back to article Twitter airport bomb joker loses second job

Paul Chambers, the Twitter joker victim, has been sacked from a second job a week before his appeal against a widely criticised conviction for sending a "threatening" message to to blow Doncaster airport "sky high". Chambers, 27, got into a world of hurt after posting an ill-conceived update on 6 January, after inclement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. teacake

@AC 2010-09-17 13:27

"I imagine any educated employer would have sacked the loud-twittered idiot for americanised vulgarity of expression and displaying lack of judgement and self-control. Would he have expressed himself in the same way directly to airport staff? Particularly if the member of staff was over two metres tall and weighed 100 Kg?

Of course one may lament the lack of proportion in official response. But, as for freedom: we are all absolutely free to say or do whatever we want. Conversely, we must also be prepared to take the consequences, foreseen or not."

Anybody else imagining that little outpouring to have been spoken in the style of Noel Coward?

1. CD001

Aaah

So he's not Anonymous after all!

1. Magnus_Pym

Free speech is a right...

... stupidity is a way of life. What did he hope to achieve by his tweet. Bring down the fascist state? I don't think so.

It was the weather that was causing the problem, by all accounts, surely he should have said 'clouds, if don't get yourselves sort I'll blow you sky high.'

P.S. I thought the proper spelling was high-poe-crea-eight

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

but

clouds are already sky-high

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, I used to work in an Airport...

And we had a way of dealing with People who made jokes about Explosives.

"Haha, I've got a Bomb in my bag!!" SOP was to call the Police who would have a serious stern word in old-Plod professional style.

We would offload the passenger, let them cool down, then rebook them on a later flight

FOC - free of charge, actually, but they'd learnt their lesson.

End of story.

But...

This was 25 years ago...pre-911 and pre-Twitter.

3. brain_flakes
    Big Brother

Counter protest

If this appeal fails then we should organise a national "post an obviously joking bomb threat on twitter" protest day to show how moronic this is.

You heard it here first (tm)

1. VinceH

Letters, Digits.

Draw airport on balloon.

Inflate balloon.

Job done.

4. Matt 13
    Grenade

But he wasnt in an airport!

If the chap was in the airport, stood up and shouted, "sort this place out, or come friday, ill blow this place up!" then, he deserves everything he gets... thats just stupid! but...

He was at home, on bloody twitter!!! there is a bit of a difference! Context people! please!

grenade... as im on hold and if the buggers dont answer soon, Ill hunt them down, strap them to a rocket and fire them at the sun..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who cares?

When you ban some moron from a large, popular website they usually threaten to sue you. When you point out that it's impossible to do then they immediately resort to threats. The novelty has worn off to the point that my response last time someone threatened to kill me was to suggest that the user probably wouldn't be able to afford an assassain out of his pocket money.

Now, funnily enough I don't have any issues with people being prosecuted for making threats at all, even ones they don't intend to carry through posted on the internet. It's not funny, and making threats has always been severely punished, the fact they are being published on the internet is immaterial.

5. Maty

possible defence ...

'Blowing' has more than one meaning. Rather than using explosives, perhaps the accused could allege he was contemplating offering his er ... services ... as a bribe to get the airport re-opened.

It used to be a crime to blow things up. Then it became a crime to assemble the materials to blow things up. Then it became a crime to read up on how to get the materials blow things up. Now it's a crime to talk about blowing things up. Soon ...

I'll stop now before I get arrested.

Oh, and we seriously need a 'police state' icon.

6. dave 81
    Thumb Down

Richard Herring

has publicly said the same exact thing, and yet, the police and CPS haven't even looked at him.

shows that the CPS and police are just after easy convictions to meet their blairite targets.

7. VooDooMonkey
    FAIL

What free speech?

What's all this talk of free speech. This is the United Kingdom. We don't have 'free speech'. And while we're about it, we don't have a recognisable constitution either (in the same way that the USA does).

People in this country keep going on about their 'rights'. Apart from those given to us by the EU we have none under British Law.

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      WTF?

Re: What free speech?

Is it relevant that the UK doesn't have a single set of documents that serve as a constitution? Parliment provides the constitution, it's modern and progressive (regardless of your feelings about individual laws), the US constitution is a good framework, but the time it was written in shows how dated it is (and how difficult to change), Bush 2.2 got in because voters constitutional rights were ignored, the patriot act (and other sedition acts) specifically prevent people saying things against the government (unlike the UK) which would be against the constitution, the right to bear arms is specifically so that "the people" could overthrow the government if they disagreed with them, although you're not allowed to buy a gun if you are anti government.

But I competely support your right to say whatever you like (even if it makes you look like an idiot).

8. Hans 1
    Paris Hilton

WTF

Christ, somebody must do something, have we found a way to connect brains with the rest of the body, yet? Some people, especially those working at airport safety, really need that operation.

Come on science, we need you! In any case, once these cretins die we should keep their unused brains for when we can transplant brains. If stupidity hurt, the world would be a better place!

I was gonna put something similar into this comment box, but I do not want a brigade of French police storm my flat.

Cameron Diaz, because she can blow anybody sky-high.

9. livefree

words

I was in Orlando Fl one time with my family, at a wild wave pool, and one of those micro-dust devils came through and picked up my umbrella and made me chase it across the park.

The wind BLEW IT SKY HIGH.

Uh oh, there are the word police at the front door now...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

A little chlorine in the gene pool

Do y'all have conjugal visits in the UK? I mean, if the girl in Belfast is not banned, I'd hate to see this guy reproduce.

11. yeehaw....
    Black Helicopters

Really stupid...

...but don't you think the guy might have possibly thought that Twitter was the same as being...... here?

.....cue ominous music.......

12. Neal 5

re Oh Dear

I imagine any educated employer would have sacked the loud-twittered idiot for americanised vulgarity of expression and displaying lack of judgement and self-control. Would he have expressed himself in the same way directly to airport staff?

American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, realize, and recognize.[56] British usage accepts both -ize and -ise (organize/organise, realize/realise, recognize/recognise).[56] British English using -ize is known as Oxford spelling, and is used in publications of the Oxford University Press, most notably the Oxford English Dictionary, as well as other authoritative British sources. The OED lists the -ise form separately, as "a frequent spelling of -IZE..."[57] It firmly deprecates usage of "-ise" for words of Greek origin, stating, "[T]he suffix..., whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Greek -ιζειν, Latin -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic." It maintains "... some have used the spelling -ise in English, as in French, for all these words, and some prefer -ise in words formed in French or English from Latin elements, retaining -ize for those of Greek composition."[58] Noah Webster rejected -ise for the same reasons.[59]

Other references, including Fowler's Modern English Usage, now give prominence to the -ise suffix over -ize.[60] The Cambridge University Press has long favored -ise.[60] Perhaps as a reaction to the ascendancy of American spelling, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK mass media and newspapers, to the extent that it is often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism.[56] The ratio between -ise and -ize stands at 3:2 in the British National Corpus.[61] The -ise form is standard in leading publications such as The Times, The Daily Telegraph and The Economist. The Oxford spelling (which can be indicated by the registered IANA language tag en-GB-oed), and thus -ize, is used in many British-based academic publications, such as Nature, the Biochemical Journal and The Times Literary Supplement. In Australia and New Zealand -ise spellings strongly prevail; the Australian Macquarie Dictionary, among other sources, gives the -ise spelling first. The -ise form is preferred in Australian English at a ratio of about 3:1 according to the Macquarie Dictionary. Conversely, Canadian usage is essentially like American.[62] Worldwide, -ize endings prevail in scientific writing and are commonly used by many international organizations, such as the ISO and the WHO. The European Union uses ise in its English language publications, though the EU may, even on a single page, show "organized" but "publicise" as well. "Synthesize" is used in international chemical journals.

Courtesy wikipedia, that clarifies the situation I believe. Americanized

13. Rolf Howarth

Carpets

Just yesterday I was moving a deep pile rug. Rugs are bloody heavy and a neighbour had to give me a hand, so we joked about there being a body in it. Does that mean we can now look forward to a conviction for conspiracy to murder?

14. Ben Norris

Missing information in the story

So what did he actually get sacked for this time? Surely nothing new regarding the case has happened since they employed him so unless it was something completely unconnected they would have no grounds?

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. abueloeddie

Who's running this 'ere asylum?

Re the Twitter bomb threat...

This man is a bloody idiot ! His actions betray his mental instability. What should we do with such a person? ( Always supposing that this country knew how to care for its mentally ill people, which it doesn't) He should be confined in Broadmoor, but will probably end up as yet another malcontent, drawing the dole and replying to Nigerian scam messages.

17. abueloeddie

Where'd it go?

What happened to my pithy ( hopefully) comment posted at 09.17 today relating to this topic?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Where'd it go?

Your incisive and thoughtful comment is up. There's always a large backlog to deal with after a weekend.

18. Chris King

@Ben Norris

Maybe he didn't declare his conviction on his job application, and his employer found out about it from one of the news reports ?

There's no way to tell if the second sacking is related to the original incident - for all we know, he could have been sacked for something totally unrelated, and Chambers is milking this for publicity.

There are two sides to every story, but one side seems to have protected its Tweets.

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      FAIL

@Chris King

He said "I thought they knew", you would have thought that either the conviction was trivial and unimportant and therefore why is he still bleating on about it, or that it was an important life-changer and that he'd make damn sure they knew, the third option is that he is an idiot and didn't tell them about a highly publicised conviction.

19. moonface

Credible threat?

I just wonder if Paul Chambers had not identified himself, so clearly through his twitter account and the tweet had appeared via an anonymous untrackable account. Would Robin Hood still be in a state of high alert looking out for TheRealBinLadin, TerryTaliban, SemtexSamir, etc.

The whole affair is quite ridiculous, apart from the criminal record and ruined employment prospects.

20. VulcanV5
    Grenade

Why we need Trident. Why we don't need accountants.

This is an instance the anti-Trident mob would love to hush up. . . because it demonstrates, beyond doubt, why this country needs to spend £billions on Trident.

Only nuclear missiles from a hidden submarine are going to be enough to deter failed accountants with Belfast girlfriends from executing their terrorist plans on UK soil.

We have the technology to track down these people. And in Trident, we have the means to wipe 'em out -- and they know it!

Yes, there may be some collateral damage.

But that surely is a small price to pay for defending beacons of Liberty such as Robin Hood Airport, Doncaster.

From which, or so I learn, EasyJet has just absented itself after arriving there amidst much hulabaloo in April and will now not fly anyone to anywhere if it's from Doncaster.

Had there not been all this uncertainty over renewal of Trident, I am sure Easyjet would still be there.

Yet again, an accountant is at the bottom of all this.

Robin Hood fought long and hard tol build his airport there. As a nation, we should hang our heads in shame.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.