back to article Fanboi's lament – falling out of love with the iPad

As the iPad goes on sale in the UK (and eight other countries), I've had my own "magical and revolutionary" Apple tablet for exactly 56 days. And I'm using it less and less each day. My fading relationship with my iPad reminds me of a long-ago college fling with a young lovely. High anticipation, fervent consummation, growing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Beryllium Urchin
      Thumb Up

Perfectly reasonable e-reader

I agree the ipad could be a bit lighter, but I've found it's fine as an e-reader - the contrast and brightness and font size are adjustable, after all. Where I find it's much better than a Kindle is that it has all the other functions (video, remote network access, mail, internet, maps, etc) in a thin, light, instant-on package.

I also have to agree with the previous poster who said it has a niche as a WC reader ...

1. PeterM42
    FAIL

iPad usefulness

Who buys version 1.0 of ANYTHING in the computer world? - MUGS!

Surely by now everyone knows to wait till it (whatever) has been sorted out, debugged and made useful.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tabbed Browsing

The Atomic Web Browser has tabs and is much better than Safari on the iPad.

Personally, for what it's worth, it is my netbook that has become the unloved device.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

The iPad *is* the saviour of publishing...

...Judging by the amount of articles and reader feedback they're generating.

4. Jim 59

Sheet of paper

"For example, it's been a helpful business partner in meetings and interviews due to its abilities as an unobtrusive, silent note-taker with no display to get between me and my interview subject."

Wow. That's almost as good as a sheet of paper.

1. Monty Burns

News Flash! Sheet of paper learns to replicate!

Since when has a sheet of paper replicated itself to my PC without having to do a thing other than plug it in to it docking cradle? I'm no fan of apple and don't own any of the products however, I do use my phone to take meeting minutes which then get sync'd to my pc automaticaly. This makes turning these into more formal notes very easy and quick and in an email before a quick thing! Wouldn't it be a pain if the sheet of paper got screwed up, lost, burned, chucked in a bin .... etc etc etc

There are of course advantages to a piece of paper but your argument is basic, to say the least! At least try and be constructive.

However a sheet of paper is indeed usefull! You can role it up and throw it at somone who's fallen asleep in the meeting ;)

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Replicated easily....

As I throw it at the MFD as I walk back into the office, push 2 buttons and its in my email.

So I need neither the device, its dock or the terrible terrible software that it requires to get my notes stored electronically. Unlike plain text on a nice shiny screen my handwriting is so bad no-one can tell what I'm writing anyway. I can then put my paper in the recycle bin and save the planet :D

Do I get a cookie now?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

The lack of Flash

was unfortunately a deal breaker for me.

I'm by no means fond of it, but as a subscriber to Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited service I need it.

Marvel as far as I know have no intention of creating an app for it as they'd much prefer it if you got the app that they have released and pay a couple of dollars per comic.

6. theloon
    Black Helicopters

I'm a total fan boi...but not getting one either

Everything stated in the article is just why I did not buy it.

Multitasking and flash and you got my money Mr Job's

Backstop is a working Ubuntu on the iPad....and I still give you my money for the device.

If only I was a better or even a slightly decent programmer I would happly give up some time to the Ubuntu dev world to help....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

iPAD the perfect WC device

I don't understand the author. iPAD was made for WC. Not intended for a bathroom humor.

I do my casual reading in you know where, and serious reading when I am traveling. My casual reading is now replaced by iPAD. A stack of books, travel mags, are now gone, and replaced with iPAD. It is used for podcasts (wait-wait, car-talk, etc),, browsing, catching up on the market, news, some occasional shopping at amazon.com, etc.

I was so sure where iPAD belonged that it went straight to there after an obligatory ~3 days of being carried about. And it stayed there with a lot of use by all of the family members except when being charged. This had to said, and said anonymously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just how much time do you spend in the bog anyway?

Wait, Wait and Car Talk are hour long programs.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: iPAD the perfect WC device

"And it stayed there with a lot of use by all of the family members except when being charged."

Filthy! So very, very... dirty!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like