Feeds

back to article Google's vanity OS is Microsoft's dream

No one will be happier than Microsoft about Google's vanity venture to market computers with a Google-brand OS. It gives us the illusion of competition without seriously troubling either business, although both will obligingly huff and puff about how serious they are about this new, phoney OS war. Since both of these giants are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Well well

80+ comments at time of typing, and - as usual for every story that even mentions linux - most of them are from hysterical linux jihadi demonstrating their favourite advocacy/support technique.

That of communally shouting at anyone who refers to a misfeature of their ideological muse and insisting that said misfeature simply doesn't exist until the complainant suffers an attack of severe cognitive dissonance and goes away.

It's the wisdom of crowds.

Go

20 POUNDER UNDER MY DESK.

I had once console games, I've had them for over 20 years. You wonder why I have them no longer, and the answer is simple. Cost.

Back in the day, there was a console games rental store down the street. So, I would rent a game (either cartdrige or CD) and would play it over a weekend. Generally I would get to the *end* of it. I mean, play it top-bottom looking at every nook-and-cranny. Then I would return it to the store, for a well spent 1$.

Maybe I would rent it again (the games industry calls it replayability) maybe I would not.

20 years have gone...

I went to the store, and compare console games and PC games. Take Need for Speed Pro Street:

Play Station version $299

PC version $99

Guess which one would I buy? What is the justification for such a difference in price? "But all the dosh you spend in the game you don´t spend in the console" WRONG. In the long run, the ultimate graphics card and CPU comes out cheap, since everything else I can do in a PC gets faster as a bonus. That's why I have a 20-pound-brick under my desk, huffing and puffing hot air. No flimsy netbook can cope with such high demands as a good ol' full-tower ATX case. Not to mention it can be on 24/7, if I choose so.

- I confess, I don´t belong in the 80% people. I need processing power, and GOBS of it. I want to convert my favorite VHS to DVDs, before they rot. Maybe even better, they'll stay on the hard drive permanently.

- I need software that WORKS, not one that is just FREE. If the free is better, GREAT!

- I need (eventually) to compile something and some GREP and AWK in the way.

- I need an old-fashioned 100-T cable, and can´t stand the lag in 3G and what-not-wireless-wifi-gimmick.

- Maybe I won´t ever run a server at home, but sure as Hell I want the ability to do it.

- I use Linux AND Windows; I curse their deficiencies, and praise their finest hours, equally.

- I played Halo on the Xbox, and the gaming pad SUCKS AT IT. Give me a keyboard and mouse any day.

- Games are still going strong in PC, thank you. Some games have NO FINISH, others take MONTHS to finish.

What Google is cooking is not for me. It is designed to be mobile, dumbed-down to use, hide its inner workings and answer the hopes and dreams of 80% of the masses. Hip hip hurray for them. Windows was modified to a large extent to answer those people, and produced so far two GARGANTUAN FAILURES, named ME and Vista. It should not happen again.

Why such impatience to make all things mobile? Do you have any idea? They just want to sell you the same processing power you had 5 years ago, at 3 times cost, in a mobile platform. With (hopefully) 8 hours battery.

UTTER AND COMPLETE FAILURE.

"Uh, my mobile machine has 2GB of memory, so it is faster" BIG EFFING DEAL, the processor is so tiny and has to run so fast (clock-wise), to offset the raw processing power it lacks. Like a lawnmower machine pulling a truck.

Take my cell phone for instance. Capable of displaying a movie in a TV, taking pictures, and gaming, and filming, and playing music from MP3 and FM. However, it can´t compare to A REAL DVD player, a real Amplifier, and real DSC-camera. It is popular because it is MOBILE, you can BRAG about it, and SHOW IT AROUND.

The last thing you remember is that it is a PHONE.

The effing-huge black BELL on my desk is a phone too, and their long-distance calls barely match in quality. What is the point?

Once again, Google saw an opportunity to make a few bucks, and jumped at it. Who cares they will suck a few kernel ideas from Linux world, a few commonality ideas from Microsoft. God, I hope it works!

Move along, nothing to see here...

Silver badge

It's called the Athena

"Think of the old Psion 3 or 5 pocket computer on steroids, offering a lovely QWERTY keyboard for messaging, a screen that's good enough for browsing and a photo album, and small enough to fit in a jacket pocket. "

HTC Athena. Mine's three years old and I kept it over the smartphones available. Annoying OS at times, but it gets the job done.

Linux Failure? Hardly.

Considering that Google doesn't want to give Linux any credit for providing a solid foundation for their operating system, I suggest that when Google's new operating system is a flop, you should blame them for the outcome. Still, Google is wise to distance themselves from the Linux brand, based on the types of stereotypes commonly expressed about Linux, and its perceived difficultly of use (as you so eloquently parroted).

"Another failure for Linux?"

You've got to be kidding. Ubuntu is more than user friendly enough for moms and grandma's alike. Free software is the future, not software that spies on your usage and phones home.

Can I bash Linux too?

Replace the word Linux with Windows and Google with Microsoft and it reads like any other "Microsoft Basher" blog.

I happen to work on some of the fastest supercomputers and clusters in the world at Schlumberger.

Guess what they all run..?

Here's a hint-> it's not windows!!

And I have a fully supported Linux Desktop as my works PC alongside many others in the company.

It was the same when I was working in Sony rolling out their new TV platforms and Siemens while they are hosting bbc.co.uk.

Linux ... dead ... riiight!

Not from where I am sitting.

I have and am making a lot of money working solely on Linux systems so who says theres no money it it?

Microsoft are desperately trying to get a foot into these markets, but don't ever seem to make any progress.

Heard that somewhere before about Linux and the Desktop?

FAIL

Re: Games

"Are there really still people out there who think of the PC as a games platform? Get real."

Erm. EA certainly do, witness the recent Sims 3 release. Given that the Sims is a juggernaut of a franchise that hoovers up cash I'd guess that all of the people buying it think that too. There have been predictions of the death of the general purpose PC for many years, its not going to happen anytime soon.

This is an interesting move by Google in a limited market. Whether it gains any traction will be interesting to see. I have never understood why people gush over the latest announcements from a search engine/advertising company. Maybe its because they use Linux internally and fall into 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' territory.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.