back to article Brits decline to 'think outside the box'

Free Pro-active Download - Going Forward with Blue-sky Thinking for Web 2.0 It's official: Brits do not, at the end of the day, want to think outside the box, touch base, indulge in blue-sky thinking or, for that matter, get pro-active with some 360° thinking. That's the verdict of a YouGov poll into "buffling" - the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. foo_bar_baz

@stephen roberts

active is the antonym of passive, proactive that of reactive.

2. spiny norman
    Thumb Down

Americans

There's such a constant stream of this stuff coming out of the US it's impossible for mere mortals to keep up with. Seems they just can't bear to keep using words that have served the rest of us for centuries. Some additions I now suffer on a daily basis: "interlock" = "agree", "share" = "give", "reach out" = "ask".

3. Zmodem

chimps

if no thought outside the box. nothing would get done. and nothing new would be achieved

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

There is no I in team

But there is in winner.

5. Mudslinger

Did anyone mention

Ahead of time? - used to be early.

6. Steven H Taylor
    Stop

'Downsizing' is so nineties

In the naughties this euphemism was replaced by the no less horrifying 'rightsizing', which in turn looks to be replaced by 'redesigning'.

I was also surprised not to find 'ballpark figure', 'low-hanging fruit' and 'being on the same page' in the top 20.

7. Pum
    Happy

There's no "I" in Team ...

... but there's 4 in platitude quoting idiot.

8. Turbo Beholder
    Happy

Buzzwordz cause brain to buzz. And spark.

- You're thinking 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' And to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement, but being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful handgun in the world - and it will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk!?

- <click> Please don't lose attention. It's .38 special, and it's enough because i don't compensate for anything. Do ya want to start *thinking outside of the box* ?

__

- Does it work or not ?

- Here's an easy test: *touch base*

__

- *Heads up* !

- Too high for grapnel ! Release valve rope is torn ! And we're still in updraft !

- Time for some *blue sky thinking*...

__

- You really need some cold *thought shower*.

__

- *360° thinking* is not good when you have to deal with modern anti-ship missiles. You really need full hemisphere protection.

__

# *In the loop* (self-explanatory)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What's wrong with OOTB?

While I agree that anyone using the word "synergistic", which strangely is not on this list, should be given a slow and painful death, I fail to see what's wrong with "out of the box".

You're in IT. You planning to buy some pricey kit. You want to know if it will do what you want without needing any customizations, so you don't have to spend a bundle on consultants. "Will it do _______ out of the box?" is a perfectly acceptable (and, if I may add, succinct) way of asking this question.

Anybody who agrees that OOTB deserves to be on this list has just not spent enough time in IT to be wasting time in the comments section at this particular rag. :-)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

"All of it"

i'm going to suggest that "all of it" isn't a phrase in itself but rather an "all of the above" answer to the question which phrase pisses you off the most...?

also loved the "They're just a bunch of euphemisms" post

11. Gary
    Flame

The word that is used to often...

these days in all walks of like is 'Random'.

It was quite clever when it first started being used but now people use it all the time whenever something slightly strange or odd happens.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tried my best

At this moment in time, those in the loop are pushing the envelope but at

the end of the day it's probably time to touch base and admit we missed

the heads up about the credit crunch.

We can't all be pro-active about downsizing but it did need flagging up.

Maybe if we were all singing from the same hymn sheet, we could have

brainstormed a thought shower of 360 thinking and chucked blue sky thinking

out of the box.

Think Ducks-in-a-row; think ALL of it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like