back to article Apple sends iPhones into 'Coma Mode'

Complaints about Apple's new iPhone OS 3.1 are flooding the web, with one poster calling it "the buggiest update that Apple has yet released for the iPhone." The problems being reported are legion. They include iPhones becoming totally unresponsive, dropped calls, poor battery life, difficulties with Wi-Fi connections, failed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

Oh my,

@DZ-Jay

How is the job at Apple working out for ya?

@mrkdvs

Spot on. :)

Personally I think the comment of an "unscientific" poll is wrong, surely any poll is simply that, a poll. The questions might not be scientific but the results stand for themselves.

Megaphone

@Michael C

Let me get this right.

You run iPhones, without any security in your 15,000 user exchange enterprise without any problem at all. However, security won't let you use a more secure system ?

I call shenanigans sir.

*yawn*

Comment pages relating to Iphone stories become more and more tedious as time goes on. I've got an Iphone, I love it, but I understand why some people don't like them. What I can't fathom is why they feel the need to tell everyone else they don't like them.

Thumb Down

@Tone

The link says...

"To reestablish syncing, have your Exchange Server administrator change the mailbox policy to no longer require device encryption."

That's gonna be a bit of a swine for anyone that's FSA regulated.

another title

Can I say it again, in light of some of the more rabid and self-congratulating comments? No problems here on 3.1. Not a one. In fact my old iPhone 3G continues to be the single most reliable phone I've owned, bar none (no it's not jailbroken, yes I've updated it and each of its 100+ apps whenever updates have been available).

Count the number of actual, genuine problems reported in this thread. Subtract the Exchange 2007 related issues actually caused by the now *correct* behaviour of unencrypted, non-3GS iPhones. Then compare the remaining number to the deafening roar of the hyenas jizzing themselves with joy over the prospect of a possible bug in their most hated Apple product, and tell me that 70% result in the poll means anything at all.

FAIL

3.1 is a duffer for sure, unless you can't resist rearranging Apps on the Springboard in iTunes, wait for 3.2.

FAIL

@alistair millington

I just did a poll. I got 100% result that says that you have green hair. I asked three three year olds. I think I can stand behind that result. "The questions might not be scientific but the results stand for themselves."

Black Helicopters

NOTHING IS WRONG

Nothing is wrong. the iPhone is perfect. go back to sleep

</mactard>

Happy

I'm waiting for 3.11

iPhone for workgroups

WTF?

@Tim Cook

"No problems here on 3.1" - freak!

Anonymous Coward

@ Noogie Brown

The Reg's young whipper-snapper readers won't understand...

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

It's not a problem

Apparently _not_ all iPhones owner are affected, so it's OK. And Windows is the most secure OS ever made, as _not_ all Windows computers are pwned in their first week of use. And _not_ all the people who get shot in the head die, so getting shot in the head is good for health.

Geez. Amazing how far in denial-land part of the iCrowd can be. S'pose it's due to the price tag. A mix between "it has to seem perfect so that I don't look like a fool" and "you get what you pay for ". The latter being the most idiotic piece of BS ever worded by Man. It instantly gets you a nice cosy room under "drooling cretinous ape" in my books.

She knows she gets what she pays for.

Anonymous Coward

Michael C

and not a single RIM device, since BIS will never be deployed here for numerous security audit reasons.

But you use Iphone and other smart phones ?? You no clue do you ?

Happy

@Noogie Brown

I understood!

LOL

Yep.

Confirming that mine is demonstrating occasional five-to-ten seconds pauses and has twice required a hard reboot since updating. I wouldn't call it "bricked", but clearly there are stability problems with this release.

I do wonder why people seem so keen to scream "nyah nyah told-you-so" like children at incredible length. Don't you people have lives? I don't particularly care for Mr Jobs, but the iPhone is the first phone or PDA that I've actually enjoyed using.

M7S
Bronze badge

Funny thing this updating business

I've just read lots of comments from Reg readers on the article about the IETF "Botnet" proposals saying, amongst other things, that 1) users should have all autoupdates turned on until they can prove "competency" and 2) users should pay for fixing their machines if they are compromised.

Whilst not suggesting that bricking their iPhone is the same as spewing out spam or malware, and as there appear to be problems with both the i-update in question and also Exchange (according to some comment), given that many readers are involved in the industry, although probably most like me are small-scale admins, issue aware users etc, and not programmers, it really does push the issue back to the manufacturers.

I would willingly(ish) pay for an OS that was secure, ran on the assorted (and in some cases quite limited) hardware available to me, allowed comms (email, IM, VoIP) and browsing (including all that nice rich media that makes the internet so attractive to the users who after all generate the demand, ftp, perhaps even secure online transactions etc) with an utter assurance of security. A gui that made it acceptable for users used to Windows/MacOS would be essential and no degree in computing laguages required to set up. A suite of applications that matched Office, Notes, etc would sell it to industry.

Something that, to paraphrase the appropriate tagline, just works.

There was an effort with the OLPC project. How about a new initiative that covers this?

Jobs Horns

Wake up call

These things should be tools not toys. Unfortunately they have become vital toys that own you. The fact that Apple can change your phone into something different to what you bought takes away your ownership of the phone.

We need to get control of our hardware and not let it own us.

Stop

downgraded mine

back to 3.0.1,

because 3.1 borked the tethering, I paid full price for an officially unlocked phone. Insulting.

The trick is, itunes 9 deletes all your old iphone updates on first run, you need to fish them back out of the trash quick smart.

Then alt+restore to load the old file.

Then a bit of command line in iRestore to get it booting properly again.

About an hours messing around all up.

iPhone 3.1

My iPhone 3Gs suffered some of these reported problems - screen freezing and poor battery life were the main problems. The screen freeze was an immediate problem from receipt of my new phone (3 weeks before 3.1 came out). This was replaced by Apple after having to run the phone with no 3rd party apps for about 8 hours to convince them it was not due to a dodgy app.

Then my battery life went to about 1% usage every 2 minutes after the 3.1 install. After reading the Apple discussion boards one user said it was due to the battery management software being upset by 3.1. The solution was to ensure you have a current iPhone backup (via iTunes), then reset and restore from your backup. This solved the problem, in fact my battery seems to last longer than pre 3.1.

This is just one of many "tech" issues I have had to deal with since buying an iPhone almost 2 years ago.

I would add that you need to be reasonably computer literate to deal with all the possible pitfalls of owning one of these devices. At £538, it is not far off the price of a Macbook and certainly more than the raft of elCheapo laptops on the market. This is a clue its not really a phone, but a very sophisticated mobile computing tool.

I am sure the smart people at the Genius Bar could sort many of these problems for an inexperienced user (but then you may need to lug your computer in with you to get the full service which is not really practical). But most of us in the UK have to travel a long way for that help.

I would advise everyone who doesn't think they can manage the high tech curve for using an iPhone to either wait for quite a while longer for the product to mature. But if you have one or really want one, then stump up the £59 for the Apple Care plan. This will ensure they will stay on the phone with you until you get it sorted at no cost to you (other than the £59 of course). This includes shipping another phone to you (before you return a duff one to them) at no cost, which is essential if you use the iPhone as a business tool or cant let your Farmville crops go untended for even an hour.

With the exclusivity deal coming to and end for O2 shortly, the increased uptake of the iPhone may depend on the support provided by the mobile phone operators selling the iPhone. O2 may really struggle with this as some of the sales staff cant evendeal with simple instore stock systems. Who knows how the Orange / T mobile marriage will fare.

Our lives are becoming very IT / gadget entangled. Even todays TV / HD recorder combos sometimes require significant gadget savvy to use.

Perhaps we are entering an era where the "gadget geek" may well become as integral to society as shamans of the past. Perhaps as distrusted too. I wonder what the peasants will be offering up as sacrifices in 2109.

3.1 fine with me so far...

I've just run the 3.1 update, which went very smoothly as I've come to expect and appreciate with these releases. A cursory check over the phone doesn't reveal any problems, in fact if anything it seems to be responding a bit quicker. I'll post again if I encounter any disasters.

Thumb Down

Downgrade not possible with the 3GS!

Please note that downgrading as mentioned by A. Coward above can only be done with the older 2G/3G models.

I sure miss tethering on my officially unlocked 3GS. My iPhone will go back into the box until Apple fixes this.

Warranty Concerns

Cheers to Alien8n.

I've looked an Govt advice and the act concerned. The act is typical of Govt legislation and nigh on impossible to get sense out of but I've persevered and will send my recorded letter to the O2 Complaints review dept.

This abuse of customers by big Telcos (or any business in fact) is pretty dire, but I content that the reasonable length of time they're responsible for a product couldn't be less than the time they offer contracts on a phone for. Worth a few quid in the small claims court certainly. I've also required that they train their CS staff to understand their obligations under the Act, and make the procedure for claiming in this method public.

Will update with any success.

Tata

Alex

If I pull this off though it'll be very interesting.

Grenade

Hardware & Software in Perfect Harmony

You see this is where the Apple ecosphere comes into its own. Unlike Microsoft, which has to code for a wide and varied range of processors, motherboards, components and peripherals, Apple can design for a limited range of hardware which it has full knowledge of, thus reducing the likelihood of any possible conflicts and erro ... no, wait...

Anonymous Coward

@Nokia fanbois

Don't be so smug - your Nokia doesn't need an update to cause problems. I've had Nokias since the early 90s and they all reboot just when they want, drop calls, have battery life problems.

But I'd still much rather have that that what M$ call a "smartphone" - says a bunch about their smart people I guess.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums