back to article Site news: Unique commenter handles coming

We have changed the way we manage reader “handles” for story comments. Each commenter will now have a unique ID published on the site. This means that some readers — about 5000 — will see their handles change. These are people who share the same handle as others, or who have registered using more than one email address, using …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Rob

@Rob

Hey Rob, you wanna toss a coin to see who gets the no. 1 ;-)

Pirate

Hooray!

I'm still a Pirate named Dave...

J 3
Happy

Wow...

I was the 3rd J, who would have imagined...

By the way, that IS how people call me. Not only that, but that's how it gets written down in most documents here at the university. So it wouldn't be anonymous.... were it unique. Anyway, now I wonder who the original J is, and what s/he has been writing here... Still gotta decide whether to keep my "J 3" or change it to something else too.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Convenience...

With that unique handle, the scorn will fly more easily. Moderators, start your engines!

oWeb.createobject('myhandle')

thanks

Joke

well....

At least they only asked for your forename and not your foreskin.

Happy

Got there first!

Ha!

Happy

JFTFOI

I detest the use of the word "handle" in this context. The internet is not a CB radio.

Of course I also detest "nym" and most of the other alternatives just as much so I can't really made a positive suggestion.

FEWER than 10, not less

Sorry for raising my voice, but the first option for "Number of Employees" on the "edit details" page is worded incorrectly.

Unhappy

Re Edit Your Details

I've retired since signing up, but "Retired" isn't an option.

Paris Hilton

I dont get it..

not a surprise really.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re Edit Your Details

We will have to tidy this up at some point.

Not a perfect solution, by any means, but in employment details - change job title in "other" and type "retired.

AC Ident Code

Any chance of being able to distinguish ACs using a unique serial number stamped on their cowardly foreheads? That way, at least the cowardly identity of the character behind the unique coward can be challenged by reference rather than timestamp. We can then do the usual searches against each coward, identify trends, heap them into a suspected terrorist database, etc. (You must, of course, be careful never to make connections between an AC and his non-AC person.)

Cheers,

Sabahattin

(Sebby is what people call me, if I'd known it was a handle it's what I'd've used when I first signed up.)

Dead Vulture

@Steve Foster

This site talks about IT, it doesn't necessarily know about IT.

MnM
Stop

What will happen to Tim # 3?

taking a bit of a liberty on his behalf but if any other f*cker nabs that callsign, it just wouldn't be right

Happy

A title is required, but is not provided

Re: suggestions "at the usual place" ... which pub, exactly, is that?

And for anyone who has ever wondered, "Nebulo" is Latin for "layabout", so I rather fear a rash of us, given the amount of comment on these august pages.

Silver badge
Pirate

Ability to delete comments would be a plus.

There's one mad rant I'd like to delete, if I'm no longer able to claim it as the outpouring of another "peter".

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums