Feeds

back to article Police vet live music, DJs for 'terror risk'

A dozen London boroughs have implemented a "risk assessment" policy for live music that permits the police to ban any live music if they fail to receive personal details from the performers 14 days in advance. The demand explicitly singles out performances and musical styles favoured by the black community: garage and R&B, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Why doesn't this stuff get on the front page of the BBC, Grauniad, Times etc?

They're too busy Twittering:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/13/twitter_radio/

Alert

Open your eyes doubters

If you doubt this article, have a read of this story that did the rounds a few months back, when the police cancelled a babyshambles gig:

http://www.nme.com/news/babyshambles/39056

Here's an excerpt:

Chief Superintendent Julian Kirby, divisional commander of Wiltshire Police, said: "We carried out an analysis of what Pete Doherty and his band does. "What he does as part of his routine is to gee up the crowd. They speed up and then slow down the music and create a whirlpool effect in the crowd. "They [the crowd] all get geed up and then they start fighting."

Seriously? Babyshambles fans are pretty tame, hardly something for operation trident to worry about.

Does it still seem like El Reg are making a mountain out of a molehill?

Face -> Palm.

Anonymous Coward

@Open your eyes doubters

I prefer my reading of that passage,

"[SS] Chief Superintendent Julian [The Nazi] Kirby, divisional commander of Wiltshire Police, said: 'We carried out an analysis of what Pete Doherty and his band does. 'What he does as part of his routine is to gee up the crowd. They speed up and then slow down the music and create a whirlpool effect in the crowd. 'They [the crowd] all get geed up and then they start fighting.''"

It's not that I think that the Met are a group of Racist, Fascist, Pigs, it's that I know they are.

J
Black Helicopters

Seriously, WTF?

Quite amazing, indeed.

It's funny, how things seem to be converging now. The "Western" countries adopting lots from the book of the communist (or otherwise) dictatorships for social/political control, while letting savage capitalism grow to ever greater heights. Fascism, innit? At the same time, the likes of China do the same, in slightly reversed directions; getting wilder in the capitalism, a little less "out there" in the repression (but with mostly same results).

Anonymous Coward

This year

I'll visit Russian. . So how long does it take to get a visa to the UK ??.

Anonymous Coward

Grime & Punishment

As an organisation (see www.blessedlovestudios.co.uk)that works with black youth, who make grime music and are linked to so called gangs, we were truely shocked, but not suprised by this article. The young people we work with are increasingly recent converts or sympathetic to Islam. Some of them use the term 'Taliban' to describe thier militancy and are openly hostile to the police and state. Perhaps this would convince many that these measures are appropriate. The truth however is that these same young people are on the whole extreamly vulnerable, loving towards thier families and communities, and passionate about thier art. Thier music is a reflection of the brutal realities of thier day to day lives (getting stop and searched by the police, being excluded from education & training and a constant fear of death from street rivals) Most have spent time in the secure estate (Feltham Young Offenders Institution has been the main recruiting grounds for street gangs for a long time, and a steady stream of alienated, disafected young people are constantly being referred too them by our criminal justice system)

Measures like these serve to remind black youth that they are always under suspision, and if they insist on getting together into groups and express thier anger (or anything else) they will be branded 'terrorists'. This was recently highlighted by Newsnights Jeremy Paxman asking Dizzie Rascal 'do you consider yourself to be British' over a debate about Barack Obama. The assumption if you are a young black person in the UK and speak non standard english you are somehow open to having your national identity questioned.

We know young people are very sensitive to 'projections' from those around them, and if society in general label them terrorists, criminals or just thugs...thats what they will be. Each generation seems to forget that from Teddy Boys to Punks, young people have attempted to 'shock' and unsettle the status quo. Long may this continue.

Listen to the tracks 'Positive' and 'Reality' on our ReverbNation player (on the right of this blog) by one of our artists Jahmai for an illustration of how young people feel. See our website

http://blessedlovestudios.co.uk

Stop

@Open your eyes doubters 17:04 GMT

"It's not that I think that the Met are a group of Racist, Fascist, Pigs, it's that I know they are."

No they're not, far from it.

If you opened your eyes you might see it. But you won't, because you're a bigot.

Go

"No they're not, FAR FROM IT."

Macpherson enquiry?

Institutionalised racism?

Hardly "far from it" now, is it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.