Feeds

back to article Dutch cat skinner publishes critics' personal details

The Dutch "artist" who in 2004 turned her pussy into a handbag under the performance art title "My dearest cat Pinkeltje (2004)" has published personal details of those who emailed her expressing their disgust. Tinkebell's My dearest cat Katinka Simonse, aka Tinkebell, copped a veritable shitstorm of e-abuse for the feline …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

JCL

@Vladimir - Of cats and cows

Vladimir, how much one-to-one experience have you had with cows? Other than seeing it in the meat aisle? Unlikely as it may seem, I've managed to nurse a cow back to health after it had a particularly harrowing birth - so bad that she lost the use of her back legs for eight weeks. So, having experience of cats and cows, I can assure you, that anyone that has spent a great deal of time doing something like this can testify that cows have as much personality as cats and are a lot more useful, you just wouldn't want it curled up at the end of your bed.

Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

How many of you lot out there hating on this girl could actually kill an animal with your own bare hands?? yet i'm sure there is a good percentage of you who eat meat/use animal based products and quite happily pass off the killing to someone else and don't think twice about it.

However just because suddenly someone killed a cat your all up in arms, get over it, it's just a cat.

I'm not saying we should all be out killing cats, but i am saying if you can't/won't kill/gut/skin an animal, you should not be allowed to use they're products.

Good on her, she's got more balls than 75% of the men i know.

Yes, i have killed animals for food purposes.. (not cats)

Paris Hilton

i'd be depressed

if i was her cat

Finally a use for dead cats...

Oh and thanks for the non-existent NSFW tag on the link at the bottom.

Silver badge

Running Away

I'd never get a chance to do that - our cats tend to just not come back one day, presumably ending up as roadkill or just expiring due to illness (feline cardiomyopathy, an apparently healthy cat can just drop dead) under a bush somewhere. The only one that got taken to the vet was 21 and didn't have a bag-worthy pelt at that point anyway.

Cats are vicious creatures though - nice and cute and furry when controlling their humans, but lethal to mice and birds. There's probably at least a dozen little carcasses in our garden - I now leave them for whatever scavenger comes and takes them every few days.

As for publishing details - if she found them on-line via websites or whois information then technically the details were already in the public domain.

Thumb Down

@Vladimir

Got to agree with @JCL. Growing up on a farm, we were never allowed to name our animals for obvious reasons. But still, if you work on keeping a sick animal alive for a few days and then it dies, it's does get you down. Just because an animal tends to end up in a basket by your bedroom door rather than on your plate doesn't make them have any more of a personality. Tasty yes, but not special. I wouldn't be able to eat my pet retriever, but I'd try dog in a different country. It's just for some people that line isn't as well defined as it is for me (and most people).

As for killing a pet dog, my great uncle had an spaniel that was on it's last legs, he took the gun out and it thought it was going shooting. When it managed to get ahead of him, he shot it. Of course those were the days before everyone took the pet to the vet, and I doubt I could be so certain that I could do it properly so the creature wouldn't feel anything.

I'm not bothered about how an animal is killed, as long as it's done properly. I can't believe anyone who's owned a pet wouldn't make the death as painless as possible. I'm able to shoot fowl & pests (about 15 grey squirrels so far), but I loath running anything over in my car because I know that it's quite possible it's still half alive in the hedge.

Happy

on a less serious note..

http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

ai can haz cheezburgar ? kthxbai

Silver badge

Who's worse?

I'm having trouble working it out. Who's worse?

Cat haters, or cat lovers?

Coat

Felicitous Felicide

When I first read the article I read that she skinned herself just to make a fashion statement.

Imagine my relief when I found out it was just her kitty. (North American notwithstanding)

Alert

What if she picked the wrong targets ?

So, "Tinkebell" and her artist mate suddenly turned into experts in hunting down "keyboard warriors", and decided to use their new-found skills to name-and-shame ?

Yeah, right.

What if they got their facts wrong, and some innocent person's details were published by mistake ? OK, the alleged "haters" shouldn't have put up all that personal information in the first place, but it could be an interesting libel case if that happened.

Also, how do we know these "haters" are real ? How do we know that "Tinkebell" didn't just create all these profiles and write the book as a bit of self-serving PR ? While everyone's in a tizzy about her "Goodbye Kitty" purse, the timer on her 15 minutes of fame gets continually reset...

Gold badge
Joke

Altogether now

Cat fight!

Cat fight!

I feel a YouTube moment coming on.

Anonymous Coward

Who's worse?

>Cat haters, or cat lovers?

Poodle owners.

<Dwarf Fortress reference>

Despite the fact cat skin only has a value mod of 2, I think this one deserves artifact status as it's part of history now

And for the record, I approve of indiscriminate butchery of household/domestic animals, but only for economic gain.

Stop

@M A Walters

"All these environMENTALists need to get a life."

What's it got to do with environmentalists? Seems there's only one mentalist here.

Anonymous Coward

I was in Ikea at the weekend.

They had a huge pile of complete cowskins, in the rug section, complete with brandmarks as well, not to mention a large basket FULL of sheepskins.

Couldn't help wondering what it would be like if they had a pile of dog and cat pelts as well.

On the other hand, what did she do with the rest of her cat's corpse after it was skinned? Surely a waste to kill and skin an animal and then not eat the meat. Would have made a lovely stew.

Thumb Up

My $0.02

Whatever..... another shock-artist making a statement..... and then making another one.

The comments here are a fun read though.

The commenter writing about the starving strays gets my serious vote.

The commenter that came up with "Goodbye Kitty" hand-bag - funniest shit ive read today.

Everyone has a right to their own moral outlook in my book.

By my own code, I dont consider "depressed" (obviously she's an animal psychologist as well as an artist?) a terminal illness requiring euthanasia.

Strangulation is not comfortable or painless or quick - I have it on first hand account from someone who survived this process after going limp enough to seem dead - so I would call it a harsh way to put something down.

For something the size of a cat i would suggest a shovel.

I have personally killed, prepared and eaten animals (once i was even hungry!) and have for my own self-respect done my utmost to ensure it was quick and as painless as possible.

To the guy who worries about the half-dead road-kill: I am the guy driving behind you who stops, gets out, finds the dying creature and finishes the job.

Now to the message the artist has, or rather what I get from it:

Examine your preconceived notions about what is cruel, what is a Pet, what is sufficient justification for taking another life and..... not yet mentioned it seems.......

consider that if you are sick and depressed enough to jump through the hoops, we can have you killed too.

The cat could not, of course sign a consent form.

Ehhhhhhh....

Why is this in the Register again? (except for the obvious Trollbaiting)

Oh yeh, cos she published some details about her detractors.

A previous commenter rightly mentioned that modern means make collation and mass-publication of public-domain personal information child's play and legal issues need to be sharpened up. Pertinent questions: has the personal safety actually been compromised for any of these art-critics? Have her detractors made threats at a level that ought to be considered by the authorities? By not pushing the threats through the proper channels is she in fact short-circuiting her proffered option of reporting them later?

So so sooooooo many more questions and lines of enquiry on this little topic......

Just once again highlights how anonymity is not a given, and of course anything you write on SpyMace can be put into anyone else's To-Flame or To-Publish Folder.

AC because I don't need a name to back up my comments, if my words do not speak for themselves then you have wasted your time reading them..... suckers

PS just as some background I have owned most domestic animal types as pets and have had to put them down on occasion myself (usually financial reasons, sometimes urgency) and it hurts but watching them suffer hurts even more.

Oh, and my mother-in-law has it in her will that she wants her hide tanned and displayed in the family home when she is gone (to save her tattoos!)

Unhappy

Sicko

Something is wrong with this person, not surprised Tiddles was depressed, living with a psychopath would be depressing.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.