Feeds

back to article You're barcoded: The sneaky under-25 route to compulsory ID

There has been much tabloid fury about recent reports that two Royal Marines, just back from the front line in Afghanistan, were refused entry to a pub because they only had military ID. Is this just a storm in a pint glass, or evidence of yet more subtle pressure by Government to persuade all of us that ID cards would be a good …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

weighing it up....... losing a passport vs kids who are going to get drunk anyway

I'm sorry but hundreds of people losing or being put at risk of losing (or having them stolen!) VERY important documents is a far worse problem than a couple of 19 year olds getting drunk.

I HATE being expected to take my freaking PASSPORT when I need to "prove" how old I am. Why should I have to carry important documents on me all the time just because I don't look old enough to buy what I am legally allowed to buy ????!

I don't drive and even if I did...my driving licence and passport would both have specific purposes. One would be to allow me to DRIVE and the other to allow me to get into other countries. I did not sign up for it so I could flash it to every shop keeper on the block. It is my personal possesion and a very important one at that. One that will be ridiculously bad and troublesome for me to lose. (not to mention if our entire biometric ID's are lost or stolen! What will they do to fix that problem? Implant chips in us all?!)

Knives, medicine etc should not be restricted. It is a free country. If someone wants to overdose, who cares? That is their right to do so.

NEWSFLASH, the drunk delinquent kids are getting their booze from their OLDER FRIENDS, OLDER BROTHERS AND SISTERS and in some cases PARENTS.

Unless the police plan to sit outside of all shops that sell booze and watch for the shady 'transactions', or take the names of everyone who buys alcohol, and get proof of the drinkage, then alcohol is still going to get passed on to kids, and all these protect-the-children laws are doing is harassing and making life hard for law-abiding adults trying to get on with life and have some peace and privacy while making a normal purchase.

We all should have the basic right to do that, instead of being treated like a liar or a criminal, which seems to be the angle this government is taking with regards to all new laws and regulations.

Happy

Barclaycard works better than a miltary ID then...

Happened to me last year at the age of 25 the week I moved house. Naturally being a law abiding citizen I'd sent my driving license off to have its address updated... a witches coven, I mean 3 checkout ladies all decided I didn't look 21 and that I couldn't have alcohol.

That changed when I said I was paying via credit card. Checkout lady took one look at that and said 'you have to be 18 to have one of those don't you?' and beeps the alcohol through.

I didn't think a Barclaycard was exactly a legal form of ID but hey... common sense prevailed I suppose!

All this has changed pretty quickly.

I'm 21, at age 16 I had no problem getting served in wetherspoons, the staff just didn't care. Nowadays, they always ask me for ID... which I don't have after losing my passport on a night out. Do have an expired student card which does the trick 90% of the time though.

I don't have any problems with other pubs/ clubs... wetherspoons only bother because they're always so busy, other places won't turn away the custom unless you look like a rowdy bugger... which was probably the real reason those marines got turned away.

Supemarkets are the other one that's big on ID... but that varies wildly between checkout staff. A friend of mine works in Tesco and according to her there's only one tesco-evangelist person working there who will be completely and utterly obtuse when it comes to ID (sorry granny, no brandy for you!)... everyone else just wants to keep the queue moving along and waiting for someone to fumble around with their wallet for an ID card doesn't help with that.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.