back to article Oracle sues Google over Java in Android

Oracle has mounted a no-holds-barred legal attack on Google's Android operating system in a lawsuit that accuses the internet giant of deliberately infringing patents and copyrights Oracle holds for the Java platform. In a complaint filed late on Thursday, 12 August, Oracle asked a federal court in Northern California to seize …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Peter 39

iPhone

I guess that no Java on iPhone was a good call :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clever

Now you know why most companies wont use open source software in business..... it could suddenly become not quite open source and they get sued for billions.

Oracle is doing Microsoft and the other giants a massive favour with this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Opensource?

This is nothing to do with open source, this is Oracle sabre-rattling with some shiny patents it has acquired. Like others have said, the vagueness of the patants makes many VMs vulnerable, it's just google is first in the firing line.

Yes, Java's open source nature meant that accidental or intentional patent infringement is facilitated much better, but it happens with closed source propietry software too.

The real criminals, the people who approve software patents in the US.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now is the time for Xerox...

To release Smalltalk to the public domain. If they'd done that in the first place we'd not have had to put up with utter crap like C++ and (the not quite so crap) Java, let alone C#. Imagine using an OOL for OOP! Madness!

5. JJS
    Alert

Wait what?

A patent infringement suit not filed in the Eastern District of Texas?

SOUND THE ALARMS! THE END IS NIGH!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@breakfast

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play"

Classic. I wonder how many (few) readers caught the reference?

1. Munchausen's proxy
      Pint

Global Thermonuclear War among all software patent-holders seems a good idea

And I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help.

Actually, I'd like to see a Playmobil of the bad-movie clash of the dinosaurs - the Larry Triceratops in deadly battle with the Sergey/Larry Tyrannosaur, perhaps with a Jobsian Pterodactyl screeching encouragement overhead. I just wish I knew in advance who the little mammals surviving in the bushes would be.

7. Gil Grissum
    Grenade

Great

So now we know why Oracle really bought Sun.

What next? They sue everyone else claiming any implementation of Linux violates SUN Unix intellectual property? Same lawyer as SCO? Should be obvious what will happen. Oracle's days are numbered. Doesn't Google have more money than them anyway? Find a work around or pay them to go away and STFU so the rest of us can get back to waiting on FLASH to show up on our Android and Palm Pre handsets.

8. tomwerner
    Happy

Larry...

About time to get a Larry icon for the Reg I thinks... this is going to last for a few years.

9. Dave 13
    FAIL

The Larry

Forgive me for being a bit cynical, but you have to wonder why Oracle didn't sue any of the wireless carriers or handset makers. Could it be that Google has something Oracle wants other than deep pockets? The value of Sun in the long term to Oracle may be its IP vault. "Sue the bastards" isn't much of a business strategy but if you're sitting on top of Sun (dwindling value), it may be all you have.

Larry strikes me as more of a Go player than a Chess master. I wonder what his endgame looks like here? Quash OSS as a philosophy? Make all bow on bended knee to The Larry? Pardon me if I look elsewhere for my DB, HW and Middleware needs..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Search results

I wonder if searches for the word "Oracle" will start showing funny results or related keywords....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that bad for everybody

Oracle has the ability to destroy Java, and I'm thinking that this is a significant first step.

Not all of what MS puts under the .Net Framework brand is part of the core that was submitted to

ECMA, but, for what its worth, they've made a pledge to not charge anything rather than a RAND amount. So you can implement the CLI/CLR and C# but you may be taking risks if you try to implement ASP.Net or WinFoms

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No need to licence Java

Its a programming language and programming languages are excluded from copyright protection. The vast number of standard library classes can be copyrighted but as mentioned they are all open source.

The only thing you need a license for is Sun's virtual machine. Google didn't want to, partly to avoid royalties, and partly because its rubbish. So Google made their own virtual machine, and compile Java to code for that machine (instead of Java byte code). If in the process they infringed some obscure patents sun had on virtual machine implementation then that can hardly be called wilful.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose it's no coincidence that oracle announce Java ME is touchui enabled today

By coincidence oracle have announced that Java ME is touchui enabled today:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javame/touchscreen-ui-163480.html

14. John Watts

Alternatively ...

Oracle do databases.

So do Google.

Oracle would like to use some of Google's technology or patents.

Oracle will shut up if Google lets them do x y and z.

That is all.

15. Wortel
    Thumb Down

title

"Google's Android infringes Oracle America's copyrights in Java and Google is not licensed to do so."

O rly? so you need a license in order to infringe, now that's novel.

David Boies needs to go Boiel his head.

Software patent lawsuits really spoil the day of tomorrow IMHO.

16. mumpster
    Happy

Prior Art

Patent 7426720 looks like malloc so there is some prior art. and it should be dismissed as invalid.:-)

17. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Oracle as SCO?

Peculiar analogy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like