back to article Brighton NIMBYs complain over BT broadband upgrades

BT's broadband boxes have run into planning opposition again, this time from a group of conservation societies on the south coast. Five societies have launched a campaign against the new "monster" street side cabinets the firm's Openreach division is installing in Brighton and Hove. Their concerns echo a chorus of complaints …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Graham Lockley

Quick nurse, the screens

"Stop betraying your tabloid arrogance" etc.

Please could I have a share of his/her medication ? The ability to equate street cabs with litter has to be chemically induced and I want a share of it !

2. James Melody

Planning application here

http://tinyurl.com/32gqf7n

The above link is to a planning application for one

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

NTL / Virgin #

Anonymous Posted.

"How come NTL managed to lay fibre to the house without the need for huge street side cabinets?"

Thats because they don't..........Just a leaky bit of co-ax for the TV+BB and a couple pairs of copper wires stuck on for the Voice. "Fibre Optic Broadband" my a-*-e....

4. Tim Jenkins

I feel their pain

There's a picture at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecattell/4218894050/

"John Crompton, treasurer of the Muswell Hill and Fortis Green Association, said that the green cabinets have blocked pavements for pedestrians as well as preventing car drivers from opening their nearside doors."

(http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/08/07/bts-ugly-next-gen-uk-fttc-broadband-kit-angers-muswell-hill-residents.html)

I was trying to figure that last bit out, until it struck me that if the au-pair has rushed parking the X5 on the pavement outside the organic latte shop, it probably could be tricky squeezing little Oscar into his Bugaboo kiddy seat without damaging the optional metallic finish on that nasty green box thing...

5. Juan Inamillion
    Stop

Missing the point

For all those here shouting down the NIMBY's - (and I'm not about to defend them) it's all about BT seemingly riding roughshod over aesthetic concerns in the environment. If you live in Peckham High St then 'aesthetics' probably don't come into it. But the fact is that BT feel that they have the right to install boxes , cables and poles just about anywhere, without any real thought about how it fits in with the local environment. If you don't care about this then you, sir, are a philistine or a schoolboy.

This Brighton lot are not against broadband being brought into the area, what they're asking is for a little more sensitivity in the style and placement of the equipment. For those of you saying you wouldn't mind the box being in your garden all I can say is 'yeah, right'. See what that does to the value of your property. See how long it lasts before it's covered in posters/graffiti or door's broken. Or the road and pavement dug up and left in poor shape. See, it's not just the box, it's the whole thing.

I get out more, maybe some of you should too.

6. Stephen Gray

@ Juan Inamillion

Are BT responsible for social problems? I am a telco engineer NOT employed by BT so I have no vested interest. Please explain your poster/gaffiiti argument. Will twats who vandalise things stop because "its been installed with sensitivity"? Will roadworks be made a thing of the past by this sensitive install? As for the value of housing, I would pay more for a home with broadband so what are you saying exactly?

Perhaps it is you who should get out more.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like