane mode' the following morning.

After getting the described download problems I was quite shocked to find the issue was widespread and has been going on for a very long time. From PC added @gmail to my google account and told my phone about it. Made sod-all difference. Reading lots of the forums on the issue left me unconvinced that japes like resetting the phone or changing from googlemail to gmail (or vice-vers)r @googlemail makes any difference at all.

Shocking that Google have let this lie for two years,

2. Subban

Got a Galaxy S here..

Fantastic phone, the problem with the email and having to factory reset is one I can relate too though.

I added two gmail accounts to the phone, but I added them as secondary email address first then the primary one (secondary one is less private and contained the 32 digit alphanumeric password to the other one; there was a reason I was arse about face ;)). I failed to find a way to switch that afterwards, and when I then tried to find a way to just delete the first email account, I couldn't.

Had to factory reset and this time just added the one address and be done with it.

It was a small problem though, I may have simply missed a setting somewhere but as the phone was only hours old it was probably faster to factory reset and just config it again.

The tone of the article does seem rather blinkered and not what I would have normally expected to read on the reg though, ho hum.

3. stuff and nonesense

About time

First story commenting negatively on Android....

The 'droid support has been wonderfully vocal and a accept that the majority of you believe that Android is perfect but i have news for you all....

It was written by men and women, it has flaws, just like every other piece of technology created to date.

It is good to see that you are loyal to your purchases. One day I will bite the bullet and get a smart phone... maybe go for the walled garden, maybe go for the open android... no choice made yet.

It is so nice to see so many noses out of joint today though....

4. Wrenchy
    Linux

Is this article

supposed to be a joke? No Android user I know of (I know many) has any of these issues. I certainly don't. For what it's worth, I hear of a lot more issues with the iPhone than any Android phone. For a phone that touts itself to "Just Work", it's doesn't always.

I think you would hear more of these "issues" with Android on more tech sites if they were true. But somehow I don't think they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

That's because android users are full of themselves.

They daren't mention the problms they are having, otherwise iphone users would laugh at them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Loyal Commenter

Thank you for your response, but there is no such setting on the Galaxy S for point #4.

With regards to the text message delivery reports, what I mean is that I want reports to be on, but not to be notified by them. So I'd like to be able to go into a text and check whether and when it was delivered, but I don't want something appearing in the alert strip as if I've got a reply from the person to whom I just sent a text. It's rare that you actually want to be notified by a delivery report, so perhaps it could be a third option (off / on but silent / on and notify). Or perhaps I should just look into writing an app to do this.

Yes, Swype is amazing, at least on a big screen (you can buy it from the market), but lately it's been telling me that it can't open English-UK (dictionary). Ahhh!

If it wasn't for the bigger screen that allows me to read PDFs full width on the train, I'd have kept my HTC Hero.

6. Mikel
    Pint

The article is not a disaster

El Reg has to poke fun at everybody, and it's Android's turn. That's what they do here, and it's what keeps us coming back. The hung download issue is a huge issue for a few people so there's some substance to it. But then there's this:

"Not that everyone has these problems - some lucky Android users just buy phones that work. But an awful lot of people are suffering from some, or all, of the above problems, and Google isn't going out of its way to help."

That's overstretching it, and it goes rapidly downhill from there. It's not irreverent and funny, it's bitter and overblown. If the article had gone to just the line before and closed with some of TheRegister's customary wry wit, it might have been passable. Better still would be to also trim the exposition up top by half as many words. Perhaps the authors cared too much. When you're writing angry or frustrated it's best to let the draft sit a few days before going over it to make it fun to read.

Certainly we'll see in the near future an article here that does roast Android well, with good humor. This just isn't it. You know what? Nobody's perfect. We've just come to expect such awesome performance from TheRegister's authors and editors that when one falls flat like this we're disproportionately disappointed. We'll get over it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Gotta love the fandroids

They bitch and moan that every article is about apple, they get an article all to themselves full of potentially useful tips and they launch into full rant mode and best of all is the iPhone hatred/envy, hilarious.

8. t1mc

A bit of a ramble

T'was an interesting article which did highlight some of Androids deficiencies.

I've just bought four phones for my family recently and am now skint.

The missus moved from a n95 to a Satio and is happy as larry that she has a 12mp camera.

My youngest daughter has a nokia x6 which she loves...music/wifi/facebook etc

My middle daughter has an iphone4 so she's in line with her bf and once I'd set the bloody thing up with itunes etc all has been good

I have spent months looking at what would be an ideal upgrade to my UIQ3 P1i, a three+ year old phone that had solid wifi, good battery, a reasonably useful keypad, good for reading books, RSS, facebook, business card scanner, decent camera, fab lcg jukebox, song recognition etc etc.....I plumped for a HTC legend based on some stunning internet reviews.

It's a lovely and well designed phone but has been the hardest of all the above to set up with my home wifi....I had to get a belkin wireless router (that I luckily had knocking around) and daisychain it to my wireless network. A bit extreme but it was the only fix..i tried all the multitude of android apps that stop disconnections etc but none worked. This needs sorting as it is something that is vital to the operation of a constantly updating phone for obvious reasons.

Then of course I was unaware of the stupid gmail issue and had to factory reset.

I was never going to buy a samsung because they make good tellys and overtooled phones (look good but never seem to have the ability to deliver).

I nearly bought a N97 mini but I do think Nokia has lost its way a bit of late.

I was never going to have an iphone, as nice as they look I just cannot agree with the business model...criticise M$ for years then deliver iphon£....another closed system with dubious areas of censorship.

I do like the HTC...will I love it? Not sure, as with most of the handsets discussed the battery appears to be incapable of removing the need to be attached to a cable for great lengths of time.

Personally I liked UIQ3 the best, it did all that the current phones do and it did it longer....what happened to the last three years?

I like the double tap as it stops you selecting the wrong thing when using a product which is designed to be in motion, then having to go back to where you were to try selecting again.

I like the HTC capacitive screen but also liked the reactive screen because when you are searching for something in google and you need to edit the search string you can easily select the place you want to insert text without it zooming and all manner of crazy things.

And I liked the scrollwheel as it made the machine easier to use in one hand.

The HTC is definitely slicker but possibly a touch more dumbed down, or at least it felt that way when personalising it.

Is it as slick as the iphone? possibly not, but I think in the absence of my UIQ3 preference my Android HTC legend is a good choice and I certainly don't feel that my daughters iphone offers anything more and of course it cost twice as much.

9. JEDIDIAH
    Linux

Android rebellion indeed.

You know, I have a SHELL SCRIPT. Yes, that's right a SHELL SCRIPT on my iPhone because the guys at Cupertino don't seem to have a mind for business. I created it for quick cleanup of my SMS messages as I might get 300 pages in a day. Apple didn't seem to acknowledge this possibiilty as most phone makers like Nokia do (with a delete all button).

I would have thrown my phone against a wall by now if not for that hack.

10. jonfr
    WTF?

Forgotten problem

There is one forgotten problem not listed here. On many handsets you can't upgrade Android. One of the being a Huawei device phones. I have one with Android 1.5 and I cannot upgrade it to newest Android.

11. ratfox
    Dead Vulture

Calm down, iFanboy...

Really, I believe it is possible to write an article about the problems of Android without such nastiness, and without a somewhat irrelevant apology of the iPhone. True, the Reg spares no one, but this is still severely biased reporting. I do not recall reading such vitriol during the antennaGate thing.

And I say that as a happy iPhone 4 user.

12. Timjl

Just to say

I've got an android phone and haven't had any of these problems.

13. David Simpson 1
    Thumb Down

Facts or wild speculation ?

So any chance of listing:

*Which phones suffer from the problems

*What firmware version they are running

*How many actual people are having these problems

That would maybe be a few too many facts for this author, such as the fact that Android has supported bluetooth keyboards since the Dell Streak launched. D'oh!

14. Jess

If Google really wanted to annoy Apple...

... they'd make a version of Android for all the old iPhones that won't run the latest wersion of the OS.

15. Russ Tarbox

Sounds like Linux.

It's great so long as you want to get down and dirty. If you want shit to just work, go iPhone. And no I'm not an Apple Fanboi, I just appreciate what a consumer expects from a mobile!

16. Stephen Bungay

Yellow journalism

Spend some time getting the phone working.. "beating your head against the desk".. ROTFLMAO! Yeah..I put in the sim card, turned it on and IT WORKED! Wow, that was really difficult! NOT!

Downloading apps.. I select marketplace, select the app, say download, and guess what... it downloads! Amazing huh? Never had it lock up doing this.

Now I have had my nexus one crash... exactly three times, and all on the older (2.1) version of the OS. You want to know how I reset it? I popped the back off, pulled the battery out, pushed the battery in, and replaced the back. Oooo... that took some technical chops that did. Try even removing the battery on the iPhone... oh yeah.. you can't.. well, you CAN but it certainly isn't a simple matter.

Bottom line, Android is not perfect, never thought (or said) it was, but it is darn good and nothing like the article describes.

17. Jean-Paul

Couldn't agree more

I had a galaxy s. So much potential but a serious rubbish software implementation. The fastest phone around, but it lags, great super screen, but auto brightness doesn't go high enough in direct sunlight so you have to do it manually. Likewise in darkness, like in bed, it is too bright and have to manually lower it. The gps just never works properly. And even when it was released it was a software version behind.

Sure you can 'fix' some when you enter the hacking community with rooting and custom roms. But I rather not fix a device I just bought, it should work.

Only android phones I recommend are htc legend and desire. The rest just doesn't provide the same experience without a lit of tinkering.

Oh and you pathetic fandroids, if you want to give it out then also be man enough to take.

18. gribbler
    FAIL

Wtf?

There are many areas you could legitimately attack Android. The marketplace is crap, it's missing some key user friendly apps (I still use my ipod for podcasts because all of the Android apps are so useless), some of the settings and options can be confusing...

Like I said, lots of issues, BUT I know about 15 people with Android phones and I have NEVER heard of any of the issues in this article. Methinks they don't actually affect many people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Not used Google Voice then

It's a million times better than any Apple podcast app...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Comic Store Guys says

"Worst Article Ever!!"

20. LB
    Happy

Android rebellion: How to tame your stupid smartphone

What a Pratt, My Android phone is way bwtter than those Jesus phones.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Keep Your Problems Within the Family

This article was bound to generate a lot of angry comments from Android owners. They don't want iPhone owners to know that the grass is far from green on the other side.

22. James Whale
    Thumb Down

This article is utter crap

You have collated a few unusual problems and used them for the basis of a pretty pointless and transparently-biased article to bash an excellent platform and one which will soon be outselling iOS because of its openess and ease of use.

The issues you mention are not typical. The majority of Android users have a very positive experience and its rapid increase in market share supports this.

23. Karl Dallas
    Happy

I've never had any of these problems

I've got an HTC G1 and apart from the v.short battery life, have never had any problems with it.

24. David 138
    FAIL

Popping the bubble

I have had the stalling issue but none of the others. I guess thats because i know how to type rather than jab at a screen hoping it works.

Anyway i went android because because the iPhone has stagnated. Without any competition in the market the iPhone is quickly becomming substandard with a slow processor and the dated grey look. More importantly the iPhone 4 has a signal issue which i have caused first hand. Yes i know apple given a free case to fix a hardware fault but im not a twat. There is also the issue that as there is only one iphone if you ask them to fix it they offer you a refund. what choice does a user have but to stick with it.

The iPhone itself if OK, its stylings are a bit 1984 and you have to buy it from a shop which looks like a council house (Grey block if you dont get that), but atleast you get to look at them on ikea tables. My point is the iPhone aint great but the developers have done a good job. Lets face it you dont see any apple apps on their adverts.

On the upside the good developers are moving to Android :D

25. Niall
    Thumb Up

Hehe

Great article.

I love android but that googlemail.co.uk issue really got me too. Hard reset yay! AFAIK they have fixed it server-side now though.

I think this article is spot on. Android isn't perfect but is still by far the best OS.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like