back to article Ballmer says Windows will shame iPad

The race between Microsoft and Apple to dominate tablet computing is "on", according to chief executive Steve Ballmer. Today, Ballmer poo-pooed the iPad, saying that although Steve Jobs delivered some good work, the iPad is general-purpose, while Windows tablets will adapt to particular uses. We're in an iPad "bubble," …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. MegC

OS's

Windows 7 for the home PC - great OS...

Android for the phone - another great OS...

Both do what their designed for brilliantly.

What I don't understand is Apples insistancy that multitasking is a bad thing; seriously, my Amiga 1200 could do it back in the day, I wouldnt expect any OS I own these days to not multitask. If / when Apple get their heads out of their arses and fix the multitasking issue they will then be a serious long term competitor in my opinion, the only thing keeping the Ipad / Iphone up "there" in my opinion is the App Store and Apple seem determined to kill that with fire lately.

At the moment MS are doing well for me on the PC but if / when Google bring out a fully fledged decent OS that runs 90% of games and is stable enough I'll be there like a shot.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Thumb Up

Quite agree!

But we are IT geeks, we see the benefit. You're selling to users who won't miss what they never had. If it works fine as it is, it keeps it simple and less problems to fix for the O/S boys.

If in future they see the need for multi-tasking, then they may add it, but until it becomes a necessity, why bother with the grief?

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

What are you on about?

It's one of the worst kept secrets that iPhone OS 4.0 will have multitasking.

1. Hans 1
        Grenade

<The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.> title was: "?"

It's in OS4 and OS 1.0 had it before, where you needed it .... like play a tune and use google maps, always worked fine ... I don't want to do google maps and safari at the same time, it is useless I only have one tiny screen and I cannot resize windows (and if you ask for that, I'll import the Guillotine from France especially for you) ... ;-) Running both at the same time will only SLOW THINGS DOWN!

No, this multi-tasking shit is terrible, because they wanna keep the phone small, power efficient and responsive ... tell me, how do you do that with multi-tasking? Thanks!

What do you guyz wanna do with the phone that requires multi-tasking? No, come on, I REALLY wanna know ...

Just like this copy and paste non-sense ... I DO NOT, HAVE NEVER, NEED(ED) IT (I tried and managed it, of course ...), so why all this non-sense????? I see a number, I tap it ... even if I do not really wanna call, but just create a contact ... it is faster and less sloppy.

Next thing these geeks will want is an orifice that lets out brown juice when somebody (i.e. the boss) calls?

2. joejack
        Thumb Down

iPhone4 is Cooperative multitasking

a la Mac System 7, rather than preemptive multitasking. BIG difference. This is more marketing than tech, as most apps WON'T be able to run simultaneously. Of COURSE they could implement it the right way, but the iPhone/iPad are famously underpowered (presumably to save battery life). And if they did, I'm sure every Genius Bar would have a line of sheep around the block because they don't yet understand that they need a task killer like Android (yep, that needs work too). Still hoping to see a Palmpad soon, if only to give Apple/Droid some more ideas to borrow from.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Missing the point

Ballmer misses the point completely. The iPad is desirable and attractive to millions exactly because it's NOT a PC. No boot-up time; no DLLs; no anti-virus; no defragging; no patching; pretty much no configuration, apart from joining your wifi network and moving the icons around.

You just turn it on like a TV or a toaster and use it, without having to think. And the users don't care that it doesn't run full-blown Excel, because if they need that they'll have a desktop or laptop already.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

A new messiah has come, time to disavow the old one.

> The iPad is desirable and attractive to millions exactly because it's NOT a PC.

> No boot-up time; no DLLs; no anti-virus; no defragging; no patching;

Sounds a lot like a Mac actually.

Take away the ability to print or install VLC from a Mac and add a crippled desktop shell and you've basically got the iPad.

It used to be that the Apple faithful declared that the Mac was the alternative to the problems of a PC. Now that something new has been released, they have to revise all of that rhetoric Oceania style.

Right now, Apple is in that Mac-esque transition where they had the GUI market all to themselves. Microsoft will not give them nearly as much of a lead this time. Google won't either.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Droid tablets anyone?

As a smartphone the iPhone is great and easy to use... just needed a memory card slot / USB host, a better camera and a GPS receiver that actully works properly to make it better.

The iPad (bigger iPhone)... Needs a more unrestricted operating system that can run more than just iPhone apps. Also it needs more interfaces than just the touch screen, support for some USB devices (printers/scanners/cameras/usb hamsters) would be great. This is where I think it fails. But then again the iPad 2.0 might fix these things and make Apple more $$$.

Windows CE (Mobile) ... nothing good to say about it really unless you a Windows 9x style operating system. Lots of work needed to make it any good.

Googles Android (Linux) might pick up some points here hopefully if google can be bothered to add CUPS to it and add other usefull kernel modules.

If not then they all fail.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Thumb Up

Your thinking intrigues me!

Where can I get one of these USB Hamsters you speak off? My current one is still analog and really requires an upgrade.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Ballmer is a twat!

Clearly Ballmer is an idiot. Under his leadership, Microsoft is continuously chasing the real innovators. He is wrong again about the iPad, as he was the iPhone. The sooner the rest of the board realize what a fool he is, and kick him out, the better - bring back Gates (never thought I'd say that!).

On the Tablet PC front, I have a 2006 era HP TC4400 convertible (2GHz Core Duo). I use it mostly as a Tablet but can flip it, when proper keyboard is required. OK it's nowhere near as thin as an iPad, but function wins over form for me every time for me. I still manage to take it with me on holidays - even abroad*.

It runs Windows 7, Visual Studio 2010, Office, FLASH and ANY other Windows software I like. - no walled garden. - Jobs can go fuck himself.

* For US audiences - ABROAD is any other country not part of the USA - Yes, they really do exist - just look harder. When you spot one, resist the urge to make war with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

@REAL AC

"function wins over form for me every time for me"

I'll bet you walk around carrying your boom box to listen to music, eh?!

Form and function - equally important, you can't ignore either, or you end up with something like Windoze.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nothing to do with function over form...

The form of the iPad is directly influenced by it's function. "Weniger, aber besser"--less, but better--is plainly in evidence when one looks at the iPad as a functional piece of industrial and interface design. It really is quite brilliant once you understood it's premise--a device for the consumption of information.

"It runs Windows 7, Visual Studio 2010, Office..." So the iPad isn't for you--and neither are the devices that Ballmer is talking about. You want a touch screen laptop, which is what you have. Unfortunately, not may other people did and that is unlikely to change. Unless you are a freelancer or consultant that is travelling for work reasons, or perhaps a sales rep, why do you *need* Visual Studio when travelling? Why do you need a full blown spreadsheet, or word processor for that matter? Surely a laptop would serve you better? If you are going away for a holiday, or to see friends, surely a device that you can send and receive emails on, browse the internet (contrary to the noise, Flash isn't actually needed for the majority of sites) or *comfortably* watch films on a plane/train is all you need? I suppose you could work while going away, but that kind of defeats the point of going away. I'm genuinely interested!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Bubble? Yes.

On the bubble, he's right. The iPhoad is a buble device, a big bubble I grant you, but it'll lose the buzz after a while. The new toy smell disappears pretty fast.

MS won't be there to fill the void though. I don't think it's possible to predict who will, though I'm starting to believe it won't be any one player (there's room for a few), and it definitely won't be Windows on these tablet device thingies as long as Ballmer is in charge.

That's me thripney bit.

6. Matthew 17

Every portable device that has run Windows or a version of has been

Truly awful.

The portable Apple devices only work because they're locked down to make them idiot proof.

The Google / Linux devices that let you do what you like are cool but only if you're a nerd that wants to fiddle so will always have limited appeal.

1. ThomH

Even as an iPhone user, I accept...

... that Google's strategy is to offer extreme customisation not just to end users but to manufacturers and networks. A manufacturer could lock Android down to build an appliance if they wanted. In fact, if Google have their way then everything will migrate into the browser and 80% of the complexity will fall away. No need to differentiate between the means for opening/closing a web page and an app, no formal install/remove process for apps (it's dealt with automatically as a caching issue), etc.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

JEDIDIAH

> The Google / Linux devices that let you do what you like are cool but only if you're a nerd

> that wants to fiddle so will always have limited appeal.

I "fiddle" far less over my Archos. The idea that Linux is necessarily "fiddleware" is outdated FUD.

My Archos has much more storage. I don't have to futz with it all the time to manage what limited storage it has. I can just shove ALL my music and ALL my photos on it. I don't have to pick and choose or mess with stupid workarounds. It's all just drag & drop. It requires no special interface. Since I just want it all, the extra non-visual aspects of iTunes aren't particularly useful.

For end users, the Archos is the Bee's Knees because of the wealth of content it can offer off the grid.

No. The Apple "you must adapt to us" mentality is far more "fiddly".

It is MUCH LESS picky about what video it will play. This means that adapting video content for an Archos is much less "fiddly" than an iThing. Plus it holds a lot so I am not spending a lot of time managing downgraded copies of content or constantly transcoding stuff.

For Video, Apple devices are like an iPod nano.

3. M Gale

Have you used Android yet?

Seriously. It's about as much "Linux" as OS X is BSD. Turn device on. Swipe the little icon thing on the bottom of your desktop upward to reveal app menu. Swipe-scroll through list. Click on app. Run app.

How much simpler can you make it without hiring a personal assistant to do it for you?

Plus "Blow It Up" is better on Android than Iphone, and as for that robo defense game... was 3am before I realised what the time was and gave the phone back.

Android == for everyone, from grannies to geeks. And the stargazing app is better too.

Still, for a tablet I'd like at least the option of installing a "real" operating system. Android is okay, if you want the walled (or at least, waist high fence with latticework) garden approach. Something with a dual-boot so I can go from consumption to production mode on the same machine would be lovely.

Oh hang on.. AI's Touchbook. Does it already, apparently!

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Um...

"sleeker, smaller, and faster" - that'll be a smartphone, then. Only that is exactly what tablets aren't. microsoft heading for yet another fail.

8. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Paris Hilton

The 2 Steves

While Jobs is annoying and dislikable, Balmer comes across as stupid. What is he on about, this guy?

Now which icon, which icon... I know, feck'em both, I choose you, Paris Hilton.

9. Ascylto
    Alert

Yes we can't!

Ballmer for President!

Well, it would have worked in Bush's time. Even a chair-throwing monkey would do better!

10. Neil Greatorex

@SSR "Future eating of crow"

Why would one consider eating a Crow?

On a lighter note, I suppose one could consider the current crop as follows:

Nexus1 = Quail

N900 = Pheasant

Blackberry = Duck

Palm Pre = Chicken

iPhone = Turkey

Any Win mobile device = Crow

11. theloon
    Paris Hilton

YouTube reminder of Steve's last gaff.

Just incase you forgot how wrong this guy was before......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

Enjoy

:)

12. Telic
    Linux

The PC <> MS Windows !

Pity that the author of this article (Galvin Clarke) faithfully prescribes the brain-fog of equating "the PC" with Microsoft Windows.

My PC is liberated and turbocharged by Ubuntu Linux. No fiddling. No fooling.

www.ubuntu.com

1. M Gale

Don't forget..

..the alleged project to introduce the "Android Stack" to Ubuntu. I'm rather hoping it bears fruit. If it's anything like I'm thinking, it could be like a dual boot only without the dual boot. Click on the little robot icon and get access to the Android market, straight from Ubuntu?

Yes please.

Also Google, your little robot seems to be spreading to far more than just phones. Would it not be prudent to have different areas of the Android Market for devices that do, versus devices that don't, have things like accelerometers, touchscreens and solid state gyroes? Just thinking of heading a potential future problem off at the pass..

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Awww poor "chair" Ballmer

Awwww there there stevie It's ok diddums, you don't need to be jealous of of Apple and the iPad. I'm sure the windows tablet will be just as "successful" as the zune.

Fail icon cus after all it IS a windows tablet and Ballmer's ego were talking about here.

14. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

Whilst I have no particular love for Apple...

They do seem to be several steps ahead of MS in the useability and mobile O/S reliability stakes as my experiences of using Windows mobile have been awful, even when it is layered over by custom widgets added by the phone makers and 3rd party vendors.

I won't be buying an iPad though simply as I cannot see any functional use for it, but I would in theory welcome a reliable Windows based pad. None the less though, MS really must try harder at producing an easy to use mobile platform that actually works and that doesn't have to be constantly restarted due to crashes.

15. Martin Usher
    FAIL

Microsoft already has Tablet Computing

Been using it for years -- I use a Motion 1400 tablet. Very nice machine, well made.

Played with an iPad. Chalk and Cheese. In theory there's nothing to stop a tablet doing things exactly like an iPad but in practice there's Microsoft. Upgrading from SP2 to SP3 nearly cost me the system -- had to quadruple the amount of memory in it just to get the thing to boot. Microsoft don't do "small" and "slick" -- its all big and corporate.

Its the same in the Mobile space. MSFT had Windows CE on phones a decade ago. They never did anything with it.

Disclaimer -- Not A Fanboi.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wanting "the comfort of Windows"

It's only executives in very large companies who "want the comfort of Windows" - or can afford the on-cost for support and upgrades. Everyone else is heading somewhere else - ANYWHERE else!

17. Shane Kent

Ballmer shames Windows...

Windows would shame the iPad, but it is too busy being shamed by Ballmer.

If the iPad bubble doesn't burst, he should be canned. That would make him significantly wrong 2 for 2 (iPhone and now iPad).

Hey Ballmer you cheap f@#k, maybe start by finishing Windows 7, making a proper version of Media Center on Windows 7 for Canada. I won't buy it till you do! And hacking it to work in Canada doesn't count.

18. Petrea Mitchell
    WTF?

What is it with all the truck-bashing?

First Jobs says his tablet is a car replacing trucks, now Ballmer says the Windows tablets will be like cars shoving aside the truck of the iPad. And all this in the US, which really loves its trucks.

1. M Gale

Reminds me..

..of when theMother's S.O decided to pull up at a box junction. Two seconds later he was halfway across the box junction with a lorry where his car's arse used to be.

Ballmer, do you really want to take that on?

19. Bryan W
    FAIL

Uhhh, no?

The part where Ballmer says that PCs will still have a use once tablets become readily affordable and integrated in the market is a bit blind for such a celebrated mind IMO.

The way I see it, eventually we all will have a "universal" personal computing and communications device. (Lets not worry about how that comes about and who is made by it for now. It is just an inevitability, the direction of things.) If you wanted to use something at a desk, it'd more likely be like a docking station than a more expensive additional computing device that would require the same peripherals as a docking station anyways. Though, it'd probably be less docking and more like a bunch of paired Bluetooth devices working in concert with your tablet or "smart phone". We already have the tech, its just a matter of making it readily available to the masses.

Not surprising Ballmer got it wrong though. This is the typical MS shortsightedness that Apple and Google have been taking advantage of and has had MS playing catch-up for years.

20. Patrick 8
    FAIL

Steve Balmer is Not Double Fail but Multiple Fail for Microsoft

Steve Jobs = Looks Scary, But has Vision, Executes said Vision and Actually Delivers, Good for Shareholders

Steve Balmer = Looks Scary, Acts Scary on Stage, Speaks Scary, Has no Vision and Does NOT Actually Deliver to Market, Is Scary for Shareholders

This man has to go now!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Microsoft = floundering

Yep, it's confirmed for me now - MS is definitely floundering after this little tirade by the chair thrower. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt until now, but it just appears that they're simply deluding themselves and anyone else who'll listen.

Just means we're relying on Google now to keep Apple on it's toes in this market..but that's merely the lesser of two evils, so i'm not holding my breath there. C'mon MS...we need a game changer from you, and now...not more vapourware bollocks from the loud sweaty one. That HP slate thing isn't the best of starts.

22. alwarming
    Paris Hilton

The comforting oblivion of a plateaued existence.

The current generations hate icons: apple, google are on a growth path and most hated by the register community (& other arm chair techies).

They've knocked MS, IBM and intel out of preferred hate list. And lack of attention has been good for MS middle managers. By now they know how to make money out of their monopolistic cash cow. They know MS shareholders like to throw money without expecting any great results. So guaranteed cash cow + no real accountability for future growth = a comfort life. Plus, they have learned the blame game for failures.

What SteveB is trying to do is get some of that limelight back.. even if it is hate. He hopes if he puts the MS in a tough spot, it will probably wake up from the slumber to prove the haters wrong. But how wrong he is!! MS has developed a tough hide. They are not gonna learn new tricks to avoid a mild embarrassment. They've been socially outcast for so long that a few more mud slings are not gonna count. They are comfortable in milking the windoze customer base and will continue to do so.

Google is trying very hard to avoid the MS future. They want to stay creative and sexy past their 40s. But unlike Apple, they seem to have developed an aversion to public hate(ie the pseudo techies' hate) . So my prediction is that google will go down the MS path sooner than they'ld want. But as long as Jobs (or some prick like him) is at the helm of affairs of Apple, Apple would be able to hold out the inevitable.

Cheers to mediocrity!

Al.

Paris, coz she will eventually stop leaning new tricks as well.

23. /dev/me
    FAIL

I'll get you next time, Gadget! Next time!

A computer controlled by a touch screen. Flat and portable. A tablet.

Apple launched the iPad and it took off.

Now Ballmer is saying MS will outdo them. I don't understand. I've looked it up. Microsoft has been working on touch screen technology (together with HP) since before 1985. That's a quarter of a century of development(!!!) Microsoft should be the leading authority on touch screen technology, including UI design. And partnered with HP they should have the best hardware in the market.

Ballmer can laugh at the shortcomings of the iPad all he wants. But he has a 25 year head start in this field, and all he has to offer is that they will make a better iPad than the iPad /in the future/

- - -

My personal analyses...

What's the appeal of those special purpose devices anyway? It's just wrong. Does Ballmer really think the market needs more devices that can do this but not that, or that but not this?

No, and this will FAIL before he can say 'market saturation'.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like