back to article ID cards poster girl laments her £30

Angela Epstein, the Manchester-based columnist and ID cards poster girl, has written a furious lament for the scheme - and she's so angry she's started a Facebook group. "I never wanted to be a poster girl for the ID project," Epstein rages in her latest treatise for the Manchester Evening News. "I never had any kind of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RichardB
    Jobs Horns

If she thinks _that_ is theft

...just wait till she finds out who they are going to sell - or have already sold - the data associated with it to!

What was the list of internet 'mugs' that was doing the rounds? Wonder if she's on that yet...

2. Mr Larrington
    FAIL

Snk!

I have about as much sympathy for this person as I would have for Benjamin Netanyahu, were I to hear that he had stubbed his toe.

3. Ascylto
    Big Brother

ID Cards - a 'Solution' , thankfully not Final.

With a name like Epstein she should be much more wary of ID cards and databases. Has she no sense of history?

A little man with an unusual moustache used ID (with the willing help, by the way, of IBM) to sort out the people he wanted liquidated.

£30? She got off lightly!

1. David Adams
      Happy

She also writes for the Jewish Chronicle

This is her article when she got the card

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/24563/angela-epstein-uks-first-id-card-holder

Particularly liked this bit:

"Most significantly, some ventured that as a Jew I must be all too familiar with the sinister wartime echoes of having to prove identity. Why didn’t my skin prickle at the very thought of carrying an ID card?

Personally, I cannot see what there is to lose — and there’s certainly everything to gain. An ID card is a portable, convenient way to prove your identity without having to carry something like a passport with you — which is murder to replace if you lose it."

And i'd just like to add; SuperLOLs

1. Anonymous Coward
        Troll

Well..

I was going to say something about the upside of wearing a yellow star is that nobody will offer you a sausage roll at a cocktail party or ask you to work on Saturday. But it would have been tasteless, so i won't.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

@David Adams

"She also writes for the Jewish Chronicle "

You're s*%^ing me.

I'm guess this would have gotten an "interesting" post bag for the JC.

4. John Sturdy
    FAIL

Nothing to hide? in that case...

If she has nothing to hide, could she please put her latest few bank statements on the web?

5. Aaron Jacobs

A fool and her money

are easily parted

6. Captain Mainwaring
    Pint

That's the trouble with democracy, Angela

Back in 2005, Labour won the general election with 33% of the popular vote and assumed it had got itself a solid mandate for the role out National ID cards.

The opposition parties objected, the pressure groups complained, but to no avail, the legislation was passed and the procurement contracts obtained. Five years did pass by dear Angela and the Con-Libs did prevail, with 60% of the national vote, they said it was time for change.

So that's where we stand today. Both Conservatives and Liberals have made it quite clear at least for the past 3 years that were implacably opposed to ID cards and would go to the bother of scrapping them should they be elected back into power. Like the Labour party back in 2005, they assume they have a solid mandate from the electorate to pursue this policy and by the end of the summer, hopefully these wretched things will be history. Form a pressure group for their retention if you will Angela, but Labour's ID card project has come to the end of it's natural life-cycle and a hole is being dug for it's burial.

7. Ben 47

Expiry on Cards

@Captain DaFt

Actually:

"Their cards will become invalid one month after the Identity Documents Bill gains Royal Assent, to allow owners to fulfil travel plans. Shortly after the National Identity Register will be destroyed."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/27/id_cards_bye_then/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

LOL

She really is a tit.

9. Andy Barker

Hope she declares the refund...

If she does win and she counted the original cost as an expense, I presume that the refund will also be declared to her employer / HMRC to cancel out the original expense.

10. CD001

Maybe

Perhaps I'll find the Facebook group and drop the link to this page/comments section onto their "wall" - if someone's not already beaten me to it of course.

11. James 5

PRIZE PILLOCK !

.. that's all

12. fords
    Unhappy

Aww!

After a quick swatch on Facebook, I couldn't find her group. I really wanted to join it so I could point and laugh :(

13. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Joke

Godwin +1

Ihre Papieren bitte!

14. JohnG

ID cards, fees and ownership

The £30 fee was for expenses incurred in the processing of the application (and that's what the Identity Cards Act 2006 states). This would put it in line with similar government issued documents such as passports, driving licenses and visas. Such documents are issued to the holder but remain the property of the government and may be withdrawn under certain conditions (as the Identity Cards Act 2006 makes clear). The application for Epstein's ID card was duly processed and she paid for that processing. More accurately, she paid for some of the processing, with the bulk of the costs dumped onto the taxpayer.

IANAL but if the Identity Cards Act 2006 is repealed, perhaps this woman would be able to get her money back by selling her card as a curiosity.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Brilliant fail

From her own, earlier blog:

"You may think the £4.7bn scheme is a waste of money and I would admit that the thinking has been flawed in parts. But that’s the beauty of a voluntary scheme and a democratic society. You can choose to have one or not. The Tories have pledged to junk them if they win. And when I had a shmooze with home office minister Meg Hillier on Monday she wouldn’t say whether I’d get my 30 quid back if that happened."

Doh!

1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

Unfortunately,

There were enough misguided individuals in Hackney and Shoreditch to vote Ms Hiller back into the Commons. You can tell a lot about people by the company they keep.

16. Ben Rosenthal

silly moo

hadn't both the Liberals and Conservatives promised to bin this scheme in the event of either of them winning?

Doh!

17. Tim

"A blatantly cynical exercise in tactical popularism"

So that'll be, "Doing what most people want," then? It's almost like the government noticed that we live in a democracy.

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Boo frickety hoo ...

"But that’s the beauty of a voluntary scheme and a democratic society. You can choose to have one or not"

So there you go - nobody put a gun to your head and told you you had to shell out £30 for an ID card. You made the choice, knowing full well that your precious bit of plastic would be worth less than nowt after the election if the Tories got in.

You made a choice which, as it turned out, was the wrong one. That's life - deal with it. Consider your £30 to be your contribution to the moron tax and move on.

In the meantime, cry me a river ...

19. David Simpson 1
    Flame

Ha Ha

I wished she'd paid more just so we could all have a bigger laugh.

I also hope she reads this IDIOT ! You don't understand how hackable a central database is then shut up.

20. REMF

she dislikes kneejerk 'populism'.............

and she is also a prize idiot.

there is a significant tie between the two statements, and both revolve around her lack of understanding about what representative government is supposed to achieve.

21. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

Poster Girl

"I never wanted to be a poster girl for the ID project," Epstein rages.

I don't recall anyone (other than government and those whose wallets would be filled through involvement) banging on about how bloody wonderful the are, all over the place, given any opportunity, and she's still doing it now!

It is indeed amazing that any Jew cannot see anything wrong with ID Card or the NIR database, does not know or has not learned the lessons of history. I was amazed that anyone, Jewish or not, could not see the dangers.

22. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'm failing to detect any sympathy

Good.

23. Merchman
    FAIL

Facebook

There are 2 groups set up on facebook - muppets!

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=srp&sfxp=&q=id+card&o=69&c1=4#!/group.php?gid=118593128172936&v=info&ref=search

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=srp&sfxp=&q=id+card&o=69&c1=4#!/group.php?gid=123582937674980&v=wall&ref=search

The wall comments on the 2nd link are particularly amusing.

24. Chrissy
    Big Brother

Facebook

Facebook group is this one:

"Refund my ID card!"

I joined just to comment at the idiots.

Mugs

25. britling

But if a company goes bust...

What happens if you lose money in the real world?

If you purchase a product or service from a company that subsequently goes bust, and you didn't use a credit card to pay, then you would have to get in the queue to claim via the receivers. In all likelihood, you would not get all your money back, and may even lose the lot.

So, Epstein's claim that this is tantamount to theft wouldn't hold water even if she was dealing with a private company rather than a new government elected on a mandate to scrap the cards.

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/what-to-do-if-a-company-goes-bust/index.jsp

26. Roger Stenning
    FAIL

She's a journo, eh? So much for researching the topic...

The basic definition of theft is defined in S.1(1) of the Act.

The Act states that: "A person shall be guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it."

The key word here is "Dishonestly".

She paid for a product and service.

The product was provided (plastic ID card), and the service was the processing of her application, which presumably included scanning in her photo, fingerprints, and other biometric data ("please insert your retina into the retina scanner, miss"), which were then transcribed into a datafile which was passed through various means onto the card itself.

Since she was provided with what she asked for, there has been no dishonesty there.

The withdrawal of the card was in accordance with the terms and conditions of its issue, which she agreed to when she signed her application for the card in the first place. So, no dishonesty there either.

So.

No case to answer, then.

In short: She's a muppit of the first order.

27. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

And a red head to boot

One day I'd like to meet one who isn't mad or violent, or mad and violent.

there must be one out there.

<sign>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Nope!

I am the father of one and it started about 30 secs after she arrived and hasn't let up for 7 years now! Wonderful as she is, I can't wait for the magic 13 to be reached and WW III starts in my house!

28. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

How can cancelling this system only save £18m

They can't have burnt through c£400m *that* fast.

As I predicted this weed is going to need the equivalent of bureaucratic paraquat to kill.

29. neverSteady

Phew...

Thankfully I deleted my Facebook account a few days ago, I'll never have to hear about this again.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.